Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The way I heard Einstein's riddle is thus:

"There are five houses.
The Englishman lives in the red house.
The Spaniard owns the dog.
Coffee is drunk in the green house.
The Ukrainian drinks tea.
The green house is immediately to the right of the ivory house.
The Old Gold smoker owns snails.
Kools are smoked in the yellow house.
Milk is drunk in the middle house.
The Norwegian lives in the first house.
The man who smokes Chesterfields lives in the house next to the man with the fox.
Kools are smoked in the house next to the house where the horse is kept.
The Lucky Strike smoker drinks orange juice.
The Japanese smokes Parliaments.
The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
Now, who drinks water? Who owns the zebra?"

The solution to that:
The yellow first house has the Norwegian, who smokes kools, drinks water, and keeps a fox.
The blue second house has the Ukrainian, who smokes chesterfields, drinks tea, and has a horse.
The red third house has the Englishman, who smokes Old Golds, drinks milk, and keeps snails.
The ivory fourth house has the Spaniard, who smokes Lucky Strikes, drinks orange juice, and keeps a dog.
The green fifth house has the Japanese man, who smokes parliaments, drinks coffee, and has a zebra.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it the German in the Green house who drinks Coffee and smokes Prince the one that owns Fish?

Ah, but you didn't say the fourth house, ha

Haha, I can take a picture of the white board that I drew it all out on at work if you want.

ETA:
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it the German in the Green house who drinks Coffee and smokes Prince the one that owns Fish?

Haha, I can take a picture of the white board that I drew it all out on at work if you want.

This is ARFCOM so pics or it didn't happen...

PS: Bonus points for a MSPaint of the confused look () of your coworker who caught you charting it all out.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS: Bonus points for a MSPaint of the confused look () of your coworker who caught you charting it all out.

Ok, will work on the MS paint.

Edit to add MS Paint:

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#5]
this thread reminds me of LSAT prep, fuck this shit!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Please do not cheat. If you already know the answer to a riddle, or have looked it up on google, do not post it.

I'm doing this one from memory, so hopefully I explain it correctly.
http://www.m4a3.com/pictures/arfcom/riddle.jpg

These men are about to be killed by bandits. Two of them are wearing white hats, and two of them are wearing black hats.
Three of them stand on one side of the (non-reflective) wall, and one on the other. They cannot move their heads or will be shot. (Eyeballs in the picture indicate the direction they're facing)
They know all of these stipulations except none of the men know the arrangement of hat colors apart from two men having black, and two men having white.
The bandits give any one of them a chance to live. The first person among them to correctly guess what color hat he is wearing will be set free.
If they guess wrong, they will be killed.

One of these men has a nearly flawless method of guessing correctly. Which one is it, and what is this method?  

Man #3 knows what color his hat is.

#2 and #3 cannot have the same color hat, or else #4 would know that his hat was the other color.  Man #3 would know that if his hat must be different from #2, and since he knows what #2's color is, he knows that his hat is the opposite color.

I promise I did not look it up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is Einstein's Riddle.
I just finished it––it's not particularly difficult, but will take you a little while to work it out.

- In a street there are five houses, painted    five different colors.

- In each house lives a person of different    nationality.

- These five homeowners each drink a different    kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different    pet.

Einstein's riddle is: Who owns the fish?

Necessary clues:

1. The British man lives in a red house.
   2. The Swedish man keeps dogs as pets.
   3. The Danish man drinks tea.
   4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
   5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
   6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
   7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
   8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.
   9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
   10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps    cats.
   11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes    Dunhill.
   12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
   13. The German smokes Prince.
   14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
   15. The Blends smoker lives next to the one who drinks water.

I'll be back this evening with the answer

Fairly sure I have this one correct.

ETA: Yes, I am. Beaten by like three people in the meantime though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please do not cheat. If you already know the answer to a riddle, or have looked it up on google, do not post it.

These men are about to be killed by bandits. Two of them are wearing white hats, and two of them are wearing black hats.
Three of them stand on one side of the (non-reflective) wall, and one on the other. They cannot move their heads or will be shot. (Eyeballs in the picture indicate the direction they're facing)
They know all of these stipulations except none of the men know the arrangement of hat colors apart from two men having black, and two men having white.
The bandits give any one of them a chance to live. The first person among them to correctly guess what color hat he is wearing will be set free.

One of these men has a nearly flawless method of guessing correctly. Which one is it, and what is this method?  

Man #3 knows what color his hat is.

#2 and #3 cannot have the same color hat, or else #4 would know that his hat was the other color.  Man #3 would know that if his hat must be different from #2, and since he knows what #2's color is, he knows that his hat is the opposite color.

I promise I did not look it up.

DAMIT,  you just beat me! That was my guess as well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is Einstein's Riddle.
I just finished it––it's not particularly difficult, but will take you a little while to work it out.

- In a street there are five houses, painted    five different colors.

- In each house lives a person of different    nationality.

- These five homeowners each drink a different    kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different    pet.

Einstein's riddle is: Who owns the fish?

Necessary clues:

1. The British man lives in a red house.
   2. The Swedish man keeps dogs as pets.
   3. The Danish man drinks tea.
   4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
   5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
   6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
   7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
   8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.
   9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
   10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps    cats.
   11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes    Dunhill.
   12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
   13. The German smokes Prince.
   14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
   15. The Blends smoker lives next to the one who drinks water.

I'll be back this evening with the answer

The Prince smoking, coffee drinking, German in the green house is rumored to keep fish.... I think.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a pretty easy one.

You stop in a little town, you have to have a haircut, and there are only two barbers in the town. You must choose which one, only by seeing the two men.

The first has a very nice, clean shop in a good part of town, and is well groomed himself.
The other has a run-down hole in the wall, on the bad side of town, and looks like he got attacked by a weedwhacker.

Who do you go to and why?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You stop in a little town, you have to have a haircut, and there are only two barbers in the town. You must choose which one, only by seeing the two men.

The first has a very nice, clean shop in a good part of town, and is well groomed himself.

The other has a run-down hole in the wall, on the bad side of town, and looks like he got attacked by a weedwhacker.

The second one, his hair was cut by the first barber.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Go to the one who looks like he got worked over with a weedwacker because the other barber did his hair.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#13]
You are walking through a park, and stumble upon a bomb propped up against a fountain. You open the box (as their may be little kids around and you don't want to leave it), which tells you how you can disarm the bomb. You are given a 5 gallon jug, and a 3 gallon jug. To disarm the bomb, you must place EXACTLY 4 gallons of water on the attached scale. An oz. more or an oz. less will trigger the bomb. What do you do?

And an easier one: You are digging a hole, 8'x10'x6'. How much dirt is in the hole?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You are walking through a park, and stumble upon a bomb propped up against a fountain. You open the box (as their may be little kids around and you don't want to leave it), which tells you how you can disarm the bomb. You are given a 5 gallon jug, and a 3 gallon jug. To disarm the bomb, you must place EXACTLY 4 gallons of water on the attached scale. An oz. more or an oz. less will trigger the bomb. What do you do?

And an easier one: You are digging a hole, 8'x10'x6'. How much dirt is in the hole?

Fill the 5 gallon just and pour 3 gallons into the other jug.  Empty the 3 gallon jug.  Pour the remaining 2 gallons from the 5 gallon jug to the 3 gallon jug.  Fill the 5 gallon jug again.  Pour 1 gallon from the 5 gallon jug to the 3 leaving 4 gallons in the 5 gallon jug.

Been watching Die Hard2?

Holes don't have dirt in them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fill the 3 gallon. Dump into 5. Fill 3 again. Dump into 5.

That gives one gal. in the 3.

Empty the 5, dump the 3 into the 5. Now you have one gal. in the 5.

Fill the 3 and dump into the 5. Now the 5 has four gallons.

ETA: Interesting. Two independent solutions to the same problem.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Been watching Die Hard2?

It may or may not have been on last night
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
bring goose over first
go back with an empty boat
grab the fox head over
go back with the goose
leave the goose and go over with the grain/flour
go back an pick up the goose

I think

Yep

I honestly thought why not let the GOOSE swim over lol.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A man lives on the 22nd floor of an apartment building in NY.  Every morning he takes the elevator to the bottom floor and goes to work.  Every evening he takes the elevator to the 13th floor and walks up the stairs up to the 22nd.  Why?

He's a midget and can only reach to the 13th floor button.

He stopped for some PIE on the 13th floor???
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fill the 5 gallon just and pour 3 gallons into the other jug.  Empty the 3 gallon jug.  Pour the remaining 2 gallons from the 5 gallon jug to the 3 gallon jug.  Fill the 5 gallon jug again.  Pour 1 gallon from the 5 gallon jug to the 3 leaving 4 gallons in the 5 gallon jug.

Been watching Die Hard3?

Holes don't have dirt in them.

Fixed

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#20]
A woman has seven children.  Half of her children are boys.  How is this possible?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Okay... swear to God, I didn't cheat!

That being said... if #4 saw two white hats on the people in front of him, he'd know his hat was black.

If he saw two black hats, he'd know his was white.

If he says nothing, then he must be looking at 2 different colored hats.

Now, if #3 can figure that out... and knowing that the guy in front of him has a white hat... then he knows that his hat is black.

Do I get an internet cookie?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#22]
What stinks when living and smells good when dead?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#23]
A woman has seven children. Half of her children are boys. How is this possible?

All of them are boys?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#24]
You are in a room with two doors.  One door leads to freedom, the other leads to instant death.  In the room are two robots.  One robot always tells the truth, and the other robot always lies.  You don't know which one tells the truth and which one lies.  You can ask one question to one robot.  What question do you ask (and what action do you take) to guarantee your freedom?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#25]
A traveler comes to a fork in the road.

One fork leads to the City of Lies. The other leads to the City of Truth.

There are two men standing at the fork in the road, a Liar and a Truth-Teller.

However, the traveler doesn't know which is which.

If the traveler is allowed to ask one man, one question... what question will lead him to the City of Truth?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You are in a room with two doors.  One door leads to freedom, the other leads to instant death.  In the room are two robots.  One robot always tells the truth, and the other robot always lies.  You don't know which one tells the truth and which one lies.  You can ask one question to one robot.  What question do you ask (and what action do you take) to guarantee your freedom?

Oh shit... how funny is that?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Dick and Jane were found dead on the floor, which was soaked in water, surrounded by broken glasss.  The window was open.  How did they die?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh shit... how funny is that?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Pick one and ask him which path the other one would say was the path to the City of Truth.  Then use the opposite path from the one indicated.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I've got one-

A man offers you your choice of 10 bags each have 10 coins in it. 9 are filled with fake gold coins, 1 has real gold coins in it.  He also has a scale that you may use once.  The fake gold coins weigh 1lb each, the real ones weigh 1lb 1oz each.  You can't tell by hand which is which.

how do you figure out which bag has the real coins.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Lager yeast.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lager yeast.

No
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit to add MS Paint:

Good job...

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I am not going to look through the thread to see the answer, but I will give my answer.

Guy #3 is the one that can tell what color hat he is wearing.  Reason is simple.  

He can see the guy in front of him with a white hat, and he knows that there is a person behind him.  Since the person behind him can see both #2 and #3, and #3 can see that #2 has a white hat, he can deduce that he is wearing a black hat.  Reason is simple:  #4 can see both #2 and #3, and if they were both wearing white hats, than #4 would obviously know the answer, which would defeat the purpose of the riddle.  So #3 must know that he and #2 have different colored hats, therefore, he has to have the black hat.  

How did I do?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lager yeast.

Various animals.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've got one-

A man offers you your choice of 10 bags each have 10 coins in it. 9 are filled with fake gold coins, 1 has real gold coins in it.  He also has a scale that you may use once.  The fake gold coins weigh 1lb each, the real ones weigh 1lb 1oz each.  You can't tell by hand which is which.

I assume that the whole point is that you can remove coins from each bag?

Put the bags in an order.  You take one coin out of bag one, two coins out of bag two, three out of bag three and so forth, taking ten coins out of bag ten.  Make sure to stack them individually so that they can be returned to their respective bags.  Weigh all ten stacks together.

However many ounces are in the measurement is the number of real gold coins in the whole set.  Return that stack to the real bag and take that one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lager yeast.

No

You've never tasted "green" lager, have you?  

It's like sour gym socks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've got one-

This is much more interesting than work.

I think Ive got it:  Pull one coin from bag one, two from bag two, etc. and the remaning number of ounces on the weight measurement will be the bag # with the real coins in it.

Ah, beaten.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit to add MS Paint:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3396/3636604164_a779b3bfa8_o.jpg

Good job...

Hey, if ARFCOM demands MS Paint, who am I to disagree?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lager yeast.

No

You've never tasted "green" lager, have you?  

It's like sour gym socks.

Bacon
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got one-

A man offers you your choice of 10 bags each have 10 coins in it. 9 are filled with fake gold coins, 1 has real gold coins in it. He also has a scale that you may use once. The fake gold coins weigh 1lb each, the real ones weigh 1lb 1oz each. You can't tell by hand which is which.

This is much more interesting than work.

I think Ive got it: Pull one coin from bag one, two from bag two, etc. and the remaning number of ounces on the weight measurement will be the bag # with the real coins in it.

Ah, beaten.

yep
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#42]
One train leaves from Boston bound for NYC at 12:15PM moving at 65 mph.  Another Leaves from NYC bound for Boston at 12:45PM, moving at 70 mph.  There is 245 miles of track between the Boston station and the NYC station, in roughly a straight line.  Superman, noticing that the trains are on the same track, decides to fly between the trains, leaving the Boston station simultaneously with the train bound for NYC at 12:15PM.  He flies along the track at 200 mph until he comes to the train bound for Boston, then turns around and flies back, reversing his course until he meets the train bound for NYC again.  Each trip becomes shorter as the two trains speed towards each other.  At 1:45PM, the trains meet and Superman is there to heroically stop the trains.  How many miles does Superman fly in order to save the trains?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Dick and Jane were found dead on the floor, which was soaked in water, surrounded by broken glasss.  The window was open.  How did they die?

Icicle
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#44]
The guy with the gun wins.
The other three are democrats.

ARH

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I concur.

House 1 - Yellow / Norwegian / Cats / Water / Dunhills
House 2 - Blue / Danish / Horses / Tea / Blends
House 3 - Red / British / Birds / Milk / Pall Malls
House 4 - Green / German / Fish / Coffee / Princes
House 5 - White / Swedish / Dogs / Beer / Blue Masters
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#46]
The German is correct.

Supposedly 98% of the world can't solve that puzzle. Not sure if I believe that, but here's the picture I made:

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The German is correct.
Supposedly 98% of the world can't solve that puzzle. Not sure if I believe that, but here's the picture I made:

http://www.m4a3.com/pictures/arfcom/einstein%20riddle.jpg

My Mom got me hooked on those logic problems when I was a kid.  The trick is to use a matrix to eliminate possibilities and from there deduce the correct answer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#48]
A rich man meets three women.  He cannot choose which one to marry, so he decides to give each woman $25,000 to see what they do with it.

The first woman uses the money and goes on a spending spree, buying clothes, shoes, electronics, a car, and various other such items for herself.  After one week she has nothing left.

The second woman buys a very nice car and gives it to him as a gift to show how generous she is.

The third woman takes the money and invests in stock of various companies that she shrewdly determines will do well, and within the first week her money has more than doubled.  She reimburses the man the money he gave her, uses part of the remaining money to buy him a nice car and a set of professional golf clubs, and keeps the rest of the money invested to grow more.

Which woman does the man marry?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A rich man meets three women.  He cannot choose which one to marry, so he decides to give each woman $25,000 to see what they do with it.

The first woman uses the money and goes on a spending spree, buying clothes, shoes, electronics, a car, and various other such items for herself.  After one week she has nothing left.

The second woman buys a very nice car and gives it to him as a gift to show how generous she is.

The third woman takes the money and invests in stock of various companies that she shrewdly determines will do well, and within the first week her money has more than doubled.  She reimburses the man the money he gave her, uses part of the remaining money to buy him a nice car and a set of professional golf clubs, and keeps the rest of the money invested to grow more.

The one with the biggest boobs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one with the biggest boobs.

You win an internet cigar.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top