Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#1]
suicide in families are aways reoccuring..This maybe the 2nd, and if complete see susicde #3 with your son or daughter when they get problems...

that should stop you
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you are in a hell of a hole with no relief in sight.  Here's what you do:

Quit drinking.  Pour what you have left down the sink or commode.

Decide right here and now that you are going to straighten your life out.

Talk to God about it.  Ask him to put his hand into your life.

Don't worry about figuring all the details right now.

Tomorrow is Sunday.  Plan tonight on what time you need to get up to go to church, even if you haven't been in years.  Go ahead and lay out your clothes, etc.

Go to church in the morning.  Pay attention.  The message will be for you.  

Share your problems with someone there; take up the offer from some of the Ohio ARFCOM members; or call a hotline.  JUST DON'T GO IT ALONE.

God Loves You.  He wants me to tell you that.

You can make this the turning point in your life!  Stand on your damned feet and fight for your life!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't do anything that you would not want to be remembered by. please call one of the hundreds of suicide hotlines, if need be Voluntarily admit your self to a mental hospital, suicide in NEVER an option.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Your grand kids for one.  Do you think the guns will be something they will remember you by?  They want their grandpa, not some heirloom.  Your Dad killed himself, now you are thinking about it.  Time to break the cycle so your daughter and grand kids don't think that suicide is an option.  Sell the guns, get a job, (even if it is at WalMart), and if you can't live for yourself, do it for your family.  Things will get better.  Seek help from a professional.  There has to be some free resources in your community.

plus 100, see a preacher, go to the Hospital, get yourself right,,61 isnt checking out time..
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
1. Quit drinking if it is effecting your family.

2. Get A job, any job. Pride wont pay the bills or buy grandkids birthday presents.

3. Try to make one person smile during your day. Even if its not you it feels good inside.

Attitude is everything. Some days its hard as hell to crawl out of bed to go to work, but when you get back home you have accomplished something.

Something is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Be Strong Sparky!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
It would make your daughter cry - and probably think its her fault or could have done something.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#8]
the bible says you're going to hell if you commit suicide.

don't know whatcha going to do there. rock and a hard place, eh?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Im not religious but if you think it might help then you need to get involved in a group or a church.  Also as others were saying anything is better than nothing so get a job.  Sell all guns except for what you strictly need for self defense.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of strangers care about you!

Don't cause more pain for your family.  Do what you can to make things better.

At 61, you have so much life experience and wisdom to be shared with others.  Don't waste it.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Anything is better than nothing.  A door greater will be just fine.

seek out a church as offered above.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm almost 61 yrs. old, not employed, living in the basement with daughter and son in law,also not employed.

About loosing  "the farm".

Can't make payments on my life insurance or my truck

I've already sold a couple of nice firearms and don't want to sell them all,,,,leave some for my grandsons

Don't want to be the "door greeter" at Wal Mart

I've out lived my Dad––––––––hung himself at 52

About the only thing I'm worried about is my 2 dogs, but thinking about a "triple"

Anyone got a good reason "why NOT TO"?

Think about how your dad's suicide affected your life  and how even now you wonder how things might b different were he still around or had lived longer. That is what is going to happen to your daughter.

Also, seriously consider seeing a doctor. Do not apply a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#15]

When I'm feeling down... I walk, then I walk some more, then I walk even more.  Smell the air, watch the birds, look at some flowers, go watch some ducks at a pond or lake.  Go sit at a park and watch kids playing... there are so many beautiful things in this world you will miss if you quit.  Don't be a quiter. Don't murder your pets.  There is no promise what lies on the other side, just enjoy the simple things...

I took this picture the other day... even in the storm there is beauty.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Been down that road before, the best thing to do is to get out of the house, or Go talk to someone, whether it be a hotline or if it is someone you know personally

The worst thing to do is sit and think, your mind can bring you to dangerous conclusions. Your best course of action is to not be alone, just having someone

to talk to can make a world of difference.

Hang in there, just think of your grandchildren and what they would rather have in their lives, i bet they would rather have you than a whole collection of memories.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Couple of things... first of all, listen to what the guys here are telling you.  I'm proud to be an arfcommer seeing how this support is coming through.

Second, get the booze out of your house and your life.  It's not doing you or your family any good.

Life is hard brother, I know this as much as you do.  I lost my grandfather when I was young.  I miss him dearly to this very day.  I cherish the memories that I have of him, even the bad ones.  He left at God's calling, not by his own hand.  If you take your own life, how will your grandchildren remember you?  Will you be proud of how they remember you?  It may seem the easy way out for you, but it makes it that much harder on your family who are also having problems.

The solution is to sit down with your family, get rid of the booze, have a very frank discussion and work to get back on your feet.  As others have said and offered, there is help out there.  Use that help and become a stronger person.  See a doctor about your depression and visit the Lord's house.  No one will ridicule you for seeking help, I know that think very highly of you for taking the first step to recovery.  You asked for help.  Now, take the guidance that you've been given and give your grandchildren more wonderful memories to cherish throughout their lives.

God Bless you and I pray that you and your family find happiness and prosperity.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#18]
This is my wife writing:

Dear Sir,
I'll give you the reason why you should live.....you are precious person in the eyes of God. Even when others fail you, circumstances fail you, HE will never fail you. Your situation may make you feel like there is no hope, but you do have hope in Jesus Christ! I will pray for you and please give your problems to Jesus, and he will give you the Grace to get through it. It takes all sort of things sometimes to bring people to the Lord. Maybe, this is your time, maybe you needed to be at your lowest to realize you need HIM. Like my husband stated earlier, you are welcome to our church anytime. Your friend in Christ, Shannon
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Two reasons:

1) Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems. Things and can and do change.

2) Funerals are expensive.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to ponder such things when I was down.  Then things would get better, then through my choices or for reasons out of my control  I would fall again.  Eventually I realized, why punch the timecard when I'm at rock bottom, when things can only go up?  My new policy is to wait till Im on top of the world.  Once i have a mansion, a supercar, a supermodel, and I've just witnessed a 24 hr rockin nonstop concert of all my favorite musical acts, ON TOP OF MT EVEREST.... then I can think about it.  After all, if your at the opposite of rock bottom, things can only go down
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Sparky,

Be strong. you do have a job. You are a grandad. Grandchildren need their grandfather, all of them do.  Spend some time with them. tell them stories about when you were their age. You are one of the most important persons in their lives. You make a difference to them.

Take any job, even temporaily or even volunteer work. Homeless shelters need help, So does the USO. help someone and see the joy you bring to their life.

Go fishing and catch dinner for the family.

Stop drinking temporarily

And most of all, and I'm not a relgous person, talk to God and ask him for strength and opportunity to make a difference. If you do, you will soon see the answer.

If you are a verteran, you have free medical help available at the VA. Either way, seek help, your grandkids deserve to have their grandfather.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Mach
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Others beat me to the punch, but I'd be happy to pick up a lunch or a few beers if we're ever close by.  There's a lot going on with my family now too or I'd be more free to travel, but sometimes it's just nice to talk to another person whose life isn't all rainbows and roses.

Folks have already made a lot of good points.  You clearly care for your grandkids or you wouldn't be worried about saving some nice guns for them.  That's reason enough.

Even when things are darkest though, I always keep in mind that I've got forever to be dead.  Whatever that means to you or anyone else - heaven, hell, everything or nothing - you've got eternity to experience it.  This life, even at its shittiest, is still something you've got less than a blink of infinity to feel.  At their absolute worst, we're still lucky to have lived the lives we've got, and far ahead of billions who never made it this far.  Sometimes all you can conclude is that the struggle itself has been its own reward.

Keep your head up and hang in there.  There's a lot of things worth dying for, but yourself is never one of them.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm almost 61 yrs. old, not employed, living in the basement with daughter and son in law,also not employed.

I've already sold a couple of nice firearms and don't want to sell them all,,,,leave some for my grandsons

About the only thing I'm worried about is my 2 dogs, but thinking about a "triple"

Don't hurt your family like that! The immense pain that it would cause will devastate them.

God loves you and doesn't want you to waste the one life that you have been given.

Find a job, it doesn't have to be a high paying one to make ends meet.

ETA: Find a friend, pastor, church group, or someone to talk to!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#24]
#1 as others said, put the bottle down.  None of the answers you're looking for will be found in there.  

My grandfather was a WWII vet who enlisted at 17.  He came back from the war and tried to solve his problems that way, and he lived to the ripe age of 41.

A friend of mine took his own life, and there's not much else that strikes a nerve with me more than suicide and drinking.

My mom is 62 and been through 2 abusive marriages.  She got married last year and is happier than I've ever seen her.  Don't get down about your age.  Everybody goes through things, and you're not too old to have a new beginning.  Mend your fences with your son.  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why not?  Because you should deny Obama the satisfaction.   I would walk around with jumper cables hanging out my ass and connected to a Honda generator if that is what it takes to outlive the Obama administration.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#26]
What part of Ohio? IM me if you'd like.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#27]
My brother took that route in 2003.

Let me tell you, it really does a number on the people who care about you.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I have no idea about what your religious inclination is, but you're in my prayers sparky. Remember that suicide is a permanent solultion to a temporary problem!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Other than the serious repercussions that your daughter and Grandchildren will suffer for the rest of their lives?  Seek help!!!

THIS Just about the only reason I wake up in the mornings is my grandson. I do have a job but am buried in debt due to some medical problems and a divorce. Stay alive for the grandkids, hell take them to a park and watch them have fun. All I can do with mine is what ever is free but he keeps me living.

Hang in there man, you aren't alone in this fight.
Keith
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#30]
About 2 years ago a good friend shot himself in the head.His wife had left him some months before and he had lost his job to "downsizing" He was fifty years old and a mechanical engineer.He was always very out-going,friendly,pleasant guy and a former Indiana State Pistol Champion.He shot himself with a .22 WHILE TALKING WITH HIS WIFE ON THE PHONE.He was despondent because his wife wouldn't take him back and because he'd applied for MANY jobs and hadn't even got an interview.....UNTIL THE VERY NEXT DAY when a prospective employer called and left a message with an appointment  to meet for a job interview.
 My point is simply NEVER GIVE UP! There is ALWAYS something to look forward to and you never know when a good opportunity will arrive...
 My wife's Dad killed himself with a shotgun when she was 13 years old...you can imagine the trauma a kid suffers for YEARS after that...are your grandsons about that age???
   Don't do it,PLEASE!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Sparky,

Don't ever let being broke get you down, money never bought happiness.

Three Marbles

By W. E. Petersen

W. E. Petersen, “Three Marbles,” Ensign, Oct 1975, 39

During the waning years of the depression in a small southeastern Idaho community, I used to stop by Brother Miller’s roadside stand for farm-fresh produce, as the season made it available. Food and money were still extremely scarce, and barter was used extensively.

On one particular day, as Brother Miller was bagging some early potatoes for me, I noticed a small boy, delicate of bone and feature, ragged but clean, hungrily appraising a basket of freshly picked green peas. Upon paying for my potatoes I moved to leave, but was also drawn to the display of fresh green peas. I am a pushover for creamed peas and new potatoes. Pondering the peas, I couldn’t help overhearing the conversation between Brother Miller and the ragged boy next to me. “Hello, Barry, how are you today?”

“H’lo, Mr. Miller. Fine, thank ya. Jus’ admirin’ them peas sure look good.”

“They are good, Barry. How’s your Ma?”

“Fine. Gittin’ stronger alla’ time.”

“Good. Anything I can help you with?”

“Nosir, jus’ admirin’ them peas.”

“Would you like to take some home?”

“Nosir, got nuthin’ to pay for ’em with.”

“Well, what have you to trade me for some of those peas?”

“All I got’s my prize aggie—best taw around here.”

“Is that right? Let me see it.”

“Here ’tis. She’s a dandy.”

“I can see that. Hmmmm, only thing is, this one is blue. I sort of go for red. Do you have a red one like this at home?”

“Not ’zackley—but almost.”

“Tell you what. Take this sack of peas home with you, and next trip this way let me look at that red taw.”

“Sure will. Thanks, Mr. Miller.”

Mrs. Miller, who had been standing nearby, came over to help me. With a sly smile, she said:

“There are two other boys like him in our community—all three are in very poor circumstances. Jim just loves to bargain with them for peas, apples, tomatoes, or whatever. When they come back with their red marbles, and they always do, he decides he doesn’t like red after all, and he sends them home with a bag of produce for a green marble, or orange, perhaps.”

I left the stand, smiling to myself, impressed with this man. A short time later I moved to Utah, but never forgot the story of this man and the boys—and their bartering.

Several years went by, each more rapid than the previous one. Just recently I had occasion to visit some old friends in that Idaho community and, while there, learned that Brother Miller had died. They were having his viewing that evening, and knowing my friends wanted to go, I agreed to accompany them.

Upon our arrival at the mortuary we fell into line to meet the relatives of the deceased, and to offer whatever words of comfort we could. Ahead of us in the line were three young men. One was in an army uniform and the other two wore short haircuts, dark suits, and white shirts, obviously potential or returned Mormon missionaries. They approached Sister Miller, standing smiling and composed by her husband’s casket. Each of the young men hugged her, kissed her on the cheek, spoke briefly with her and moved on to the casket. Her misty, light blue eyes followed them as, one by one, each young man stopped briefly, placed his own warm hand over the cold pale hand in the casket, and left the mortuary awkwardly wiping his eyes.

As our turn came to meet Sister Miller, I told her who I was, and mentioned the story she had told me about the marbles. Eyes glistening, she took my hand and led me to the casket.

“This is an amazing coincidence,” she said. “Those three boys that just left were the boys I told you about. They just told me how they appreciated the things Jim ‘traded’ them. Now, at last, when Jim could not change his mind about color or size, they came to pay their debt. We’ve never had a great deal of the wealth of this world,” she confided, “but right now Jim would consider himself the richest man in Idaho.”

With loving gentleness she lifted the lifeless fingers of her deceased husband. Resting underneath were three magnificent, shiny red marbles.

Notes

William E. Petersen, a banker, serves as Sunday School teacher and high priests group leader in the Pleasant Grove Seventh Ward, Pleasant Grove Utah Stake.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sounds like you are in a hell of a hole with no relief in sight.  Here's what you do:

Quit drinking.  Pour what you have left down the sink or commode.

Decide right here and now that you are going to straighten your life out.

Talk to God about it.  Ask him to put his hand into your life.

Don't worry about figuring all the details right now.

Tomorrow is Sunday.  Plan tonight on what time you need to get up to go to church, even if you haven't been in years.  Go ahead and lay out your clothes, etc.

Go to church in the morning.  Pay attention.  The message will be for you.  

Share your problems with someone there; take up the offer from some of the Ohio ARFCOM members; or call a hotline.  JUST DON'T GO IT ALONE.

God Loves You.  He wants me to tell you that.

You can make this the turning point in your life!  Stand on your damned feet and fight for your life!

x FREAKING TWO on the bolded. God loves you more than you could imagine. Stay strong friend. PM me if you need anything.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Sparky, sober up, when your head is clear take your grandsons fishing. Watch the sunrise and relish in how beautiful life is.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#34]
my wife says  off your ass  asap a dawin t thing   ........see you in hell
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Sparky,

I bought you a Team Membership.

I know it's a really small gesture...but it's my way of saying, "Hang in there, buddy!"

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Get a job at Home Depot. They prefer 'older' guys to younger.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your grand kids for one.  Do you think the guns will be something they will remember you by?  They want their grandpa, not some heirloom.  Your Dad killed himself, now you are thinking about it.  Time to break the cycle so your daughter and grand kids don't think that suicide is an option.  Sell the guns, get a job, (even if it is at WalMart), and if you can't live for yourself, do it for your family.  Things will get better.  Seek help from a professional.  There has to be some free resources in your community.

hang in there sparky

Im going to burn in hell

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That was the dumbest post I've seen on this site.  Ever.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Sparky...If it helps at all, you can use your age and experience to get some VERY hot 20 and 21 year old chicks. They will do anything. If you need to, my PM line is open as well. I would hate to see an arfcommer go like that. There is no reason anyone should do it. Chicks work at Walmart sometimes, go scope out the one with the most...have some fun, take your kids and grandkids shooting.

Churches can be ARE some of the best places in the world and this has reminded me why I go to my own.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hang in there sparky

Im going to burn in hell

Why?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Sparky,
Keep your eyes on the good things and always try to find the good in the bad.  You've got a family to be with and dogs that need your assistance to make through the day.  Don't let one bad day or even a bunch of bad days push you into thinking that something better will never come.  Every day you are here you'll have a chance to find something good.  Even if you don't find a job, find some good volunteer work that involves working on something you are interested in and you'll find some real joy in your life!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#42]
1. Both you and your son need to knock off the "sauce" (Drinking) Alcohol is depressant drug, the last thing you need when you are already feeling down and out!

2. Your family wants you around, this is the only thing has stopped me,I have four Nieces who absolutely adore me and would be devastated and it would kill my parents literally from heartbreak, I have sold my guns, the only things i have left is a 190,000 mile ford exlorer with the reverse gear out of the transmission, and my clothes, I DO NOT AND NEITHER DO YOU have the right to affect your family so adversly.

I'm half your age and can't find a job. The minumum wage ones all claim that I 'm "Too qualified and will leave them if a job more suitable for my talents comes up."(I cannot deny this!)

The ones suitable for me all claim while I do have qualifications i'm not qualified enough for them.

Cripes i have a Bachelors degree, two years of welding and fabrication training and a Class a CDL and can't get hired!!

So, Remind yourself, YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE GOING THROUGH THIS, YOU ARE NOT ALONE if the stats are to be believed then there are over 30 million of us who cannot find employment right now!! This is the combined populations of New York City, Chicago, Miami, and Los Angeles who are outta work right now!! This is not including those who have had pay cuts or work schedule cuts to retain their jobs. So you are not the only one suffering. You just have to keep gogin some how, i have to force motivate myself every morning to keep going.  

The way i see it something will break soon either the doom sayers are right and everything will collpase then jobs will be plentiful rebuilding the country afterwards or the economy will improve and jobs will come around, either way something will change someday.

BTW, don't knock working at Wal Mart, Mine isn't hiring but if yours is they are better compensated thatn most people realize for their hourly rate!! Hell, I've even tried Lowe's Home Improvement.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I think everything I had on my mind to say has been covered by previous posters.

I'll add this though...

When I was around 8 or 9, one of my dad's friends committed suicide via 12 gauge. His drinking had cost him a divorce not long before and he just wouldn't walk away from it. He did it on the weekend his 6 year old son was supposed to visit. That six year old found his dad splattered all over the living room. Great thing for a six year old huh? Wanna guess who cleaned that mess up? His father.

Think on who is probably going to find you after the act and who is going to have to clean up....

GET HELP NOW!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey Sparky,

I'm in Jefferson County, OH, right on the WV border.  There's a lake in my back yard, with a boat, fishing poles, and bait in the house.  Come on down and use it if you want.  Whatever you do, don't take the suicide route.  I've seen enough that I know it's absolutely horrible for the family.  If you feel like you can't live for another week, that's fine.  Don't worry about next week.  Just make it until tomorrow, and then tomorrow, if things don't look up, make it until Monday.  Just don't do anything stupid.  Money problems suck. Been there, done that.  But no matter what, it's only a temporary problem.  

Besides, someone bought you a team membership, and that lasts for a year.  Can't let that go to waste.

IM me if you need anything.

medic_man
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sparky,

I know it's a really small gesture...but it's my way of saying, "Hang in there, buddy!"

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Other than the serious repercussions that your daughter and Grandchildren will suffer for the rest of their lives?  Seek help!!!

It sucks for the folks left behind.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sparky,

WOW!!!!!  That's a great idea!!...and I don't think it's the SIZE of the gesture that matters...I think it's the fact that you cared enough to MAKE  a gesture that's far more important...
                       best regards
                              Dana in Montana

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#48]
waht and MISS the upcoming civilwar??? and the next SHTF.....  
NO WAY IN HELL am I going to miss the next event,won`t catch me dieing,they`ll have to kill me first...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the dumbest post I've seen on this site.  Ever.

I'll second that.I read it 3 or 4 times hoping I was missing something.I don't believe I was........I

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top