Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I can't see myself ever owning a centerfire Ruger semi-auto.

Well, bully for you.  My 12 year old P90 has never had a hiccup.  The same can be said for my 3 year old P89 and 2 year old P345.

Link Posted: 10/30/2008 5:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]
SR9, LCP recall, 10/22 cheap-out... can't say I'm thrilled with the direction Ruger is going.

Still glad to own a 10/22 and GP100, both built 2005-ish, both of which are awesome
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like this diamond mark will be on the flat part of the frame, directly below the hammer.

It also sounds like 'going forward' all new LCP's will be a 371 series gun and have this fix along with the 'upgrades', and the used market will be looking for 'Diamond Marked 370 series' guns in the future.

Unless somebody already has a 371 marked gun, it sounds like Ruger is recalling ALL of them.  

I filled out the form on the website.  I might give them a call next week to see if there is an answer about if the gun is safe to carry, but I have a feeling the answer will be 'Sure, as long as it's unchambered'.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I guess they did not copy Kel-Tec quite well enough.

The P3AT had several problems when it first came out too.  I remember it's trigger pin would  back out, rendering the trigger inoperable.  Pretty bad for a CCW gun.  They also had frames that would crack, I believe around the trigger pin area, dunno if it was a KaBoom deal, or just a crack, but either way, not good.  So, not a flawless gun either.  

As Winston Wolf said 'Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.'
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The P3AT had several problems when it first came out too.  I remember it's trigger pin would  back out, rendering the trigger inoperable.  Pretty bad for a CCW gun.  They also had frames that would crack, I believe around the trigger pin area, dunno if it was a KaBoom deal, or just a crack, but either way, not good.  So, not a flawless gun either.  

Well what the heck can I say to that? If I disagree, I am saying I want to suck your dick.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but in all fairness Keltec was "working blind" since no one had made such a small, powerful, polymer gun up to that point.  Ruger had all of that P3AT history to analyze and work from.

Ruger is one of those companies that I want to like but they make it really hard; with Bill's antics in the '90s, some of their shoddy (IMO) product, the SR9 recall, now this, and "don't carry our guns chambered".  I like their rimfires and people really seem to like their revolvers..  
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Pooch screwers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had mine for a week. At least I'll get a free mag out of it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for posting. At least they are dealing with it and doing so in what appears to be an honorable way. This is going to be a big dent in their pocketbooks! Wow.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I just got mine back a couple weeks ago. I wonder if it is current? Of course the line is busy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We want to remind gun users that, for maximum safety when carrying any pistol with a loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be empty, and the slide should be closed.

Yeah, I'll get right on that.

That's Ruger Company for ya.

We can't be trusted with a loaded gun or full cap mags.

Some of their guns are very nice, but they are a bunch of Fudds at the top there.

John
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Makes me glad I decided to go with the P3AT...

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/Gravity_Tester/gun%20pics/P1010039.jpg

Makes me feel good about my earlier decision before it was even an issue.

John
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My LCP has functioned just fine from the day I got it. Suck hard on that.

Mine too, but unfortunately it is indeed one of the recall serial numbers. I just called and talked to Ruger and they told me that in 3 weeks I'll get the shipping label and box and I'll have it back a week after they get it (with a free mag).

Oh well. I like it nonetheless.

102gr Golden Sabers baby!

Link Posted: 10/30/2008 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It would be bloody wonderful if Ruger would put up the stinking photo of the diamond mark and its location already....

It is there. You go to the recall link?

If you have the diamond then you have already been upgraded.

You may want to post this in the 1st post if you can.

How to determine if your pistol needs the retrofit: All LCP pistols bearing prefix “370” (that is, serial number 370-xxxxx) may be affected. Newly manufactured and retrofitted “370” prefix LCP pistols with the new hammer mechanism installed have been marked with a diamond in the flat portion of the slot just behind and below the hammer as shown to the right. Going forward, new pistols will be marked with the serial number prefix “371” (serial number 371-xxxxx). Pistols with the “371” prefix are not affected.

Link Posted: 10/30/2008 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Google around a bit and read up on the MkIII loaded chamber indicator recall.

The MkII was perfect. They should have left the design alone.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I called and I need to send mine back.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#18]
This recall does not diminish nor does take away from how much I like this pistol over my former Keltec. It is wayyy better than the Keltec was and after it is fixed well...even better.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
$2.3 Million dollar recall!!!

Cheaper than a couple lawsuits.

ETA Im still suprised to see ruger make a gun this small. I cant figure out how they put an entire warning and instruction manual on the slide of that tiny thing.

Link Posted: 10/30/2008 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I hate the fact there is a recall, but it is not unusual to have a glitch in early guns. I may not send mine in since unmodified guns with no diamond will bring more on the collectors market one day.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheaper than a couple lawsuits.

ETA Im still suprised to see ruger make a gun this small. I cant figure out how they put an entire warning and instruction manual on the slide of that tiny thing.

Lol.  Oh, it's there!  very small print, but it is there....
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#22]
KelTec and Ruger both feel like plastic key chain toys.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
KelTec and Ruger both feel like plastic key chain toys.

That's kind of the point. Tiny and light... a great BUG.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone remember this POS?

They came out in the early 90's. Wife had one. It was much larger than the Ruger LCP.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#25]
So on this Ruger form, is the shipping address our own address, or the FFL's? (Is FFL necessary?).
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone remember this POS?

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/2200/Hsw380L.gif

They came out in the early 90's. Wife had one. It was much larger than the Ruger LCP.

Ugh, that's a Sigma .380 ?  

Quoted:
So on this Ruger form, is the shipping address our own address, or the FFL's? (Is FFL necessary?).

Should be your own address.  This is for repair purposes, and you're just sending it back to the manufacturer.  I recall reading that a FFL is not necessary for shipping a firearm to/from a gunsmith or manufacturer for repair purposes.  Or something to that effect.  It's a firearm that you already own.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got a 370-, guess I must be lucky, I fumbled it at the range about a month ago & it hit the deck. Not even a whimper, much less a bang. I picked it off the ground & emptied it on target...

1911's are supposed to be terribly dangerous as well...if I send my LCP in, it'll be for the free mag.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Your own.  They are covering the shipping, so you don't have to even mess with that, probably just have to drop the package off at FedEx or whoever.  For peace of mind, you could take it to an FFL, but it is not neccesary.  Ruger will then send the gun directly back to your home when it's done.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I had wanted to get one of these LCPs but after having trouble finding one I decided on a Kahr PM9.  Slightly larger than the LCP but I'm satisfied and also like the increased caliber the Kahr offers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We want to remind gun users that, for maximum safety when carrying any pistol with a loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be empty, and the slide should be closed.

Link Posted: 10/30/2008 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Another angle;

Link Posted: 10/30/2008 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember, these are the guys who don't want you to have rifles that have bayonet lugs, flash hiders, and detachable magazines over 5 rounds.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2008 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn.  I went and got caught up in the LCP anticipation and bought one.

Then I fired it. It had decent action and accuracy but was far too small for my hand.

Racking it sucked, as well. It is very prone to jamming unless you truly snap that little b.....

The trigger doesn't fit a man-sized finger, either.

So, I gave it to my sister who just got her CCW here in FL. Now I have to tell her that the wonderful little weapon is a POS....nice.

Ruger SUCKS   They never tested for this? Glock does. S&W does. SIG does. Beretta does. I'm tired of typing but EVERY GUN MANUFACTURER DOES EXCEPT THE POS ones....And Ruger is the latest member of the POS club.

I should send it back chambered. Maybe it'll fall out of the box.......
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Ive been making fun of this shit since it dropped.

And now you cant drop the pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 4:39:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I do not carry with one in the chamber but I have registered both of my 370 series LCPs for the recall mailer and will send them in to get the free magazines.  

I used to ankle carry a Glock 26 but I would often leave it at home.  Now I carry an LCP in a PDA pouch on my belt and never leave home without it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

someone applied "the formula"

the formula
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Damn.  I went and got caught up in the LCP anticipation and bought one.

Then I fired it. It had decent action and accuracy but was far too small for my hand.

Racking it sucked, as well. It is very prone to jamming unless you truly snap that little b.....

The trigger doesn't fit a man-sized finger, either.

So, I gave it to my sister who just got her CCW here in FL. Now I have to tell her that the wonderful little weapon is a POS....nice.

Ruger SUCKS   They never tested for this? Glock does. S&W does. SIG does. Beretta does. I'm tired of typing but EVERY GUN MANUFACTURER DOES EXCEPT THE POS ones....And Ruger is the latest member of the POS club.

I should send it back chambered. Maybe it'll fall out of the box.......

You do realize that the Walther PPK series wasnt drop safe when carried ready to fire? Glock had a recall in the 90's for the same reason. The AMT Back up would fire when dropped. The series 70 colt wasnt drop safe which is why they inveted the series 80 Colt. The first generation kimbers were not drop safe which is why they came out with the series II.

Link Posted: 10/31/2008 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#39]
I've resisted the urge to buy the LCP because I've been waiting for this for the past six months. Hope the wait ends up being worth it.

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_380_p.html

Link Posted: 10/31/2008 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
yeah i just dropped my glock on the floor to see, and im still alive so im not sure what to think!

Mine didn't go off either when I threw it down my driveway.  It looks better now, though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah i just dropped my glock on the floor to see, and im still alive so im not sure what to think!

Mine didn't go off either when I threw it down my driveway.  It looks better now, though.

I threw mine down the driveway and had the neighbor kids throw it on my roof.  It stayed there until the fall when I had little Jimmy go up and get it for me
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've resisted the urge to buy the LCP because I've been waiting for this for the past six months. Hope the wait ends up being worth it.

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_380_p.html[/url]

[url]http://www.kahr.com/imgs/mdtl_p3833.jpg

What are the dimensions on the P380?  If it's the same as the PM9 get the 9mm.  Pretty much looks like my PM9.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_380_p.html[/url]

[url]http://www.kahr.com/imgs/mdtl_p3833.jpg

What are the dimensions on the P380?  If it's the same as the PM9 get the 9mm.  Pretty much looks like my PM9.

It's smaller. But I agree with your point. I already have the CW9, so I wouldn't have to stockpile another caliber. And I trust the 9mm WAY more to stop a perp than .380. But I need to handle the PA380 first to make the judement. Most of the time I choose to carry my CW45 anyways. But it'd be nice to have a very light pocket gun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I hate the fact there is a recall, but it is not unusual to have a glitch in early guns. I may not send mine in since unmodified guns with no diamond will bring more on the collectors market one day.

I might try to buy one now if I can find one at a dealer that hasn't been sent in. Sure it can fire if you drop it, but so can a 1911 with out the firing pin safety.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Isn't a recall on Ruger pistols a given?  I don't hate them, have some but thinking back off the top of my head......

Blackhawk
P85
SR9

and now, LCP

You forgot.......
MarkIII 22 pistol(loaded chamber indicator)
GP100(barrel ruptures)
pre-1973 Single-Six
pre-1973 Blackhawk
pre-1973 Super Blackhawk
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My P3AT is by far the biggest piece of shit firearm I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 3:47:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Good stuff, those Rugers...

The last four NIB Ruger guns I've owned have all had quality issues.  

Four.  I'm a slow learner, but I've learned my lesson finally.

They should stick to industrial castings and golf clubs.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 4:02:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I do not carry with one in the chamber but I have registered both of my 370 series LCPs for the recall mailer and will send them in to get the free magazines.  

I used to ankle carry a Glock 26 but I would often leave it at home.  Now I carry an LCP in a PDA pouch on my belt and never leave home without it.

You really need to carry with one in the chamber...

If a situation comes up where you need to use it, you may only have seconds to react.

Link Posted: 11/1/2008 4:04:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My P3AT is by far the biggest piece of shit firearm I've ever owned.

Send it back to Keltec...they will make it right....

Mine works just fine

Link Posted: 11/1/2008 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#50]

OUCH!

Thats gotta hurt .

glad I bought a walther PPS .40 instead
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top