Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2008 9:14:11 PM EDT
Bear is jumping off of cliffs into unknown depths of water again....

What NOT to do in a survival situation
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe he learned how to gauge it from looking down at it at the holiday-inn he's staying at
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
maybe he learned how to gauge it from looking down at it at the holiday-inn he's staying at

It's obvious he has his crew along in this episode.

He is going to eat a raw heart from a dead sheep after the commercial.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's obvious he has his crew along in this every episode.

Fixed.  When do we get more Survivorman?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So? Who cares.  That doesn't change the fact that he does some pretty hardcore shit.  I know he is not surviving alone for a week.  I don't care.  The TV show just shows general tips you can use to help out.  He even publicly says that he has aid from a crew.  I hate that whiny ass survivorman guy.  Watching an hour of that is like watching paint dry.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
He did a show once on how to survive in The Everglades.

Among other stupid things, he beat the water with a stick to scare the gators away.

Everything he did on that show would be guaranteed to get you killed in The Everglades.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So? Who cares.  That doesn't change the fact that he does some pretty hardcore shit.  .

More like hold my beer and watch this shit...

Survivorman is actually more realistic as to what you should actually do if you find yourself in a real survival situation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Survivorman is actually more realistic as to what you should actually do if you find yourself in a real survival situation.

It is all about entertainment.  He obviously goes over the top for the entertainment value.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is all about entertainment.  He obviously goes over the top for the entertainment value.

Watching him get eaten by a gator in the everglades episode would have been entertainment
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Among other stupid things, he beat the water with a stick to scare the gators away.

Everything he did on that show would be guaranteed to get you killed in The Everglades.

That was just replayed. he bordered on clever and reckless

I want to do some fact checking on the gator fat as a mosquito repellent.

He was splashing the water and I was like  "Dinner Time" ding ding ding

I like both shows but Bear gets a bit goofy
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Watching him get eaten by a gator in the everglades episode would have been entertainment

He has staffers who's job it is to get eaten for him.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

As a South Florida native, hunter, fisherman, and a person that has spent 40% of his life in the Everglades and Big Cypress.

Beating the water with a stick will not scare gators away. It will scare Bear Grylls away once they bit his fucking arm off.

He's about as smart as Obama....
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Soon as everyone wakes up from their coma and starts watching him mope around again. Why would someone watch a TV show to be bored out of their mind?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Like Jim on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom!  

(You youngsters wouldn't remember that show...)
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh for criyng loud!
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No way. I didnt catch that part, and I almost want to not believe you. I remember the part where he swam across the canal, and explained that he had help from park rangers or something like that to try to scare all the gators out of the area.

I put 5/1 odds that Survivorman Les Stroudt (Sp?) could outlast Bear Grillis in any environment. Unless its at the Holiday Inn, Bear might now how to navigate the International Breakfast better.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Good, maybe some depressed Obama supporters will follow his advice and rid the world of their existence.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No kidding;l he is obviously never been in Florida outside of his episodes. I'd love to se him getting chased out of the swamps by an angry gator.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah yes; Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The TV show just shows general tips you can use to help out.

No. A great deal of what this show demonstrates is stupid, useless and dangerous. It won't help you one bit to go jumping off cliffs in a true survival situation. It will probably get you killed, certaintly get you wet and tired and for what?

This jackass gets away with it because every stupid thing he does is very well planned and supervised. If he jumps off a cliff into water he not only knows how deep it is but he's got a flotation vest on underneath his jacket. If he builds a raft, he has a crew helping him. If he's scrambeling over a lava field he's 200 feet away from the busy road. He's a stuntman trying to pass his stunts off as survival training. But it's all a farce. Everything is scripted, everything is planned and he is nothing but part stuntman part clown, peeing on him self no less.

Les Stroud is a much, much better example of how to survive. He does things slow, carefully and doesn't take unnecessary risks. He rams home the basic tenets of survival- stay warm (or cool, as the case may be), stay hydrated and conserve your energy. Maybe it's not as exciting to you, but I find it fascinating.

-Local
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I put 5/1 odds that Survivorman Les Stroudt (Sp?) could outlast Bear Grillis in any environment. Unless its at the Holiday Inn, Bear might now how to navigate the International Breakfast better.

Grillis probably does know what he's doing. The problem is that he's playing a character on a TV show, not any sort of teacher.

It's like the guy on future weapons. He really was a SEAL, he really can shoot and by every account he's a cool guy. But he's an actor on a TV show trying to appeal to every fat slob on the couch. So he's reading from a script, getting edited down and hamming it up. I don't blame him, a guys gotta make a buck and clearly it's working for him.

But then again, Baldo the wonder SEAL isn't telling anyone its a good idea to jump off a cliff. The worse he does is mix up cartridge names. Grillis's show is just plain shit.

I agree with you though, I'd rather have Les around. He can play a mean Jew Harp.

-Local
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#21]
what a tard
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would make it even better!
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. A great deal of what this show demonstrates is stupid, useless and dangerous. It won't help you one bit to go jumping off cliffs in a true survival situation. It will probably get you killed, certaintly get you wet and tired and for what?

This jackass gets away with it because every stupid thing he does is very well planned and supervised. If he jumps off a cliff into water he not only knows how deep it is but he's got a flotation vest on underneath his jacket. If he builds a raft, he has a crew helping him. If he's scrambeling over a lava field he's 200 feet away from the busy road. He's a stuntman trying to pass his stunts off as survival training. But it's all a farce. Everything is scripted, everything is planned and he is nothing but part stuntman part clown, peeing on him self no less.

Les Stroud is a much, much better example of how to survive. He does things slow, carefully and doesn't take unnecessary risks. He rams home the basic tenets of survival- stay warm (or cool, as the case may be), stay hydrated and conserve your energy. Maybe it's not as exciting to you, but I find it fascinating.

-Local

This.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:48:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Local

This.
ditto
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:51:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't care. The TV show just shows general tips you can use to help out.

Well, which is it?

The show is utter crap. Horrible advice.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:52:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Local

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:08:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Just wondering, when he was in the Everglades and put his hands in that hole under the hree looking for catfish he said that there could be a snapping turtle the that could bite his hand off.
Is that really true? is that really the way folks there try to catch catfish?

It seemed rather risky really.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:10:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Just wondering, when he was in the Everglades and put his hands in that hole under the hree looking for catfish he said that there could be a snapping turtle the that could bite his hand off.
Is that really true? is that really the way folks there try to catch catfish?

It seemed rather risky really.

It's called noodling, and it's really popular in the in the South. Me, I prefer to use my Tiger Rod when it comes to catching catfish.

The largest danger posed to noodlers are other forms of aquatic life found in catfish holes. Far more dangerous than catfish are alligators, snakes, beavers, muskrats and snapping turtles, who will take over abandoned catfish holes as homes of their own. These animals are always on the mind of experienced noodlers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:30:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah yes; Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

Jim was a badass  
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember that show;

Marlin: "I will enjoy a refreshing Gin & Tonic prepared by Kinto our African Guide and new friend while Jim attempts to stick his thumb up that Cape Buffalo's ass.

Good effort Jim!"
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:08:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:11:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Soon as everyone wakes up from their coma and starts watching him mope around again. Why would someone watch a TV show to be bored out of their mind?

Maybe other people have different tastes than you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:11:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Wasnt there a show where he was in Canada or Alaska and stumbled upon a... cabin.  It was kind of like breaking into and surviving in a grocery store.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:58:41 AM EDT
[#34]
He's a crazy mo fo for sure bu I prefer survivormans show to actually show you what to do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:14:04 AM EDT
[#35]
It really shows the difference between British and American military types. I've noticed alot of the British guys I've seen are really into the whole "survival" thing. Like eating raw dead animals or jumping off cliffs. Neither of which are things you do when you are actually in combat.
It just seems like American military types are more realist when compared to our European counterparts. It's like they never grow up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:28:19 AM EDT
[#36]
I know one thing, Bear Grylls could probably kick Les Strouds ass. Then he would probably use Strouds scrotum as a canteen.

Les Stroud would make a great harmonica player in a hobo band.

Bear Grylls would make a great bartender.

I watch both of their shows strictly for the entertainment factor. I am much more ENTERTAINED by Bear Grylls show.

If I want survival expertise, i'll go to the guys Stroud and Grylls consult with for each of their episodes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:40:44 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe other people have different tastes than you.

Other people, like emos?

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I know one thing, Bear Grylls could probably kick Les Strouds ass. Then he would probably use Strouds scrotum as a canteen.

I watch both of their shows strictly for the entertainment factor. I am much more ENTERTAINED by Bear Grylls show.

If I want survival expertise, i'll go to the guys Stroud and Grylls consult with for each of their episodes.

The Difference is that Stroud actually RUNS a guide business in Canada.  Yes he consults local experts to find out what he needs to know about that particular environment, and what the native people have found works for them.. HE makes no bones about that..but he also leaves the consultant behind along with everyone else, and goes it Alone.  Stroud isnt as Fkashy as Grylls, but what he dose is MUCH more likely to have useful information.  From everything I've heard Bear is a GREAT guy..tons of fun to have a beer with.  But when it comes to useful information i'll stick with Stroud... Just my .02
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So? Who cares.  That doesn't change the fact that he does some pretty hardcore shit.  I know he is not surviving alone for a week.  I don't care.  The TV show just shows general tips you can use to help out.  He even publicly says that he has aid from a crew.  I hate that whiny ass survivorman guy.  Watching an hour of that is like watching paint dry.

Because he does shit you are not suppose to do, climb up/down cliffs, jump off high places.  More like a death wish if he was really alone.

There are many useful skills, including ice skills, he was showing off with the crew.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:59:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Great news.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I know one thing, Bear Grylls could probably kick Les Strouds ass.

Of course, we're discussing wilderness survival, not an MMA event.  If you want them to go head-to-head, drop each of them alone in the middle of a forest and see which one comes out better at the end of a month.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:05:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Beaten to it by a fellow Floridian!!!

His Everglades episode was FULL of
Beat a stick in the water to scare away gators?

I liked when he saw the gas bubbles coming up, and hauled ass because he thought it was a gator.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:07:20 AM EDT
[#43]

i love watching that show just to see what sort of retarded thing he'll do next.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#44]
after skinning the sheep, he said, "this is my sheeping bag"
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#45]
- Watch as I get soaking wet by diving into a cold steam because I'm moving fast!

- Watch as I scale cliff walls, with a safety rope, while telling people that it's a simple matter to find holds.

- Watch as I eat raw animals hours before I prepare a fire.

- Watch as I jump from heights that could easily result in serious injury even if alternative routes are visible.

He's entertainment, but that's all.  Pure and simple entertainment.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:17:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Difference is that Stroud actually RUNS a guide business in Canada.  Yes he consults local experts to find out what he needs to know about that particular environment, and what the native people have found works for them.. HE makes no bones about that..but he also leaves the consultant behind along with everyone else, and goes it Alone.  Stroud isnt as Fkashy as Grylls, but what he dose is MUCH more likely to have useful information.  From everything I've heard Bear is a GREAT guy..tons of fun to have a beer with.  But when it comes to useful information i'll stick with Stroud... Just my .02

Stroud also lived in the wilderness for a couple of years...
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:18:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Both shows are good for some laughs.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:30:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course, we're discussing wilderness survival, not an MMA event.  If you want them to go head-to-head, drop each of them alone in the middle of a forest and see which one comes out better at the end of a month.

That was said in jest, don't get your Survivorman under roos in a wad.. I kid, I kid..

As far as Stroud going at it "alone", I've seen plenty of Survivorman episodes where a "team" of people were "surviving" a few miles from where Stroud was "surviving".

These guys are trying to play the part and it is working. You can tell by the rabid fans they have in this very thread.

Never fear, in two years people will probably be able to go train at the Grylls & Stroud SERE Institute...
....Or appear on the Grylls/Stroud reality show....JOE SURVIVOR TEAM STROUD TAKES ON TEAM GRYLLS

or people could save some money and read this for the same information you get from these shows.

Its entertainment people, if Stroud or Grylls were to find themselves in a dire situation they would be rescued fast.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Both shows are just drama and they both mostly whine a lot after what they were doing wrong doesn't work.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:56:46 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was said in jest, don't get your Survivorman under roos in a wad.. I kid, I kid..

As far as Stroud going at it "alone", I've seen plenty of Survivorman episodes where a "team" of people were "surviving" a few miles from where Stroud was "surviving".

These guys are trying to play the part and it is working. You can tell by the rabid fans they have in this very thread.

Never fear, in two years people will probably be able to go train at the Grylls & Stroud SERE Institute...
....Or appear on the Grylls/Stroud reality show....JOE SURVIVOR TEAM STROUD TAKES ON TEAM GRYLLS

or people could save some money and read this for the same information you get from these shows.
windsorscouting.org/pack/webelos/webelos%20scout%20book.jpg

Its entertainment people, if Stroud or Grylls were to find themselves in a dire situation they would be rescued fast.

They are there in case bad shit happens during his 7 days stay in the wild, as oppossed to Grylls who go back to the 4Star Hotel at the end of a hard days filming.

His show is far more realistic than the English ass, and it contains more information that will actually keep people alive, as oppossed to getting them killed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top