Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's obvious he has his crew along in this every episode.

Fixed.  When do we get more Survivorman?

Soon as everyone wakes up from their coma and starts watching him mope around again. Why would someone watch a TV show to be bored out of their mind?

Maybe other people have different tastes than you.

Other people, like emos?

Like adults.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So? Who cares.  That doesn't change the fact that he does some pretty hardcore shit.

So does Johnny Knoxville.  

"Man vs Wild" is "Jackass" in the woods, only "Bear" has more backup than Johnny does.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
maybe he learned how to gauge it from looking down at it at the holiday-inn he's staying at

It's obvious he has his crew along in this episode.

He is going to eat a raw heart from a dead sheep after the commercial.

That was by far, the most disgusting thing.  It even beat the drinking of his urine in the desert episode.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
He has staffers who's job it is to get eaten for him.

Like Jim on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom!  

(You youngsters wouldn't remember that show...)

Ah yes; Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

Marlin Perkins was awesome.
I loved him as a kid.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"Man vs Wild" is "Jackass" in the woods

[/thread]
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone heard about a new show where Bear Grylls is supposed to try and evade a man-tracker in the States? A person who works in the television industry mentioned it about 2 months ago as a future Discovery Channel offering, but I haven't seen anything about it going through.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anyone heard about a new show where Bear Grylls is supposed to try and evade a man-tracker in the States? A person who works in the television industry mentioned it about 2 months ago as a future Discovery Channel offering, but I haven't seen anything about it going through.

Sounds like a rip-off of the Andy McNabbs "Special Forces Missions" (?) show.
They drop Andy in the arctic, desert, African Sahara (et al) and he has to avoid a team of military trackers to pick up a downed satellite, rescue an injured pilot, etc.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
He has staffers who's job it is to get eaten for him.

Like Jim on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom!  

(You youngsters wouldn't remember that show...)

Ah yes; Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

Marlin Perkins was awesome.
I loved him as a kid.

Yep, that was the show that got me interested in the wildlife biz.

"I'll wait here in the jeep while Jim wrestles that alligator onto shore.  Careful Jim, Those teeth are razer sharp!"  
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#9]
It doesn't beat the one where he squeezes the juice out of an elephant turd because he's thirsty.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
maybe he learned how to gauge it from looking down at it at the holiday-inn he's staying at

It's obvious he has his crew along in this episode.

He is going to eat a raw heart from a dead sheep after the commercial.

That was by far, the most disgusting thing.  It even beat the drinking of his urine in the desert episode.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#10]
This is when I stopped watching:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuB3kr3ckYE

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#11]
The Man vs Wild guy is a total poser who fucks up at least twice per episode.

You remember the internet meme "one does simply *blank* into Mordor"? Yeah. He walks up to a Hawaiin volcano, claims it's Mordor, then goes back to his hotel room for the rest of the evening.

Actually, speaking of Hawaii, in addition to rolling in dirt to look like he actually does something besides drive out to a spot and pretend to be 'surviving' there, in one scene he "spends all day" hiking across rugged terrain from one volcano to another in Hawaii.

An Arfcommer who lives a mile from the location assured us he simply walked across the parking lot so he'd have a different backdrop.

I'm not even getting into the whole "I won't drink water from a puddle, but I will suck the juice out of elephant shit" thing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:45:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They drop Andy in the arctic, desert, African Sahara (et al) and he has to avoid a team of military trackers to pick up a downed satellite, rescue an injured pilot, etc.

I have seen those (assuming you are actually talking about the "Hunting Chris Ryan" series which fit the description) and the tracking was pretty minimal with the hunter teams actually being vectored in by the "referee".

This new show was supposed to highlight actual tracking. The man brought it up after I told him about being a man-tracker for SAR. Not sure who is doing the tracking though. He said it was down to Tom Brown Jr. and a guy somewhere in Western US who were going to have to do tracking solo rather than as part of team (the usual way).
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#13]
So we are arguing about which of two men is better? Nice jobs girls.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Soon as everyone wakes up from their coma and starts watching him mope around again. Why would someone watch a TV show to be bored out of their mind?

Other people, like emos?

Like adults.

riiiiiiight

Don't think there are any adult canadian emos, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
He did a show once on how to survive in The Everglades.

Among other stupid things, he beat the water with a stick to scare the gators away.

Everything he did on that show would be guaranteed to get you killed in The Everglades.

There should be a thread in the survival forum that, for ever episode of man vs wild, list what bear said was wrong and what the correct procedure is.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Other people, like emos?

Like adults.

riiiiiiight

Apparently there aren't any adults in your part of California.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Other people, like emos?

Like adults.

riiiiiiight

Apparently there aren't any adults in your part of California.

Good one
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just wondering, when he was in the Everglades and put his hands in that hole under the hree looking for catfish he said that there could be a snapping turtle the that could bite his hand off.
Is that really true? is that really the way folks there try to catch catfish?

It seemed rather risky really.

It's called noodling, and it's really popular in the in the South. Me, I prefer to use my Tiger Rod when it comes to catching catfish.

The largest danger posed to noodlers are other forms of aquatic life found in catfish holes. Far more dangerous than catfish are alligators, snakes, beavers, muskrats and snapping turtles, who will take over abandoned catfish holes as homes of their own. These animals are always on the mind of experienced noodlers.

Thank you sir for the info, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
It really shows the difference between British and American military types. I've noticed alot of the British guys I've seen are really into the whole "survival" thing. Like eating raw dead animals or jumping off cliffs. Neither of which are things you do when you are actually in combat.
It just seems like American military types are more realist when compared to our European counterparts. It's like they never grow up.

Could it be that way because when the US goes to war it just has so much more in terms of support mechanisms (helicopters etc) than the Europeans which forces the Europeans to focus more on the survival skills like you mentioned?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have seen those (assuming you are actually talking about the "Hunting Chris Ryan" series which fit the description) and the tracking was pretty minimal with the hunter teams actually being vectored in by the "referee".

This new show was supposed to highlight actual tracking. The man brought it up after I told him about being a man-tracker for SAR. Not sure who is doing the tracking though. He said it was down to Tom Brown Jr. and a guy somewhere in Western US who were going to have to do tracking solo rather than as part of team (the usual way).

Yes, but it was renamed "Special Forces:  Manhunt" for Discovery.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top