Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2008 7:49:06 PM EDT
Just saw Batman.  Wow... ton of people there.  Cars filled the movie theater parking lot completely (which is unusual) and parked in adjacent lots and a grass field.  Everybody wants to see Heath Ledger's last movie I guess.  Must say however, it was an excellent movie and I'm glad I went.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not feeling it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good but I don't feel like wading through people to find a sheet. I'll wait a few weeks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it available on-line yet?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
ill wait a bit, but yah it looks fuckin sweet
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#5]
You do know it plays for more than one night right?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw it tonight...was totally worth it....was so impressed and amazed by the movies the fact it rained while my windows were down didnt bother me too much
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm. Dont really care about Heath Ledger. I got to admit though, the character he is playing seems very dark and that is tempting me to see it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I want to see this one, but I don't see how Jack Nicholson can be beaten as The Joker.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I've decided to bypass the crowds and catch it at a mid-week matinee.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I want to see this one, but I don't see how Jack Nicholson can be beaten as The Joker.

He is annihilated. Ledger was practically flawless.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Just saw it tonight.

Pretty freaking awesome.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I have never seen an actor so consumed by such a deep, dark, nuanced character. It was enthralling.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't get it. whats the big hoopla about this batman compared to the last 8?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought ledger was very good in brokeback mountain.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Saw it today. Nobody can play the Joker again. I don't think any other actor could do it justice.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There really isn't one "Right" way to do the Joker, Nicholson nailed the "clown prince of Crime" angle, while Ledger got to do the "Force of nature" agent of absolute chaos angle.

Batman in the comics cycles between Noir, Farce and Tragedy, and the movies seem to have followed that arc (the Keaton films were noir, the Schumacher films were Farce on par with West's Batman and the most recent two are tragedies).
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2. Nicholson was more a comedy Joker, putting a laugh ahead of the mission at hand...Ledger was downright frightening as his role...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#19]
It was definitely badass.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

He was beaten, this whole movie was made by Heath Ledger.

RIP
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't give a crap about it being Heath Ledger's last movie, but The Dark Knight was awesome. His character is truly chilling. I don't think I've been that entertained by Hollywood in a long time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Best movie I have seen in a long time. Heath was brilliant! This is a must see, worth waiting in line for, I am seeing it again tomorrow. And I never go to the movies. Just watching Heath was amazing. I agree the joker can never be played again by someone else. What an amazing movie. Jack was a joke, Heath simply brilliant

The last series turned me off so much because of the acting I just saw the first batman a few days ago because I never wanted to waste my time again watching that crap.

This is a must see guys.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#23]
It was just as crazy as when the original Batman movie opened up in 1989.

We had to buy tickets in advance from the Navy's MWR office as the local theater in Ventura had sold them 200 tickets.

People were buying tickets for the next days showing at 10 pm when the box office closed.

It was the first opening night movie outside of Hollyweird that I had seen that.

Even the opening night of the first Star Trek movie was not that crazy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#24]
It looks very "HEAT" ish from teh first 8 minutes I saw online.

And I understand the director LOVED "HEAT" hints the bank scene
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I am going to see it tomorrow, and I must say  that judging by the few clips of Ledger as the Joker, It looks like he outdid Nicholson, although I agree with the poster above in that there are multiple ways to play Jack Napier/The Joker
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#26]
+1 more for this movie.  Damn good.  Heath Ledger redefines the role of The Joker, it will never be outdone.

I must add that this is a very dark version of a familiar comic book character.  You might want to think twice before bringing little children to see it.

-Gator
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#27]
It was as good as expected but I was not in awe of this movie

I guess I expected a bit more with the hype but I was happy for my $9 spent
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
+1 more for this movie.  Damn good.  Heath Ledger redefines the role of The Joker, it will never be outdone.

I must add that this is a very dark version of a familiar comic book character. You might want to think twice before bringing little children to see it.

-Gator

+1

A few rows in front of me a mom left with 3 girls (all under ~10 y.o.) after the pencil scene...

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#29]
A movie about a guy that dresses up in a bat costume and fights people. awesome.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#30]
All I wanna know is...
What is this great pencil scene I keep hearing about.

I'll go see it in 3 weeks
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
A movie about a guy that dresses up in a bat costume and fights people. awesome.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
All I wanna know is...

I don't want to ruin it for you.  

My only main complaint with the movie is that seemed pretty obvious that some parts were edited to slip in under the PG-13 ceiling,
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#33]
ehh nevermind

Just watched it, its all over youtube currently. "pencil scene dark knight"

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've decided to bypass the crowds and catch it at a mid-week matinee rent it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Saw it today yesterday at the 12:01 showing. Nobody can play the Joker again. I don't think any other actor could do it justice.

+1
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm going on Tuesday to see it at the local drive-in.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Its a great movie, saw it today and I'm driving next week to see it in IMAX.  

I have an ongoing bet with a buddy of mine, he thinks that it will break the record and beat Titanic's opening weekend, I say it doesn't have a chance.  I may lose.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I have an ongoing bet with a buddy of mine, he thinks that it will break the record and beat Titanic's opening weekend, I say it doesn't have a chance.  I may lose.

I thought Spidey 3 did that. Could be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#39]
It wouldve been better if it had been an R movie.  Not for extreme gore or anything but it needed more with the Jokers death scenes..  instead of cutting away everytime before anything at all is seen.  There have been quite a bit more violent PG13 movies than this.  

I know an R Batman would never happen for money reasons but kids 12 and under etc would be bored mostly during this anyway.

The Joker was great and the movie revolved around him.  I felt like the other parts were interrupting his parts.  He needed waayyy more screen time.  Christian Bale was also good as always.  

Did anyone else think that they had planned on bringing the Joker back for another film because of how his part ended with no finalization?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
All I wanna know is...

My only main complaint with the movie is that seemed pretty obvious that some parts were edited to slip in under the PG-13 ceiling,

Totally agree. My friends and I were discussing that after the film. We were surprised that, even with the editing, it still received a PG13 rating. I'm sure the DVD will have deleted scenes which will show what was cut.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought Spidey 3 did that. Could be wrong.

You are correct sir.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It wouldve been better if it had been an R movie.  Not for extreme gore or anything but it needed more with the Jokers death scenes..  instead of cutting away everytime before anything at all is seen.  There have been quite a bit more violent PG13 movies than this.  

I know an R Batman would never happen for money reasons but kids 12 and under etc would be bored mostly during this anyway.

The Joker was great and the movie revolved around him.  I felt like the other parts were interrupting his parts.  He needed waayyy more screen time.  Christian Bale was also good as always.  

Did anyone else think that they had planned on bringing the Joker back for another film because of how his part ended with no finalization?

I'm sure that was the plan.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
All I wanna know is...

Totally agree. My friends and I were discussing that after the film. We were surprised that, even with the editing, it still received a PG13 rating. I'm sure the DVD will have deleted scenes which will show what was cut.

I hope so. That would be sweet.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

It'd be a damn tough job for anyone to replicate Ledger's portrayol of the Joker. I guess you could get someone who has the same facial features as Ledger but I doubt anyone could do as well as Ledger did.

My friends and I also discussed a 3rd film. Do you remember when, in Batman Begins, Bruce tells all his "Two Faced" friends "grinning through their teeth" to get the hell out of his party? We think this foreshadows Two Face and Joker.

In The Dark Knight, when discussing new armor with Lucious, Lucious says the armor could withstand a cat. Catwoman anyone? I know Catwoman has been done quite cheesy in the past but Nolan develops characters quite well. Look what he did with Scarecrow!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Introducing a stong, defined female adversary would be a very logical move.
The female parts in these movies has never really interested me much
(maybe because both women to play Rachel look so damn weird.)

I don't think a Penguin/Riddler/etc. will make much sense or add much to this version of the story.
However, Catwoman is familiar to most audiences and would have the best appeal.

*and please, please, please - NO ROBIN!!!

But given the turn of events at the end, the canvas is very open to just about anything...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I have never seen an actor so consumed by such a deep, dark, nuanced character. It was enthralling.

+2 it was a bad ass movie
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Saw it friday and damn, I was surprised..I love it. I don't care much for Heath much but you could hardly tell it was him playing the Joker. I'd see the damn movie again just for the pencil scene alone. On a side note if I could pull off the Joker for next Halloween I'm so going for it, just so I can act crazy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:53:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

to everyone reading. just see it. dont bring kids. just friggin see it. i have to say its very hard for a movie character to creep me out a little.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Introducing a stong, defined female adversary would be a very logical move.
The female parts in these movies has never really interested me much
(maybe because both women to play Rachel look so damn weird.)

I don't think a Penguin/Riddler/etc. will make much sense or add much to this version of the story.
However, Catwoman is familiar to most audiences and would have the best appeal.

*and please, please, please - NO ROBIN!!!

But given the turn of events at the end, the canvas is very open to just about anything...

Well if they go by the comics, Robin would be 7 during the next movie...same as Bat Girl so I think we're safe.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Somewhere Jack Nicholson is feeling OWNED.

Great movie, I might see it again, before it leaves theaters.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Very good movie...

Sonar Gadget... Apt for a 'bat' man...

That said, I think Dent became 'Two Face' a little too fast... And then was killed off too fast...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top