User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2008 1:08:43 PM EDT

Questions raised after off-duty Louisville cop pulls woman over in Radcliff

04:45 PM EDT on Friday, July 18, 2008

WHAS11 coverage

Off-duty officer's family releases statement about incident in Radcliff

Louisville, Ky. (WHAS11) - Questions are being raised about the legality of a stop after an off duty police officer pulls over a woman.

Did he overstep his boundaries?

Dine Bentley says she was trying to turn onto south Wilson, when another car sped through the intersection and almost hit her.

Luckily the other car swerved and avoided a crash but the problems didn’t end there.

“It was terrifying, absolutely terrifying,” says Dine Bentley.

That’s how Dine Bentley describes her first encounter with a Louisville police officer, after moving from Minnesota only a few days ago.

Watch this story She was trying to turn off of Vine Street onto south Wilson Road when she says a car sped through this intersection nearly hitting her.

She continued driving and he came after her.

“He was flashing his flashlight through the windshield at me.  I knew it wasn’t a police car and I didn’t want to stop.  And he pulled up next to me and used some pretty foul language to command me to pull my car over and when I wouldn’t he started to cut in at me so if I’d moved I would have hit him,” says Bentley.

So she says she pulled over and he got out of his car and demanded to see her license and proof of insurance; common practice for a police officer when stopping someone for a traffic violation, but she says his language was far from normal.

“He said if his car was messed up, I would be next.  Those were almost his exact words,” she says.

That’s when Dine says he went back to his car and she called 911.  Her call went to police in Elizabethtown.

“An off-duty police officer just pulled me over yelling at me, cussing at me, spitting at me.  He’s got my driver’s license.  And I’m terrified,” Bentley said to the 911 dispatcher.

Elizabethtown police transferred Dine to the Radcliff police just in time for the Louisville police officer to return to hear the conversation.

“He came back up to the car at that point and started cussing me out again and I asked the dispatcher are you hearing this?  And she said, yes I am,” says Bentley.

Radcliff police would not give WHAS11 that 911 call but WHAS11 News has filed an open records request.  

In the meantime, Dine says, she just wants to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

“Something needs to be done because if it’s not done he’ll continue to do this and it’s going to get worse.  I feel sorry for the next person he pulls over,” says Bentley.

We contacted the Kentucky State Police to find out if this police officer did anything wrong and they told us the answer is yes and no.

They say he was out of line pulling someone over outside of Jefferson County, especially off-duty, but that as a citizen of Kentucky, he may have the right to make a citizen’s arrest.

Louisville police say they cannot comment on this matter, but that the chief of police will be looking into it.

LINK

he may have the right to make a citizen’s arrest.

from the stuff I have read a citizen's arrest are for felony crimes only, not misdemeanors. If this is true then unlawful detainment, lawsuit is in order
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Typical
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]
If he's out of his jurisdiction, could he be prosecuted for impersonating a police officer?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Typical

of what?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Lucky for her she called 911 to get it on tape.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If he's out of his jurisdiction, could he be prosecuted for impersonating a police officer?

No. He is still a police officer (albeit one with a problem).
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Lucky for her she called 911 to get it on tape.

Smart.

I'm sure the PD is only refusing to release the tape for "National Security" reasons.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Not to sound like I'm some billy-badass or something...

but If someone runs me off the road and comes up screaming and cursing at me, they are likely to get shot.

- AG
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#11]
These jack boots were made for stomping, and that's a just what they are gonna do, these jack boots are gonna stomp all over you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#12]
"citizen's arrest", that's funny
Want to try a citizen's arrest with me? Lets add assault and battery.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm the toughest guy on the internet..............................

Many of you fit that description.

I'd like to know more about this.

Why do I bet, young officer, with a few prior "lapses in judgement"?

He should be now known as former officer.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Unmarked car with no blue lights = no stop.  If there's any doubt at all, I would proceed at a safe speed to the nearest police station, while giving a blow by blow to the 911 operator.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd be telling the 911 operator I was in fear of my life, and I did what I thought was necessary to protect myself.  You can draw the conclusions yourself.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#17]
She was an idiot for pulling over.

He is a bigger idiot though.  and he probably doenst need to be an officer any longer.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#18]
what an idiot
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I guess i'd call 911 unless he wanted to trade some paint, then it would get ugly.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#21]
She'll get paid and he might bet fired.

Best bet would be to head for the local cop shop.

Wonder if she was a .mil dependent??

If so, she should have headed for the main gate and let the MP's deal with fucktard.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Update

04:41 PM EDT on Friday, July 18, 2008

Statement from the Officer's Family:

Ms. Bentley has misrepresented the events on the night of 7/13.  It's our understanding that Ms. Bentley almost hit the officer head-on, in his lane, at the intersection of KY144 and S. Wilson road forcing the officer into an adjacent parking lot where he ran over a parking block, almost hit a parked vehicle and a building. He was not speeding, and the light was green. At least two other drivers witnessed the event and followed Ms. Bentley attempting to get her to stop because they believed she fled the scene of an accident. The officer was waved on by these witnesses to her location where he did flash his headlights, honked his horn and pulled along side, not cutting in front of her, to get her to stop. He believed his vehicle was damaged and wanted her information. An active duty soldier in a Ford truck arrived behind Ms. Bentley first, and he and the officer approached her. He admits that he was upset and was yelling but at no time did he tell her that she was going to jail or make any threats.  Ms. Bentley said she felt intimidated, and she was calling 911 at which time the officer told her she could roll up her windows and lock her doors.  He then moved his vehicle away from Ms. Bentley and waited for Radcliff Police Department to respond. He voluntarily gave Ms. Bentley his information and immediately contacted his command concerning the matter. The officer acted as any other citizen would have had they been run off the road facing another vehicle head-on, had he been in civilian attire Ms. Bentley would never have known he was an LMPD officer, and this would not be an issue.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Update

Ms. Bentley has misrepresented the events on the night of 7/13.  It's our understanding that Ms. Bentley almost hit the officer head-on, in his lane, at the intersection of KY144 and S. Wilson road forcing the officer into an adjacent parking lot where he ran over a parking block, almost hit a parked vehicle and a building. He was not speeding, and the light was green. At least two other drivers witnessed the event and followed Ms. Bentley attempting to get her to stop because they believed she fled the scene of an accident. The officer was waved on by these witnesses to her location where he did flash his headlights, honked his horn and pulled along side, not cutting in front of her, to get her to stop. He believed his vehicle was damaged and wanted her information. An active duty soldier in a Ford truck arrived behind Ms. Bentley first, and he and the officer approached her. He admits that he was upset and was yelling but at no time did he tell her that she was going to jail or make any threats.  Ms. Bentley said she felt intimidated, and she was calling 911 at which time the officer told her she could roll up her windows and lock her doors.  He then moved his vehicle away from Ms. Bentley and waited for Radcliff Police Department to respond. He voluntarily gave Ms. Bentley his information and immediately contacted his command concerning the matter. The officer acted as any other citizen would have had they been run off the road facing another vehicle head-on, had he been in civilian attire Ms. Bentley would never have known he was an LMPD officer, and this would not be an issue.

The 911 tape will speak volumes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Update

So she almost kills someone and wonders why people are chasing her. Stupid bitch.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Update

Assuming this is 100% accurate.

He still fucked up chasing her down, and pulling her over.  Get the plates let the on-duty guys handle the stop.

Anybody that goes chasing off down the road after someone is taking a chance on getting shot.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

No, he is (or was) a police officer.

Depending on the state an officer can make an arrest or cite for any offense that occurs in his presence.  Of course, you're supposed to do it with the dash and elan of a Jack Webb, NOT  bumbling bad ass buffoon.  Looks like the process is going to work to the dismay of the cop haters.  A bad cop is identified and canned or the apparent witnesses will support him.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Unmarked car with no blue lights = no stop.  If there's any doubt at all, I would proceed at a safe speed to the nearest police station, while giving a blow by blow to the 911 operator.

Now thats using your head!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Assuming this is 100% accurate. This whole thing sounds FUBAR.

He still fucked up chasing her down, and pulling her over.  Get the plates let the on-duty guys handle the stop.  Sounds like others were trying to get her to stop as well.  I'd say follow her until marked units join up and can make the stop unless the driver is so bad you have to stop the car to prevent a collision.

Anybody that goes chasing off down the road after someone is taking a chance on getting shot. Possibly.  Following a car is not justification for deadly force despite the wet dreams of many arfcom posters.

Brian
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

but If someone runs me off the road and comes up screaming and cursing at me, they are likely to get shot.

- AG

+1
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- AG

+1

Funny, big touh guys around here, but when someone is yelling and screaming at them, they want to shoot them

If you follow this great advice by the OP, remember, prison won't make you gay. It is called situational homosexuality.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#32]
He is lucky he was not shot dead.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Update

So she almost kills someone and wonders why people are chasing her. Stupid bitch.

Do you believe everything you read on internet?

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

he may have the right to make a citizen’s arrest.

from the stuff I have read a citizen's arrest are for felony crimes only, not misdemeanors. If this is true then unlawful detainment, lawsuit is in order

Depends on the state.

In CA, a private person has the right to make a privat eprson's arrest if it is a misdemeanor committed in their presence, or a felony not committed in their presence.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm the toughest guy on the internet..............................

Many of you fit that description.

Except in my case it's true.

If that cop had come up to my window, I would have sodomized him.

How's that grab ya?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#37]
disregard, will have to see how this pans out
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. He is still a police officer

Hopefully, not for much longer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

- AG

+ .40.

I don't consider myself a badass or anything like that, but I do know what I have prepared myself mentally and physically to do in a wide variety of situations.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#40]
If the off duty cop was innocent and not LYING in his response. They would have released the 911 tapes.

They did not. That speaks volumes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't care if you are naked driving 100 mph the wrong way down a one way while dragging three puppies leashed to your bumper.  I will never attempt to stop a vehicle while off duty and in my POV.  Unfortunately, this job gets the best of some people.

I have no idea what actually happened in this situation, but I know what I would do and what I would not do.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

- AG

Have fun in prison.. Gotta love the internet tough guys.

Shooting somebody for cursing and yelling? Pathetic.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Cop is a dumbass.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I don't care if you are naked driving 100 mph the wrong way down a one way while dragging three puppies leashed to your bumper.  I will never attempt to stop a vehicle while off duty and in my POV.  Unfortunately, this job gets the best of some people.

I have no idea what actually happened in this situation, but I know what I would do and what I would not do.

+1
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I dunno, I can see instances where I might.  Someone advancing towards me, while screaming, cursing, and making threats?  That might get you ventilated.

Saying it is pathetic is silly.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If the off duty cop was innocent and not LYING in his response. They would have released the 911 tapes.

They did not. That speaks volumes.

Since this situation involves a cop, of course, the woman couldn't be LYING, right? (additional hyperbolic emphasis omitted).

Let's review the original title:

Questions raised after off-duty Louisville cop pulls woman over in Radcliff

Assuming the two are separate and distinct municipalities, they are probably each conducting investigations... as is the county or state by now if things are like they are here.

Lousiville won't release tapes they don't have (since the incident occurred in Radcliff) and won't make a public position until the facts are known; Radcliff probably is still sorting feces, and won't release anything pertaining to the investigation until they have a determination of events.

Government moves, but not often quickly... and it's not always a conspiracy.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Hear comes the Blue wall of "protect the bad cop" again. I've never seen a police force withhold unless it's a cover-up.

It's simple. If he was innocent they would release the tape.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- AG

Have fun in prison.. Gotta love the internet tough guys.

Yeah.  At least wait for the car to back up and clip off your mirror, then it's a good shoot.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Update

WOW! Goes to show you how one should never make assumptions based on only one side of the story. The fact that the LEO has witnesses attesting to his version makes it all the more interesting.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno, I can see instances where I might.  Someone advancing towards me, while screaming, cursing, and making threats?  That might get you ventilated.

Saying it is pathetic is silly.

Do you draw down and shoot everybody you get into a bar brawl or argument with? ZThis, of curse, is a moot point if he has any type of weapon (bat, bottle,knife, gun, etc.)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top