User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2008 6:02:02 AM EDT
Seen vs. Saw

Saw is the simple past tense.

Seen is the past participle.

If you're going to use 'seen' you should stick 'were', 'was', 'have', 'had', etc. in front of it.

-wrong
I seen two illegals jump over the fence.

-ok
I saw two illegals jump over the fence.

-ok
I had seen two illegals jump over the fence.

-ok
I have seen two illegals jump over the fence.

-ok
Two illegals were seen jumping over the fence.

-ok
Have you seen any illegals jumping over the fence?

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#1]

I seen what you done there.

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:05:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm, joined March 2008, low post count... I call BS!
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:06:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]
see the thread on "the dumbest generation" right below this one for proof
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
see the thread on "the dumbest generation" right below this one for proof

S

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:13:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Nobody cares what you freeloaders think. Almost three years as a member and you can't cough up $25?

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nobody cares what you freeloaders think. Almost three years as a member and you can't cough up $25?

I seen what you did there!
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#8]
This post is doubleplusungood.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I seen what you diddone there!

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#10]
What irks me more than grammar errors is the very common misspelling and speaking of words that seemed to be missed or misconstrued in school. For some reason many are getting these seemingly simple words wrong. examples:

Muzzle Break  instead of the correct: Muzzle Brake  - It brakes recoil, it does not "break" anything:.

Taunt instead of the correct:  Taut, when speaking of tightness or tension. "Pull the rope Taunt" I have heard this too many times. If you are "taunting" an animal, ok but the rope is pulled "Taut".

Ordinance instead of the correct: "Ordnance" when speaking of explosives and munitions. I see this frequently on AR15.COM, I am not sure why. An ordinance is a law enacted by a legal body, ordnance is munitions.

I don't know why our school system seems to be failing us in this respect, but I keep seeing the same type of error again and again, even when corrected, many continue using them in error.

It's enough to make you beat your head on a dictionary...

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Your efforts, although commendable, are futile.  I once read a post of a member who claimed he knew his use of "your" was incorrect but did not care.

RE: As in "your wrong."

It is difficult to combat apathy.

I used to go to great lengths to fight against "could of", "should of", "would of" and the various forms they were presented in. I finally decided it just wasn't worth it in the end.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:18:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Your crazy, so what's you're point?

I seen 2 gun's at Bobs house.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Have we done a "who" versus "whom" post yet?

I have seen an increase in using "whom" in the nominative case.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Mi spelin skilz r nobodes biness.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#15]
  " 'Tis a tale full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#16]
The PC crowd is very concerned about homophones, which can't always be detected with spell check.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:22:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What irks me more than grammar errors is the very common misspelling and speaking of words that seemed to be missed or misconstrued in school. For some reason many are getting these seemingly simple words wrong. examples:

Muzzle Break  instead of the correct: Muzzle Brake  - It brakes recoil, it does not "break" anything:.

Taunt instead of the correct:  Taut, when speaking of tightness or tension. "Pull the rope Taunt" I have heard this way too many times. If you are "taunting" an animal, ok but the rope is pulled "Taut".

Ordinance instead of the correct: "Ordnance" when speaking of explosives and munitions. I see this frequently on AR15.COM, I am not sure why. An ordinance is a law enacted by a legal body, Ordnance is munitions.

I don't know why our school system seems to be failing us in this respect, but I keep seeing the same type of error again and again, even when corrected, many continue using them in error.

It's the aforementiond apathy that is the most frustrating.

I personally had used "break" instead of "brake" regarding the muzzle, well... my whole life.

I was corrected here on arfcom - and have been set straight since.

Some people take pride in being wrong.  I mean, really, at this point is there ANY excuse for an arfcommer who cannot distinguish "loose" from "lose?"
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Could we please reiterate the whole 'regardless' versus 'irregardless' problem, as well?
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Ain't this the reel grammer nazi?

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:27:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I keep a dictionary near the PC to try and keep the GNs somewhat quiet...
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taunt instead of the correct:  Taut, when speaking of tightness or tension. "Pull the rope Taunt" I have heard this way too many times. If you are "taunting" an animal, ok but the rope is pulled "Taut".

Ordinance instead of the correct: "Ordnance" when speaking of explosives and munitions. I see this frequently on AR15.COM, I am not sure why. An ordinance is a law enacted by a legal body, Ordnance is munitions.

It's the aforementiond apathy that is the most frustrating.

I personally had used "break" instead of "brake" regarding the muzzle, well... my whole life.

I was corrected here on arfcom - and have been set straight since.

Some people take pride in being wrong.  I mean, really, at this point is there ANY excuse for an arfcommer who cannot distinguish "loose" from "lose?"

Agreed. I have made errors before and been corrected - but made an effort not to do it again. Realizing the error and correcting it is the key.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:33:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Best thread I sore this morning.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Firefox with spell check FTW!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Intellectual laziness is not the fault of the education system.  A person may be lead to the banquet but leave hungry if they are unwilling or unable to digest the food presented to them in the proper format.  There is a distinct reticence among our citizenry to study and apply the rules of grammar appropriately.  Proper study of the English language, literature, oral and written communication is not the primary interest area of most of the population. This is especially true when the latest fads include truncated text messaging among the digital generation.  I fear that in the century to come we will be a nation of people with enormous thumbs for texting, an increased cerebellum for visual images and a biceps muscle the size of a basketball to tote the latest electronic toy around the house.

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I know'd this was coming.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Your efforts, although commendable, are futile.  I once read a post of a member who claimed he knew his use of "your" was incorrect but did not care.

Your prolly write

pg 2 ownage!
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 7:05:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Spell check wouldn't fix this problem.

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spell check wouldn't fix this problem.

Yeah, you need the Fireox Grammar check add-on.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I saw a post yesterday where a guy even argued that his incorrect use of "you're" was correct.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Then is for chronography (time).
Back then I was a waiter.
What happened then was…
Then came this wierd-looking guy.

Then is also for a condition.
If you like tennis, then this sport is for you!
Then leave if you don’t like it.
No: duck, then cover.

Than is for comparison only.
I am taller than she is.
Can there be misery loftier than mine?
Faster than a speeding bullet.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Ain't it the truth? And check out that cheezy "G" deal. Weak, very weak....

Without this.........

official Grammar Nazi seal, no one will take him seriously. At best he's a Grammar Nazi LITE.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#35]
... I know, it's rather odd. ARFCOM seems to attract a significantly large percentage of illiterate idiots. More so than nearly any other website, except perhaps wigger forums
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#36]
How about there and their?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Could we please reiterate the whole 'regardless' versus 'irregardless' problem, as well?

IRRegardless  IS NOT  a flipping word!!  

If you wish to reiterate that you might as well delve into:
Aiplane v. Treadmill
1911 > Glock
.45 > 9mm
Chili w/beans > Chili with no beans

You can't reason with unreasonable people.

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Seen vs. Saw

Saw is the simple past tense.

Seen is the past participle.

WTF is 'participle'?  

(No, I did not use a indefinite article )
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Let me set down and think this one over.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
... I know, it's rather odd. ARFCOM seems to attract a significantly large percentage of illiterate idiots. More so than nearly any other website, except perhaps wigger forums

LOL

It is less filling because it has fewer calories.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I just saw Nazi spelled Natzi in another thread, does that count?
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Next thing you know the Grammar Nazi will be telling us aint aint in the dictionary.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#45]

<Blues Brothers> I HATE Illinois Grammar nazis. </Blues brothers>
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn32/swede1986/grammar_nazi.jpg

Just to nit-pick (since that's in the spirit of this thread), why would a grammar nazi have a dictionary?  Wouldn't that be more appropriate for a typo/spelling nazi?

Because he's german. His english isn't very good.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn32/swede1986/grammar_nazi.jpg

Just to nit-pick (since that's in the spirit of this thread), why would a grammar nazi have a dictionary?  Wouldn't that be more appropriate for a typo/spelling nazi?

LOL logic Nazi
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
This post is doubleplusungood.

haha, that was awesome.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top