Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, a good many ARFCOM threads could be used by 8th grade English teachers, when giving class instruction on incorrect grammar and spelling.

Constantly seen examples:

- Misspelling the word "the" ("teh").  How do you misspell "THE" for Christ's sake?

- "Lose" (as in, "Hillary will LOSE the nomination") being spelled "loose."

- No concept whatsoever of the differences between "their," "there," and "they're."

- Saying "exact same" (which is redundant), instead of "exact" or "same."

- Saying "a whole nother" instead of "another."

Seriously, it makes you wonder how people can be so dumb that they don't mind posting this stuff and making themselves sound like they come from the junior retard patrol.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Seen vs. Saw

Saw is the simple past tense.

Seen is the past participle.

WTF is 'participle'?  

(No, I did not use a indefinite article )

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Participle
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn32/swede1986/grammar_nazi.jpg

Just to nit-pick (since that's in the spirit of this thread), why would a grammar nazi have a dictionary?  Wouldn't that be more appropriate for a typo/spelling nazi?

I almost used that one as it's one of the first that show up in a google images search on 'grammar nazi' ... but I didn't for the same reason. Spelling <> Grammar.

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm ju'st happy no one here mi'su'se's apo'strophe's.

Everyone know's apo'strophe's 'should be in'serted before every "'s".
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have we done a "who" versus "whom" post yet?

I have seen an increase in using "whom" in the nominative case.

I was just thinking this the other day.   Drives me nuts.    People probably think it makes them sound more eloquent.  

The other one that makes me insane is using 'and' in place of 'an'.  

"I saw and animal in my back yard, yo.  What it be ?"      
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Most members here just do not care.  It is the internet.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

- Misspelling the word "the" ("teh").  How do you misspell "THE" for Christ's sake?

I do it on purpose sometimes just to piss people off.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:19:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay, now I have seen it all.

I was just in another thread, and a member there had misspelled the world "rifle."

He spelled it "rifel."

All previous doubt has been erased.  I am now certain that we are doomed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Most members here just do not care.  It is the internet.

Problem is, that apathy almost always makes them sound like an idiot in real life too.  

It's just like the stupid 'chat/text-speak' you see on paper nowadays, because kids are too damned lazy to type a few extra letters and spell out a whole word.

It's kind of pathetic and certainly doesn't help make a person appear to have any recognizable intelligence.  

How can you take anyone seriously in real life when they're too friggen lazy to spell a word ?    
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Seriously, it makes you wonder how people can be so dumb that they don't mind posting this stuff and making themselves sound like they come from the junior retard patrol.

You do recognize that this is an incorrect use of the word sound, don't you?
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This post is doubleplusungood.

Indeed, that is one of my biggest pet peeves next to "your" vs. "you're."
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#13]
So, you're saying it's okay to write: I seen a board in two, that was jumping over a fence.

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, no it's not.

By speaking like a dope, you aurally 'sound' like a dope.    
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So, you're saying it's okay to write: I seen a board in two, that was jumping over a fence.

Only if you change it to: "I('ve / have) seen a board (sawn) in two, that was jumping over a fence.  

Can ya tell I'm bored today ?
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just thinking this the other day.   Drives me nuts.

What did the pirate say when asked about the steering wheel sticking out from his pants?
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, a good many ARFCOM threads could be used by 8th grade English teachers, when giving class instruction on incorrect grammar and spelling.

Constantly seen examples:

- "Lose" (as in, "Hillary will LOSE the nomination") being spelled "loose."

- No concept whatsoever of the differences between "their," "there," and "they're."

- Saying "exact same" (which is redundant), instead of "exact" or "same."

- Saying "a whole nother" instead of "another."

As mentioned already, "teh" is a typo - I hope.

Regional colloquialisms like "whole 'nother" don't bother me - most people recognize that they are not proper English.  Also, "exact same" may not be technically correct, but is generally recognized as a common expression, synonymous with "exactly the same."

I'm not sure why either would bother you in this type of setting.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Your efforts, although commendable, are futile.  I once read a post of a member who claimed he knew his use of "your" was incorrect but did not care.

RE: As in "your wrong."

It is difficult to combat apathy.

I believe, the person who called him out said something like ,

"It takes a special kind of retard to argue on the wrong side of second grade spelling.
LAWL!
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What did the pirate say when asked about the steering wheel sticking out from his pants?

Somehow, I think I'm gonna regret this.  

What ?
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#20]
The most common fuckup I see on this board is "lose" versus "loose".

For fucks' sake people, that's like 4th grade shit.

(yes, I mean it to be the possessive of several, i.e. more than one "fucks")
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What ?

I thought we were playing Jeopardy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What ?

"It drives me nuts."

Hence Adam made the joke playing off your post.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#23]
The ones that drive me nuts are the misuse of their, there, and they're.  WTF?  It's not too hard to figure out the correct us of these but some people must be complete idiots.

For example:  I'm going to go over there, to their range, because they're shooting.  DUH!

I swear some posters here didn't pass elementary school.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I was just on another thread and the person was using a comma instead of an apostrophe.
Come on people,thats elementary school.I thought the majority of people on ARFcom were in college.
We ARE doomed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It's the aforementiond apathy that is the most frustrating.

I personally had used "break" instead of "brake" regarding the muzzle, well... my whole life.

I was corrected here on arfcom - and have been set straight since.

Some people take pride in being wrong.  I mean, really, at this point is there ANY excuse for an arfcommer who cannot distinguish "loose" from "lose?"

I have seen YOU do this numerous times dude... I'll make sure to point it out next time...
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Your efforts, although commendable, are futile.  I once read a post of a member who claimed he knew his use of "your" was incorrect but did not care.

+1.  Sometimes a poster's grammar is so bad, their posts are nearly incomprehensible, but God forbid you suggest they use punctuation, or that they not type like they're text messaging.
So I say, "Fuck it!"  If people want to be regarded as morons, with a less than third grade education, so be it.

Link Posted: 5/11/2008 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Correctly using their or there on a forum is not one of the more important things in life.

If being a Grammar Nazi makes you feel better about yourself then I feel sorry for you.

If you think that it makes other people feel better about you then you are wrong.

If you think that you are going to make the corrected person better in some way then you are only kidding yourself.

If it is your intent to make good people feel small then you are probably succeeding.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the aforementiond apathy that is the most frustrating.

I personally had used "break" instead of "brake" regarding the muzzle, well... my whole life.

I was corrected here on arfcom - and have been set straight since.

Some people take pride in being wrong.  I mean, really, at this point is there ANY excuse for an arfcommer who cannot distinguish "loose" from "lose?"

I have seen YOU do this numerous times dude... I'll make sure to point it out next time...

Please do.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 4:36:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  Sometimes a poster's grammar is so bad, their posts are nearly incomprehensible, but God forbid you suggest they use punctuation, or that they not type like they're text messaging.
So I say, "Fuck it!"  If people want to be regarded as morons, with a less than third grade education, so be it.

I write without upper case and without punctuation pretty often. For some reason that doesn't bug me, but seen/saw does.

Link Posted: 5/12/2008 4:43:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
What irks me more than grammar errors is the very common misspelling and speaking of words that seemed to be missed or misconstrued in school. For some reason many are getting these seemingly simple words wrong. examples:

Muzzle Break  instead of the correct: Muzzle Brake  - It brakes recoil, it does not "break" anything:.

Taunt instead of the correct:  Taut, when speaking of tightness or tension. "Pull the rope Taunt" I have heard this too many times. If you are "taunting" an animal, ok but the rope is pulled "Taut".

Ordinance instead of the correct: "Ordnance" when speaking of explosives and munitions. I see this frequently on AR15.COM, I am not sure why. An ordinance is a law enacted by a legal body, ordnance is munitions.

I don't know why our school system seems to be failing us in this respect, but I keep seeing the same type of error again and again, even when corrected, many continue using them in error.

It's enough to make you beat your head on a dictionary...

When school teachers send notes home, I often correct their spelling and grammar before having my kid take the note back.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 4:48:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm sorry that I missed a good old fashion Grammar Nazi Thread yesterday.

I wuz whatching a loco Bassball game from a privat sweet.

Link Posted: 5/12/2008 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#33]
This been a gooder thread.  Their be nothin better.  This is what I end with.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Correctly using their or there on a forum is not one of the more important things in life.  Absolutely true.

If being a Grammar Nazi makes you feel better about yourself then I feel sorry for you.  Nope.  Don't worry, I feel pretty good about myself already.

If you think that it makes other people feel better about you then you are wrong.  Not my intent.  I couldn't care less.

If you think that you are going to make the corrected person better in some way then you are only kidding yourself.  That's too bad because, whether they like it or not, people's intelligence is judged by others.  A person's writing style means a lot in this regard.

If it is your intent to make good people feel small then you are probably succeeding.  Not my intent either.  Just hoping that folks have an open mind and are willing to learn something.  

Whether a person likes it or not, right or wrong, etc., etc., their written words will be read by others who WILL form an opinion about the author.  This opinion may be unfavorable if the author writes like a third grader.  Personally, I couldn't care less what people think but I still try to write like I graduated high school.  Additionally, my profession is hard on folks that write like crap.

It kills me that this thread has touched a nerve in the way that it has.  Are some people's minds SO CLOSED that they're incapable of learning??  A day without learning something is pretty boring to me.  Meh.  Whatever.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 5:33:17 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, no it's not.

By speaking like a dope, you aurally 'sound' like a dope.    

Typing is not speaking.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#36]
meh

Loose = not tight

Lose = not the winner

Drives me nuts!
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Correctly using their or there on a forum is not one of the more important things in life.  Absolutely true.

If being a Grammar Nazi makes you feel better about yourself then I feel sorry for you.  Nope.  Don't worry, I feel pretty good about myself already.

If you think that it makes other people feel better about you then you are wrong.  Not my intent.  I couldn't care less.

If you think that you are going to make the corrected person better in some way then you are only kidding yourself.  That's too bad because, whether they like it or not, people's intelligence is judged by others.  A person's writing style means a lot in this regard.

If it is your intent to make good people feel small then you are probably succeeding.  Not my intent either.  Just hoping that folks have an open mind and are willing to learn something.  

Whether a person likes it or not, right or wrong, etc., etc., their written words will be read by others who WILL form an opinion about the author.  This opinion may be unfavorable if the author writes like a third grader.  Personally, I couldn't care less what people think but I still try to write like I graduated high school.  Additionally, my profession is hard on folks that write like crap.

It kills me that this thread has touched a nerve in the way that it has.  Are some people's minds SO CLOSED that they're incapable of learning??  A day without learning something is pretty boring to me.  Meh.  Whatever.

Carry on.

B-

Next time focus more on comprehension as well as substance over form.

ETA:  Continue to use Meh when you want to impress 10th graders and confuse people who speak proper English.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#38]
We need taller fences.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#39]
What gets me is that nearly everyone on this site bitches about having to "press 1 for English", about seeing other languages on product packages, about schools accommodating non-English speaking students, but they don't take the time to use English correctly themselves!

If you value it so much, and want to preserve it, LEARN TO SPEAK IT PROPERLY!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Affect is a verb.  "The cold AFFECTS the performance of the battery."
Effect is a noun.  "The effect of the cold on the battery was a decrease in performance."

Apostrophes mean something.  They either make a word posessive, or they stand for a letter ommited in a contraction of two words.

Whose "The cat, whose owner was away, wreaked havoc on the fine porcelain."
Who's - "Who's sitting in that empty chair?"

It's - ONLY means "it is."  NEVER posessive.  "I have a car, and it's tan."
Its - NEVER means "it is."  ALWAYS posessive.  "I have a car, and its color is tan."

Then - means, more or less, "next" or "therefore," or "a time ago"
"I ate, and then I threw up."  or "If you eat that, then you are stupid."  or "back then, things were different."
Than - a comparision.  "I am smarter than you."
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Participle? Participle?
A participle is the smallest form of matter.  Why is a grammar Nazi talking about physics?

Just kidding!
I know a participle is really one one-thousandth of a ciple!  (But that's math, so, again why is the grammar Nazi concerned?)

OK, forgive me; for I have an odd sense of humor (but I know how to use a semi-colon - which is nowhere near as dangerous as a fully automatic colon).

OK, I'll stop now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Participle? Participle?
A participle is the smallest form of matter.  Why is a grammar Nazi talking about physics?

Just kidding!
I know a participle is really one one-thousandth of a ciple!  (But that's math, so, again why is the grammar Nazi concerned?)

OK, forgive me; for I have an odd sense of humor (but I know how to use a semi-colon - which is nowhere near as dangerous as a fully automatic colon).

OK, I'll stop now.

How do you make a participle loose enough to dangle?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 2:50:23 AM EDT
[#43]
More mistakes that I hate:

Past history

Hot water heater

UPC code

ATM machine

GNC center

x:xx AM in the morning

Could care less

All present and accounted for

Little alone

I literally drove a thousand miles an hour
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:05:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I seen what you done there.

CPO SWCC US Navy (Retired)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top