Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is requiring that I allow them to print our home address in a school directory that will be distributed to all of the other parents at the school or else they will not allow my child to participate in any class functions like the yearbook, class pictures, awards programs, school productions (plays, choir) pretty much anything that would include him in being a part of a group or class.

Now personally I have a few issues with this like the fact that all the neighborhood pedophile has to do is get a copy of the class pictures and a directory and they know right where to pick my kid up at.

The school says it is for my child's protection but I can't see how this protects my child...If by putting him more at risk they mean to protect him then I'm confused.

Evidently its the entire school district K-12 that is making this mandatory.

I hear its because the school almost got sued for posting some persons home address last year...but I can't be sure of the source on that one.

Do you think that there is anything I can do about this?

Before you go there: private school is not an option at this point or he would already be there.

This violates The Privacy Act OF 1974, 5 U.S.C. § 552a -- As Amended.

Hire an attorney to write a letter to the principal, CC'd to the school district administrator and every member of the school board.  The letters should be sent via registered mail with a return receipt so they can not deny service.

The attorney needs to be a good one, not a shyster.

The letter should threaten a Federal civil rights lawsuit based on Title 18, U.S.C., Section 241 - Conspiracy Against Rights; Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242 - Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law; and Title 42, U.S.C., Section 14141 - Pattern and Practice.

The letter should also tell them that if they do not cease and desist in their discriminatory practice your attorney will also present the facts to the US Attorney for the area for potential criminal action.

PAGE THREE IS MINE!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:23:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The school says it is for my child's protection but I can't see how this protects my child..

...and I bet they couldn't explain it if they tried.  It's just some BS line they are parroting without even a nanosecond of thought behind it.

The school should explain why they feel it's necessary to impose such draconian penalties on a rule with no logical reasoning behind it in the first place.

Fuck I hate mindless school administration cheesedicks.

ETA:  Seeing who the OP is I'm surprised he hasn't started WW III with the bastards yet.

(Ra, that's a compliment, not an insult)

Bingo.

These people are idiots.  This a well worth a fight on your part.

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:27:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
For Christ's sake, remove your tinfoil and sign off.

How is watching out for your family's safety and privacy a tinfoil had conspiracy?

Anywho, I would offer up a partial address or something. The school should already have your address on file anyways, but there is no need to distribute it publicly.

What happens if you have an unlisted address like a cop or a corrections officer?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:27:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Perhaps you shouldn't solicit opinions if you are afraid you might disagree with some of them. You are only fucking with your kid by being so paranoid. Every kid looks forward to school pictures and the yearbook. You want to deny her that because you think there's a pedophile around every corner? Or is this the hill you want to plant your "No Govt. intrusion" flag on? If that's it, then you think pretty small.

Not to be a pedantic prick, but men of character don't compromise on matters of principle, no matter how trivial.  

If the school can't articulate why they have this "rule", then they certainly don't deserve compliance or cooperation.

well said
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd have to say no to printing my address but I would try everything I could to make sure your kid doesn't miss out on things. It sucks to be 6 and not get to do what everyone else is doing. I think your school system is FUBAR.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is the directory going to include the home addresses and phone numbers of the teachers, staff and the pricipal ?

If not, then tell them to suck eggs.  And show up for EVERY school function and personally walk your child into the events.

Yup, thats what I would ask for as well, along with the home addresses of all school board members.

Tell them you want to stop by and talk about the directory and the problems it could raise.

If they don't give you their addresses... fuck them. Laywer up and ride that pony. The stuff at the top of this page looks pretty sound.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#7]
The directory is probably being published by the parent-teacher organization without access to the official school data base, thus the need to ask permission and have you supply the data.
No FERPA issue.

Way to isolate your kid though.
That should help then grow up with normal interactions.
No listing in the school directory and MY child will not be visiting for any reason.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:54:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Fuck these commies.  Threaten a lawsuit.  Or...let them segregate your child after you say no to publishing your address and then sue the fuck out of them.  You're sure to be on Fox News within a month.  

+1
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:57:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I dunno about the home address, but from the perspective of a parent who had a wild one in high school, let me say this:  having the ability to find names and phone numbers of the parents of your child's friends can be very valuable indeed.  Very valuable.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:57:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

do you have a child??

in a large public school, i would set up meetings with people who sign checks.

my son goes to a very small private school and we have the option. i feel comfortable in doing that. but in a routine publik skoole i dont think i would.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I dunno about the home address, but from the perspective of a parent who had a wild one in high school, let me say this:  having the ability to find names and phone numbers of the parents of your child's friends can be very valuable indeed.  Very valuable.

for 6 year olds?  it's not like the kid is gonna go out and party with his friends, and pass out drunk at a friend's house.

to the OP, I didn't read the whole thread, but I'd lie.

"123 Main Street".
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Let them print it.

It's for the children.

Oh, and make sure your kid is wearing sunblock!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#13]
My kid's school does this. It makes it so if I want to call somebody, I can. If I want to invite all the kids in my kid's class to a birthday party, I can. If I want to invite everybody except for the one rotten little fucker, I can.

I'm pretty sure that someone harvested the directory list for some real estate marketing, because we live almost an hour away from the school, and we get the occasional "Home of Distinction" mailer with someone trying to sell us a $2.5 million house, and in the description it will say "Close to _________ Academy"

It doesn't bother me, though. I have a gun, so I can shoot people who show up at my house to try to kidnap my kids.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:08:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The problem that I'm having is that the school district is blackmailing us into cooperation by threating to keep our child out of said activities.

That is the problem.

That and the fact that I see no reason for anybody to have this information except for maybe his classroom. The school already has this information on file, they just hit the panic button because they F'd up last year and almost got sued.

Then take advantage of their fear of lawsuits. Have an attorney write them a letter, addressing your privacy & safety concerns. They'll drop the issue like a hot potato. They have no business forcing you to allow them to publish your information. They have a legitimate right to have that information for their own use, but not to publish it to others.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd fight it, but if you decide to go along with it could you maybe use a PO Box as your home address?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pretty weird.

If you want my advice - I would say that you should just go with the flow.

It might be the best option for all parties involved.

Sometimes you just have to eat shit.

Herd behavior is just going to allow them to up the ante for next year.

You never have to eat shit, not when it comes to your families safety!

I would simply decline.  Your kid is SIX.  If there are really honest to goodness bad results of this, reassess next year.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Threaten a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:14:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Fuck these commies.  Threaten a lawsuit.  Or...let them segregate your child after you say no to publishing your address and then sue the fuck out of them.  You're sure to be on Fox News within a month.  

There you go. +1
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#19]
FWIW, I'm the School Resource Officer for the school district in the city where I work.  I can't see any legitimate reason for the home address of any student at all to be published as public knowledge (let alone all of them), and I can't see how it would do anything to protect your or anyone elses children.  Quite the opposite I think.

I bet that the home addresses of teachers and administrators won't be public knowledge, and that the teachers unions would have an anuerism if they even suggested it.  And they would probably cite safety as a reason NOT to do it.

-K
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Give them the principal's address as your own.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:18:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
FWIW, I'm the School Resource Officer for the school district in the city where I work.  I can't see any legitimate reason for the home address of any student at all to be published as public knowledge (let alone all of them), and I can't see how it would do anything to protect your or anyone elses children.  Quite the opposite I think
I bet that the home addresses of teachers and administrators won't be public knowledge, and that the teachers unions would have an anuerism if they even suggested it.  And they would probably cite safety as a reason NOT to do it.

-K

Good point.

Tell them you are in the witness protection program, and dont publish it or they'll be swimming  with da fishes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:18:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Is requiring that I allow them to print our home address in a school directory that will be distributed to all of the other parents at the school or else they will not allow my child to participate in any class functions like the yearbook, class pictures, awards programs, school productions (plays, choir) pretty much anything that would include him in being a part of a group or class.

Now personally I have a few issues with this like the fact that all the neighborhood pedophile has to do is get a copy of the class pictures and a directory and they know right where to pick my kid up at.

The school says it is for my child's protection but I can't see how this protects my child...If by putting him more at risk they mean to protect him then I'm confused.

Evidently its the entire school district K-12 that is making this mandatory.

I hear its because the school almost got sued for posting some persons home address last year...but I can't be sure of the source on that one.

Do you think that there is anything I can do about this?

Before you go there: private school is not an option at this point or he would already be there.

Put another address on the form.

Then, after the yearbook comes out, fill out a change of address form

simple

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:25:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:27:21 AM EDT
[#24]
In our school system they send a note to opt out of this.  Call the office.  I can't see them "making "you.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Give FALSE information. plain and simple.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#26]
All the posters that think it is no problem should start a new thread and share their phone numbers and addresses with every one here........
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Family Watch Dog

Go ahead and enter YOUR city, ZIP, address, etc, and see what pops up.  

Then, reconsider how safe you would feel publishing your home address where your children live.  

Keep in mind that these are only the registered offenders.

ETA: It must be nice to live with your head in the sand.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

for 6 year olds?  it's not like the kid is gonna go out and party with his friends, and pass out drunk at a friend's house.

to the OP, I didn't read the whole thread, but I'd lie.

"123 Main Street".

The OP said it was a policy across the entire district, all years.  Since the policy was based on a wider perspective than 6-year-olds, I was just adding some personal experience based on that.  In any case,

I dunno about the home address, but

having the names and phone numbers of your 6-year-old's friends parents can be useful in setting up play dates.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

having the names and phone numbers of your 6-year-old's friends parents can be useful in setting up play dates.

I don't care who you are or where you from...

But "play dates" are just flat out GHEY!!!!!!!!!

There's no kids in the neighborhood?   or or or or well okay, maybe just

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The school says it is for my child's protection but I can't see how this protects my child...

Typical "it's for the children" answer.
They want info in case your child needs protection from you. They cannot keep their nose out of your business, they NEED to know.

AB
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Just write the school's address in there.  See if anyone notices.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd tell 'em to fuck off, there is NO need for any such document to exist. the only address they should have is the one for the student record, and that's it.

on the other hand, you could give the arfcom answer:

1060 West Addison

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I wouldn't do it.

Get a lawyer.

Fuggin A.

I'm a little amazed at the number of people who are saying "just go along with it."

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Just write the school's address in there.  See if anyone notices.

I do that at Cabelas.  When those bastards ask for my phone number, I give them theirs.

Nobody has said anything in retort.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'd tell 'em to fuck off, there is NO need for any such document to exist. the only address they should have is the one for the student record, and that's it.

1060 West Addison

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I wouldnt want the information published either.  How about just making up the info, thats what I generally do when I'm asked for private info that I dont want to give out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Exactly +10000000

Take precautions at home, shit man even with my unpublished info, people still can get my info off of peopleseaarch.com.   Chill out and sign off so your kid can enjoy school.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly +10000000

Take precautions at home, shit man even with my unpublished info, people still can get my info off of peopleseaarch.com.   Chill out and sign off so your kid can enjoy school.

Point of order:

Children are not supposed to "enjoy" school.  They are supposed to learn shit
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#39]
my school district is doing away with yellow buses and picking up kids at random locations in unmarked verhicles to prevent the pedophiles from knowing where they live. They send us a encrypted text message with pick up instructions and locations just minutes before the schedule time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#40]
what would some of the people who don't have a problem with the list have to say about a published list of CCW or firearms owners ?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
It's a matter of privacy and you have a legit concern. If you roll over like all the other parents who are sheeple then nothing will change, like hold the school board accountable. If you find you can't do anything legal to the school and don't want your child to be deprived then I would provide an address ANY address....and not say a word.

Just an example of not saying anything and follow the heard. Our school district charges 3.00 at the begining of each school year. This "FEE" is claimed to be for dances and other acitivities and essentially it goes for the Senior party of my childs class. Not one parent complains or asks about this fee. They just do as they are told. I refused to pay this last year since my son paid for his school dances, games and was not attending the Senior party. When it came for graduation the school was going to keep him from participating in the grad ceremony because of not paying the 3.00. They couldn't keep him from graduating but they could keep him from the ceremony......I told the principal the 3.00 fee is a "tax" /  "tuition" and it was not legal. I asked him what is keeping the public schools from charging a $100.00  "Fee" / "Tuition" for all children to attend public school and he said nothing. In fact he said that is the direction public schools are going. (You see they can't call  it "tuition" but they can call it a "fee" and get away with it. Kind of how our State and Federal governments get away with "taxing" us with "fees".)  I told the principal my son would be present for graduation and I wanted to see him keep him from attending. To avoid any issues on graduation day the principal paid the 3.00 out of his pocket.

Stick to your principles / ethics and make those assholes justify their actions. If you are not happy then take your kid to a private school. If I was just starting to raise kids today they would not be exposed to our public school system of indoctrination. Good luck.

What he said.

The Principle would be justifying that disclosure to me before I provided anything.

I am not naive enough to believe that the "other" kids parents are all upstanding citizens in the community. As a matter of fact I'd be willing to bet there are a fair number of felons, drug addicts and general scum bags in the group and I don't want them knowing where my family lives.

This is called "discretion", the school would have my contact information but it is not to be made public.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

1060 West Addison

Jake: 1060 West Addison? That's Wrigley Field.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#43]
This doesn't make sense.  I wouldn't want my info in a public directory either.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#44]

If the parent-teacher organization got the address from the school records, then it is a FERPA issue.  It is still not legal for the parent-teacher organization to publish the information when a parent has stated that they don't want it published.  

Quoted:
The directory is probably being published by the parent-teacher organization without access to the official school data base, thus the need to ask permission and have you supply the data.
No FERPA issue.

Way to isolate your kid though.
That should help then grow up with normal interactions.
No listing in the school directory and MY child will not be visiting for any reason.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps you should go take a dump or something and let the adults chat about adult things.

Perhaps you shouldn't solicit opinions if you are afraid you might disagree with some of them. You are only fucking with your kid by being so paranoid. Every kid looks forward to school pictures and the yearbook. You want to deny her that because you think there's a pedophile around every corner? Or is this the hill you want to plant your "No Govt. intrusion" flag on? If that's it, then you think pretty small.

If you wanted to answer the question to the original post than I wouldn't have to have a smart ass come back for you. Do you have kids? If so would you mail/e-mail your home address to the entire school for no apparent reason?

Most everyone at our school know's me and know's where I live.
The last time I looked it was even printed in the phone book and was available on White Pages dot com.

All of my LEO friends tell me it is always the people who do not want there address, phone numbers etc. printed that are the ones who they have most of the trouble out of.

There are plenty of people here that know my address, phone number and other info and I still sleep at night.
Heck I even had a couple members stop by work the other day to drop off something I purchased,

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
my school district is doing away with yellow buses and picking up kids at random locations in unmarked verhicles to prevent the pedophiles from knowing where they live. They send us a encrypted text message with pick up instructions and locations just minutes before the schedule time.

Great idea!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#47]
set up a PO box and have them send their trash mail and propaganda there
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#48]
I had some issues with this when my kids were in school. I just let it go as we were in a very small school and I knew everyone already.
I would object if the student body was over say 1000, or if it was in a big city. Your choice but like someone else said, ask why and your head may explode.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I had a look at the FERPA regs and while they say that you can refuse to allow the school to publish the student's address, etc., I bet the school district is thinking, well, that's fine, if you don't want us to publish the address that's your right, but if you don't, then your student is going to be excluded from activities, etc.  FERPA regs don't explicitly prohibit us from imposing those conditions on you, and so long as we don't make the disclosures then we are meeting our FERPA obligations.  I'm not sure this interpretation would hold up in court but it's probably enough for the dopey school board and their administrators to do what they're doing until they are called on it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Why on earth do they need a compilation of everyones address?!?

I don't think it's being paranoid at all. I wouldn't do it and wouldn't worry about the "penalty". It's only elementary school. Nothing good will come of the book and next year it will be gone.

As soon as the book is distributed someone will put people on a telemarketing list at best, and who knows what at worst. Don't do it, ride it out.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top