BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My kid's school does this. It makes it so if I want to call somebody, I can. If I want to invite all the kids in my kid's class to a birthday party, I can. If I want to invite everybody except for the one rotten little fucker, I can.

I'm pretty sure that someone harvested the directory list for some real estate marketing, because we live almost an hour away from the school, and we get the occasional "Home of Distinction" mailer with someone trying to sell us a $2.5 million house, and in the description it will say "Close to _________ Academy"

It doesn't bother me, though. I have a gun, so I can shoot people who show up at my house to try to kidnap my kids.

If that person wants you to call them you will already have their number. What happens if your kid is the focus of a group of bad kids, makes them kind of a target.

Looking at what comes out of the public schools around here no way in hell would I want my number and address circulating.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is requiring that I allow them to print our home address in a school directory that will be distributed to all of the other parents at the school or else they will not allow my child to participate in any class functions like the yearbook, class pictures, awards programs, school productions (plays, choir) pretty much anything that would include him in being a part of a group or class.

That's messed up. When I was in elementary school, we also had a school directory, but it was always optional and never affected your ability to participate in school activities.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a great thing in America and its called Freedom.  Freedom means choices.  It is your choice and your right to be private if you want to.  Others don't care about privacy and thats their choice .

People who ridicule you for wanting to be private do not respect your choice.  They quickly became ugly in ridiculing you.  They are not real Americans.  It is perfectly acceptable to ignore them because they obviously don't respect you, your rights or your choices.  

The rule is fundamental that their rights stop where yours begin.

The school is the one being petty and manipulative against your child and you.  Not you.  

You as well as thousands that don't have kids, pay enormous sums of money to the school.  Your child has just as much right to participate in school activities as anyone else.

The school has no legitimate need to publish a book with names, addresses, and phone numbers.  It is up to you to share that information with whom you please.

The best way to communicate with these people is to send them a letter.  If they ignore you or chastise you, then you may decide to get a lawyer.

Keep the letter short and on topic.  Use the internet to find laws that support your position.  State them plainly in a manner that is business like but not overly heavy on legal threats.  Let them know that you do not wish to be arm twisted and that you are on firm ground.

You do not need a reason to maintain your privacy.  Some people prefer to be left alone.  Some people prefer to save the time they have for themselves and their family.  It is your choice to decide who you associate with and who you invite to your home.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just tell the school that your kid doesn't have his own place yet. The address where he lives is yours and since you will not be providing it for their directory, then they can feel free to not include you in the yearbook

Winner.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Give them a hotel address.

Or send a nice, large type letter pointing out that this directory they want to make up would
be VERY popular among the pedophiles in the community.

Or just cut right to the chase and file suit against the school district.

CJ
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Get their position in writing if you don't already have it.  When you kid is excluded from the first event,  sue everyone involved.  Now you can send your kid to private school.  Well, it would be great if it could work they way.  I'd just like to see them get charged ($) for screwing with people.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:54:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
For Christ's sake, remove your tinfoil and sign off.

Perhaps you should go take a dump or something and let the adults chat about adult things.

Perhaps you shouldn't solicit opinions if you are afraid you might disagree with some of them. You are only fucking with your kid by being so paranoid. Every kid looks forward to school pictures and the yearbook. You want to deny her that because you think there's a pedophile around every corner? Or is this the hill you want to plant your "No Govt. intrusion" flag on? If that's it, then you think pretty small.

If you wanted to answer the question to the original post than I wouldn't have to have a smart ass come back for you. Do you have kids? If so would you mail/e-mail your home address to the entire school for no apparent reason?

Most everyone at our school know's me and know's where I live.
The last time I looked it was even printed in the phone book and was available on White Pages dot com.

All of my LEO friends tell me it is always the people who do not want there address, phone numbers etc. printed that are the ones who they have most of the trouble out of.

There are plenty of people here that know my address, phone number and other info and I still sleep at night.
Heck I even had a couple members stop by work the other day to drop off something I purchased,

BigDozer66

"if you don't have anything to hide, you won't mind if I search your house"

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top