Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/5/2001 7:48:07 AM EDT
Earlier this week I discovered that a black widow spider had taken up residence in my furnace closet.  I just captured it.  It's mad as hell, sitting in a Tupperware container.

I hate to kill spiders 'cause they catch a lot of bugs.  But this is a Bad Spider.

Suggestions, please.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Freaking kill it...and kill it now damnit!![xx(]

They are mean useless spiders!!

sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]
get another one, breed them until you have thousands and load them up into 37mm rounds you can launch at terorrists.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm inclined to torch or stomp it, but I'm not sure they're completely useless.  Didn't they used to use black widow web for fine reticles in optics?
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
get another one, breed them until you have thousands and load them up into 37mm rounds you can launch at terorrists.
View Quote

This is the Occupied California Republic, dammit.  I can't GET a 37 mm launcher here.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Black Widows dont eat as much as you think.  Where there is one spider, there are bound to be more.  Since the BW population has no worries at the moment.  SHOW NO MERCY!!! How would you like the bugger to crawl into your bed at night?  Here in Iowa, the Brown Recluse (sp) spider is shown no mercy.  The "Fiddler" has a poison that is very acidic, and when someone is bitten, the poison creates a scar in the form of a crater, very nasty and painful.

I say either kill it, or take it out to the country somepplacr an let it loose.

JRB    
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#7]
My vote is kill it.

If it was a snake or any other animal I would say let it go...far from your house.

However, I hate spiders!
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Freaking kill it...and kill it now damnit!![xx(]

They are mean useless spiders!!

sgtar15
View Quote

I will strongly second that motion.  If you need a reason why, let it bite you and wonder no more!

Edited to suggest a microwave oven to "dispose" of the evil creature.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the Occupied California Republic, dammit.  I can't GET a 37 mm launcher here.
View Quote

are you sure it's even legal to have the spider? [;D]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Didn't they used to use black widow web for fine reticles in optics?
View Quote

Yes, at one time. I read an article about it in [i]Guns & Ammo[/i] 25 to 30 years ago on the subject. They said in the article that the web of a BW is the strongest substance known to man of equal size. (I have no idea if this were true at the time or remains true today.)
You do realize of course that their venom is sufficient to kill a grown adult?

[b]I would suggest you take to one of your CA politicians offices, perhaps Feinstein, to see what they think you should do with it. But be very, very careful it does not escape in the office before you can turn it over to them.[/b]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:...are you sure it's even legal to have the spider? [;D]
View Quote

Have it in living in my house without paying any rent or its share of the bills?  Of course THAT'S legal.

Have it captured in a Tupperware container?  Borderline.

Torture it to death?  Definitely NOT legal.

I'm not sure how one does legally kill a spider in this state.  BWs aren't on the endangered list.

I'm thinking about letting it loose in the canyon across the street.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Last time I had one captured, when I let it go it came after me, I shot it with a BB Gun I had.  That was a long time ago.........I kill everyone I see now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Locate the biggest asshole on your block, then release it in his/her mailbox!  [}:D]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Locate the biggest asshole on your block, then release it in his/her mailbox!  [}:D]
View Quote

Definitely a violation of Federal law.

But there is an asshole down the street who drives WAY too fast past my house every day...

[chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Is there a remote area near your area where you could release it?  You know, out in a wooded area?
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#16]
flush it (burial at sea) or freeze it and give the carcass to your local high school biology teacher.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Put it in a glass jar w/ a pinch of rubbing alcohol... light a match! [flame]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Being alergic to spiders, I say kill that sum`bitch. [:)]  Deadly spiders should be shown no mercy.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Torch the little bastard!!
[img]http://www.stomptokyo.com/godzillatemple/icons/godline2.gif[/img]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't kill it! There are places that you can give it to that will milk the venom out of it to make an anti-venom out of it that could one day save some ones life maybe even yours or your child.

I don't know the name of any places that that do that but if you call animal control or a animal hospital they may be able to help you find a place
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is there a remote area near your area where you could release it?  You know, out in a wooded area?
View Quote

I take it you've never been to San Diego.  The nearest wooded area to me is Balboa Park, where a grove of majestic redwoods has SPRINKLER PIPES running through it.

I couldn't let a dangerous spider loose there.  Too many noncombatants.  And Leadfoot down the street has kids and a dog, so his yard is out too.

If I don't come up with a sudden urge to kill something in the next 20 minutes I'm going to turn this vile critter loose in a big canyon near where I work.  The place is overgrown with thick brush (way overdue for a fire actually), and already crawling with ticks, scorpions, and rattlesnakes.

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I'm also going to FIRE UP THE FURNACE because as JRB L1A1 observed, there are probably more BWs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I take it you've never been to San Diego.  The nearest wooded area to me is Balboa Park, where a grove of majestic redwoods has SPRINKLER PIPES running through it.

I couldn't let a dangerous spider loose there.  Too many noncombatants.  And Leadfoot down the street has kids and a dog, so his yard is out too.

If I don't come up with a sudden urge to kill something in the next 20 minutes I'm going to turn this vile critter loose in a big canyon near where I work.  The place is overgrown with thick brush (way overdue for a fire actually), and already crawling with ticks, scorpions, and rattlesnakes.

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I'm also going to FIRE UP THE FURNACE because as JRB L1A1 observed, there are probably more BWs.
View Quote

I think you have lived in Kali too long. [whacko]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:03:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Where I went to college, there were a lot of Black Widows around the area. A friend and I used to occasionally catch the biggest ones we could find. We'ld keep them in jars until the other had found himself a "contender".

Once we both had what we believed was a true champion, we would plop them in to a neutral jar, and let'em fight. Small wagers were made. Great entertainment for the simpleton in all of us.

I once found a spider of another type, still don't know what the hell it was, but I faught him against the biggest black widow my buddy could come up with. The mystery spider kicked the crap out of this monster black widow in record time. Once put in to the "arena", this spider wasted no time, ran over, locked its jaws around the Black Widow and it was lights out. We were both impressed, even though it cost my buddy $10.00.

We had a policy of letting the winning spiders go free. They earned it.
[img]www.digitalblasphemy.com/graphics/newmem.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Since the females kill thier males after they mate,(kind of like human females) find out if it is a male or female. Kill the female, release the male. Kind of like brothers in arms.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Don't kill it! There are places that you can give it to that will milk the venom out of it to make an anti-venom out of it that could one day save some ones life maybe even yours or your child.

I don't know the name of any places that that do that but if you call animal control or a animal hospital they may be able to help you find a place
View Quote

Excellent suggestion.  I tried that, and at the end of every phone goose-chase some entymologist or verterinarian or professor or poison control expert said "Turn it loose."  It turns out most of the treatments for BW bites are synthetic, unlike rattlesnake antivenon.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:...We had a policy of letting the winning spiders go free. They earned it....[/img]
View Quote

That's funnier than hell.

I have a friend that used to launch sow bugs in model rockets.  He'd keep the survivors as honored verteran Astronauts and mark them with a little drop of white-out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Put it in a glass jar with a piece of tree branch and let it lay an egg sack. Then watch. its the coolest thing you have ever seen. About 500 little pinheads come down like air mobile rangers and then proceed to kill and eat each other until there are only about 8 or 10 left. VERY educational. Then you can kill it!
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think you have lived in Kali too long. [whacko]
View Quote

I think hg nailed it. I thought at first you were just bullshitting us about what to do with it. But if plan to release it you have obviously fallen prey to the mindset that it's life is more valuable than the kid, or father feeding a family that it or it's off spring may bite.

Forget the spider. Leave it in it's Tupperware container and seek professional help immediately. I would recommend a cleragyman to exorcise the liberal demons that have taken control of and now possession you mind.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I found one here at work and put it in a clear tupperware type candy bowel with a lid.  I fed it a praying mantis, grasshopper and others.  Left it on the corner of my desk for all to see.  Makes a great conversation piece! [:D]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I was bitten over the summer by one of them little bastards..

I say fry it!!

Fry baby, fry!!
[pyro]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#31]
I had some fun with a big f*ckin spider(2" dia.) at work a couple of weeks ago. I put it an an unmarked evidence bag and left it in the Lt's office on the desk. It made the rounds through the Dept. and scared the sh*t out of a lot of curious people.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Make sure that the web and any remaining eggs, etc are completely destroyed. Keep an eye out for any new ones for a while. In case you haven't figured it out from previous threads the bite is excruciatingly painful and will cause swelling of entire extremities with concomitant pain throughout. Will probably make you yearn for anthrax!
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:...I thought at first you were just bullshitting us about what to do with it. But if plan to release it you have obviously fallen prey to the mindset that it's life is more valuable than the kid, or father feeding a family that it or it's off spring may bite....
View Quote

Gunslinger, do you kill every rattlesnake you see?  (It's illegal to kill any native reptile in California unless you are in danger from it.)  How about every honeybee?  If you don't have Africanized ones in your part of the country yet, you will some day.

I can understand how you might think I'm crackers for not immediately dispatching the spider.  To me all wildlife, even "Bad" wildlife, is on the Earth for a reason.  If my house was infested with them I'd kill them all.

There aren't a lot of wild animals around here because the climate is very, very dry.  Most people around here consider it bad form to kill anything unless it is a serious threat to you.  I'm not speaking as a brain-dead bleeding heart tree-hugger.  I'm a conservative voting NRA member with the second best gun collection on my block.

I've seen black widows by the dozens in the Southeast.  Here it's rare to see one.  Most people in most places don't even pause to think how interesting they are.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#34]
First of all, it is a female. Male Black Widows are tiny and unrecognizable except to experts.

Second, keep it. As a pet. Most pet stores now sell inexpensive enclosures specifically designed for keeping insects. Years ago when I both worked at and lived in a beach hotel in Destin Florida I kept one as a pet for almost two years until it died. They are so slow and timid that I am surprised as many people get bitten as they do. I bet some of the bites they get blamed for are actually Brown Recluse's.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#35]
The Black Widow Spider!  A worthy predator, willng to homestead the darkest recesses of its habitat.  Let the bugger go.  Spiders have eight eyes!  They won't attack anything LARGER than themselves 'cause they don't kill what they can't eat.  They won't attack you unless you're seriously rockin' their world!  The bite causes nothing more than localized swelling or nausea unless you were near death anyway.  I've collected and kept many an arachnid as a pet and have marveled at their engineering feats.  Let 'em go, I say...
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I just have a few questions. Why is everyone calling this a "deadly" spider? Black Widow bites are rarely fatal and in most fatal cases the victom either has a heart disease or is under the age of 5 and what is all this let it go crap? It's a freakin spider! It's like stepping on an ant. Who cares! And to answer your question I catch them all the time and bring them to a local science teacher who takes pictures of the to publish in nature magazines.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For criminy's sake, the black widow's bite is akin to a bee sting for about 99% of the population.  It is nowhere near as bad as the brown recluse and YES I have been bitten by a black widow.

I say destroy it just because I hate the little phuckers, but the end of the world she ain't.

Incidently, can anyone tell me what the most venomous spider in the world is?  I'm betting most people can't.
View Quote

Daddy-long-leg spider. Right?
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#39]
littlemarine beat me to it.

I second his answer.  Daddy longlegs' fangs are too short to puncture a human's skin, but they're pure hell on small insects and other spiders.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I've had them before and if they were out of the way I would leave them alone other than tossing flies I had caught into their web. Great entertainment!

------------------------------------------------
Quoted:...We had a policy of letting the winning spiders go free. They earned it....
------------------------------------------------

M4, you are a true gentleman. Live and let live!
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
littlemarine beat me to it.

I second his answer.  Daddy longlegs' fangs are too short to puncture a human's skin, but they're pure hell on small insects and other spiders.
View Quote

I third that answer.  My understanding is that Daddy Long Legs' venom is something like 10 times more potent that a King Cobra.  But, having no way to administer that to humans, we are safe.  Ironically, if you think about how small those boogers are...just imagine how little venom they actually have.  Spider spit!  heh, heh.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#43]
I was bitten by a Black Widow a year ago while camping in Texas.

Squash her dead...  for me! [pissed]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Just kill the freakin thing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Very good, it is indeed the daddy long leg.
View Quote

Are you sure?

[url]http://www.urbanlegends.com/animals/daddy_long_legs_poisonous.html[/url]

[url]http://arachnophiliac.com/burrow/most_venomous_spider.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Second, keep it. As a pet.
View Quote

I agree.  I had a pet Black Widow for a while at Ft. Jackson.  Her name was Fifi and she was one of the most fun pets I ever had.  I kept in a small aquarium in the orderly room and would have the CQ'runners catch moths for me at night.

In the AM, I would reward the CQ runners by allowing them to feed "Fifi".  It became something of a ritual.  Afterwhile the BN CDR caught wind of Fifi's existance and would come by after PT to watch the feeding.

Link Posted: 10/5/2001 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Bad spiders need to sit in the corner, meanwhile you have to wait for your furnace to come out of the closet, best of luck. [:o)]
View Quote
[i]Bad Spiders[/i] need an attitude adjustment in the microwave oven. 'bout 3 secs. outta do it.

.  .  .  the furnace  .  .  poor, misguided furnace.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#49]
I sorry, but I am dying of laughter.  This is one of the funniest threads I have ever read.

California Kid's original post is hilarious.  "This is a Bad Spider."  LMAO!!

Anyways...my .02 is I think it is ridiculous that some of you are actually discussing "releasing" the thing and what not.  It is just a spider, just a bug.  Kill it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've seen black widows by the dozens in the Southeast.  Here it's rare to see one.  Most people in most places don't even pause to think how interesting they are.
View Quote

Hate to tell you Kid, but as a fellow San Diegan, black widows are far from rare here. I've seen them in many attics and backyards. Been bitten once as well.

There are plenty more. I like the gladiator entertainment idea myself. Mail it to the Afghan embassy or to the guy who let the terrorists stay with him in La Mesa.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top