User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2007 6:10:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:13:36 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Florencio Bernal-Michua was arrested two hours after a family of five slammed their SUV into his pickup truck, which he had left overturned on State Road 56 on Sunday morning. The SUV also plowed into the vehicle of VerLee Hunt, a 57-year-old nurse who, after seeing the overturned truck at 5:30 a.m., pulled over to search for injured.

Hunt was thrown over a concrete barrier and through a barbed wire fence. She died on impact.... blah-blah-blah....

Yeah but look how inexpensive lettuce is!

That alone is well worth the life of this nurse I'd say.

Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:23:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Early Sunday morning = drunk mexican. Not to mention the fact that he walked away, went home, and slept it off.

After 11 years in EMS I can tell you that, yes, alcohol was involved. I hope they nail that scumbag to the wall.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:31:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I suspect alcohol as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Me so sleepy... Mmmph, so tired.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Any word on charges for the suburban driver?  Going 70 at night should earn him some charges as well, even if he was blinded by headlights.  That alone should have prompted him to slow down.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to belittle what the nurse was trying to do, but why did she park with her high beams on, pretty much blinding everybody approaching?? I would think dim lights and flashers might have been a better warning.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:38:23 AM EDT
[#7]
How many US citizens are going to have to die at the hands of illegal aliens before we the people finally tell our "leaders" to get them the hell out? I heard a statistic the other day on G. Gordon Liddy's show that approx 6000 Americans per year have been killed by illegals over the past several years. This is madness folks, tens of thousands of our countrymen dead because the government will not do its job...let that sink in.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#8]
But seriously though, that's aweful.

I don't see how anyone could KILL another person with a vehicle, purposely or not, and then just decide to hitch home and go to sleep...

I would've been terrified. Not only that I just killed innocent people, but that I just fled from the scene of an accident, didn't report it in, didn't bother to help the people...

Man..... This one's hard to grasp.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:44:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok, color me confused.  Why was the driver of the suv not charged?  He/She was driving, hit the overturned truck, and killed the nurse.  The (I'm assuming Illegal) owner of the truck, at best, can be charged with leaving the scene of an accident.  This sets a REALLY BAD precident.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I don't see how anyone could KILL another person with a vehicle, purposely or not, and then just decide to hitch home and go to sleep...

I would've been terrified. Not only that I just killed innocent people, but that I just fled from the scene of an accident, didn't report it in, didn't bother to help the people...

Look at what he was charged with...killing was not one of them. All he did was leave a truck in the road. It's not HIS fault somebody ran into it.  (Thats sarcasm)
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:47:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ok, color me confused.  Why was the driver of the suv not charged?  He/She was driving, hit the overturned truck, and killed the nurse.  The (I'm assuming Illegal) owner of the truck, at best, can be charged with leaving the scene of an accident.  This sets a REALLY BAD precident.

Again, I'm sorry it went down like it did, but she did have on high beams blinding traffic.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Read it again; the guy who owned the truck didn't kill anyone, all he did was walk away from his truck after he rolled it.  Nobody else was involved in that accident; the nurse was killed by the driver of the SUV that slammed into the overturned truck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Ahhh ok, I'm sorry. I misread it.

I thought he rolled his truck when he hit someone, and the person that "died on impact" was the person he hit. My mistake.

Coffee hasn't kicked in yet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#15]
By the title I thought this was another Ted Kennedy news item.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:58:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Man charged in death of popular nurse
By Mark Havnes
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 01/30/2007 03:21:09 AM MST

CEDAR CITY - Prosecutors here have charged a Beryl man with negligent homicide for his alleged roll in a bizarre chain of events that left one woman dead and injured several others.

<snip>
Red = Would he not have been charged if the nurse was a bitch everyone hated?

Blue = Spell-checking software is awesome. It makes sure that the article doesn't have any misspelled words, even if they're the wrong words.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Charged with what?
1) An unknown vehicle was blocking the road
2) he was blinded by the high beams of the nurses vehicle

What are you going to charge him with? Driving legally?
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got to wonder, if he is illegal how did the cops know where to go get him?
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Charged with what?

Reckless driving at the very least.  Vehicular manslaughter too, IMO.  He was going at least 70mph at night and didn't slow down when he couldn't see the road -- or maybe he did slow down and was going 100 before that.  He's just as responsible as the illegal alien, IMO.  What if someone had stopped their vehicle to try to clear a fallen tree from the road?  He still would have killed them too.  If he hadn't been going way above the speed limit, he would have been able to stop in time, or at least been going 20 instead of 70 when he hit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Typical.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 7:18:52 AM EDT
[#21]
The guy charged SHOULD have called the popo and reported his wreck. As far as leaving the scene, I always thought that was so one doesn't remove the vehicle from the scene before evidence can be collected to assign blame.

If it was below zero and the middle of the night, would you have stayed with your overturned vehicle until someone happened along? It's not like you could sit inside and run the heater.

Strikes me the guy in the SUV who failed to slow down to a safe speed is basicly at fault here. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Charged with what?

Reckless driving at the very least.  Vehicular manslaughter too, IMO.  He was going at least 70mph at night and didn't slow down when he couldn't see the road -- or maybe he did slow down and was going 100 before that.  He's just as responsible as the illegal alien, IMO.  What if someone had stopped their vehicle to try to clear a fallen tree from the road?  He still would have killed them too.  If he hadn't been going way above the speed limit, he would have been able to stop in time, or at least been going 20 instead of 70 when he hit.

Interstate Speed limit here is 70, at all times.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Charged with what?

So your assuming he was speeding? Therefore, because we THINK he was speeding he should be charged.

Wonderful. You should be in jail because you own a gun. You might kill someone!

For all you know there was no speed limit. Or its 20. Or its 100. Who knows? As for someone who pulled over, when *I* pull over I usualyl dont turn my car around and turn on my brights to blind anyone else coming down the road. Thats just shit poor thinking and most likely what got the woman killed in the first place. At the least I turn on my hazard lights. I usually turn off my lights and just turn on my hazard lights.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#24]
She was probably using her headlights to illuminate the crash scene so she could find the driver.  Another good Samaritan lost.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Stupidity all around in that article

Worthless illegal doesn't bother reporting cause hey, it's cool esse
Nurse turns her brights on for some reason instead of hazards
Dipshit doing 70mph at night
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1. Yep, sounds like your classic Cluster Fuck to me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#27]
We love our illegals here in southern utah.  We have been going through a building boom.  Even the illegals building block walls make $12 per hour.  Heaven forbid we pay a citizen enough to feed his family.  It is really sad that all of the contractors in town have to live in two million dollar houses instead of the five million they deserve.  If only we could get more illegals to take the remaining decent paying blue collar jobs.

I am not sure what the speed limit is on SR56.  I think it varies between 55 and 65.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 7:59:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Driver of the overturned truck apparently left a hazard - the fucking truck - in the roadway.  Nurse parked her car & used the high beams to illuminate the overturned truck & area in an effort to locate to the driver.  I don't know what the conditions were so I don't know if 70mph was an unsafe speed for the conditions.

We had a similar case here in Sonoma County - two brothers were ordered by the county to remove the junk vehicles from their property (leave that discussion for another thread) but the brothers didn't want to spend the money to have the vehicle(s) towed to the junk yard.  So they used a chain/rope to pull the vehicles out onto the roadway where county would have to have the car(s) towed.  Well, the rope/chain broke and the brothers left one of the cars in the traffic lane in front of the brothers property - no hazards, no nothing.  Other drivers stopped and were trying to warn oncoming traffic but one driver hit the broken down car - killing the husband, wife and two toddlers.  Turns out the husband/driver was drunk, had THC in his blood and was speeding.  Brothers are facing voluntary manslaughter charges IIRC and their defense is the collision/deaths wouldn't have occured if the husband/driver hadn't been drunk, high and speeding.  Talk about a shitstorm....

Brian
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Interstate Speed limit here is 70, at all times.

According to the article, they were not on an Interstate.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
So your assuming he was speeding? Therefore, because we THINK he was speeding he should be charged.

Wonderful. You should be in jail because you own a gun. You might kill someone!

For all you know there was no speed limit. Or its 20. Or its 100. Who knows? As for someone who pulled over, when *I* pull over I usualyl dont turn my car around and turn on my brights to blind anyone else coming down the road. Thats just shit poor thinking and most likely what got the woman killed in the first place. At the least I turn on my hazard lights. I usually turn off my lights and just turn on my hazard lights.

I'm not assuming anything.  I just read the article.  You should too.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#31]
He was probably drunk and waiting to sober up before reporting the accident.

Per NHTSA 60-70% of drivers involved in single vehicle accidents have a BAC of .10% or above.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Raynor flicked his high beams to try to get Hunt to dim hers, UHP said. By the time he noticed the crash ahead, he could not avoid it. The Suburban collided with the rolled pickup at about 70 mph.

Let me see, going 70, CANT see because of bright lights, slow down??get a %^&*^$#$clue??NO  WTF  let me guess, that would have interupted the %^&*& cell phone conversation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Bad news.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Me so sleepy... Mmmph, so tired.

I think that we all need to visit the Museum of Tolerance.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I've got to wonder, if he is illegal how did the cops know where to go get him?

Documents left behind in the vehicle would be one way. Mail, wire transfer receipts, ect.

Or maybe this guy havs history with the local cops and they recognized his truck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Charged with what?

What AC is getting at is common in many states. The primary collsion factor in this crash would be unsafe speed. Because the safe speed when there is an overturned vehicle in the roadway is 0MPH.

However we are talking about two seperate collisions.

Collision #1 was likely DUI as the PCF.
Collision # was unsafe speed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

! I am with you here Illegal most likely so drunk he has no clue what's happened when he woke up this morning.

nurse being a good Samaritan but not trained in crash scene and most likely scared and maybe even in shock made some mistakes but doing what she could!

SUV driver most likely having some road rage since he did not slow down below 70 on a STATE ROUTE I can see him now yelling and cussing at the bright lights then OH SHIT!

All comes back to if the ass had just stayed the hell in his own dam country she would be going to work in the morning
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

That about sums it up for me to.  Darwin was working overtime on this one.  Whole lot of STUPID going around.  Amazing.  If a car even with high beams on is pulled over on the side of the road.  How do you PLOW into it at 70MPH if you're on the road still and not swerving TO HIT the damn car?
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
If a car even with high beams on is pulled over on the side of the road.  How do you PLOW into it at 70MPH if you're on the road still and not swerving TO HIT the damn car?

It may have hit the wrecked truck first.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Sorry I don't get the big deal with going 70. Even if it was above the speed limit have you ever heard of cruise control? Just because someone had their Hi's on doesn't mean I'm going to slow down for them. Hazards on the other hand warrant me slowing down and seeing what the problem is. How could he possibly assume it was a dead car blocking the road? The accused person needs to be brought to justice, and I hope for a speedy recovery of the injured family. Prayers for a good samaritan taken away too early
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#42]
He should be deported and fined for leaving the scene.

He shouldn't be charged with murder.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#43]
"The investigation is continuing on whether alcohol or drugs played a role."

Nah, that couldn't be it. He is just a victim in all this. Normal, rational, sober people roll their vehicles and then walk home to go to bed all the time. I hate to see fine upstanding people like this deported. He would be such an asset to our country. We have a definite shortage of people like him and I would hate to lose any more. We should be taking a collection right now to get him a new truck and lower our first world standards down to that of his third world upbringing so he will feel more at home. At the very minimum we should stop speaking our own language and adopt his, afterall, if he didn't know what we were saying that would make him uncomfortable.

The only thing I see that was clearly done wrong was done by the mexican. They won't be able to get him for DUI because they can't "put him behind the wheel".
For those of you "back East people"; driving 70 in the West is not a big deal at all. A lot of speed limits are 70 or more. Driving through the wide open country, even if it is not on some freeway at speeds well in excess of 70 are normally safe and at one time were perfectly legal. I am not familiar with the road they were on although I have been to Cedar City many times. Driving into an existing accident at night is an accident. Leaving your overturned truck in the middle of the road at night is NOT an accident. But, of course punishing him for that would be an obvious hate crime motivated strictly by rational prejudice.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Sorry I don't get the big deal with going 70.

It's called overdriving your headlights.  If you can't stop in the distance you can see, then you are driving too fast.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry I don't get the big deal with going 70.

It's called overdriving your headlights.  If you can't stop in the distance you can see, then you are driving too fast.

Yeah, just one more reason why we LIMIT your speed with speed limits.

The immigrant should not be sharged with murder, the asshole in the suburban should be.  There is no excuse not to have your vehicle under control.  Especially at night.  
Come on, the freakin' asshat had enough time to realize that there were highbeams pointed at him and flash his lights to get them to dim them.  The overturned truck had to be between the two functional vehicles from the description, meaning that it was illuminated by the nurse's lights.  Where was there not a reason to at least slow down a little bit?  And I hope to GOD that he hadn't already slowed down, as my intuition tells me is the case.

PEOPLE WHO CAN'T DRIVE SHOULD NOT COMPENSATE BY DRIVING AN SUV.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#46]
According to the story he wasn't overdriving his headlights.  He couldn't see because he was blinded by someone elses headlights. And I haven't see what the posted speed limit was on that road.  But, you are probably right. Everyone is at fault except the mexican that rolled his car and then left. He certainly should sue the other parties as well as the state of Utah for being put through this trouble. He can use the money to buy a house in an expensive neighborhood, move everyone he ever met while living in mexico into that house and run all the people that earned their money out of town. We will all be so much better for it. He could probably afford a house next door to his personal injury attorney.

Hopefully another thread can be started by drivers in GA and WI telling people in the West how to drive in the West the right way. Lesson #1 would be to always expect a mexican to leave an overturned car in your travel lane. Then lesson #2 can explain how Utah drivers don't know what they are doing but mexicans who roll their vehicle, and are charged with leaving the scene of an accident involving property damage and no insurance, both class B misdemeanors, and with failure to report an accident and not having a driver license, both class C misdemeanors do. Lesson #3: you should be prepared for any possible senario at any time. Accidents are impossible. If a tomahawk missle hits your vehicle when driving it is your fault for not avoiding it: if you were driving at the right speed for the conditions it would not have happened. Lesson #4: if you never leave the house, the chances of having a motor vehicle accident are greatly diminished. This saves you from having to plan for every possible senario when driving. Who said they wern't taking your best interest to heart ? Lesson #5: if someone dies due to your negligence, you shouldn't be charged with negligent homicide. Everyone else should be blamed BUT you.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#47]
The illegal is being charged with negligent homicide.  The SUV driver, from what I read, isn't being charged, but should be charged with reckless operation because he was obviously driving faster than conditions allowed.  Conditions being such that he could not see the road due to lights, couldn't see the blockage in the road ahead of him and did not allow himself enough time to safely stop.

I think that a very brave person was lost in this.  I'm a soldier, CLS certified and I don't know that I'd have the stones to search an overturned vehicle in a lane of traffic without someone making sure that no other traffic was coming.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sorry I don't get the big deal with going 70. Even if it was above the speed limit have you ever heard of cruise control?"so what who has this or not" Just because someone had their Hi's on doesn't mean I'm going to slow down for them."read next line carefully" Hazards on the other hand warrant me slowing down and seeing what the problem is. How could he possibly assume it was a dead car blocking the road? "You don't have too assume nothing if you can SEE IT""You CAN'T SEE IT, then why the HELL are you Hauling ASS!!!!!!! The accused person needs to be brought to justice "the suburban driver!!!!!!", and I hope for a speedy recovery of the injured family. Prayers for a good samaritan taken away too early

I'm sorry BUUUUUUUT!!!!! This last post is absolute B.S........
...red lines what i added...

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Nah, that couldn't be it. He is just a victim in all this. Normal, rational, sober people roll their vehicles and then walk home to go to bed all the time. I hate to see fine upstanding people like this deported. He would be such an asset to our country. We have a definite shortage of people like him and I would hate to lose any more. We should be taking a collection right now to get him a new truck and lower our first world standards down to that of his third world upbringing so he will feel more at home. At the very minimum we should stop speaking our own language and adopt his, afterall, if he didn't know what we were saying that would make him uncomfortable.

The only thing I see that was clearly done wrong was done by the mexican. They won't be able to get him for DUI because they can't "put him behind the wheel".
For those of you "back East people"; driving 70 in the West is not a big deal at all. A lot of speed limits are 70 or more. Driving through the wide open country, even if it is not on some freeway at speeds well in excess of 70 are normally safe and at one time were perfectly legal. I am not familiar with the road they were on although I have been to Cedar City many times. Driving into an existing accident at night is an accident. Leaving your overturned truck in the middle of the road at night is NOT an accident. But, of course punishing him for that would be an obvious hate crime motivated strictly by rational prejudice.

+1

Speed limit on the freeway here is 75, and on the backroads 65...in Montanna, it is 75 on the backroads. Quite common for people to zip down the backroads.

4 way flashers are required on all vehicles for a damned good reason.

I don't care if you freeze your ass off. It is your responsibility to STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE AND ATTEMPT TO WARN ONCOMING TRAFFIC if your vehicle is blocking the road.

Illegal deserves every damned bit of the blame. Hopefully, he rots in prison for at least 20 years, THEN gets deported to his shit hole country.

BTW, if you blind someone with your high beams, and it can be proven it was the cause of a crash...YOU are at fault. That is why you don't flash your highbeams at people, you could cause them to go off the road.

Fucked up, but NO, I don't believe the SUV driver was at fault.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Speed limit on the freeway here is 75, and on the backroads 65...in Montanna, it is 75 on the backroads. Quite common for people to zip down the backroads.

4 way flashers are required on all vehicles for a damned good reason.

I don't care if you freeze your ass off. It is your responsibility to STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE AND ATTEMPT TO WARN ONCOMING TRAFFIC if your vehicle is blocking the road.

Illegal deserves every damned bit of the blame. Hopefully, he rots in prison for at least 20 years, THEN gets deported to his shit hole country.

BTW, if you blind someone with your high beams, and it can be proven it was the cause of a crash...YOU are at fault. That is why you don't flash your highbeams at people, you could cause them to go off the road.

Fucked up, but NO, I don't believe the SUV driver was at fault.  

I hang it all right on the SUV.  The other shit was illuminated, and not moving.  If you can't avoid stationary crap in the road -- You're driving too fast for conditions.  

That from a guy who thinks nothing of driving 75 at night in moose & falling rock territory.
(Here's a hint:  Nail the brakes, and THEN figure it out.)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top