Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
While it is common sense to not turn on brights when traffic is oncoming, I can see how the nurse could have easily done so.

You are on your way to work at 5:30 a.m., nobody else on the road.  It's dark, so you have your brights on, unless you see an oncoming car, so the brights stay on.  Ahead in the distance, you see an overturned truck in the middle of the road (thanks to your brights being on)!  You safely stop before the overturned truck, and pull over to see if anyone is in need of assistance.  You get out of your car to look for people who might be dying......oh shit, did I leave my brights on (pffft!)?

SUV driver should have been able to avoid the wreck if he had been alert.

Illegal should be deported to Atlantis.

Nurse was trying to save lives, no good deed goes unpunished.

Very tragic combination of circumstances.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Charged with what?
1) An unknown vehicle was blocking the road
2) he was blinded by the high beams of the nurses vehicle

What are you going to charge him with? Driving legally?

Reckless driving at the very least.  Vehicular manslaughter too, IMO.  He was going at least 70mph at night and didn't slow down when he couldn't see the road -- or maybe he did slow down and was going 100 before that.  He's just as responsible as the illegal alien, IMO.  What if someone had stopped their vehicle to try to clear a fallen tree from the road?  He still would have killed them too.  If he hadn't been going way above the speed limit, he would have been able to stop in time, or at least been going 20 instead of 70 when he hit.

Interstate Speed limit here is 70, at all times.

There are generally 2 basic speed laws in most states

1 is them silly signs

The other is you must be going slowly enough to safely operate your vehicle, connsidering the weather, visibility, road, and traffic conditions.

If you hit 2 cars and kill someone, you were going faster than you could safely go.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#3]
There were 3 people involved in this chain of events, and all 3 of them fucked up.
Believe it or not, people get in one-car accidents all the time and the leave the scene to go get help (or in this case probably sleep off the tequila).
Anyone stopping to check on an accident needs to be extremely careful, especially if its blocking the road. Roll-overs are especially dangerous since the vehicle can shift or roll some more, spilled fuel, glass etc.
It was very noble of her to want to help any victims, but untrained Good Samaritans at the scene trying to render assistance sometimes create more problems then they solve.
The SUV driver was going too fast because he unable to avoid a roadway obstruction.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
"The investigation is continuing on whether alcohol or drugs played a role."

Nah, that couldn't be it. He is just a victim in all this. Normal, rational, sober people roll their vehicles and then walk home to go to bed all the time. I hate to see fine upstanding people like this deported. He would be such an asset to our country. We have a definite shortage of people like him and I would hate to lose any more. We should be taking a collection right now to get him a new truck and lower our first world standards down to that of his third world upbringing so he will feel more at home. At the very minimum we should stop speaking our own language and adopt his, afterall, if he didn't know what we were saying that would make him uncomfortable.

The only thing I see that was clearly done wrong was done by the mexican. They won't be able to get him for DUI because they can't "put him behind the wheel".
For those of you "back East people"; driving 70 in the West is not a big deal at all. A lot of speed limits are 70 or more. Driving through the wide open country, even if it is not on some freeway at speeds well in excess of 70 are normally safe and at one time were perfectly legal. I am not familiar with the road they were on although I have been to Cedar City many times. Driving into an existing accident at night is an accident. Leaving your overturned truck in the middle of the road at night is NOT an accident. But, of course punishing him for that would be an obvious hate crime motivated strictly by rational prejudice.

+1

Speed limit on the freeway here is 75, and on the backroads 65...in Montanna, it is 75 on the backroads. Quite common for people to zip down the backroads.

4 way flashers are required on all vehicles for a damned good reason.

I don't care if you freeze your ass off. It is your responsibility to STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE AND ATTEMPT TO WARN ONCOMING TRAFFIC if your vehicle is blocking the road.

Illegal deserves every damned bit of the blame. Hopefully, he rots in prison for at least 20 years, THEN gets deported to his shit hole country.

BTW, if you blind someone with your high beams, and it can be proven it was the cause of a crash...YOU are at fault. That is why you don't flash your highbeams at people, you could cause them to go off the road.

Fucked up, but NO, I don't believe the SUV driver was at fault.  

I hang it all right on the SUV.  The other shit was illuminated, and not moving.  If you can't avoid stationary crap in the road -- You're driving too fast for conditions.  

That from a guy who thinks nothing of driving 75 at night in moose & falling rock territory.
(Here's a hint:  Nail the brakes, and THEN figure it out.)

Glad to see that some people have sense around here.

I still think that charging the immigrant (was he Mexican?) while allowing the SUV guy to go free is 100% Grade A Bullshit.  Hating the Mexican because he was a stupid asshole (who broke at least one law if he came here illegally) is one thing, but hating him because of his nationality is another thing entirely

I can haul ass at night where I live, all while dodging poorly lit Amish buggies, tractors, combines, poorly lit Amish children, cows, horses, etc. (yes I live in the country)
It's one thing to drive 70 on a straight peice of road, but come come on over and I'll show   you where not to drive 70.

If the SUV guy was travelling safely at 70 in the wide open country, he has even less of an excuse for what he did.  Wasn't the nuse using her headlights to illuminate the accident?  The only way not to see the overturned truck was that it was behind the nurses headlights or Mr. SUV was driving too fast around a blind corner.  I have been in similar situations before(no, not involving drunk Mexicans and abandoned trucks and nurses), and didn't just ignorantly keep my foot on the gas and steer into the headlights.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]
was the rolled truck in the road or off to the side?  its not clear
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The guy charged SHOULD have called the popo and reported his wreck. As far as leaving the scene, I always thought that was so one doesn't remove the vehicle from the scene before evidence can be collected to assign blame.

If it was below zero and the middle of the night, would you have stayed with your overturned vehicle until someone happened along? It's not like you could sit inside and run the heater.

Strikes me the guy in the SUV who failed to slow down to a safe speed is basicly at fault here. YMMV.

That is my take as well.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top