Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2006 7:59:37 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a semi auto in 308,why because I only have one rifle in that caliber [a Rem700]. And I have been looking at the main ones and I can't make up my mind. I know I should man up and get one of each......but I can't.

So help me pick one

poll coming
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok my avatar is supposed to be the Bill of Rights.......but it went to hell in the resizing. And I looked at a PTR-91 w/ a retractable stock and a SOCOM M1A today. Anybody have problems with the Socom 16 M1A? I seem to remember reading that someone here got a crappy one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#2]
FAL.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of range do you want out of it? SOCOMs seem to be popular with 3 gun competitions and urban area ranges. If you want more accurate range the Scout Squad model would be a better choice.

Then again I'd go with a FAL... DSA SA58 Tactical Carbine.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
FAL is my vote too.  I've always wondered what your avatar is.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok my avatar is supposed to be the Bill of Rights.......but it went to hell in the resizing. And I looked at a PTR-91 w/ a retractable stock and a SOCOM M1A today. Anybody have problems with the Socom 16 M1A? I seem to remember reading that someone here got a crappy one.

I always thought it was a picture of a taco in front of some breasts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Easy, FAL.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
M1A, becuase there will be a Beta C mag comning for it soon.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ok my avatar is supposed to be the Bill of Rights.......but it went to hell in the resizing

I always thought it was some kind of nacho.

argh, beaten by Andy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
i voted M1A for the history and beauty of the gun.  

and your avatar lookd like a grilled cheese sammich
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well Kacer was the one who made it up for me.....so.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What kind of range do you want out of it? SOCOMs seem to be popular with 3 gun competitions and urban area ranges. If you want more accurate range the Scout Squad model would be a better choice.

Then again I'd go with a FAL... DSA SA58 Tactical Carbine.

Probably 300yds max.... beyond that and I need a beltfed to hit anything.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]
FAL would be my choice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Just get them all.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#14]
have patience and wait for the SCAR

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#15]
If you don't have an M1 Garand yet, get that first.

that said FN FAL  

then buy the SCAR H later, if it works.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#16]
SOCOM 16
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#17]
How about wait a few months for RRA's "AR-10s"?

1 MOA accuracy
Takes FAL mags
Integrated rail
Lightweight
$1100

Sounds like a winner to me
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]
6.8 SPC.  90% of a 7.62, but lighter, cheaper and a shitload cooler.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the FAL

But the semi in .308 with a detatchable 20 round mag is an excellent configuration in principle.  A lot of firepower.  And all the available choices, with the exception of rigs made by Hesse are good to have.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

that said FN FAL  

I gotta go with that too bro. When CMP runs out of Garands the price is gonna go up quick.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#21]
either the fal or full size m1a
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#22]
If you have the money, I'd say an M1A is in order.  Something like a national match.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The gun might be cheaper but the ammo shure ain't!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#24]
AR10 or FAL will be a lot easier on the firing shoulder.

FAL is more reliable and extensively battle tested by more goons than any other .308 except HK91, but that stamped metal HK is brutal to the shoulder...ouch
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#25]
M1A or FAL.  Either one works, it's just a matter of what you like better.  I have a Springfield M1A Scout with an Aimpoint M3 and I couldn't be happier, but a FAL is near the top of my list of guns to get when I leave CA.  That said, lots of people are complaining about Springfields being unreliable.  Mine has 1000 rounds through it without a malfunction so far.  Hold both, shoot both if you can, and decide which feels better to you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wait.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Though the poll clearly states "FN"FAL as a choice, I see mentions of FAL in the responses.  

Ain't the same gun.  A real FNFAL is a good weapon but is gonna cost you.

5sub
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

What history?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

1 MOA accuracy
Takes FAL mags
Integrated rail
Lightweight
$1100

RRA will not be making an AR10.

"take FAL mags".  Good grief.  No one has been able to make that work.  Why not wait to see if RRA solves the problem.

Your post sounds like no one has ever made a .308 AR before or that no one has made one that will to 1 MOA.  As for $1100, I doubt that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What history?

Dude!  DUH, it looks old, don't you know anything?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What history?

Dude!  DUH, it looks old, don't you know anything?

I forgot about that.  I guess I took as an M1A by one of the aftermarket vendors had some kind of history.  Silly me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#32]
I own 2 M1A's and am very fond of the platform. Having said that, I would recommend an FAL for now. BUT, the SCAR IMHO is going to be the HOT TICKET if it becomes available. I'm definitely down for a SCAR (L).
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Though the poll clearly states "FN"FAL as a choice, I see mentions of FAL in the responses.  

Ain't the same gun.  A real FNFAL is a good weapon but is gonna cost you.

5sub

True.....I was just being lazy then I typed FN FAL
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that said FN FAL  

I gotta go with that too bro. When CMP runs out of Garands the price is gonna go up quick.

I had forgotten about the Garand....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#35]
I love FALs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Well it looks like it's down to the DSA SA58 and the Springfield M1A, and as luck would have it I have a friend who has both. So I guess I'll see if I can get him to let me try both and see which one I like better.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#37]

FAL, and stock up on SA ammo now before it dries up like the 5.56 has.  I picked up a kit build yesterday and a case of SA today.  I've been wavering between an SKS/AK and the FAL/M1A.  I went with the FAL because of it's durability, availability and punch of 7.62 NATO surplus ammo compared to the 7.62x39 as well as cost compared to a good M1A. Now, time for a bolt action Rem. Titanium in .308 to accompany it!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wait.

Is there somethign I dont know? I like the idea of the 6.8, I just cant afford the ammo.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#39]
I voted for the HK 91 type.

But a FAL is a great rifle too.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#40]
FAL - it is a requirement.  Just don't get it in pink or rainbow colors
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

that said FN FAL  

then buy the SCAR H later, if it works.

Yep.  Better yet, get two.  Get a SG SA and get a RG SA.  Get the racker's barrel replaced with a 308.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 MOA accuracy
Takes FAL mags
Integrated rail
Lightweight
$1100

Really?

Notice the quotation marks?  Call it what you want, it's a 308 rifle on an AR platform.

"take FAL mags".  Good grief.  No one has been able to make that work.  Why not wait to see if RRA solves the problem.

According to RRA, they are using a different design than Bushmaster and shouldn't have the problem with the lugs/bolt breaking.  I'll wait and see on this.

Your post sounds like no one has ever made a .308 AR before or that no one has made one that will to 1 MOA.

And how so???  Maybe if you have bad reading comprehension.  Each point was made to differentiate it from the other rifles.  

1 MOA accuracy - unlike most FALs
Takes FAL mags - Unlike DSA, Armalite, or Robinson AR-10s
Integrated rail - Unlike FALs or M14 clones
Lightweight - Unlike FALs or M14 clones
$1100 - Unlike the ridiculously priced Bushys and most of the above outside the DSA "AR-10s" and cheapo FALs

As for $1100, I doubt that.

How about a simple google search before shootin your mouth off?  Cripes..

"LAR-10 Standard A4 Rifle
Anticipated availability late summer 2006. $1,100.00"

And that's the MSRP

ETA:  I meant DPMS when I said DSA above
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 MOA accuracy
Takes FAL mags
Integrated rail
Lightweight
$1100

Really?
www.rockriverarms.com/images/r308std.gif

Notice the quotation marks?  Call it what you want, it's a 308 rifle on an AR platform. Yes, they are, but it is NOT an AR10.

According to RRA, they are using a different design than Bushmaster and shouldn't have the problem with the lugs/bolt breaking.  I'll wait and see on this.  That's what I said. As for them perfecting the use of FAL mags, it seems that at least three other manufacturers have said the same thing.

Your post sounds like no one has ever made a .308 AR before or that no one has made one that will to 1 MOA.

And how so???  Maybe if you have bad reading comprehension.  Each point was made to differentiate it from the other rifles.   My reading comprehension is fine, your post still sounds like what I said.

1 MOA accuracy - unlike most FALs But other .308 ARs already exist so this is not news.
Takes FAL mags - Unlike DSA, Armalite, or Robinson AR-10s That's not necessarily a good thing. Neither DSA nor Robinson have made an AR10
Integrated rail - Unlike FALs or M14 clones Again, other .308 ARs have already done this. Again, not news.
Lightweight - Unlike FALs or M14 clones Other .308s have already accomplished this.
$1100 - Unlike the ridiculously priced Bushys and most of the above outside the DSA "AR-10s" and cheapo FALs Again, neither DSA or Bushy have made an AR10.

You make the above points as if the other .308 ARs do not exist, as if it is some groundbreaking revelation.

And that's the MSRP And I doubt that it will come on the market at that price.  How about reading what I say before shooting off your mouth.  I did not say that it is not listed as such, I said I doubt that it will become reality.  Note the very IMPORTANT WORD "ANTICIPATED" in your post..

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 MOA accuracy
Takes FAL mags
Integrated rail
Lightweight
$1100

Really?
www.rockriverarms.com/images/r308std.gif

Notice the quotation marks?  Call it what you want, it's a 308 rifle on an AR platform. Yes, they are, but it is NOT an AR10.

According to RRA, they are using a different design than Bushmaster and shouldn't have the problem with the lugs/bolt breaking.  I'll wait and see on this.  That's what I said. As for them perfecting the use of FAL mags, it seems that at least three other manufacturers have said the same thing.

And how so???  Maybe if you have bad reading comprehension.  Each point was made to differentiate it from the other rifles.   My reading comprehension is fine, your post still sounds like what I said.

1 MOA accuracy - unlike most FALs But other .308 ARs already exist so this is not news.
Takes FAL mags - Unlike DSA, Armalite, or Robinson AR-10s That's not necessarily a good thing. Neither DSA nor Robinson have made an AR10
Integrated rail - Unlike FALs or M14 clones Again, other .308 ARs have already done this. Again, not news.
Lightweight - Unlike FALs or M14 clones Other .308s have already accomplished this.
$1100 - Unlike the ridiculously priced Bushys and most of the above outside the DSA "AR-10s" and cheapo FALs Again, neither DSA or Bushy have made an AR10.

You make the above points as if the other .308 ARs do not exist, as if it is some groundbreaking revelation.

And that's the MSRP And I doubt that it will come on the market at that price.  How about reading what I say before shooting off your mouth.  I did not say that it is not listed as such, I said I doubt that it will become reality.  Note the very IMPORTANT WORD "ANTICIPATED" in your post..

You're a real genius Larry.  Again, notice the quotation marks?  We know the true blue AR-10s are Armalites, get off your high horse.

And where did I say this was was the first 308 that shot 1 MOA??    Or that it is the first with an integrated rail?  If you make a list of features, that automatically means each one is exclusive and "a groundbreaking revelation"?    That's just your twisted reading comprehension.

And again, how about reading the RRA page.  I even linked it for you for crying out loud.  "ANTICIPATED" refers to the availability date, NOT the price.  What else are you going to go by?  I guess we shouldn't be going by mfr's MSRP, but rather Larry's POA(pulled out of ass) sale price??
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I was wondering about the avatar myself.  

To me, it vaguely resembles a slice of PIE, which would be somewhat ironic...

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Of the real things (preban) get a HK91 over a FAL.

Of the clones get a DSA FAL over ANY HK clone.

If you get a Springfield M1A get a old one, new ones have lots of problems in the last several years. LRB maked a nice one for the price of a preban HK or FN FAL.

AR-10s are nice but research the various magazine issues first.

In my experience, and feedback from customers, the absolute best bang for the buck is a DSA FAL.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#47]
M1A - roughly the same length/weight as a FAL, but it has a longer sight radius and better sights to boot.

BTW, your avatar looks like some naked guy with a white towel shoving a poppy-seed covered pop tart in your face.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
If you have the money, I'd say an M1A is in order.  Something like a national match.

www.springfield-armory.com/images/rifles/NationalMatch.jpg

DITTO...and I thought your avatar was a nacho plate with a taco supreme.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, I always did think it was a taco of some sort.

Go with the FAL or the M1A.  I like the FAL because it's very simple and ergonomic, plus mags are so, so cheap.  The M1A is totally classy, and it's very accurate and comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, I always did think it was a taco of some sort.

Looked like a SPAM can to me
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top