Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/24/2006 12:11:11 PM EDT
Mississippi Ice Hero Sheriff In Hot Water

Updated: March 24th, 2006 03:41 PM EDT

HOLBROOK MOHR
Associated Press Writer

Randy Walker swears he would have died from his diabetes after Hurricane Katrina had a sheriff not seized two FEMA trucks filled with ice and distributed it to residents, many of whom had to keep their insulin cold.

Now, that sheriff could be prosecuted on charges of interfering with a federal operation.

Forrest County Sheriff Billy McGee commandeered two 18-wheelers full of ice from Camp Shelby, a Federal Emergency Management Agency staging area, after five days passed with little relief for residents living without electricity in the wake of the deadly storm.

"Man, I was wanting to hug Brother Billy when I saw that ice. We were glad somebody was there to help us,"
Walker, who would not give his age, said Wednesday.

McGee had worked out a deal to plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge of interfering, intimidating and impeding a federal officer, but U.S. Attorney Dunn Lampton withdrew from the case without explanation and the Justice Department sent it to federal prosecutors in Louisiana.

U.S. Attorney David R. Dugas in Baton Rogue, La., said he has not decided whether to prosecute McGee.

McGee and his attorney declined a request for an interview.

The ice trucks had been sitting idle at Camp Shelby, a National Guard base just south of Hattiesburg, before the sheriff ordered them sent to the towns of Petal and Brooklyn on Sept. 4. McGee has said his deputies detained a National Guard soldier who tried to interfere.

Residents of Forrest County have circulated a petition in support of McGee, who has been in office since 1991, and some have collected money for his defense.

"If it hadn't been for him, I'd be dead right now and I know that," Walker said. "I'll go to court for him or whatever it takes. I don't want to let him down as much as he has done for me."

Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., a critic of the federal government's response to Katrina, has urged the Justice Department not to pursue the case.

The congressman said he is "convinced that there's not a jury in the state of Mississippi that would convict the sheriff for doing what he did under the circumstances."Which is why the feds will move to case someplace far awayfrom the Sheriffs supporters.

Even though Forrest County is some 60 miles inland, the hurricane downed trees and destroyed roofs, and the power was out for weeks in much of the area.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like he was doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
FEMA wound up throwing away tons of ice and water during this event.

The waste by them was horrendous .
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#3]
And there's the problem:

McGee has said his deputies detained a National Guard soldier who tried to interfere.

I'm torn on this one. I can see both sides of the issue. I really don't think they could get a conviction but at the same time what the Sheriff did was wrong.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#4]
There's 11,000 Trailer Homes sitting at Hope Municipal Airport at an Estimated cost of
$350-800 Million with a cost of $25,000 a month to store them
Who's getting prosecuted for that waste of Money ????
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
And there's the problem:

McGee has said his deputies detained a National Guard soldier who tried to interfere.

I'm torn on this one. I can see both sides of the issue. I really don't think they could get a conviction but at the same time what the Sheriff did was wrong.

Were the ice trucks located in his juristiction?  In most places the county sheriff is also the local senior Emergency response official. I'm sure FEMA will argue he has no authority over federal assest but in many counties the sheriff is given authority over all EMS assests during times of disaster.

Not hard to guess who the founding fathers would support in this case.  the local elected head LE officer of the county Vs military troops acting under a federal bureucrats control.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There's 11,000 Trailer Homes sitting at Hope Municipal Airport at an Estimated cost of

There's no place to put them in NO. The locals do not want trailer parks set up in their neighborhoods.

And I don't blame them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#7]
No jury in Ms or La will ever convict him
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not hard to guess who the founding fathers would support in this case.  the local elected head LE officer of the county Vs military troops acting under a federal bureucrats control.

That right there is what has me siding with the Sherrif, legal or not.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And there's the problem:

Were the ice trucks located in his juristiction?  In most places the county sheriff is also the local senior Emergency response official. I'm sure FEMA will argue he has no authority over federal assest but in many counties the sheriff is given authority over all EMS assests during times of disaster.

Don't know about your area but here I've heard many a Sheriff make the following statement.

There's God, then there's me the Sheriff, and God's not here.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I don't know if there are 11,000, but I've heard numerous accounts of this in the media. If anyone in Arkansas could get a pic of this, I'd like to see it. I would not be surprised. The only thing the Federal Government excels at is prosecuting a war, if not occupation, against small countries and wasting money at a rate that is truly phenominal.  

ETA

Quoted:
No jury in Ms or La will ever convict him

Wouldn't you love to be the forman of that jury?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#11]
The one good guy doing somthing to help people after a disaster and these SOB's are going after him for helping.  This is stupid they should drop this case.

Quoted:
Mississippi Ice Hero Sheriff In Hot Water

Updated: March 24th, 2006 03:41 PM EDT

HOLBROOK MOHR
Associated Press Writer

Randy Walker swears he would have died from his diabetes after Hurricane Katrina had a sheriff not seized two FEMA trucks filled with ice and distributed it to residents, many of whom had to keep their insulin cold.

Now, that sheriff could be prosecuted on charges of interfering with a federal operation.

Forrest County Sheriff Billy McGee commandeered two 18-wheelers full of ice from Camp Shelby, a Federal Emergency Management Agency staging area, after five days passed with little relief for residents living without electricity in the wake of the deadly storm.

"Man, I was wanting to hug Brother Billy when I saw that ice. We were glad somebody was there to help us,"
Walker, who would not give his age, said Wednesday.

McGee had worked out a deal to plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge of interfering, intimidating and impeding a federal officer, but U.S. Attorney Dunn Lampton withdrew from the case without explanation and the Justice Department sent it to federal prosecutors in Louisiana.

U.S. Attorney David R. Dugas in Baton Rogue, La., said he has not decided whether to prosecute McGee.

McGee and his attorney declined a request for an interview.

The ice trucks had been sitting idle at Camp Shelby, a National Guard base just south of Hattiesburg, before the sheriff ordered them sent to the towns of Petal and Brooklyn on Sept. 4. McGee has said his deputies detained a National Guard soldier who tried to interfere.

Residents of Forrest County have circulated a petition in support of McGee, who has been in office since 1991, and some have collected money for his defense.

"If it hadn't been for him, I'd be dead right now and I know that," Walker said. "I'll go to court for him or whatever it takes. I don't want to let him down as much as he has done for me."

Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., a critic of the federal government's response to Katrina, has urged the Justice Department not to pursue the case.

The congressman said he is "convinced that there's not a jury in the state of Mississippi that would convict the sheriff for doing what he did under the circumstances."Which is why the feds will move to case someplace far awayfrom the Sheriffs supporters.

Even though Forrest County is some 60 miles inland, the hurricane downed trees and destroyed roofs, and the power was out for weeks in much of the area.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
And there's the problem:

I'm with the sheriff on this.

He's elected, he's accountable to the people and he did the right thing.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
And there's the problem:

After all, an attack on the King's men is an attack upon the King himself.

Good on the sheriff.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Sig line...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I come down on the side of the Sheriff.  He did what he needed to do.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Unfortunately, common sense is not so common anymore. That sheriff did the right thing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#19]
All charges against the sheriff should be dropped immediately.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Let me tell you a story about a local Sheriff during the Katrina deal.

As some of you know I went to NO to work security. One of the things we did was guard power company fixed assests and field assests. In one area the power company had a staging area full of supplies and a helicopter. The Sheriff was out of money. So he drove a bulldozer near the staging area and gave the power company 24hrs to pay him $25,000 (to pay his deputies) or he was going to bulldoze the helicopter and supplies. He said it was rent for the power company using county owned land as a staging area. We had to send in 5 guys with AR's and full body armor to protect the helicopter.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I was at the Camp Shelby FEMA camp. The waste there was monumental! They had a goddamn air conditioned circus tent sitting there vacant and I was told the cost was $250,000 a month...for a vacant tent!

As far as ice goes, you could stop at the gate on the way out and get as much ice as you wanted. You could also get CASES of gatorade, botled water, and boxes full of sack lunches. No attempt was ever made to ascertain who you were or why they should give you all the stuff.

Hell, that FEMA camp even had laundry service. You just dropped off your dirty clothes and picked it up the next day. Free of course. 3 free meals a day. Hot Showers. Satalite big screen TV...internet access...sure we have it, come on down!

The County Sherriff is the ONLY legally elected law enforcement official in this nation. That said, taking federal property from a federal military installation while detaining federal military personnel may be a stretch.

I'll be curious to hear how he fares.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know if there are 11,000, but I've heard numerous accounts of this in the media. If anyone in Arkansas could get a pic of this, I'd like to see it.

Well, here is a link to a page that has an impressive Aerial shot of the trailers at Hope Muni in Arkansas.

www.avweb.com/newswire/12_07a/onthefly/191578-1.html

Futuristic
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Let me tell you a story about a local Sheriff during the Katrina deal.

As some of you know I went to NO to work security. One of the things we did was guard power company fixed assests and field assests. In one area the power company had a staging area full of supplies and a helicopter. The Sheriff was out of money. So he drove a bulldozer near the staging area and gave the power company 24hrs to pay him $25,000 (to pay his deputies) or he was going to bulldoze the helicopter and supplies. He said it was rent for the power company using county owned land as a staging area. We had to send in 5 guys with AR's and full body armor to protect the helicopter.

It is simple, the man went nuts under the pressure.

If he tried to bulldoze  a heilo, you shoot him, he is  a mad dog. End of story.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was at the Camp Shelby FEMA camp. The waste there was monumental! They had a goddamn air conditioned circus tent sitting there vacant and I was told the cost was $250,000 a month...for a vacant tent!

As far as ice goes, you could stop at the gate on the way out and get as much ice as you wanted. You could also get CASES of gatorade, botled water, and boxes full of sack lunches. No attempt was ever made to ascertain who you were or why they should give you all the stuff.

Hell, that FEMA camp even had laundry service. You just dropped off your dirty clothes and picked it up the next day. Free of course. 3 free meals a day. Hot Showers. Satalite big screen TV...internet access...sure we have it, come on down!

The County Sherriff is the ONLY legally elected law enforcement official in this nation. That said, taking federal property from a federal military installation while detaining federal military personnel may be a stretch.

Chris isn't kidding.  The layout at that camp was nicer than my house.  Pity the job turned out to be shit (no reflection on the arfcommers who shared the info in good faith.)

I have no idea why they wouldn't have given it to him if he asked for it. People had so much FEMA water and other supplies in camp it was stacked outside our tents, and there was still a mountain at the front gate.  I had to give some away when we moved camps because it wouldn't fit in my car.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That right there is what has me siding with the Sherrif, legal or not.

+1.  The founding fathers would have been practical enough to simply be glad that the ice got to who needed it.  This "respect my authority" crap is only important to idiot bureaucrats.  Yeah, technically your not suppossed to detain Guardsmen, but in this case it was done to save lives.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris isn't kidding.  The layout at that camp was nicer than my house.  Pity the job turned out to be shit (no reflection on the arfcommers who shared the info in good faith.)

I have no idea why they wouldn't have given it to him if he asked for it. People had so much FEMA water and other supplies in camp it was stacked outside our tents, and there was still a mountain at the front gate.  I had to give some away when we moved camps because it wouldn't fit in my car.

Where was Camp Shelby?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I think the arguement goes like this, he took relief supplies that were meant to be distrubuted, and distributed them. As the County Sheriff he probably had better knowledge of the local shelters and situation than the federal authorities.

A lot of this relief stuff is a mess. Apparently there were some that were busy moving supplies, and assets, but not filling out paperwork. They are now getting looked at, they have to account for all the $$$ spent and the cost of relief goods and services.

It seems those that were at least trying to get help to those that needed it, are now getting spanked because of "paperwork"

Meanwhile others who didn't distribute anything have spotless paperwork....................
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#29]
The paperwork is a federal thing.  You can be a total f'up and do nothing but waste money, but if you have the paperwork filled out, your in the green.  If you are a total asset to your department and go above and beyond the all of duty, instead of spending countless hours trying to figure out which form to fill out, you get crapped.  Just another symptom of a poorly ran outfit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow, that is incredibly moronic. The Feds can go fuck themselves on this. The man did what was morally right, maybe not necessarily legal. I believe any possible jury has a duty to not convict him.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Taking ice for those with medical needs, I am with you the question is to what extent did the deputies go to detain the national gaurdsmen is the real question. Some where under MS state law there has to be an emergency type powers act giving the man the power to take or liberate resources from his fellow man, of course with limitations set up by the state.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I don't know if there are 11,000, but I've heard numerous accounts of this in the media. If anyone in Arkansas could get a pic of this, I'd like to see it.

I'd like to know where they managed to scrape up these 11K trailers that are rumored to now be sitting around. How long does it take to make 11K trailers? Anyone noticed a shortage of trailers whereever you go to buy one?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where was Camp Shelby?

Just outside Hattiesburg.  The camp we were at was Baron Point, which was inside the Camp Shelby training grounds.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I think the arguement goes like this, he took relief supplies that were meant to be distrubuted, and distributed them. As the County Sheriff he probably had better knowledge of the local shelters and situation than the federal authorities.

A lot of this relief stuff is a mess. Apparently there were some that were busy moving supplies, and assets, but not filling out paperwork. They are now getting looked at, they have to account for all the $$$ spent and the cost of relief goods and services.

It seems those that were at least trying to get help to those that needed it, are now getting spanked because of "paperwork"

Meanwhile others who didn't distribute anything have spotless paperwork....................

Thank God another LEO gets it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, here is a link to a page that has an impressive Aerial shot of the trailers at Hope Muni in Arkansas.

www.avweb.com/newswire/12_07a/onthefly/191578-1.html

Futuristic

I've see entire trains running south with those,you know they're FEMA trailers by the lack of big windows typical of travel-trailers.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where was Camp Shelby?

Just outside Hattiesburg.  The camp we were at was Baron Point, which was inside the Camp Shelby training grounds.

Went there when I was in the KYArNG,folks(read higher rank)tend to not want to be around you when you've not had a shower in two weeks. Back on topic,good for the sheriff.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And there's the problem:

I'm with the sheriff on this.

He's elected, he's accountable to the people and he did the right thing.

Hes lucky that he wasnt shot by the other members of that soldiers squad. I would not have allowed one of my men to be taken into coustody by some local PD, during a Fed operation.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:02:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's no place to put them in NO. The locals do not want trailer parks set up in their neighborhoods.

And I don't blame them.

That's not the Issue
They wanna prosecute McGee for distributing some ICE !   During a Disaster !

While some Scumbag form the Fed Gov okays the Purchase of a Couple Hundred Million Dollars worth of Trailers and they're just sitting there

Why prosecute the guy ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:14:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

+ 1,000,000
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Jury Nullification Learn it! Live it!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Strangely, the word CHICKENSHIT" come to mind ......
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#45]
He went too far whe he detained the soldier, he had no authority to do that.  I agree with prosecution.
What about the people the ice was suppost to go to what about them?  You can try to justify it any way you want.  Needs a change in venue also.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Fuck .gov
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
All charges against the sheriff should be dropped immediately.

there aren't any to drop - yet.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#49]
So what would you guys think if it escalted to cuff and stuff or guns drawn maybe shots fired? All over ice.

Local LEO's vs Military in disaster.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top