Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2006 5:35:53 PM EDT
I tried it once....Not for me.  I think it's a over-rated yuppy meal.

I like my fish cooked!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Only at the Y

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I just don't have the taste for it I guess.. most people that talk about it either love it or hate it.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I had grilled tuna today, and it was awesome.  Medium heat.

Still very pink in the middle.

I will eat raw oysters too.  

But those are as close as I get to sushi.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
What was the commercial with Terry Bradshaw..."You forgot to cook this."

I have tried it a couple times and don't like it at all.  The taste for one, but the texture of uncooked meat just does not feel right for me.  I can't even eat good steak medium, needs to be medium well for me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
you are fuckng crazy... or you had shit Sushi.  And seeing that you are in Arkansas, I'm guessing it's both  

I eat Sushi once every two weeks... the cost is the only thing that keeps me from chowing on that raw tuna and Salmon every single day.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Delicious.  Well, at least some of them are.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes indeedy...

It's good, but make sure it's prepared properly off a well selected piece of fish.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Hell yes!

I love sushi. My favorite is when the wrap it in seaweed and rice with the spicy mustard sauce..mmmmm......good.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Once.

Got a speeding ticket on the way home. Related, maybe, maybe not, but I ain't taking any chances.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Over rated?  No Way.   Eat it 2-3 times a week.  Love it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Sushi is the one type of food that I can truthfully say I could eat every day fror the rest of my life.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#12]
It does depend on how you're introduced to it.

Me, I hate fish. HATE. I just don't like fish at all. The only way I can eat fish is a can of tuna with a bunch of mayo and a lot of creamy italian salad dressing on it.

..Except for sushi.

One night, drunk as a skunk, I went with a bud to a sushi joint, and he got me some spicy tuna rolls. The spicy part was what prompted me to say "ok..I'll try it".

Now..I love sushi. I've eaten a lot of the menu. Anago, Unagi, Toro,  etc...all sorts of tasty treats. And yes, it is very tasty. It doesn't taste like the 5 day old shite they serve at the supermarkets; it's got a whole different texture, smell, taste. I'm still iffy on shellfish unless it's done to my liking...but sashimi/sushi? Yum.

Of course, it needs to be fresh. When I was living in NYC/NJ, that wasn't a problem. Now that I'm land-locked...it's a problem

Some tips:

The wasabi is one of the secret ingredients. The proper way to eat/dip sushi in the soy sauce is to put a bit of the wasabi INTO the soy sauce dish, and mix it all together until it's totally integrated. It's a good spicy, and it'll definitily add some punch to the sushi/sashimi.

I never thought I'd like sushi..but all it took was one rum-fueled evening to dispel that myth.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#13]
all the time. my favorite is Uni or sea urchin.Love that oily taste.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I only eat one thing raw...

Mrs. capnrob is sleeping blissfully right now
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Heck yeah.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Sushi is the one type of food that I can truthfully say I could eat every day fror the rest of my life.

+1

Oh yeah!

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh yea. The buffet by my job makes them. All ya can eat for 10 bucks including soda. I mix wasabi and a little soy sauce to soak the ginger in it and cover the sushi with a slice of ginger or 2.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Jesus People

Eating raw fish...God Damn that's lazy! Turn on a stove!

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The wasabi is one of the secret ingredients. The proper way to eat/dip sushi in the soy sauce is to put a bit of the wasabi INTO the soy sauce dish, and mix it all together until it's totally integrated. It's a good spicy, and it'll definitily add some punch to the sushi/sashimi.

+1000    
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Love it.  I could eat maguro until I burst.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Still your best bet for intestinal worms...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
you are fuckng crazy... or you had shit Sushi.  And seeing that you are in Arkansas, I'm guessing it's both  

I eat Sushi once every two weeks... the cost is the only thing that keeps me from chowing on that raw tuna and Salmon every single day.

Last I checked AK was Alaska, and AR is Arkansas, and yes,  there is good sushi in Arkansas.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't mind the taste, but the texture is just too gummy-doughy for me to eat of my own choice. I'll go to a sushi joint and get some maguro-nigiri and kappa-maki if my friends are going, but that's about it.

Don't like anything that lives underwater.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#24]
God made fire for a reason - use it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Poll is flawed.

but I will eat Sashimi w/ my yuppie queer friends
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Some of it I eat, some I don't.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Do you eat Alaskan Moose?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Oooo sushi!

Even my redneck Gf is turning and starting to taste an enjoy some of it.

You need to make a thick mud with the wasabi and the soy sauce.  I used to put just a little of the green radish but it wasnt good enough. Now its a greenish brown mud sauce.  Yum Yum Yum!

The worst is WASABI BACKFLOW through your nostrils.  OUCH!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Absolutley
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Hells yeah!!

That is my favorite meal by far!! If I didn't spend $80-$100 every time I ate it for dinner, I'd eat it more..

You have to go to a really good place for it to be appetizing though, I used to go to a few chain places here that I thought were good, until my buddy talked me into going to his regular place. It's a hole in the wall, and I will now never go anywhere else..

Sashimi is definitely my favorite... scallops are second..

yum!!

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#32]
"I don't eat bait."

AL
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#33]

yes please
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes.  I like it best when you catch it yourself.  Also tuna steaks are great when you cut them off the fish and toss it on the grill while its still quivering.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Sushi - I'm stronger than raw fish!!!

Shit, I eat 50,000+ scoville unit hot sauce like a mad man. You think I'm gonna get squeemish over raw tuna?? Shit, my steaks are medium rare, my veggies are raw, and I've eaten Korean, Vietnamese, and CommiBloc foods that would make my midwestern classmates PUKE.

Sushi? Tastes great and puts hair on your chest!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Good stuff!  planning on multiple sushi nights while on leave!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#37]
It's very addictive.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Love it, especially Spider Rolls and Spicy Tuna Rolls.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Love sushi/sashimi.

Hate wasabi.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Sashimi is raw fish.

Sushi is sashimi and other items served on a sweetened sticky rice ball, or wrapped in a negiri (toasted seaweed), or sometimes in a wrapper of cooked egg.  Sushi actually refers to the rice preparation method.

Ideally you eat sushi with just a dip in soy sauce with a touch of wasabi.  You want to add a tingle or just a hint to the basic flavors and textures involved. You don't want to overpower anything with either the soy or wasabi.

Sushi is actually well known in the United States under other names.  I learned this in my abreviated Navy "Welcome to Japan" classes.  In New England they call it bait, and in Key west, it's know as chum.

Comes in several basic groups,  the squirm, the swim, the slither and the slime groups.  Your optimum meal should consist of several from all the groups and consumed with ice cold saki.  (At least in the really hot humid days, ice cold saki, cold weather days, warm saki)

When well prepared from very fresh sources by by guys who can tell how to avoid parasites it can be great.  I'm not sure I'ld get it at any kind of mass (relatively speaking) preparation joint.  I generally like the swim and squirm version, the slime and slither I avoid.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't like the sea food type sushi.

I like the Korean style sushi (kimbob) that uses ham or hot dog strips instead of fricking raw fish.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I've never had it, but I really would like to try it someday.

Can someone relate the taste to something else for me? What's it like?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I've never had it, but I really would like to try it someday.

Can someone relate the taste to something else for me? What's it like?

Unlike western food its light, delicate flavors.  Not overpowering unless you get a good dose of the wasabi.  Its a learned food so you have to let it grow on you then its unstoppable.

No grease and you are hungry an hour later because it will go through your system in no time flat.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I love it....all that raw protein is like eating speed! I wish I could afford to eat sushi more than I do! It's semi-pricy.

Anybody have any luck rolling their own? I tried it a couple times but didn't have very good luck. I reckon it's an aquired knack.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes on answers..one and three.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
However, I will beg to differ on the choice of drink with sashimi or spicy tuna rolls, or Sushi.....

Kirin Ichiban beer...ice fucking cold....

Or Sapporo.

Good saki...the milky kind....oooooooooo good.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#49]
My favorite Chinese Buffet has free Mogolian Barbaque and Sushi Bar. There is a reason it is my favorite. I mostly stick to the California Rolls though and stay away from the other stuff.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
My favorite Chinese Buffet has free Mogolian Barbaque and Sushi Bar. There is a reason it is my favorite. I mostly stick to the California Rolls though and stay away from the other stuff.

I love sushi but I never eat it from a Chinese buffet. Most Chinese buffets are... iffy, when it comes to the cleanliness of their operation. Thats ok as long as the food is cooked but for sushi? The Japanese run places are among the cleanest establishments I've ever seen, thats important when eating raw foods.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top