Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I was spoiled.  Growing up, next door was a Japanese lady, married to a WWII sailor.  Anyhow, her husband had been impared by a stroke and she needed help so I was always there.  She made me little Japanese treats, including sushi, sashami, miso soup, udon noodles and many other fine things.

I always had them with green tea.  WAY before green tea could even be found in the stores.

I was eating this stuff before many here were even born.  Now it is the rage but the McJapanese crap out there sucks for the most part.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't stand it. The $120 I paid for a sushi "dinner" was the worst money I've ever spent. I would have been better off dropping the $$$ on a Hi-Point.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
MMMMMM sushi good. I am addicted to the stuff, wife just turns up her nose. I found a little hole in the wall japanese place in town with a sushi bar up front. The fun part is the sushi train. They have a guy making it while you watch and you just pick a little plate out as it rolls by. It doesn't  take too much time or saki and I'm just watchin the choo-choo go round though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Fish is supposed to be deep fried.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
shoulda had an option for pie
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#7]
YES!! Everyone who knows me laughs when I say that, but I LOVE sushi!!

my favorite roll...

spicy tuna!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I can't stand it. The $120 I paid for a sushi "dinner" was the worst money I've ever spent. I would have been better off dropping the $$$ on a Hi-Point.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm...let me think about that...NO.

HH
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I tried it once....Not for me.  I think it's a over-rated yuppy meal.

I like my fish cooked!!!

I love sushi, it's one of the only way's to eat certain fish.  When I do dine on cooked fish, I like it seared and med rare in the center.  I think cooked fish is a waste of a good product (granted it's fresh).  IMO, when a piece of fish is cooked you're masking the true flavor and consistency of said piece of fish.  YMMV, but I think it's stupid to call sushi "yuppy food".  I aint no fuckin' yuppy, I just know how to cook/ eat.  

--VT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's very similar .........
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It does depend on how you're introduced to it.  
<snip>

There is much truth to this statement.  How do you all introduce your sushi virgin friends to sushi?  

I start off with the eel, sea eel, crap and shrimp because there are cooked and very tastey.

I start off with maki (rolls) and then nigiri (pieces over rice).

If this works then I move on to the "easiest" nigiri such as tuna, yellowfin, salmon,  and snapper.

If they like cavier then I also have them do some flying fish eggs or salmon eggs.  Almost always the flying fish egg is a big hit with people who like cavier.  

After that I let them follow their bliss, but I advise staying away from the natto.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Ive only tried store bought sushi in the little trays and the cheap sushi at Chinese buffets

never tried real sushi
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#14]
You all should have your man card revoked.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You all should have your man card revoked.  

Consumption of sushi is permissable when asking women out.

"So, you want to have some sushi? I know this great place."

Her eyes light up and she exclaims, "Sure!"

Pie for dessert.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup! Sure do! I've been eating that stuff years before it was "trendy". Like others here, growing up with a japanese family as neighbors, we got exposed to many different foods. Of course, there are some nutrients that my body may be lacking from time to time as I on occasion get heavy cravings for raw fish dishes. I also like fresh raw scallops that I'll take when diving. I also like raw crab and lobster. Of course, I like LOTS of wassabi, but again, remember, I grew up with these things being FOOD. I also had an older mexican lady in the neighborhood and man, the traditional mexican foods are also GREAT, these things too I grew up with being FOOD.  The way I see it, I'm an OMNIVORE, of course, there are worse things to eat, for example, you won't find me snacking on cats or dogs anytime soon.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Growing up in a small Texas town, I did not kow what sushi was.  I thought that it was cured some how and not raw.  I thought, that it was not for me.

Untill my wife, who I was only dating at the time, told me that it was totally raw fish.  I thought, hell yes!  I always ate just about any kind of meat and the more raw, the better.  I have had the usual beef, pork etc, my own hunted meats of venison, wild boar, turkey, quail, dove and some others alligator, rattlesnake, nilgai, elk, and bison.  Bring it on, I'll eat it.

My wife was shocked that a country boy would like this stuff.

My only mistake was the first time with wasabi.  I thought it was avacado/guacamole.  I grabbed a huge chuck and stuck it in my mouth before my wife could stop me.  Talk about pain in the nose!

Oh, and I did know how to use the chopsticks.  My dad was stationed in Hawaii and had asian secretaries who taught me now to use them when I was 4.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BLAH! Bro, if your eating panocha and it tastes like sushi, she needs to get aquainted with a bar of SOAP! However, since I know (no offence intended) panocha isn't on your menu,  after reading your post, I shot tea out of my nose and you damned near owe me a new keyboard.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Sushi is the one food I could eat every day if I had to.
For all the sushi haters if you tried it and didn't like it fair enough, maybe it was a bad restaurant.
For those who never tried it you need to STFU and try it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I wish I pulling seperate rations so i caould buy this stuff more often. Fucking great!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Stuff looks like BAIT to me - I don't think so...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:22:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I would eat it every day if I could afford it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#23]
LOVE sushi/sashimi

Warm saki with plum wine mixed, ask for a Rising Sun! Goes great with sushi and habachi.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What was the commercial with Terry Bradshaw..."You forgot to cook this."

I have tried it a couple times and don't like it at all.  The taste for one, but the texture of uncooked meat just does not feel right for me.  I can't even eat good steak medium, needs to be medium well for me.

You're crazy. Good steak shouldn't be cooked past medium-rare. I prefer rare myself. But medium-well ruins it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Poll is flawed.

but I will eat Sashimi w/ my yuppie queer friends

+1, Sushi isn't raw fish (it's actually stuff like rice, vegetables, etc).  My g/f loves California rolls.  Sashimi is what everyone is confusing it with.  That said, I still haven't worked up the nerve to try Sushi and definitely would never try Sashimi.  OTOH, my girlfriend did get me to like Calamari.  It's just like clam strips, nothing really weird there other than the animal it comes from (squid, IIRC).  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:54:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:08:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I love it....all that raw protein is like eating speed! I wish I could afford to eat sushi more than I do! It's semi-pricy.

Anybody have any luck rolling their own? I tried it a couple times but didn't have very good luck. I reckon it's an aquired knack.

The Mrs. Mom rolls a mean Sushi!

I stick to my ribs and other cooking for them and she will cook me anything with Asian influence.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:50:35 AM EDT
[#29]
The thought of the "California" roll that I tried once, immediately brings a half hour onset of dry heaving. Who the hell eats raw fish, wrapped in salt water weeds? That's like eating fish poop! YUCK!

Where I'm from, we cook our food with FIRE. That way when you eat the food, it's dead and doesn't have a chance to eat you back!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:31:59 AM EDT
[#31]
You guys are out yo goddamned minds.

The only seafood I eat is crab legs, some lobster and maybe an oyster or two fresh.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:46:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Sushi's great stuff.  Definitely depends on where you go for it and how skilled the chef is.  My dad and I found a place we go to for lunch / dinner occasionally.  Great stuff.  Especially good crab rolls and perch.

I've tried making my own, but making good roll rice is tough.  Nigiri sushi (the kind without the seaweed wrapper) is easier--I make that stuff for lunch all the time.  Quick and tasty.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:48:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It does depend on how you're introduced to it.  
<snip>

There is much truth to this statement.  How do you all introduce your sushi virgin friends to sushi?  

I start them off with saki

Man, now I want sushi for lunch *sigh*

Too bad the weather is shit, otherwise I'd organize a road trip for lunch..

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:55:49 AM EDT
[#34]
My wife is Japanese, so she could live on it.  I've tried it, but it does nothing for me.  Don't care for the flavor, and REALLY don't care for the texture.

Now, tempura on the other hand...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:03:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Still your best bet for intestinal worms...

Actually, in the USA, per US FDA rules, all fish sold to be consumed raw must be flash frozen for 1 second to kill off those parasites.  I've heard that some people that caught tuna, actually ate them right there on the boat.  Only in the USofA do people demand absolutely fresh fish for sashimi.  In Japan, fish is frozen for later consumption because that species of fish are only available at specific times of the year.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#36]
RuSans here in Atlanta has a lunch Buffet everyday and a dinner buffet (which is better then the lunch) on Thursdays.  lunch is 10 bucks and dinner is 17 or so.  Excellent, and their menu items are even better.  They have a large plate that is 25 bucks and I get FULL.  For comparison, in Orlando, Amura has a similar plate for $89

I did not like it, but I had people who knew what was good show me the ropes.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#37]
All you folks that eat shasimi are a bunch of wimps

When any of folks visit Japan, try ordering a Fugu fish dinner.  Oh yes, if you do be sure that your life insurnce is in force.

You could die because this fish is poisonous.  All fugu chefs in Japan are specially licensed.  People eat this fish for the thrill of it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't get it.

If present with marinated sirloin tips, mashed potatoes n' gravy and a tray of raw fish wrapped in seaweed....

I'd go for the tips
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Tuna, Escalar and Tai(red snapper) are my favorites. I also eat my steaks RARE. i have been known to cut off a piece of raw steak and eat it while I'm marinating it.

I've also eaten Steak TarTar and Beef Carpaccio. (both raw, both delicious)
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:36:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:05:40 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
WAITER!!!!! Take that raw shit away, dip it in batter and deep fry it!!!!

That is another kind os sushi...tempura.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I don't get it.

If present with marinated sirloin tips, mashed potatoes n' gravy and a tray of raw fish wrapped in seaweed....

I'd go for the tips

I'm with Hokie on this one...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't eat bait, feed that crap to the fish
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Nope, tried it once, and thought it was pretty nasty.

Now had they grilled it, I'd have been all over it!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I love sushi but I never eat it from a Chinese buffet. Most Chinese buffets are... iffy, when it comes to the cleanliness of their operation. Thats ok as long as the food is cooked but for sushi? The Japanese run places are among the cleanest establishments I've ever seen, thats important when eating raw foods.

+1
The only time I'll have sushi at a Chinese buffet is when I can see the guy cut it up and prepare it in front of me.  Otherwise, you don't know how long it's been sitting out.

Just had a spicy tuna roll at my usual Japanese place last night.  Mmmmmmm!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#46]
People who are too squeamish to eat raw fish =
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#47]
EVERY single weekend my wife & I eat our complete fill - it's silly expensive, but worth every penny.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top