User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I know the theory behind it...

clutch in shift clutch out

start with clutch in

and so forth

I've never acually driven a stick shift so I don't know if I can.  My whole family has automatics so... It's never really come up.  Most ppl I know have automatics.  In fact of all the ppl I know ... 1 has a manual.  

Now I know that knowing how is a good skill to have... at this point learning would be anoiying and dificult.  as I'd have to find 1 a car to practice on and 2 time it practice.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I can drive a tractor with a stick just fine, but those are low speed and have enough torque that my suckiness with the clutch is forgiven.  I've only had 15min in a stick-shift car (someone from work let me play with their rental while we were in Europe), so I would not do well if I had to be gentle.

I had the perfect learning opertunity on a friend's Jeep when he had me follow him to the shop to drop it off for a clutch replacement, but we both forgot about it until after he'd already completed the paperwork and gave them the keys.

I am ashamed. (and plan to buy a used Jeep with a stick to rectify that situation this fall/winter, and use the "want to go for a ride in my Jeep" pick-up line)

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I can drive a stick in my sleep.

How many here have driven a Column shift, that takes a little getting used to.

That is what I learned on.  Damn, I am old.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
i think these count:

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not able to drive a manual because I have to drive with hand controls (legs are inoperative), so I drive an automatic transmission Subaru station wagon.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I REFUSE to own a vehicle with an automatic transmission. Or an airbag, or a navagation system, or any other automatic gizmo crap like headlights, interior lights, door locks, windshield wipers, ect.
Most of my cars don't even have a radio.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
In mid-2004, a friend of mine wanted me to teach him how to drive stick.  Usually, it's a horrible, horrible idea to teach someone how to drive stick in a car that you care about, but this car... I couldn't care less.

He wanted me to teach him so he could be a vallet at a big convention center.  Turns out they were having Barbara Bush speak at the convention center... he's a HUGE lib.  I told him I'd teach him to drive stick if he scored me a dozen Bush/Cheney '04 bumperstickers.  He was appalled that I'd ask such a horrible thing, and he refused.

They gave the job to someone else, and I'd bet $50 he still can't drive stick today.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I can't drive one very well. My fiance was teaching me in her Mustang until I got nervous, dumped the clutch, and did a rolling burnout across a major intersection.

I've been thinking about renting a car to practice in.

I have yet to find a rental with a manual tranny.  What you said is a major reason why.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My daily driver is a 69 El Camino SS with Viper T56 six speed.

Why the Viper T-56 and not the Vette T-56.  The vette version was more realistically geared.  The vipers power died before it could turn the 6th gear past 3 grand.  Low RPM overdrive.  The vette was geared to use all 6 gears all throughout the power band.  Whatcha got turnin it?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#10]
in fifth grade our bus driver let us take turns shifting the gears in the mini bus we rode in. By 14 I was proficient in driving a manual shift jeep belonging to a friends grandfather
the last vehicle I bought with a stick was a '93 Z28. I bought it new and it was discounted with the T56 6 speed(now days you have to pay for it). That was a fun car for a while but driving in heavy traffic with the stiff clutch got old after awhile and I traded cars with my then girlfriend and I then drove a stick Cavalier
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been pretty hard on MTs over the years, broken clutch pedals, broken clutch discs, burned clutch discs, stripped synchos. Got tired of have to pay to have them fixed, now I drive an automatic.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't feel bad LarryG, I'm 27, and I learned on a column shift.
I'm a farm kid....everything we had around had a clutch in it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I hate automatics.  I hate tiptronics.  I hear paddle shifting is the shit, but I have a feeling I would hate it too.

I want a clutch, damnit.

Cars without clutches are for swishy homosexuals.

Paddle shifted seqential manual transmissions still have clutches, you just don't use your foot to operate it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I learned how to drive with a manual transmission but it's been so long since I've done it I probably can't anymore.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah but my heel-toe shifting is clumsy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Column shifts, and antique cars with two speed rears, non-synchro transmissions and friggin mechanical brakes.

My current cars and truck are all sticks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#17]
How about a car with NO transmission ????

What is it ?

rj
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What is it ?

rj

Like a turbine powered contraption with constant thrust or whatever they call it?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Have to they didn't make make automatics in for this in 1988!

Oh yeah.  Well I drove one of these:

for 8 years.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The clutch cable broke in my 911 once in February and I drove it every day for 2 weeks sans clutch until it quit raining and warmed enough on a weekend to replace it.  

Years ago I drove my Celica home about 40 miles after the clutch slave cylinder failed. It was no big deal since I use to shift it without the clutch when I was lazy. It was still runnimg fine after 220,000 miles with the original clutch when I finally got rid of it.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Gay?

Quoted:
I never learned how to drive a stick. AND I DON'T CARE

Granted I'm only 20 so there's still time to learn.

Ummm.......no

I just don't care. To me, a car is just a thing that gets me from point A to point B. It is a tool. I've never used a stick shift, and since it offers little appreciable benefit to me, I also don't care. A car is a car, to me they aren't like guns, where details DO matter....

Granted, I wouldn't mind knowing how. It could be useful someday, I suppose, if I am ever randomly placed in a situation where I instantly have to drive a stick shift.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

What is it ?

rj

like a snomobile, CV drive.
I can't remember which car had it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't feel bad LarryG, I'm 27, and I learned on a column shift.
I'm a farm kid....everything we had around had a clutch in it.

Keep feeling better LarryG, because I'm 26 and the first manual transmission vehicle I purchased was a 68 Ford F100 with a column shift. I miss that old truck.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I hate automatics.  I hate tiptronics.  I hear paddle shifting is the shit, but I have a feeling I would hate it too.

I want a clutch, damnit.

Cars without clutches are for swishy homosexuals.

What he said
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#25]
No, I can't drive a stick, but then again, I just plain can't drive...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The clutch cable broke in my 911 once in February and I drove it every day for 2 weeks sans clutch until it quit raining and warmed enough on a weekend to replace it.  

How'd you start it and take off?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#27]
drove a car from WV to ohio with a bad clutch. freeways were fine but once i got in to the city it got kinda sketchy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I special ordered my car in a stick.  They had one just like it on the lot with automatic.  I didn't want it.  Mine's a V6 Cougar.
love my car.

I had one of those when they first came out, my family worked for Ford and we got them a full 6 months before then came out for everybody else. I got alot of looks in that thing. I took at right hand turn at about 45 in that thing I wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Toyota has a "clutch start cancel" that lets you start it w/o the clutch engaged.  It's jerky but you can do it.
It is really only good for 4-wheeling on steep terrain and stalling or if it is not in gear and you want to turn it on to get the heat or AC going without getting in to work the clutch.  But it will get you going w/o the clutch.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#30]
24 people need to hand in their man cards.

Unless you have C6 with a paddle shifter.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let the car in front of you get farther ahead, bring the rpm's up, and shove it into first.

It takes practice.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is it ?

rj

Like a turbine powered contraption with constant thrust or whatever they call it?

Nope
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is it ?

rj

like a snomobile, CV drive.
I can't remember which car had it.

That is still a trans.  What I am talking about has no tranny and no clutch.

rj
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Forklifts, motorcycles, tractors, some lawn mowers, cars, trucks, 18 wheelers, if you can't handle a clutch, you are out of luck.

Taught my lil bro how to drive a stick in a 63 Chevy Belaire, V-8 and 3 on the tree.  I had a blast, he didn't!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Learned to drive on a stick.  Dad was a big believer in that..its the only way to learn how a car works.  I agree.

Driven nothing but manuals since.  Wive(s) have owned auitomatics, but not me.  Ordered my current car (BMW 330i 6 speed manual) and took dad with me to Germany for to pick it up and drive it on the autobahn for the weekend.  awesome!

its the only way to go.  He is 70 and drives a Subaru WRX STI...I'll be just like him.. the last one driving a manual.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Let's just say that I know how but I have never tried.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I can.

But driving with one for over twenty years in New York City and Washington, DC traffic finally convinced me that I didn’t want to!!  

Nowadays I plain and simply don’t want to be bothered with one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#38]
When I was in the military, I bought a 1987 Ford EXP.  I taught myself to drive a stick during the test drive.  No problems.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I can drive something like easy like a Civic.. a Porsche.. no

What's so hard about driving a Porsche with a manual?  My Porsche has one and... wait... well, 1st and 2nd gear syncros are pretty worn, sometimes it's difficult to shift, but it's easy if you don't rush it.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Currently dive an RSX with a six-speed. Even my wife refuses to own a car without a manual transmission
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
No, I can't drive a stick, but then again, I just plain can't drive...

Same here.  I'd learn(in the ARFCOM way) both!  That said, all three family vehicles are autos.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Four On The Floor and a Fifth Under the Seat  

Hell yeah man.....thats the way to do it!!!!!!!!

I bet yer from the country to.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#43]
First stick I drove was an '84(?) Iroc Camaro, on the test drive at the car lot.  My buddy told me just make sure you've got the revs up a bit and ease the clutch out, you'll feel it.  Thought the salesman was going to come unglued when I dumped the clutch at about 3500!

Been driving a stick now for the past 22 years.  My wife even drove our 4-Runner, which was a manual, for her daily driver.  This new Bond guy is pathetic.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is it ?

rj

Is he referring to that Chrysler turbine car they street trialed in the '60s?  I actually saw one of those on the street as a teenager.  Crap, I am old.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Mt first car was a 70 somthing Dodge van with a 3 on the tree,not the best to learn on.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I cant, I been looking into learning how but dont have a damn car to try it in.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd go so far as to say that it is very likely that chicks who can't drive manual are the prissy type who suffer from the strange delusion that (straight) guys actually pay attention to what their fingernails look like and think that white pantyhose are somehow attractive.

Are you with me?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I cant, I been looking into learning how but dont have a damn car to try it in.

Ideas?

My older sister had a Ford Festiva(similar to a Geo Metro) that was the first car she ever purchased and the first stick shift she ever bought.)  Or something small like a Civic or a Toyota Corolla or a Jeep Wrangler even.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'd go so far as to say that it is very likely that chicks who can't drive manual are the prissy type who suffer from the strange delusion that (straight) guys actually pay attention to what their fingernails look like and think that white pantyhose are somehow attractive.

Are you with me?

White pantyhose are attractive on the right woman, although I prefer thigh-highs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Drive a manual every day, and it's a truck (a wimpy 2wd open diff, but it's still a truck).
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top