Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2006 7:01:51 AM EDT
I have a few questions about bows and arrows. I'm thinking about getting a bow and I would like to know what the highest draw weight is. Where would be the best place to order something like this?What are the strongest and heaviest arrows? I have a bunch of questions just don't know where to start.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Most bows are most efficient at 70# with a 30" draw.
go to www.bowsite.com or archery talk fo more detailed info.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a few questions about bows and arrows. I'm thinking about getting a bow and I would like to know what the highest draw weight is. Where would be the best place to order something like this?What are the strongest and heaviest arrows? I have a bunch of questions just don't know where to start.

can I ask why you're looking for a high draw weight and heavy arrows?

what is your goal?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I normally shoot a Martin Cougar Speed-Flite set at a 90 pound draw weight, but I'm a large guy (6'2" and 220 lbs) who's been shooting a bow since fifth grade.  You might have a little trouble starting out with the heaviest draw you can find.  Just like rifles, accuracy kills- speed is to brag to your buddies about.
I shoot big heavy arrows, moving slowly, because it suits my preferences.  My hunting partners shoot smaller arrows, moving a lot quicker, because it works for them.  It sounds like you're a little stuck on the "biggest/baddest bow" theory.  You might want to ask local hunters what they use on various game.  High draw weights require a little working up to, and you can damage muscles you don't normally use.  I've shot 105 and 110 pound draw weights and don't recommend it.
If you contact your local archery stores and clubs you'll probably get better help in person than over the net.
FWIW, IMHO, YMMV.

1911fan
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#6]
DONT buy a bow based on a high draw wieght alone.

There are alot of things to be considered, here are a few:

What is your draw length?

What kind of arrow will you be shooting, aluminum or carbon? What wieght broadhead? Your arrows will have to wieghted to match your draw lentgh and bows poundage.

What kind of arrow rest?

What about sights, will you be using a peep sight with pins, or just pins?

Will you usung a tab release or a trigger release?

Are you left handed or right handed?

The best advice I can give, is go find a Archery PRO SHOP, this is a shop that sells nothing but bows, they can FIT you to a bow and set the bow up right.

This way you have a bow that fits you, you can pull back properly and actually hit your target and enjoy the sport.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#7]
BTW,

I shoot left handed. I shoot a PSE Diamondback, 60lbs set at 56pounds with PSE Carbon Dominator arrows and Muzzy 3 blade 100gr broadheads.

I have yet to lose a deer with that set up.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#9]
First you take our land...now you want our tools.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
First you take our land...now you want our tools.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, the abuse from those 'knitting needle' shooters is amusing.  I shot a cow elk at 55 yards (already wounded and getting dark) and the arrow went in just behind the left shoulder, lung-heart-lung, and sliced through the ligaments holding the right front leg on.  Dead elk, RFN, and she'd been shot twice with littler arrows.  
My setup was intended for shooting bears off baits at 15-25 yards (now illegal), but I've had it so long I hate to change.  Plus I've got a 32" draw length and that's hard to find.  Haven't weighed 'em for a while but IIRC my 2513's are about 650+ grains with Wasp broadheads on.  They barely slow down for deer!

1911fan
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Research, research, research.  then do a little more, and then buy one.  A lot of archery ranges have bows that you can test.   I am no expert and do not know all the technical terms but I have shot 5 or 6 different compound bows and the best one I have ever shot is the Matthews Solo Cam.  FAST, QUIET, lightweight, and has an excellent let off, you could hold it in the full draw all day long.  I am trying to weedle it out from under my dad.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yeah, the abuse from those 'knitting needle' shooters is amusing.  I shot a cow elk at 55 yards (already wounded and getting dark) and the arrow went in just behind the left shoulder, lung-heart-lung, and sliced through the ligaments holding the right front leg on.  Dead elk, RFN, and she'd been shot twice with littler arrows.  
My setup was intended for shooting bears off baits at 15-25 yards (now illegal), but I've had it so long I hate to change.  Plus I've got a 32" draw length and that's hard to find.  Haven't weighed 'em for a while but IIRC my 2513's are about 650+ grains with Wasp broadheads on.  They barely slow down for deer!

1911fan

Hey now......I dont give you guys grief.......I just happen to prefer carbon arrows.....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I was shooting NFAA  and IBO in Germany when carbon arrows hit the scene.  I used to love it when people would bounce em off of the smallest branch and have them shatter when they hit the ground.

I shoot a Browning Whitetail 2 at 65# and have never had a problem punching through with it.

The comments about draw weight are entirely correct, one doesn't need the 90# bow to get it done.  Just because you can draw it once doesn't make it the right fit.  You have to be able to draw and fire several or several hundred shots a day with little to no fatigue.  Proper back tension that archery requires uses very under used muscle groups in the back.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:40:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I was shooting NFAA  and IBO in Germany when carbon arrows hit the scene.  I used to love it when people would bounce em off of the smallest branch and have them shatter when they hit the ground.

and aluminum shafts never bend either.....

I have hunted with both, and prefer carbon shafts, I have took many deer with carbon shaftsed arrows, and my arrows have never shattered.

I even did a true "robin hood" while target shooting with carbon arrows, the arrows did not shatter then either, I will post pics in a few minutes.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Pics of a robin hood shot I made 2 years ago, while target shooting getting ready for bow season.

Distance was 35 yards. Pin sights without a peep. Sights are PSE F-18. Bow PSE Diamondback. Speed is about 280fps.

Look at the arrow that got hit, see the green? Thats the nock for that arrow, it was driven into the shaft by the second arrow.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I shoot a 50lb Saxon express long bow with home made cedar shaft arrows, at 30yds the arrow went through the deer and traveled another 15yds before lodging itself in a tree. The deer went about 10 yards and dropped.
Doesn't take alot of power or new fangled gadgets to hunt, it takes a hunter.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Well put, skeeterh!  I've looked at replacing my Martin, but more and more I'm leaning towards a recurve.  I shot them for years before I moved to the compound.  Most of my critters taken were ~35 yards or less, and the Martin weighs as much/more than some of my rifles.  I'm looking at some takedown recurves too.  As I get older (crowding 50) the extra weight and draw weight matter more.  I still practice all spring, from different positions.  I shot the last elk while standing on a deadfall 6' off the ground, bouncing, and the one before that while bent over to shoot under a branch.  

Where in Wa are you?

1911fan
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Spokane, but I haven't had my bow out for few years.
I used to hunt with a buddy that used a compound, he definately regretted all that weight when we would head up into the mountains to hunt, niether of us had the patience for blinds or stands.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I shoot a 50lb Saxon express long bow with home made cedar shaft arrows, at 30yds the arrow went through the deer and traveled another 15yds before lodging itself in a tree. The deer went about 10 yards and dropped.

You posted this on the same board where unless you have 150lbs of shit hanging off your M4 clone you are teh gheyBrave man
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I use a Darton Apache Compound and a Pearson Probe Compound.

My dad has an old Golden Eagle compound and an old Jeffries bow.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is your goal?

Well I happen to very strong so I want a bow that is a bit of a challange to shoot. Strong arrows last longer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone have the pic of the guy who had a carbon arrow explode on him and stab through his arm?

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is your goal?

Well I happen to very strong so I want a bow that is a bit of a challange to shoot. Strong arrows last longer.

Almost all the market leading bow and arrow makers build them strong enough for you.  I think what NoVaGator is asking is what you want to do with the bow.  

Do you want to hunt? shoot targets? Are you only looking at compound bows?  Aluminum or carbon or wood arrows?  Any interest in recurves or long bows?  Do you want to make your own bows?  Do you want to make your own arrows, and if so, do you just want to attach the fletching or do you want to start from scratch?  Historical shooting?  Home made bows?  I have seen long bows with 150+ lb pulls.  The question isn't how strong you are, or how much of a challenge you want - The question is what kind of shooting you want to do.  As far as compound bows with all the tricks, the Matthews are hard to beat but are pricey.  

I enjoy archery with compound, recurve, and long bow, although it's been a while since I have practiced with a non-homemade long bow.  Compound bows generally will shoot flatter and faster - but shorter effective range as the arrows are light.  Long bows can shoot a LONG way and still kill an animal due to the heavier weight arrow and head, BUT shoot an extreme arc.  Compound bows are drawn and held, whereas long bows and recurves are pulled and released.  

They are all fun, but asking what kind of bow based on draw weight is interesting but probably not the first question you need to ask yourself.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#27]
The other thing that I noticed with archery... your mewfound appreciation for discipline, breathing and patience.

My firearm skills improved 110% ever since I took up archery.

Best advice I can give you... go to a pro archery shop and have them measure you up and work with you. That way you will not pick up bad habits. Trust me, a good shop will work with you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The other thing that I noticed with archery... your mewfound appreciation for discipline, breathing and patience.

Best advice I can give you... go to a pro archery shop and have them measure you up and work with you. That way you will not pick up bad habits. Trust me, a good shop will work with you.

Ya, like running away screaming like a girl at the sight of a little spider.....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya, like running away screaming like a girl at the sight of a little spider.....

Now THAT hurt!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now THAT hurt!!!

Sorry buddy, J/K/ with ya as allways...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is your goal?

Shoot through buffaloes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Go to your local shop, look around, talk to the poeple, see what other people are shooting.  Your criterea for a bow should definately not be which one has the most draw.  And you arrow choice definately should not be the heaviest ones.  I would recommend  either a Hoyt or a Matthews, and a decent set of carbon arrows.

I shoot a Hoyt CyberTec, with carbons.

There are a lot of good bows out there all in all get the one that you feel most comfortable with.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Hopefully, there is a good proshop in your area. Go there and check them out. Tell them what you want to use it for. Look at the $300 and $600 bows. If they won't take the time to show you a few things and explain the attachments and accesories (sights, release, arrows) then down the road you go.

I am lucky to have two within 5 miles of home. They both want my business! Be very careful ordering on-line. You could easily end up with a bow not-legal for hunting in your state. Happend to my sons Scout leader. Bought from Cabelas and the bow had too much let off. The "nice" guys at the local proshop were more than happy to switch out cams for him$$$.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#34]
What i want to do is Be able to hunt and do target shooting. I want to be able to hit a target at 100 yards with a bow. I don't know if thats long range But i do know you would need alot of power to do such a thing. If you ever seen the movie with the Rock the something king. Where he has that bow and the other people can't pull it back I want something like that. I looked at cabelas and stuff and I can only find 60-70 draw weight.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
What i want to do is Be able to hunt and do target shooting. I want to be able to hit a target at 100 yards with a bow. I don't know if thats long range But i do know you would need alot of power to do such a thing. If you ever seen the movie with the Rock the something king. Where he has that bow and the other people can't pull it back I want something like that. I looked at cabelas and stuff and I can only find 60-70 draw weight.

Bow Hunting at 100 yards is practically un heard of.  In respct to the animals and making a clean shot, I would never take a shot pass 40 yards, maybe I'm not good enough, but I would never try a shot that I don't think I can make.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I want to be able to hit a target at 100 yards with a bow.  ...the movie with the Rock the something king. Where he has that bow and the other people can't pull it back I want something like that.

Ummmm.... well, yes, 100 yards is a long long long way for a bow.  Ethically, you should not shoot an animal past your effective range, which for most people is 25-35 yards.  Also, if "the other people cant pull it back" you're probably one of them.  As others have recommended, start low and work up.

Why do I feel like I'm feeding a troll here?  You've gotten some good advice. Follow it.

1911fan, done posting in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#37]
or a retard.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what do you think he hunts with his bow???
The guns were causing serious damage and not making for happy neighbors
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

even the Mrs gets in on it, LOVE IT....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

even the Mrs gets in on it, LOVE IT....

Youve pitted my wife against me.... I am now on a mission to find your weaknesses!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Dont buy a bow you cant draw....it'll be useless if you do.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Youve pitted my wife against me.... I am now on a mission to find your weaknesses!!

Noooo she joined the dark side willingly......I think it is the cool cape....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I shoot the red-headded stepchild of bows.  Oneida Black Eagle ESC.  I get funny looks and my hunting friends always laugh at me, but I have taken two deer with my old Screaming Eagle (much older Oneida)

Go try them all out at a shop.

+1 on the 100yrd hunting.  Very bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I shoot the red-headded stepchild of bows.  Oneida Black Eagle ESC.  I get funny looks and my hunting friends always laugh at me, but I have taken two deer with my old Screaming Eagle (much older Oneida)

Go try them all out at a shop.

+1 on the 100yrd hunting.  Very bad idea.

Based ONLY on looks, I've always wanted one of those black eagle bows.

I like that they've got just one line running from tip to tip, as opposed to the cables of a regular compound. It looks cool.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a friend who shoots a 120 lb long bow.  You can have one made to just about any draw weight you want, but unless you are some sort of deformed Hercules steroid freak you probably don't need quite that much.  If recurve or long bow is what you seek, check the net for any of the custom bowyers and contact them directly.  Expect to pay $900 to $1200 for the best in custom heavy weight bows.

As for arrows, you can get a spine for whatever bow and draw length bow you acquire.  My buddies arrows for his 120 lb long bow are like big around as my thumb.  Well, almost.

Edited to add:  If you go the recurve/longbow route remember that you will need to be able to pull and HOLD that puppy back.  All I can handle is 57# @ 28".  It goes smooth through a deer, but more heavier is better for faster flight and flatter path.  Just don't over do it.  Accuracy is all that counts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#47]
OK, Ulysses,
A bow that noone else can draw back serves only one purpose; that being to guard the virtue of Penelope.  Good luck with that.
On a more rational note, arrows are a lot like bullets; sometimes driving them too fast is not the answer.
Also the heavier they are-the harder it is to drive 'm that fast.  Remember "lighter is faster".

Where is Georgestrings when you need him?  That man forgot more about archery than i EVER knew!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm looking for a bow that isn't hard to find with a 100 pound draw. I could always work out more if I can't handle it. I think I will be able to though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#49]
while back i was googling around about bow hunting and actually ran up on some guys doing african safaris with bows and in some cases hunting elephants.....

other thing i ran up on was some guy who wanted a bow like the indians used and wanted to hunt buffaloe. he (i think) made a traditional bow and was successful finding a place to let him hunt buffs with it and he actually was able to kill one...

the elephant thing though..

eta..tink hunts elephants with bow

"Tink has taken 3 Elephants and 17 Buffalo with Bow & Arrow only.  Has taken three Cape Buffalo in Africa each with a single arrow, on video. First Bowhunter to ever bag the Banteng with bow and arrow. First bowhunter to take a Sambar Deer with bow. First and only bowhunter to take the Buffalo Grand Slam with Bow (taking American Bison, Asian Water Buffalo, African Water Buffalo and three Cape Buffalo and the rare Banteng). Tink has taken more species of deer with the bow and arrow than anyone, living or dead. Tink has taken more Buffalo with a bow than anyone in the world, 18 total".
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I'm looking for a bow that isn't hard to find with a 100 pound draw. I could always work out more if I can't handle it. I think I will be able to though.

LMAO

I used to own an archery shop.

My money is you can't draw a 70 lb bow.

I shot an 80# bow for years. The 70# Hoyts that I shoot now, one shoots appox 50 fps faster and the other shoots 80 fps faster at a 10 plus pound less draw weight.

Technology has made those ultra heavy draw weight bows a thing of the past for serious bowhunters.

You don't seem to be serious. I hope I'm wrong and you are serious. Archery is a great, and addictive sport.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top