Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/22/2006 10:46:26 AM EDT
...not out of boycotting or anything, just kind of happend. There's nothing they offer me any more.
4 times a year a gun show comes to my town and I'll buy the piddly stuff there and fondle guns there.

My colllection's grown over the years and it's doubtful the shops would have anything I'd want anyway.

My last handgun was from the EE.

Reloading supplies are mailed ordered from MidwayUSA and Dillon and a few other places.

Ones local to me don't carry EBR's.   For transfers using a gun club member who has a FFL and charges a modest $10 vs $30 the shops usually charge.

October 2004 I visited one out of guilt and ordered 2 glocks from them and paid near retail just to "support my local gunshop".  Why?  I could have gotten the glocks cheaper elsewhere.

Rambling off....

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]
+1, gun shops are not for gun enthusiasts, they are for average joe's who just need a gun for whatever reason. They never carry the good stuff that we are interesed in. I only use em for transfers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I feel your pain.  Here in shotgun country there is very little of interest at the local shops.  None of the brick and mortar places will handle EBR's either.  Just shotguns and a few overpriced handguns, and even then only a few models that their non-shooting management approves of...

In most places it's 5000 shotguns of varying types, 10 generic and overpriced bolt actions, a few lever guns for the CAS crowd, and a buncha crappy .22's.

The handguns are mostly absurd "hunting" cannons and a few Glocks, used smith revolvers and a few Beretta's and XD's.  Oh, and 1911's.  All of which are grossly overpriced.

It's no surprise Iowa still has a shitty CCW law.  The whole state is full of sheeple...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Before I found out about ARCOM I must have dropped thousand of dollars on useless crap at my local gun store.

Now I just use the EE.

God bless the EE
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have more interesting stuff than my local gun stores.

More ammo too.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Gun Shops are Overpriced and clerks there don't supply you with correct knowledge on the product. Internet is the way to go!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Guns & Ammo in Memphis TN on Summer Ave used to be a really good shop. Lots of EBR's. Haven't been there in a long time though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#7]
(generalizing) local gun shops are our own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
+1, gun shops are not for gun enthusiasts, they are for average joe's who just need a gun for whatever reason. They never carry the good stuff that we are interesed in. I only use em for transfers.

That is the truth

There are only a few gun shops my area that I even visit any more because my gun tastes are different than the average joe's.

Going to a chain store like Scheels, Cablea's, Dicks, Sportsman's Warehouse Bass Pro Shop etc etc is a waste of my time.

I am interested in black rifles, pre 1989 guns, and guns that are out of production.  You don't see HKs Steyrs, Walthers old Winchesters.....at retail chain stores because the guns are Not PC or they only stock new guns.

Nothing thrilling going into a gun store to look at new bolt action rifles or over under shotguns.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#10]
The only gun I've bought at retail was my Savage .270. It kicked ass because I got a ridiculous amount of rewards points

Every gun after that was instate face to face (since I have to get private party sales on my handguns being under 21).

And I'll buy from guys selling on GunBroker or GunsAmerica once in a while too. My local gun store gets my business for good quality reloads and holsters. Other than that, I fondle their goodies.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the truth

There are only a few gun shops my area that I even visit any more because my gun tastes are different than the average joe's.

Going to a chain store like Scheels, Cablea's, Dicks, Sportsman's Warehouse Bass Pro Shop etc etc is a waste of my time.

I am interested in black rifles, pre 1989 guns, and guns that are out of production.  You don't see HKs Steyrs, Walthers old Winchesters.....at retail chain stores because the guns are Not PC or they only stock new guns.

Nothing thrilling going into a gun store to look at new bolt action rifles or over under shotguns.

In defense of Bass Pro, we stock USPs, High Powers, S&W Revolvers and autos, Glocks, XDs, Rugers, Sigs and Walthers, and then a line of tactical rifles, even benelli shotguns and surefire lights. Gotta get employee discount on surefire lights
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Yup same here.  I havent bought a gun at a BM store in years.  Most are from the internet or gun shows.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#13]
See, I love my local shop.  I don't spend a lot of time there, maybe once every other month.  However, they're a bunch of great guys, and really good to talk to.  They have a small selection of black rifles, but they're neutered as NY still has an AWB.  They have a decent selection of pistols and long guns, and they have no problem doing transfers for me either.

I'd still rather go to my shop, than walk around a gun show.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
...In defense of Bass Pro, we stock USPs, High Powers, S&W Revolvers and autos, Glocks, XDs, Rugers, Sigs and Walthers, and then a line of tactical rifles, even benelli shotguns and surefire lights. Gotta get employee discount on surefire lights

interesting, the local BP shop here in Denver didn't have any cool stuff like that when I went in there (about 1 month ago)
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#16]
We have a few good shops here in Fayettevile.

You can get $95 DPMS lowers, $179 M-4 barrels  at Jims pawn shop

$379 EO techs, $133 RRA lower receivers $179-200 M4 barrels and other good deals(Knights, ARMS etc) at Shooters Pawn.

Shooters always has good deals.

And his FFL transfers are only $20

FREE

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#17]

With me , it's all about how I'm treated .  I can't stand arrogant  gun shop people that assume
I know nothing about guns or ammo . Some of them treat you like you are a  total idiot and they were put here to enlighten you . When they start their sales pitch they won't even make eye
contact with you . They look around to see how big their audience is . Screw them . Even
the kid at WalMart is more polite and the prices are better anyway .
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
interesting, the local BP shop here in Denver didn't have any cool stuff like that when I went in there (about 1 month ago)

Well, the hunting manager over there is a bit of a tool and lets his subordinates order what they feel will sell. Well, they sell guns like hotcakes here, but they still can't get past the company policy of no guns under 4" barrel length.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#19]
There is only one shop withing 150 miles of me that I really ever purchase firearms from and they frequent the local gunshow with very good prices. Everything else I pretty much do mail order. I do check out the local pawnshops on a regular basis however looking for used stuff. I have a local FFL that does my transfers for $25 per order, doesn't matter if it is one gun or three as long as they come from the same place. When I lived in another town I have just laughed when ordering 3 stripped AR lowers or something and have had shop FFLs tell me that will be $120-150 or something for the transfers. They must be supporting a crack habit or something. Then they get insulted if you try to bargain with their rates, if they don;t want my money thats their fault.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I go to local gun shops & pawn shops to look for older guns. It also helps to come in regularly and get to know the owners. You can find some deals, but you have to know what you are looking at.

I paid $175.00 for a Colt New Service in .455 Eley. It had been converted to .45 ACP but the shop owner had it forever and no one ever gave it a second look. The pistol was worth more, but he let me have it cheap because he wanted to move it.

I got a Finn M91 (Tikka 41) dirt cheap in a shop one time because to them it was "just" an M91 and they didn't know about Finns.

U.S. property and Ordnance marked Stevens 620 12 ga shotgun for $135.00.

I also found an M39 stock with metal in like new condition sitting in a bin of used stocks for $10.00.

...Yeah, gun shops suck. Please don't go to them. You might end up getting in my way or pissing off the counter help.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Guns & Ammo in Memphis TN on Summer Ave used to be a really good shop. Lots of EBR's. Haven't been there in a long time though.

They still are, they have more EBRs than ever.  I shop there pretty much exclusively, except when I have to order something.   I've dealt with them long enough that they will knock a few bucks off here and there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I do most of my transactions online, too.  I worry sometimes because I've seen a lot of gun stores go out of business in recent years, and we need them in order to do FFL transfers.  Every time a store closes, that's another FFL that you can't use for transfers.  What happens if we wind up without access to FFL's?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I do internet/EE shopping for guns/gun stuff, but I still shop a lot at one gun store.  If I want a commonly available gun, I let them do the leg work of tracking one down and getting it to the store.  If there is something wrong with the gun (one BM AR-15 had a large blemish on the barrel) then they take care of it.  Yeah, I could probably get it $20 cheaper but I don't have to deal with the hassle.  I shop there enough that when, for example, I bought several AK receivers, they charged me only one $25 transfer fee.  They make their cut and I get great service.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I do 95% of my shopping on the EE (mostly through the Dealers here).  I have a friend with an FFL that only charges me like $10 for a transfer, whereas all the local gunshops want $35.

The only "local" gunshop I check out is Sportsman's Warehouse because every now and then they have good sales.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Sometimes my local shop has good stuff and sometimes nothing. Don't know unless you go in there tho. They carry a pretty decent selection of handguns of all sorts, mil type rifles, and all the hunting junk. They are more then happy to order you something, will dicker a bit on prices and if you are a halfass decent customer, will let you know if something they know you might like comes in. Downside is horrible ammo prices, mag prices, and the like. Initial prices on guns can be high sometimes, but they will dicker with you, especially if you are a repeat buyer and know your stuff. They do transfers for $30 which I consider fair for their services, they do after all run a business, and deserve to make some money off a transfer.

Every once in a while I run across a good deal there, Colts 6920s were at $1200 tax included OTD when they were very hard to find, Russian SKS in refurbed new condition for $149, 1941 Colt USGI in correct condition but with worn finish for $500 [thats a deal for a correct GI 1911] Chinee SKS new $99, Mak 90 NIB under 300. Always worth a look, even if you don't buy.

If a shop is so stupid as to only sell one type of gun they WILL go out of business, I never knew a hunter yet, that spent close to what a "black" rifle type of guy will.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1.

I often walk into a shop and ask someone if they have . . . xyz. . . and promptly walk out when they tell me no.  Don't get me wrong I asked them to check the price of a BM patrolmans carbine a couple months back. . . they were close to $200 over (and they wouldn't negotiate)  what some of the EE dealers were selling them for.

The worst thing of all though about gunshops is the price of ammo. . . $10+ for a box of WWB 9mm.  No thanks, I don't have any problems with Walmart and mail order.

The only good deals I ever see in gun shops is used/surplus firearms on occasion.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I can get cases of SA 7.62 at my local store without paying the enormous shipping charges. The whole back wall is filled with EBR goodies, so I visit regularly. The employees are sociable, as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I do most of my transactions online, too.  I worry sometimes because I've seen a lot of gun stores go out of business in recent years, and we need them in order to do FFL transfers.  Every time a store closes, that's another FFL that you can't use for transfers.  What happens if we wind up without access to FFL's?

Then you can thank yourselves for shooting each other in the foot.

At the same time, there is no excuse for a brick and mortar having shitty customer service, or ridiculous prices. But also, I think some folks misunderstand the way gun sales play out for a brick and mortar store. I may mark up a new gun 30% or so, but once you extract all the expenses out of that, it usually winds up 10% or less profit. It's very hard for us to contend with online sales. That's why some shops are putting transfer fees through the roof.

The only fall back that brick and mortar stores have is to try and outdo the online folks with customer service and added extras. In most places, that is enough.  A lot of the mom and pop shops would be honestly surprised how much business they can steal from the internet, and still charge enough to get by, by hiring knowledgable staff, not bullshitting their customers, and providing superior customer service.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Academy sports here in Plano Texas is a breath of fresh air. EBRs and decent pricing, but it cant be called a gun shop. The only place I go other than this site for guns is a great local pawnshop in our town. I have gotten some insane deals, and just last week got a minty g19  3rd gen for 390$
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Have not bought a gun from a shop for about two years now.  Mainly just use them to recieve what I order because I have too.  It saves me money and taxes to do it that way.  The only reason I buy shop guns is that by the time I pay shipping and recieving I save no money.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#31]
i asked the local gander mountain if they would do the transfer for me for an online order..... they said that they could do it as long as it was a "sporting" rifle, and not a "military" rifle, like an "M1A or SKS".  which made no sense to me, they sell glocks and 1911's and other "non-sporting" type handguns, don't see why they couldnt transfer me a garand or SKS....
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
i asked the local gander mountain if they would do the transfer for me for an online order..... they said that they could do it as long as it was a "sporting" rifle, and not a "military" rifle, like an "M1A or SKS".  which made no sense to me, they sell glocks and 1911's and other "non-sporting" type handguns, don't see why they couldnt transfer me a garand or SKS....

now who is the dumbfuck making these "rules" ??  (not just at GM, but elsewhere too)
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I guess Miami is the exception.

When I go the gunshops the rifle racks are packed with EBR's, AK's, 1919's, Fifty cals, and the occasional shotgun. Of course, there are bad gun shops in Miami which cater almost exclusively to the Elmer Fudds.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I do most of my transactions online, too.  I worry sometimes because I've seen a lot of gun stores go out of business in recent years, and we need them in order to do FFL transfers.   Every time a store closes, that's another FFL that you can't use for transfers.  What happens if we wind up without access to FFL's?

You have a real valid point there...

I just got home from my FFL dealer's house. Guy called the dealer up last night, said he hit some hard times and needs to unload two rifles. Dealer calls me says Guy has an AK, am I interested? Suuure buddy  So, I get there and come to find out Guy HAD a DPMS AR (bought a month ago for $1K) and he already sold it "back". Gunstore he sold it to, was where he originally bought it, and they gave him $300 for it. Yes, Three Hundred dollars... one month after they sold it to him for One Thousand Dollars, plus tax. Gun was still mint. Thats one hell of an expensive rental!

I don't care if this place goes outta business. I kinda hope it does!

I understand it's pretty hard to get a dealer FFL if you don't have a storefront. Which brings me to my point...  Find the mom and pops, or the guy doing transfers from his home. They don't have the overhead and often do it just to cover their cost of ammo etc... Fellow enthusiasts not looking to get rich on our backs. (or to steal from people)

There are a few good guys left out there. I found my dealer listed at Gunbroker. You can also locate people by asking in the Hometown type forums for your area. Find one good guy, build a relationship, and stick with him.

Don't deal with shitty shops. Go out of your way to find and support the good ones, it's the latter which we really need to keep around.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I only use em for transfers.

My dealer is happy to do transfers only. The few bucks he makes off each transfer goes into his reloading supply costs.

Quoted:
The worst thing of all though about gunshops is the price of ammo. . . $10+ for a box of WWB 9mm.  No thanks, I don't have any problems with Walmart and mail order.

Another good thing about my dealer... he'll get 3, 5, 10 guys together and place a bulk order on cases of ammo. He divides the cost among all of us, and we each walk away with a case or two and save some money.  He does the same for reloading supplies.

He'll do layaways.
He'll order anything you want.
He'll even snag stuff at auction for you.
He recently did a eight person group buy on Browning safes

It's truly worth your time to find yourself a good dealer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I do most of my transactions online, too.  I worry sometimes because I've seen a lot of gun stores go out of business in recent years, and we need them in order to do FFL transfers.   Every time a store closes, that's another FFL that you can't use for transfers.  What happens if we wind up without access to FFL's?

You have a real valid point there...

I just got home from my FFL dealer's house. Guy called the dealer up last night, said he hit some hard times and needs to unload two rifles. Dealer calls me says Guy has an AK, am I interested? Suuure buddy  So, I get there and come to find out Guy HAD a DPMS AR (bought a month ago for $1K) and he already sold it "back". Gunstore he sold it to, was where he originally bought it, and they gave him $300 for it. Yes, Three Hundred dollars... one month after they sold it to him for One Thousand Dollars, plus tax. Gun was still mint. Thats one hell of an expensive rental!

The dealer did not force him to sell the gun back for $300!  He could have walked away and tried to sell it elsewhere.

I don't care if this place goes outta business. I kinda hope it does!

I understand it's pretty hard to get a dealer FFL if you don't have a storefront. Which brings me to my point...  Find the mom and pops, or the guy doing transfers from his home. They don't have the overhead and often do it just to cover their cost of ammo etc... Fellow enthusiasts not looking to get rich on our backs. (or to steal from people)

FFL's have become much harder to get recently.  If I'm not mistaken, "kitchen table FFL's" have been shut down (not sure if existing FFL's are grandfathered) for the most part.

There are a few good guys left out there. I found my dealer listed at Gunbroker. You can also locate people by asking in the Hometown type forums for your area. Find one good guy, build a relationship, and stick with him.

I have a couple of honest dealers locally that I use, but I've noticed that they're not doing so good in recent years.  It's only a matter of time before they start closing shop to move on to more profitable ventures.  Chances are that most of them will NOT be replaced with another FFL.

Don't deal with shitty shops. Go out of your way to find and support the good ones, it's the latter which we really need to keep around.

Agreed.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I picked up a like new, Para-Ord Tac Four with 2 factory 13rd mags for $525 out the door last year.  Every now and then, a shop near my work has some deals.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Dennys is a cool store to visit.
Lots of arms to look at and kinda helpful/friendly staff although he did sell me an RRA stripped lower for $148 after taxes...ouch.

I had to buy it cause I felt I needed to support the small business man. God I hate being a republican!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#39]
We have some pretty good ones here. One does a lot of consignments so you get some great deals. Today my brother bought a Colt Python for $500. Awile back I bought a LNIB glock 19 w/ 3 mags for $400. Since those were on consignment there was no sales tax either. Another shop does $10 transfers and another recently had IMI 5.56 30rnd boxes for $3.99.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't like the gun stores around my house all that much.  There is one that treats me well, their guns are too expensive, but after they realized that I'm a repeat customer, they have always given me a fair (not the best, not the worst....just palatable).  I got a G17 ordered for $500.  Like I said, not the greatest price, but it was close enough to just tell them what I wanted, pay for it, and come back and pick it up (I feel that the extra $ they earned by taking the headache out of my head).  The other gun store I despise.  Their prices are too high (they wanted $550 for the same G17...and wouldn't negotiate.  Their used guns are almost the price that I think NIB guns should be.  They have a nice selection of pistols, but their 1911s are WAY over priced.  They have a few EBRs, but when they are close to the $1k range....I steer clear.  You should be able to pick up a stock, NIB EBR for around $750-$800.  If they want my business here is what they need to do.  Get more EBR stuff.....like surefire G2's.  If they had those, I'd buy a few.  The only store that sells those is about a 40 minute drive, and I'm not going to spend $10 on gas to go there for a $30 flashlight.  They need to get a good selection of high quality EBR parts (stocks, sights, rails, etc).  If they had those, I'd be in there all the damn time, but they don't.  *sigh*  Anyhow....the shipping off the EE I just equate to tax here.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#41]
local is the way for me!  I buy just don't kick tires!

I just bought a Walther P-38 AC all matching ser # with war eagles 359 and no import or russian capture markings!

With matching P-38 ,359 mag!!

For 450.00 out the door!!!

When I bought it I saw a Pietro-beretta mod 75 (in .22lr)with a six inch barrel(called a jauguar)I told my local Pawn dealer to hold it for me!!

I say if you buy enough from a local they will lower the price ,cause they know you are a player!!!

Same as when you go to a gun show(first thing buy an ammo can)it's only 5.00 bucks and you can never have too many!!

Plus you have an ammo can(means you are a buyer)The dealers will give you a better look and deal because you have spent money!!!

The gun shows and shops are looking for dummies(but are looking to sell also)so if you show signs that you have bought(the ammo-can)and that you know what they are selling and what you will pay(cash) you will be suprised what  you can buy the last day of the show!!

I was totally pissed when I saw a Beretta Mil edition engraved for 399.00  and I had no  money to buy it!!!!!!!

Buy an ammo can first (try it you'll like it)!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I guess Miami is the exception.

When I go the gunshops the rifle racks are packed with EBR's, AK's, 1919's, Fifty cals, and the occasional shotgun. Of course, there are bad gun shops in Miami which cater almost exclusively to the Elmer Fudds.

Gun Shop list required

You can exclude P*ntera.  Had to FFL two handguns from NY, they came in the same box and he charged me for each one.  Can't complain too much since I neglected to specifically ask beforehand.  $91 to pick up the two guns.

I ASSumed it would be one charge, then he said "Yeah, but I've had people send me twenty guns".
One point for the dealer.

I then asked "Well how about an exception this time for me?"  (since this wasn't the first time I had done a transfer thru him).
No.  One point for me.

Me:  "Well how about a 'Up to three' type of thing"
No. Another point for me.

Me: Later on - "You sure?"
Positive.  Another point for me.

Three strikes - he's out.

So lets see that cool list ya gots .

Edit:  The NY FFL (which interestingly enough I found thru GunBroker) charged me $60 for both guns, shipped and insured
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#43]
After a bunch of BS from a couple gun stores over here (overpriced and elitist, or just an asshole employee giving bad, unsolicited advice)  I'll go there just to figure out what I want, then I'll go to my friend/FFL and have him special order whatever I want.

Customer service, and overpricing is what's driven me from gun stores here... Except Irvington Arms in Fremont - Martin's a great guy!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#44]
I find the owners/employees of gun stores to be typical gun people. They are rude, arrogant assholes who think they know everything about firearms/shooting and you know nothing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I see a lot of dealers on here complain, sometimes rightfully, that they can't compete in todays market.

Honestly the gun market is one of the LAST to be hit by "online" marketing.

Not many businesses maintain inventory beyond basic levels, or try and even compete by serving as a middle man.  Not one to tell someone how to do their job, but I think bulk ammo, decent ordering policies, transfers are will what gun owners look for in the future.

Ordering some guns you might "think" will move and trying to make money off setting the price yourself probably will not work.  To many people can figure out how much the materials and labor the factory put into the gun and will bitch at you.  Go with a flat markup rate after ordering it for them specifically.  I'd order anything they wanted.  Try and make up in volumn and on other services than by turning people off.

99.9% of ARFCOM dealers know this...just more of a rant/monday morning quaterbacking/talking out my ass
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't get me wrong. . . I have a few gunshops that I frequent that have a good selection; decent prices; and knowledgeable staff, but that seems to be the exception not the norm.

For instance, I stopped in a shop today on my way home to look at some UZI mags.  He had one IMI marked 25 rd (marked $50?) and one IMI star marked Lyttleton? 25 rd (marked for $35?).

I thought it was dirt cheap and he wrote $5.00 and $3.50 and asked him how much for both he said $60.  I responded with a polite, "No thanks" and walked out.  I know I can get UZI mags for $25 each and that seems to be on the high side.

I know it's hard to compete with the internet, but I've met quite a few dealers that wouldn't even budge on their price.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Gun shops sell guns that the average gun owner buys, and the average gun owner doen't buy AR15s.

EE is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Exact opposite here. I have a great gun shop. They had the same deal as the ARFCOM SEBR and cheap ammo.

The gun shows here are either selling crap or selling at a high price to suckers.

I don't do shows anymore.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Sometimes you find some good deals I suppose. A gunshop on the way home from work had a used HK USP Compact 9mm with 2 13 round mags and Trijicon sights already installed for $550. I couldn’t even tell that it was used.

When I offered them an $1100 gun in trade to get the USP and some cash, they offered me $100 back. I was like uhh are you looking at the right listing? This is a $1300 or so gun brand new. The guy told me it was correct and MSRP is $1600! They had an Arsenal semi auto AK47 with an underfolding stock and black furniture for $1600 … all I could think, is good luck! They do have a good assortment of EBRs, including some JLD HK clones!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I am currently waiting on a handgun I bought in the EE. If all goes well, I may just do all my shopping in there from now on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top