Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2006 7:11:23 PM EDT

If I know I'm going to die a painful death from cancer or some other illness why can't I die the way I want too?

What does the government get out regulating / disallowing this?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Because, they think they know better than you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Well...besides that weak argument.  Don't mean to stomp on your answer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I find it interesting that the people who are claiming that the Feds should control your life right up to, and including, the end are "conservatives" who claim to be interested in getting government out of people's lives.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny how they worry about adults, but it doesn't seem to bother them that millions of babies are killed that can't choose.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
They don't, they object to you letting someone ELSE do it for you. If YOU want to do it, it ain't all that darn hard. And quite frankly, since they started this in, I believe, Sweden, the Doc or family can make that decision to pop you off now. Good riddance to $$$$$ of treatment.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just Scalia, Thomas and Roberts, apparently.  

(..or perhaps I misunderstood the SCOTUS ruling - I'm certianly not a law expert )
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They don't, they object to you letting someone ELSE do it for you. If YOU want to do it, it ain't all that darn hard. And quite frankly, since they started this in, I believe, Sweden, the Doc or family can make that decision to pop you off now. Good riddance to $$$$$ of treatment.

Well if I choose to end it because of an illness that's terminal and very painful, why should the Doc be punished for giving me the means to do it.

Hell I wouldn't want to use one of my bang sticks.  That would make one hell of a mess for some one else to clean up.

ETA: My parents and brothers know that if I end up a tomato with proof from the medical examinations they can pull the plug.  Or trip over it on the way out the door.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Because suicide is a sin.  Same reason I can't buy alcohol on Sunday.  Separation of church and state, my ass.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hell I wouldn't want to use one of my bang sticks.  That would make one hell of a mess for some one else to clean up.

You can do it outside.

But it would also add another to the antis' BS "gun deaths" stats.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

And quite frankly, since they started this in, I believe, Sweden, the Doc or family can make that decision to pop you off now. Good riddance to $$$$$ of treatment.

Yes - in Scandinavia, we kill old people as soon as they get annoying or inconvenient.  

Are you serious??
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Committing suicide by your own action is one thing.

Legally allowing another to kill you is a totally different beast.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And quite frankly, since they started this in, I believe, Sweden, the Doc or family can make that decision to pop you off now. Good riddance to $$$$$ of treatment.

Yes - in Scandinavia, we kill old people as soon as they get annoying or inconvenient.  

Are you serious??

I can't remember exactly which country it was, but I thought it was Sweden, maybe it was Holland on second thought,  but I am serious. The family can make the determination and so can the Dr.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Committing suicide by your own action is one thing.

Legally allowing another to kill you is a totally different beast.

I though the Oregon law was about allowing doctors to give you the drugs.

I'm not sure I see the precise line between a doctor giving me a bottle of pills, that I then swallow, or injecting an overdose of morphine into my vein at my direction.  I mean, I understand the physical distinction, obviously, but I'm not sure I see the meanigful one.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#14]
i thought they hooked you up to an IV with the deadly chemicals, then the patient had to push the button to release the fluid, so it was actually the patient who was killing him/herself.  the doctor just provided the means to do it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
i thought they hooked you up to an IV with the deadly chemicals, then the patient had to push the button to release the fluid, so it was actually the patient who was killing him/herself.  the doctor just provided the means to do it.

Yeah see I don't really know the exact details of how this law provides for "assissted" suicide.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Because suicide is a sin.  Same reason I can't buy alcohol on Sunday.  Separation of church and state, my ass.

You do recognize that all laws are derived from the religion, right?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#17]
The only question a Federal court should decide is if the Federal Government (of which the Supreme Court is a part) has any say in the matter.

I beleive assissted suicide falls neatly under the heading of "reserved Police Power of the States."
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

seatbelt laws?  turn signal laws?  smoking in public laws(damn californians)?  banning firearms based upon asthetics?

not in the bible or koran last I heard
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

What the fuck are you talking about?  I buy alcohol every Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Assisted suicide gets out of hand when 13 year old kids want to die because their girlfriend dumped them, when Joe says, "My wife told me she wanted to commit suicide so I shot her", when mentally unstable people feel they must die, etc.

I wish this much time and energy was devoted to life.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the fuck are you talking about?  I buy alcohol every Sunday.

can't do it in CO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Why does the .gov refuse to let one choose the way they die?  

DUh.   Because you're obviously a stupid peasant who can't think for yourself. Luckily the government is here to protect you from yourself.

Like most everything these days...it's about control.

(But today they apparently got one right. Whodathunkit?)
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Just go rent a Viper in Vegas, and have one hell of a last drive.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Assisted suicide gets out of hand when 13 year old kids want to die because their girlfriend dumped them, when Joe says, "My wife told me she wanted to commit suicide so I shot her", when mentally unstable people feel they must die, etc.

That's why the Oregon law requires:

(A) physicians to certify that the patient only has 6 months or less to live - i.e. "terminal"
(B) physicians to certify that the patient is in control of the mental faculties

Multiple physicians have to be invovled and have to make those determinations.

- teenagers wanting to kill themselves don't fall under the law
- mentally unstable people don't fall under the law
- people choosing to "assist" someone to die on their own don't fall under the law
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Funny how they worry about adults, but it doesn't seem to bother them that millions of babies are killed that can't choose.

wtf does this have to do with killing babies???
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I just figured they don't really care... but no one wants to go on record as saying its cool...   they do have to get re-elected you know..

kissing babies gets you elected ..
killing babies gets you elected ...

leting an old man/woman die... well thats just mean.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Underage kids are not full citizens.  They cannot give their consent to sex and cannot vote.  Why should this be any different?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL  That's the funnies thing I've read all year!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL  That's the funnies thing I've read all year!

+1
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious??

You know, that was kind of an annoying statement.

How old are you again?

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

seatbelt laws?  turn signal laws?  smoking in public laws(damn californians)?  banning firearms based upon asthetics?

not in the bible or koran last I heard

Suicide laws are directly derived from the bible.  The others you cherry picked have peripheral association with religious issues: seatbelt, turn signal, even smoking are safety issues (do unto your brother...).  Anything against firearms: thou shall not kill (actually murder).

ETA: Have any of you guys taken any admin of justice classes?  Or do you simply argue issues that you have no education in?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

ETA: Have any of you guys taken any admin of justice classes?  Or do you simply argue issues that you have no education in?

I've learned on arfcom that it is MUCH easier to argue if I know nothing of what I am talking about, and instead just assume that what I want to believe must be correct.  Saves a lot of time.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Ten Commandments sculpture at SCOTUS.  

Coincidence?  I think not.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Ten Commandments sculpture at SCOTUS.  

bbsnews.net/bbsn_images_2005/northside_scotus.jpg

Coincidence?  I think not.

Why is the greatest commandment of the Bible not codified in US law?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I'm not a religious scholar, but my belief is that any sin is seen as equally bad by God.

What do you consider to be the greatest commandment?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not a religious scholar, but my belief is that any sin is seen as equally bad by God.

What do you consider to be the greatest commandment?

You claim that all laws are derived from the biblical commandments yet you don't know those commandments?

The greatest commandment according to Jesus is "Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, soul, mind, strength, etc..." which is just a rephrasal of "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

So who is the one making statements based on incomplete knowledge?

eta: = take this in a constructive manner.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It really has to do with the fixation on death as a solution to problems.  
There is a document we used to use a long time ago that established our government for several reasons including to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.
I don't see how government promoted abortion and suicide fits in here.  Do you?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Underage kids are not full citizens.  They cannot give their consent to sex and cannot vote.  Why should this be any different?

Don't worry, in time all of these things will be legal and accepted.  The slippery slope has been stepped on again and again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

You claim that all laws are derived from the biblical commandments yet you don't know those commandments?

The greatest commandment according to Jesus is "Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, soul, mind, strength, etc..." which is just a rephrasal of "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

As I said, I'm not a religious scholar.  I knew what you were referring to.

Since you seem a bit limited, I'll make this simple:

I did not say that all of the Ten Commandments had been codified into US law.  As you should know, the First Amendment precludes government from establishing religion.  So, in light of that, the Founding Fathers would be hard pressed to propose such a law.

I would suggest reading the Federal Papers.  You will see how important religion was to the FF, and how it guided their work on the Constitution.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It really has to do with the fixation on death as a solution to problems.  
There is a document we used to use a long time ago that established our government for several reasons including to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.
I don't see how government promoted abortion and suicide fits in here.  Do you?

How is this promotion?  If Roe v Wade is ever reversed, it will likely be done in on the similar grounds that abortion laws are a matter properly left to the states.  They should have the choice of banning or not banning them.  The overwhelming majority of states will then NOT pass bans of their own, thus preserving the practice in most of the country.   Would that be promotion of abortion by the fed gov as well?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't see what's so hard about this. If you die too soon, they make less money off of you! They can't bill you at the hospital, the government can't tax you and they are hoping you won't have your affairs in order (which you likely would if you were going to end it) so they can slam your surviving relatives with more taxes. It is not about religion or playing god or whatever! It's about money, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As I said, I'm not a religious scholar.  I knew what you were referring to.

Since you seem a bit limited, I'll make this simple:

I did not say that all of the Ten Commandments had been codified into US law.  As you should know, the First Amendment precludes government from establishing religion.  So, in light of that, the Founding Fathers would be hard pressed to propose such a law.

I would suggest reading the Federal Papers.  You will see how important religion was to the FF, and how it guided their work on the Constitution.

I have read many of the Federalist Papers.  I know full well it guided their work on the Constitution.  So did Roman law, British tradition, and a host of other things.  That does not mean that they based the Constitution literally on the Bible.  That is what many of the colonies did before the Revolution.

The Bible was once a guide for the American moral code. The law is a reflection of the moral code.

And you'll excuse me if I fail to take being called "limited" by a self-styled Southern California JBT as an insult.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Over here we had a euthenasia debate, where one territory allowed it, and the Federal govt overruled it. The some terminally ill woman wanted to off herself, and a pro-euthenasia doctor/activist supplied the knowhow and equipment. She claimed that she was terminally ill, and wanted to die with dignaty. Well, after much huffing and puffing, she did it, and people were charged (and got off or a suspended sentance I think). The autopsy found that there was nothing wrong with her.

If you want to off yourself, go right ahead, you can talk it over with God when you're finished. Just don't expect anyone to help you. It is a short and slipery slope from assisted suicide to encouraged and assisted suicide. I remember reading about Holland allowing the doctor and the family to make the decision. A person doesn't even need to be sick. I reckon that it's an abomination.

A summary: www.internationaltaskforce.org/hollaw.htm

International Task Force
on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide

Holland's Euthanasia Law

On April 10, 2001, a Dutch law permitting both euthanasia and assisted suicide was approved. That law which went to effect on April 1, 2002, is summarized below:

Due Care is required

Requires that the physician "has terminated a life or assisted suicide with due care." [Chapter II, Article 2, 1,f.] This requirement – that the procedure be carried out in a medically appropriate fashion – transforms the crimes of euthanasia and assisted suicide into medical treatments.
Specifically allows euthanasia for incompetent patients.  Persons 16 years old and older can make an advance "written statement containing a request for termination of life" which the physician may carry out. [Chapter II, Article 2, 2.] The written statement need not be made in conjunction with any particular medical condition. It could be a written statement made years before, based upon views that may have changed.  The physician could administer euthanasia based on the prior written statement.
Teenagers 16 to 18 years old may request and receive euthanasia or assisted suicide. A parent or guardian must "have been involved in decision process," but need not agree or approve. [Chapter II, Article 2, 3]
Children 12 to 16 years old may request and receive euthanasia or assisted suicide. A parent or guardian must "agree with the termination of life or the assisted suicide." [Chapter II, Article 2, 4]
A person may qualify for euthanasia or assisted suicide if the doctor "holds the conviction that the patient's suffering is lasting and unbearable." [Chapter II, Article 2, 1b]  There is no requirement that the suffering be physical or that the the patient be terminally ill.
Oversight is by non-judicial committees

All oversight of euthanasia and assisted suicide will be done by a "Regional Review Committee for Termination of Life on Request and Assisted Suicide" after the death of the patient. [Chapter III}

Each regional committee will be made up of at least 1 legal specialist, 1 physician and 1 expert on ethical or philosophical issues. [ Chapter III, Article 3, 2}
An expert in "philosophical issues" is one who has expertise regarding the "discussion on the prerequisites for a meaningful life." [Chapter III, Article 3, 2, fn 1]
Change in burden of proof

Under the prior practice of euthanasia in Holland, the "burden of proof" was on the physician to justify the termination of life. The change in the law shifts the burden of proof to the prosecutor who will be required to show that the termination of life did not meet the requirements of due care. The prosecutor will not receive information about any euthanasia death unless it is forwarded by a Regional Committee. [Chapter III, Articles 9 and 10]

Residency not required

The prospect of "euthanasia tourism" exists. Although public relations statements about the law have claimed that only Dutch residents will be able to receive euthanasia or assisted suicide, the law does not prohibit doctors from administering euthanasia to non-residents.

Holland's euthanasia law
Text of Dutch Law.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
If I know I'm going to die a painful death from cancer or some other illness why can't I die the way I want too?

What does the government get out regulating / disallowing this?

I hear the US army is looking for new recruits.

1-800-GO ARMY
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Death with dignity, phooey.  Why not "death with dynamite".  How about skydiving without a parachute?
If your terminal, why not make your final exit at terminal velocity?  Very fucked up that all the advocates can't even off themselves, and need the "state" to do it for them nice and neat.  Sack up, and eat a pistol or a knife if you want out that bad.  Killing yourself in a nice, clean way is better for your family than leaving a mess?  Please.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well if I choose to end it because of an illness that's terminal and very painful, why should the Doc be punished for giving me the means to do it.

ETA: My parents and brothers know that if I end up a tomato with proof from the medical examinations they can pull the plug.  Or trip over it on the way out the door.

Bah. Just zip yourself up in a sleeping bag in the bathtub, put some bags of ice in with you, leave a note so somebody finds you before you're a stinky mess. Then just eat a crapload of pills, drink some booze to get everything going, and a glass of milk to top it off and keep you from puking/getting cramps. Assuming you don't puke or shit yourself, the paramedics and coroner will have very little to do when they come to claim the body.

Or, just grow some fucking balls and deal with it because only cowards kill themselves rather than face whatever shit life throws at them. If life gives you lemons, wing 'em right back and add a few of your own. The universe can try all it likes to kill me, but I'm not making things any easier for it.

Besides, legalizing assisted suicide would start a slippery slope- well, grandma's got cancer and she's not going to be around much longer anyway, so why not... Darn, he's been in a coma ever since the car wreck and is likely to be a vegetable if he ever does wake up. Hrm, continue paying hospital bill or... Pretty soon they'd be able to off you without you having any say in it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#48]
They haven't had time to inact the "Early Departure Tax".
I'm sure they are working on it though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:31:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Bah. Just zip yourself up in a sleeping bag in the bathtub, put some bags of ice in with you, leave a note so somebody finds you before you're a stinky mess. Then just eat a crapload of pills, drink some booze to get everything going, and a glass of milk to top it off and keep you from puking/getting cramps. Assuming you don't puke or shit yourself, the paramedics and coroner will have very little to do when they come to claim the body.

some of these people are so ill and bedridden that they physically are unable to kill themselves.  kind of hard to zip yourself up in a sleeping bag in the bathtub if you can't get out of bed in the first place.

Or, just grow some fucking balls and deal with it because only cowards kill themselves rather than face whatever shit life throws at them. If life gives you lemons, wing 'em right back and add a few of your own. The universe can try all it likes to kill me, but I'm not making things any easier for it.

ok, you're tough, we understand.  if you had terminal metastatic cancer i'm sure you'd want to go through with it to the bitter end.  but some of us would prefer not to, and we'd like the freedom to make that decision ourselves.

Besides, legalizing assisted suicide would start a slippery slope- well, grandma's got cancer and she's not going to be around much longer anyway, so why not... Darn, he's been in a coma ever since the car wreck and is likely to be a vegetable if he ever does wake up. Hrm, continue paying hospital bill or... Pretty soon they'd be able to off you without you having any say in it.

that's a load of BS and you know it.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Physician assisted suicide is just wrong on so many levels.

It will turn out to be just another excuse for insurance carriers to raise YOUR rates, because of all the freakin' lawsuits brought by the families who just happened to change their minds after the deed is done.
Ambulance chasing attorneys will turn into Hearse chasin' attorneys, especially when little Johnny or Janey finds out that they were cut out of the will, after the "dearly-departed was allowed to peacefully go".
And don't try to kid yourself into thinking it won't happen , because you know damn rootin-tootin' that's exactly what will happen...then you'll all be posting threads bitchin' and moanin' about getting the letter from your insurance carrier that your rates just doubled.

PAS is also a slippery slope. Once you get used to having this law on the books, its only a matter of time before we start hearing of family members finding a judge to sign over Grandad's power of attorney...."Yeah he's old, and that's too big of a house for him....let's give him the needle before he spends our inheritance on his medicine. Kids start packin', we're movin' back to the ol'home place"

And what happens when you get a lousy doctor, who is either too incompetent or too busy to treat your loved one properly: " Sorry folks, I've tried everything I know....its time to put Uncle Bill down".

What do you think will happen to medical research, like cancer or Alzheimer's. You'll probably see it grind to a screeching halt because why should a company put that much money into finding a cure when it would just be easier to give the patient "the needle" and be done with it.

This all started from a small vocal minority who's apparently too chickenshit to eat a bullet and leave the rest of us alone.
Ya'know what?....quit screwin' up everybody else's life by being a coward. If you want to kill yourself , then make your death useful.....take a badguy with you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top