Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/13/2006 4:25:21 PM EDT
I don't have much to do at work. On an average 8 hour day I have maybe about 2 hours worth of work, and a large portion of that is spent on conference calls. On a really busy day I have maybe 5-6 hours worth of work to do. Once in a while I have to work on a weekend, but that is pretty rare. Yep, I'm generally bored as hell at work, and if I told you what I was makin' you'd probably shit.

Anyone else have a job like this?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
is your company hiring???

EPOCH

ETA: j/k
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
actually I'm "working" right now, and my job makes yours look like slave labor
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
As a college student network admin, I get paid to do a lot of homework.  I only have to do actual work about once a month, and then only for a few hours.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I should try find out who your boss is and send him a link.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I should try find out who your boss is and send him a link.

good luck with that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I am busy at work this time if year,but the summer is long days of surfing the web
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Had the same kind of job,  then someone else realized it...

Long story short my income went from $26.50 hr to 11.75 hr

My advice just dont look bored.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I justify my idle-ness with this simple mantra:

"I'm not paid for what I do... I am paid for what I may be called upon to do"

'Fortunately I'm not called upon to do much
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#9]
My job is the same way, I'm a plant supervisor at a factory, I don't do a damn thing and get paid well for it.muhahahahahahahmuhahahahah
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]
My pay is based on what others do.
So maybe I have you beat.

(of course, I have to motivate them,discipline them, babysit them, hire them ad fire them, etc...)
So maybe you have me beat.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#11]
My job is pretty easy most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I suspect that most people in America have that kind of job these days.  It's one of the things that makes me worry for the future of our economy.

We are all paying one another to look busy.  We creat nothing other than fast food, and bureaucracy.

I am no exception.  I get paid to turn precious fuel into noise and pollution, sit around in hotels, and sample the fine culinary offerings throughout this great Nation.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m at the opposite end of the spectrum - I work my ass off, non-stop, for at least ten hours each day.  I’m often doing two things at once, with one or two other tasks in queue.  hinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#14]
From October to March my Job is about 4hrs of work a day.   From April to September I work 65hrs a week.   So its pretty even, if you don't like summer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't have a job, but get paid well.

Beat that.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I did.  I basically had nothing to do except tolerate the personality of my supervisor, and he was usually gone for more than half the day.  Otherwise, I had nothing really to do and was by myself 5-6 hours a day.  The only down part was that I wasn't allowed to use the computer/internet for anything not related to work, but I was planning on getting a laptop with a wireless modem to get around that.

The owners figured my wage was out of whack with my work, sacked me, and I saw my job advertised in the classifieds a few weeks later at a wage 25% less than what they paid me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Not even.  Programing outdoor modems for wireless DSL seems like relaxing and fucking off...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Hey Red converting coffee to urine takes time!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I work for a very generous, kind hearted, well paying & considerate pro firearm owning employer ....................
ME !
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I spend entire days playing PS2 and watching DVD's, but then again I also spend the night at work when it's busy.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Some days I do, others I dont.  It depends, right now Im so behind its sickening.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I'm a college student and am on break.  Not getting paid either.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to be very overpaid.  

Now, I am only about 33% overpaid.

As far as how hard I work, sometimes it is nonstop no lunch on your feet 12 hours.  Othertimes I play games on my cell phone and BS with the ladies.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I get paid for 8 hrs a day but work maybe 4.  Life is good.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Beat that.

You either deal drugs are on welfare or disability. Nothing to be proud of either way.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#27]
FFL.

According to the internet I only do a little paperwork and get paid MILLIONS.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beat that.

You either deal drugs are on welfare or disability. Nothing to be proud of either way.

nope,try again.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I don't have much to do at work. On an average 8 hour day I have maybe about 2 hours worth of work, and a large portion of that is spent on conference calls. On a really busy day I have maybe 5-6 hours worth of work to do. Once in a while I have to work on a weekend, but that is pretty rare. Yep, I'm generally bored as hell at work, and if I told you what I was makin' you'd probably shit.

Anyone else have a job like this?

been workin for bout 20 years. and i have to tell ya. if i had your job, unless i could retire, i would be scared. i've seen more than a few persons with that job description shown the door due to downsizing, mergers, cost cutting and anything else that comes with bad and/or lean times. most never saw it comin either...

eta. unless you work for the gov and have one of the higher payin jobs...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
+1

(federal civil service)

+2

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I was a parking lot attendant. Sorty busy in the summer, but in the fall (when nobody parked in our lot, at all), basically I got paid $9.00 an hour to sit in an air conditioned/heated shed and watch TV, listen to radio, do whatever I wanted etc.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Keep in mind as you read these stories that I earn a wage that puts me easily into the top one percent income bracket.

I have had several jobs like that. One company employed me for an entire year. My sole function was to come in once a week and get my time card signed.

Another company sent me on vacation for over three months. Then, when they brought me back, they boosted my rate to time and a half -- still with nothing to do.

Another company (ARCO) was using zero-based budgeting so if the departments didn't spend all their budget then they lost it for the coming year. They had one woman go on maternitry leave near the end of the year so they paid me to keep her chair warm. No duties, other than to accept the check on a weekly basis.  It got boring just sitting around so I asked them for something to do. It turned out they also had $25,000 left over in their software budget so they sent me and an employee down to the local software store with a check for 25Gs, with instructions to spend it all -- whatever.  We got one or two of just about everything in the store. (This was back when 25Gs was still a lot of money.) I spent the rest of my time there playing with the software and telling them if any of it was useful. None of it was useful.

I worked a job at Universal Studios where I supported the system that keeps tracks of all the food they sell. It had about one problem a week and, invariably, the problem was so complicated that I couldn't do anything about it, so we wound up sending everything to the people who built the system. I got about one call to work per week, which invariably ended in about half an hour.  I bought myself a year-round pass to Universal Studios and spent most of the time enjoying the amusement park.

I had another job at ARCO where I did the work in about two weeks and then spent four months doing nothing waiting for them to test it. They never did test it.

I also had a four-month job at Honda that required about three weeks of actual work. I went into the office about once a week.

I have had several jobs where I completed my work in a relatively short period of time and then sat around doing nothing for months, waiting for others to test it.

I got paid to have free lunches in a major chain of restaurants as a secret shopper. I can put it away, too.

Then there was the Army . . . . .

One of my favorites:

I went to work at a major mortgage company once. They called me and said they needed me immediately. I said fine, I was wrapping up another project and I would be there Monday.

They said that they had so much work to do that Monday would never do. I had to be there the next day (Wednesday) or they would get someone else. I was at the end of my other project, so I went to my current employers, made sure it was a graceful exit, and reported to work at the mortgage company.

I got there and they didn't even have a place for me to sit. No computer, no desk, and not even a chair. They put me in a straightback chair sitting in the hallway all day, with everyone walking by. This went on for about two weeks. They finally got me a computer and a place to sit, but still no work to do.

So I went walking around the office and saw this big stack of paper sitting next to my boss' desk. "What's that?" I asked.

"Those are change requests," he said.

My immediate thought was that this was good news because change requests meant that there would be a lot of work to do for a long time. "Is there anything in there I can do?" I asked.

"We don't know, yet," he said. "Nobody has reviewed them."

"Well, how about if I review them? Maybe I could just look through the stack and find something to do."

"No, you can't do that," he said. "They have to be entered into the system first."

"OK," I said. "How about if I enter them into the system for you? It will help me get familiar with what you need."

"No, we can't do that," he said. "They have to be reviewed by a supervisor first."

"Ok," I said. "Is there anything I can do to help the supervisors review them? Maybe I can separate them into stacks, small, medium, and large, or something."

"No, only a supervisor can do that," he said.

"OK," I said. "I give up."

A little while later I saw some people working on another system -- apparently with a lot to do. I went to my boss and told him "Hey, I am proficient in that other system. If you have some work to do on that system, I can help out with it."

"No," he said, "Those guys know that system, but they don't know the system we want you to work on, so we are saving you for the other system."

"Where's my work for the other system?" I asked.

"It's over there in that pile of change requests beside my desk," he said.

In this period of time, about six weeks had gone by, and I had not done even ten minutes of work.

Then I was walking around the office one day and I overheard him talking about a user complaint. It seems the system had one of these things that popped up a snappy quote every time they started the system for the day. You know, something like "All that glitters is not gold." The users were complaining because there were only three quotes in the system and they got bored seeing the same ones all the time.

So I went to my boss and I told him that I could get Bartlett's Familiar Quotations and enter a bunch of quotations. It was a small task, it didn't require any approvals or change requests or anything, and it would keep me busy.

He said OK, but told me to be careful because there was one particular user out there who was a real nutcase about anything sexual or risque. I said OK, and promised him that I would sit down with him and go through them individually before we put them out to the field -- just to make sure that everything was as he wanted it.

I went through Bartlett's and put in every quote that would fit in the allotted space -- maybe 4,000 quotes. All of them were entirely clean, with no hint of sex. Many of them were sardonic, but they were clean. Then I got to one of them by Rodney Dangerfield that I thought was a wobbler -- "If it wasn't for pickpockets, I wouldn't have any sex life at all."

I thought it over and thought, what the hell, I was going to review it with the boss, anyway. So I put it in, with the idea in mind that it would probably be deleted on review, but we would have a good laugh when we did.

I got done with this and went to my boss and told him I was ready to review them. He said OK, he would get back to me. A few days went by. Then I walked in one day and he said, "We moved your quotations into production today."

"What?" I said, rather surprised. "I thought we were going to review them."

"I didn't have time," he said.

"Well, did you look at them yourself?" I asked.

"I didn't have time," he said.

Ooooooops, I thought to myself. This wasn't good. Then I thought it over. I had put in literally thousands of quotations. They could boot up the system for the next ten years and not see the same quotation twice. What are the odds that they will ever see this one?

So when does this thing pop up?  First day. The nutty user went ballistic.

About a week later, I was getting ready for work one morning when my boss called me at home. "You don't have to come into work today," he said.

"OK," I said. I wasn't particularly surprised. I wasn't doing anything, anyway. "How about tomorrow?"

"Uh, you don't have to come in tomorrow, either," he said.

"OK," I said, "how about the next day?"

"Uuuh, uuuh, uuuh, " he said, "You don't have to come in again at all."

"OK, so you are terminating the contract?" I asked.

"Uuuh, uuuh, uuuh, yeah " he said.

"Can I ask why?" I asked.

"We don't like the way you write code," he said.

"I didn't write any code," I said.

"Well, that doesn't matter," he said, and hung up.  I had been there for almost three months.

I have lots more stories like these.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#33]
@ Wolfman97

Do you get these jobs by luck, or do you have some sort of system planned out to get you these sweet positions?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#34]
What did everyone do at work before the internet?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I sit and watch monitors for most of the day.  When a coworker is there, I talk to them about all sorts of random stuff.  I make fun of people who don't know I'm watching them.  I laugh at the dumb shit people do when they think no one is looking.  Even with all this, our Loss Prevention group is in the top 5 in the company (over 800 stores).

There are times that I have to do important things like apprehend shoplifters, investigate employee theft, etc. but the majority of my time is spent sitting in a little office watching security monitors.  I make myself useful by fixing things around the office and doing random tasks through the building... mainly because I'm bored and a handyman can't leave things broken.

It is basically hours of boredom followed by a few seconds of adrenaline when we actually get to detain someone.  I actually enjoy my job most of the time.

I am a college student and I'm majoring in management.  It looks like I will have a guaranteed Loss Prevention Manager job right out of college with loads of opportunity to move up as high as I want to, so I'm sticking with this company.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#36]
www.killsometime.com/Video/video.asp?ID=332

He does.

Watch the whole thing....
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#37]
When I was a student I was paid about $18 an hour to wait in a car, staring at water by a beer company.
One of the ingredients of some of their special brews was spring water.
The security camera at the spring broke, so to stop some nut case poisoning the water I was hired to keep a watch.
Easiest work that I have ever done, pity that it was only for 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I don't have much to do at work. On an average 8 hour day I have maybe about 2 hours worth of work ...

... I'm the guy, that looks for folks like you, on our Lean projects
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:50:10 AM EDT
[#39]
There are days where I have 10 minutes worth of work.  There are days where my regular shift (8-12,1-5) isn't enough.

I work telco switching.  If the switch (bigass computer) is running fine, then there is not much to do. Standing phrase in telco is "Switchmen are paid for what they know not what they do."  

Simply put, if there is a crisis, you have to have someone with the ability to respond properly to minimize the down time.  Knowing the fastest best way to restore service & correct problems is worth alot to telcos.  Much of what I have to do is to prevent problems.

My situation is somewhat unique, I am the only guy in Michigan within the company that is qualifiied to work on several different switching platforms.  I get cover duty when others are away for vacations and such.  For some reason the company sees fit to station me in the least work in tensive exchange but I can be called upon (24/7) to go anywhere within 300 miles to work.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:05:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
@ Wolfman97

Do you get these jobs by luck, or do you have some sort of system planned out to get you these sweet positions?

It just seems to be luck.  I could go on with stories. I got lots of them.

Actually, all things considered, I think I would rather have something to do on most jobs. But, if someone tells me to take the check and not do anything -- they out-negotiated me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:09:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
<snip for brevity>

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:09:59 AM EDT
[#42]
I probably have about 3-4 hours of work to do each day out of my 8. My boss knows that, but corporate wants me here at least 50 hours a week. So... 60% of my salary is to sit here and stay on ARFCOM

I'm never going to hourly again!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:28:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip for brevity>

Lots of them are humorous. Like the time they sent me on vacation for a year.

It was at this company that makes offshore oil platforms. They had these huge 3D modeling computers that oil company engineers could use to construct an entire model of an offshore oil platform. Big things that cost big bucks. They would rent these computers out to Exxon and similar companies and charge them maybe ten million bucks a year.

Trouble was, they had no method of keeping track of actual usage. Therefore, if Exxon called them up and asked for a breakdown on the bill, they would have been stuck. It turned out they were just making up the billing numbers as they went along.  Therefore, they hired me to build a system that would collect the information and compile it into billing records.

I got my work done in about thirty days (working entirely at home) and went in to install it. Everything worked fine so I told them I was ready for real testing with the mainframe connected. They told me the mainframe connection wasn't hooked up and I would have to come back the next week.

I explained to them that I work on an hourly basis and I need to get paid for 40 hours, regardless of the work being done, or I would have to go somewhere else.  They said fine.

I came back the next week. The connection still wasn't there so they signed the time card and told me to come back the next week. Same thing again, for a few weeks. Then they guy who did the connections got sick and was out. Then when he got back he had catchup work to do and couldn't do what I needed.  Then he quit because he was overworked and they got a new guy who had to learn the system first.  And so on, and so forth, for an entire year.

During this time I mentioned to them that they were paying me and that it was a lot of money. Therefore, I said, I would be happy to do whatever other work they wanted me to do. They told me there was no other work and not to worry about it because, in the grand scheme of things, what they were paying me was nothing compared to what they would be losing if one of these companies asked for an accounting.

It went on like this for a year. Then, one day I walked into my boss' office and there was a new guy sitting behind the desk. "Who are you?" he asked.

I explained who I was.

"Oh," he said. "We aren't doing that project anymore." He signed my time card and that was the end of the project.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Many days I don't have much to do.  During those periods, I'm robbing my clients.  Then there are those periods when I and my staff are working until into the night, so I guess it evens out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Some times I get paid to sit on my ass and other I am busy for 12 hours straight with no breaks. It all depends on how much stuff our trained monkeys...........errr sorry, press operators can destroy during my shift. These past few weeks have been filled with massive amounts of stupidy performed by these highly paid but low skilled morons so I have had my hands full.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#46]
I wish.......
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Some times I get paid to sit on my ass and other I am busy for 12 hours straight with no breaks. It all depends on how much stuff our trained monkeys...........errr sorry, press operators can destroy during my shift. These past few weeks have been filled with massive amounts of stupidy performed by these highly paid but low skilled morons so I have had my hands full.

Same here. I have to be there in case something breaks. I am actually one of the few people where it's a GOOD thing I am not super busy, because it means that everthing is running.

When I'm busy, something's broke. Thanks to Lean, we have 0 inventory on hand, so if something breaks, we're into overtime to hit shipment. If it stays broke (because I can't find or we don't have the part) then we get into chartering airplanes. And THAT'S expensive....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Generally the same here.

Although when they do ask me to do stuff, it's generally a metric fuckton of stupid BS that makes absolutely no sense.

The schedule sucks too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Oh man I'm glad it's not just me with that problem. My situation is that I'm fresh out of college, and because I don't have a lot of job experience yet they can't give me a whole lot to do, mostly busy work.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#50]
I hate you all.
I bust my ass from the end of Feb thru July.60-70+ hr weeks.Never sit down.No OT,but comp.Lots of comp.Take fall off and hunt my ass off.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top