Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
No offense to you slackers out there, but if you do nothing for 1/3 of your life, why not switch to something more rewarding?  I can't imagine doing that the rest of my life, no matter the pay rate.

If I DID have a job with tons of free time, I'd use the free time to study something that would increase my marketability for when the inevitable happens.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No offense to you slackers out there, but if you do nothing for 1/3 of your life, why not switch to something more rewarding?  I can't imagine doing that the rest of my life, no matter the pay rate.

If I DID have a job with tons of free time, I'd use the free time to study something that would increase my marketability for when the inevitable happens.

Some very good advice............
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I’m at the opposite end of the spectrum - I work my ass off, non-stop, for at least ten hours each day.  I’m often doing two things at once, with one or two other tasks in queue.  

Oh, you work in non-pofit, so do I.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
When people ask what I do, I always say "Drive around and talk to people".

Sales is easy for some.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some times I get paid to sit on my ass and other I am busy for 12 hours straight with no breaks. It all depends on how much stuff our trained monkeys...........errr sorry, press operators can destroy during my shift. These past few weeks have been filled with massive amounts of stupidy performed by these highly paid but low skilled morons so I have had my hands full.

Same here. I have to be there in case something breaks. I am actually one of the few people where it's a GOOD thing I am not super busy, because it means that everthing is running.

When I'm busy, something's broke. Thanks to Lean, we have 0 inventory on hand, so if something breaks, we're into overtime to hit shipment. If it stays broke (because I can't find or we don't have the part) then we get into chartering airplanes. And THAT'S expensive....

Yeah, its a real joy having to ship parts from the east coast or europe to get these things running. We are heading towards zero inventory on spare parts so we have been spending a lot of time repairing the broken parts or making new ones when we can. My boss keeps telling the higher ups it is a good thing when the machinists and electricians are holding down a chair because it means the presses are running and making money. Of course they dont like that but oh well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Because with the extra time slacking off at work I get to make cool gun and motorcycle parts!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:51:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes. I am a receptionist and don't have much to do of a day besides answer phones (which I also do for free on my lunch break ). Sometimes I get to type up legal descriptions or other documents, run errands, duplicate reports/plans, and do odd jobs around the office. Most of the day I sit on Arfcom though. They have told me they want me to keep busy, but most of the time there is NOTHING to do. I used to do things like filing, and errands more often.

However, my lack of work problem has been compounded by the fact that they have hired THREE other administrative "assistants" who all work part time. These three women kinda do the same thing I do, except I sit at the receptionist desk all day and answer 99% of the calls. Many times there is nothing for them to do, besides boring ass filing. All three of them are incredibly undependable though. Two of these women have babies (one has a 1 year old and the other a 1 month old). You cannot count on any of them to be to work on time, or even sometimes to even be there. I have had to take a day off here and there for emergency reasons like sickness or to help watch my sister's baby in an emergency when my sister was sick, but I'm there every morning on time and I am consistently showing up every day.

However, when something needs to be done, they can count on me to do it. If it means staying an hour late to take something somewhere I do it. I always go out of my way after work to drop off any Fedex shipments if we have any that day. Last week, I had to go rescue one of our administrative assistants who was stranded on the freeway with a flat tire! I also had to construct cubicles and help out quite a bit when we remodeled our office since I'm a young strong man. I'd say I go above and beyond the call of duty compared to my job description when required.

I will say that there are somedays when I can be extremely busy. The only real downside to my job is my boss. She can be very abbrassive sometimes and just ruin my day. She isn't the most professional person when it comes to managing another person (dressing you down in front of other employees for stupid shit that isn't even your fault or giving you looks like you're a retard when she has no idea wtf is even going on). I dont make super good money, but it's decent, especially for what I do, and I get benefits.

Oh, and they know what I do on the computer and for how long I do it. Like most companies they have a time analyzer. I try to stick to Arfcom throughout the day, maybe sometimes going elsewhere to check my e-mail or to the online yellow pages or a search engine for something. A former temporary admin assistant decided to goto rotten.com on my computer while I was out at lunch one day and my boss checked on her computer where my web browser had been and talked to him about it. At least she didn't think it was me! That guy was a fucking dirtbag anyway (some of the things he told me he'd done...). The only reason he got the job was because his mother works for our other office.

Here's the stupidist thing about this particular person. He decided that he was going to tell US what he would and would not do. He decided he only wanted to do errands and none of this "silly office work." So he'd call in each day to see if there were any errands. We told him no every time even if there was. This went on for a week or two. Eventually he stopped calling and we just took him off of our roster and he no longer officially worked for us. WTF is wrong with some people? This is EASY work and it's too much for them? The future of America...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top