Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 1/9/2006 10:06:03 PM EDT
I was driving on my way to my first call when I see a crap load of Sheriff deputies patrol cars and the road going to one lane... I see them pulling a bunch of vehicles over... Im wondering "A sobriety checkpoint at 10:00 am on a Monday morning?? WTF?"

Car in front of me yells to the deputy as he tells the guy to pull over "I JUST WENT THROUGH THIS!!" and the deputy says "Yeah and you are gonna do it again"

Now its my turn.. cop was decent "Good morning sir, this is a driver's license checkpoint. Please pull over and have your DL out" So I pull over and another deputy just just looks at it... Doesnt run it in a computer... just looks" gives it back to me.

I said "Thats it?" He says "Yeah, I dont smell alcohol on your breath so you are free to go" I said "Yeah, you just smell coffee" He says (jokingly) "yeah to cover up the alcohol?... have a nice day, drive safe" and off I went.

What I wanna know is what were they looking for? Illegals? Now there were about 4 tow trucks at the end of the checkpoint loading up vehicles (impounding them?)

I have NEVER heard of a Driver's License check point.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Canine checkpoint.

Zombie checkpoint

They were looking for Lootie

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Fishing expedition.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
"your papers, please".

maybe this will at least get some unlicensed illegals off the road.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#4]
So, how many Cuss-us-mores chewed you out for being late?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Canine checkpoint.

Zombie checkpoint

They were looking for Lootie

+1
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I got stopped in one last June or July. It was about 9pm, and they were on the only bridge in town leading to a highway. What a coincidence.

Same deal. "Here's your license, Drive safe and have a good evening, sir".
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
"your papers, please".

maybe this will at least get some unlicensed illegals off the road.

I highly doubt it.... it's not PC, so it's probably illegal here in the PRK.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So, how many Cuss-us-mores chewed you out for being late?

Oh I should have KNOWN that that was a bad sign.. woke up WITH A migraine, checkpoint and I was running behind to ALL my calls (not because of the check point) made practically NO friggin money. My first call though (the one I was on my way to) was an inspector with the OC Sheriff dept and he had no clue why they were there. (or maybeeeeeeeeeeee he did )

Honestly though, i have been pulled over quite a few times by them and NEVER got a ticket from them. They even had me dead to rights on some occasions and just gave me a warning.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey buddy,  

you know what I would have done  

It works, trust me
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#10]
OL (license) checkpoints have been going on in NC for atleast 30 years. Nothing unusual to see them around here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I was driving on my way to my first call when I see a crap load of Sheriff deputies patrol cars and the road going to one lane... I see them pulling a bunch of vehicles over... Im wondering "A sobriety checkpoint at 10:00 am on a Monday morning?? WTF?"

Car in front of me yells to the deputy as he tells the guy to pull over "I JUST WENT THROUGH THIS!!" and the deputy says "Yeah and you are gonna do it again"

Now its my turn.. cop was decent "Good morning sir, this is a driver's license checkpoint. Please pull over and have your DL out" So I pull over and another deputy just just looks at it... Doesnt run it in a computer... just looks" gives it back to me.

I said "Thats it?" He says "Yeah, I dont smell alcohol on your breath so you are free to go" I said "Yeah, you just smell coffee" He says (jokingly) "yeah to cover up the alcohol?... have a nice day, drive safe" and off I went.

What I wanna know is what were they looking for? Illegals? Now there were about 4 tow trucks at the end of the checkpoint loading up vehicles (impounding them?)

Violation of your 4th and 5th ammendment rights.  

License checkpoint=  insurance, guns, drugs,contraband, illegals, DUI, DWI, warrants, see what turns up checkpoint.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#12]
The Missouri state patrol was doing that a lot around here in December. They were low on gas money, so they did check-points to save gas.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

- Here we go again.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

License checkpoint=  insurance, guns, drugs,contraband, illegals, DUI, DWI, warrants, see what turns up checkpoint.

Either that or they just need some new cruisers and radar guns.

$$$$$

Oh well, as long as people are ok with being fleeced and violated, there's no foul I guess.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Not even close to a violation of those rights.

Roads are public and driving is a privilege requiring a DL. It is legal for the authorities to require occasional checks to ensure that drivers have complied w/ the law.

As for warrant checks, how are they going to do that if DrFrige said they didn't even run it in the computer. A license check is just that- you check it. If it is for the driver, and valid, send them on their way unless some other violation or crime is articulable.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roads are public and driving is a privilege requiring a DL. It is legal for the authorities to require occasional checks to ensure that drivers have complied w/ the law.

Driving wasn't a "priveledge" until someone made it that way. Free travel used to be a right, be it by horse, by foot, or by the horseless carriage.

Until localities and states started charging $$ for the "priveledge" of using their roads, you still had rights behind the wheel.

It happened so long ago, and people like you are so ready to toss civil liberties out for the cry of necessity, that no one even remembers that we lost a "right".

But hey, if it saves one baby, it's worth it.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Driving wasn't a "priveledge" until someone made it that way. Free travel used to be a right, be it by horse, by foot, or by the horseless carriage.

Until localities and states started charging $$ for the "priveledge" of using their roads, you still had rights behind the wheel.

It happened so long ago, and people like you are so ready to toss civil liberties out for the cry of necessity, that no one even remembers that we lost a "right".

www.doing-freedom.com/nas/chekist.jpg

Now correct me if I am wrong.. I AM NOT ARGUING your point. If you are driving on your property, that is STILL your right to do so, but once you cross onto public funded roads, you have drossed that line to a privelage... am I right on that?

What I am saying is that if you have a 20 acre property and put in your own road and decide to do 120 mph. it is your right to do so but when it is funded by taxpayer money... rules change.

I see people arguing that check points are violations of rights. Are they? If they have a check point and manage to get a few drunk drivers off theroad, arrest some illegals then how is that violating rights?

Life is simple. Dont break the law and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#18]
did you read your paper for some escapee or fugative from justice?  I was walking down a road once and a squad car pulled up, jumped out, threw me up against the car and frisked me...after they found little money and looked at my ID, they said, I resembled  somebody who just robbed a house and took a load of money...
you were just in a general sweep perhaps...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Curious to know what would happen if you were walking.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Curious to know what would happen if you were walking.

- If its an OL check then the person would walk on by.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
did you read your paper for some escapee or fugative from justice?  I was walking down a road once and a squad car pulled up, jumped out, threw me up against the car and frisked me...after they found little money and looked at my ID, they said, I resembled  somebody who just robbed a house and took a load of money...

I've had a lot of weird things involving police happen to me....But similar to your store, i was headed home one night and passed an officer, he flipped a U turn and started to follow me. ( I go to school in a town where the speed limit is 20 MPH and everyone does it, cause its a small town and the local LEO are really bored) So i decided to turn into 7-11, and he followed. He pulled up right in back of my car and when i got out of the car i looked at him and asked them if there was a problem. He said no, then kinda stuttered and said well your car matched the profile of a homocide suspect from Federal Way (a city that is 130 miles away) and said have a nice day.
I was pissed cause i knew it was complete bullshit. If i was a homocide suspect why would he let me get out of my car and approach his car. And after following me for 10 min. wouldnt you think he would run my plates with dispatch. My mom says its cause they just want to check me out, since im young and drive a brand new lexus in a small "country" town.

I got pulled over by a campus cop.....haha i know it kind of sounds funny cause you think security, But they are actually the real deal and have jurisdiction throughout the state. He asked for my license and asked me how to say my last name, so i told him. (Im French, Sweedish, Irish, Japanesse, German, Portuguesse. My last name is Japanesse, but i look 100% white.) So he askes me what it means, and i tell him that its japanesse. He proceedes to argue with me for a good 15 min. that i am not japanesse and to prove it. He ended up letting me go, and later me since my current gf works for dispatch.

Last one....even though i have hundreds.......Driving home, State Patrol passes me and flips a U-turn. Usual question "Do you know how fast you were going?" Yes officer 35......."Try 34".....Well officer isn't this a 35 MPH zone......"No its a 20"......."Why dont you take your vehicle in to get your speedometer checked out, this is a warning....Slow it down"...........So i drive off and 25 ft. in front of me is a sign that says 35.

And people say profiling doesn't exsist!

To sum it up...I go to school in a town that is the hub for: State Patrol, City Police, Shierff, County, and University. It was once said that we have the most officers per individual in the entire US.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:09:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, we didn't USED TO have cars and the resulting crashes that cause serious injuries. The kind that bumping into another person while walking just don't cause. You do realize that this is civilization that we are living in, not utopia where everything is done to your whim?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a friend in Northern PRK.  Last year he got stopped at a similar checkpoint - they were looking for seatbelt violators.  At least that was the stated purpose.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:19:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I was pissed cause i knew it was complete bullshit. If i was a homocide suspect why would he let me get out of my car and approach his car. And after following me for 10 min. wouldnt you think he would run my plates with dispatch. My mom says its cause they just want to check me out, since im young and drive a brand new lexus in a small "country" town.

- SO you don't know it was bullshit, but feel it is.  OK.    Your "bullshit" expereince can be easily explained.  If he followed you for 10 minutes and thought you might be in the suspect vehicle for a homicide, you can bet your tag was run.  However that doesn't mean anything.  Sometimes DMV is down and tag info is unavailable.  ALso, was a tag listed for the suspect vehicle?  When it comes to approaching his vehicle......perhaps the suspect they were looking for was a completely opposite from you (he is hispanic you are black; he is 6'6 you are 5'4).  BUt who knows... maybe it was bullshit...afterall I wasnt the officer that stopped you.

I got pulled over by a campus cop.....haha i know it kind of sounds funny cause you think security, But they are actually the real deal and have jurisdiction throughout the state.
- I've never heard of a campus police officer that had state wide jurisdiction.

He ended up letting me go, and later me since my current gf works for dispatch.

Last one....even though i have hundreds.......Driving home, State Patrol passes me and flips a U-turn. Usual question "Do you know how fast you were going?" Yes officer 35......."Try 34".....Well officer isn't this a 35 MPH zone......"No its a 20"......."Why dont you take your vehicle in to get your speedometer checked out, this is a warning....Slow it down"...........So i drive off and 25 ft. in front of me is a sign that says 35.
- So were you in a 2o mph zone?  It doesnt matter if the sign 25 feet in front of you says 90 if you are in a 20 when observed speeding.

- Profiling exsist and isn't a bad thing (unless done based solely on race).  It is a legitimate tool that has been used since the begining of time and serves its purpose very well.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:22:48 AM EDT
[#25]
They sometimes have those kind of checkpoints here in the UK...they pull people over and if you are uninsured, or do not have road tax disk or are unlicenced your vehicle is confiscated. You are then either arrested, or asked to make your own way home....
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:23:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, we didn't USED TO have cars and the resulting crashes that cause serious injuries. The kind that bumping into another person while walking just don't cause. You do realize that this is civilization that we are living in, not utopia where everything is done to your whim?

Necessity created licensing and traffic laws, not a need to forfeit your basic civil liberties.

Don't try to tell me that traveling by car is reason for the 4th amendment to be tossed aside. I will never buy that, no good American will.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:26:15 AM EDT
[#27]
The 4th amend isnt being tossed to the side.  Of course doomsayers on here think otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Pretty common practice by the State Police in KS certain times of the year...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had a lot of weird things involving police happen to me....But similar to your store, i was headed home one night and passed an officer, he flipped a U turn and started to follow me. ( I go to school in a town where the speed limit is 20 MPH and everyone does it, cause its a small town and the local LEO are really bored) So i decided to turn into 7-11, and he followed. He pulled up right in back of my car and when i got out of the car i looked at him and asked them if there was a problem. He said no, then kinda stuttered and said well your car matched the profile of a homocide suspect from Federal Way (a city that is 130 miles away) and said have a nice day.

I got pulled over by a campus cop.....haha i know it kind of sounds funny cause you think security, But they are actually the real deal and have jurisdiction throughout the state. He asked for my license and asked me how to say my last name, so i told him. (Im French, Sweedish, Irish, Japanesse, German, Portuguesse. My last name is Japanesse, but i look 100% white.) So he askes me what it means, and i tell him that its japanesse. He proceedes to argue with me for a good 15 min. that i am not japanesse and to prove it. He ended up letting me go, and later me since my current gf works for dispatch.

To sum it up...I go to school in a town that is the hub for: State Patrol, City Police, Shierff, County, and University. It was once said that we have the most officers per individual in the entire US.

in EVERY profession, there are assholes. i got caught by a CHP officer that was just in a bad fucking mood about 8 years ago. Nothing I said could have helped me out of this situation. He had a scowl on his face and he was just what I said... in a bad fucking mood.

Was he right in pulling me over? Most likely. .... OK "YES!" I was speeding but if you look at the times I got pulled over and got a warning... shit, I am doing great!

I swear the following is 100% true... even posted it when it happened.

I got pulled over because of expired tags.. what made it worse was insurance just lapsed and I forgot my wallet at home so NO LICENSE.

I said to the deputy... "Have you just ever had one of those days that you just should have stayed in bed?" He smirked and I gave him my license # (memorized)

He said "Ok you are not getting a ticket but you ARE getting a lecture. FIRST I couldnt care less about expired tags.  Second, GO HOME and find your wallet! But what really irks me is when people drive without insurance. since it only lapsed by a few days, get to your insurance agent today and get it reinstated... drive safe"
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:34:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Necessity created licensing and traffic laws, not a need to forfeit your basic civil liberties.

Don't try to tell me that traveling by car is reason for the 4th amendment to be tossed aside. I will never buy that, no good American will.

By your reasoning, a red light infringes on your 4th amendment right since it makes you stop your travel? Get over yourself. Your 4th right is regarding your right to be secure in your home and your person. Handing a driver's license over has nothing to do with anything being seized or searched.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#31]

My girlfriend is a dispatcher...and have met many of the officers who have pulled me over....and i can assure you that it was for BS reasons!

- So were you in a 2o mph zone?  It doesnt matter if the sign 25 feet in front of you says 90 if you are in a 20 when observed speeding.

Im pretty sure that this isnt true. Im pretty sure that you dont have to wait to see the sign to adjust your speed. And, also the road is pretty long.......and i was 1/2 down it.....speed limit was later confirmed to be 35.

I understand that officers like to stick together and in a way form a community. I am also assuming by your name and response that you in fact are a LEO. And for the most part, i have had good experiences with LEO's, I personally know a lot of LEO's whether family or friends....However, I think your speaking without any knowledge of my stated situation especially the laws pretaining to WA.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- SO you don't know it was bullshit, but feel it is.  OK.    Your "bullshit" expereince can be easily explained.  If he followed you for 10 minutes and thought you might be in the suspect vehicle for a homicide, you can bet your tag was run.  However that doesn't mean anything.  Sometimes DMV is down and tag info is unavailable.  ALso, was a tag listed for the suspect vehicle?  When it comes to approaching his vehicle......perhaps the suspect they were looking for was a completely opposite from you (he is hispanic you are black; he is 6'6 you are 5'4).  BUt who knows... maybe it was bullshit...afterall I wasnt the officer that stopped you.

I got pulled over by a campus cop.....haha i know it kind of sounds funny cause you think security, But they are actually the real deal and have jurisdiction throughout the state.
- I've never heard of a campus police officer that had state wide jurisdiction.

- Profiling exsist and isn't a bad thing (unless done based solely on race).  It is a legitimate tool that has been used since the begining of time and serves its purpose very well.

With the exception of sex, what are some examples of other criteria with which one could be profiled?

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:41:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

in EVERY profession, there are assholes. i got caught by a CHP officer that was just in a bad fucking mood about 8 years ago. Nothing I said could have helped me out of this situation. He had a scowl on his face and he was just what I said... in a bad fucking mood.

Was he right in pulling me over? Most likely. .... OK "YES!" I was speeding but if you look at the times I got pulled over and got a warning... shit, I am doing great!

I swear the following is 100% true... even posted it when it happened.

I got pulled over because of expired tags.. what made it worse was insurance just lapsed and I forgot my wallet at home so NO LICENSE.

I said to the deputy... "Have you just ever had one of those days that you just should have stayed in bed?" He smirked and I gave him my license # (memorized)

He said "Ok you are not getting a ticket but you ARE getting a lecture. FIRST I couldnt care less about expired tags.  Second, GO HOME and find your wallet! But what really irks me is when people drive without insurance. since it only lapsed by a few days, get to your insurance agent today and get it reinstated... drive safe"

I got lucky a few Thanksgivings ago...I was doing 100 + in a 70 at about 3 in the morning......Cop pulled me over and being the smartass that i am I told him i was going 70 with a straight face. He lectured me for a long time, but then asked if I would mine telling him what i had done to my car and how i liked it since he was considering purchasing one.......He let me go with a warning.....I got super super LUCKY!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:43:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

With the exception of sex, what are some examples of other criteria with which one could be profiled?

AGE!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:59:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

- Time of day, vehicle, actions (or lack of), and area are all factors used during profiling. And as pointed out, age can be a factor. What has to be kept in mind is that a single factor isnt used as a determing factor for creating an interaction.  There will be several factors coming into play
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:01:22 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AGE!!!!!

Profiling by race is not even a bad thing. If little green men from mars start blowing up buildings then we had better take a good look at little green men from mars. Stupidity is one of our biggest enemies.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:03:55 AM EDT
[#38]

If little green men from mars start blowing up buildings then we had better take a good look at little green men from mars. Stupidity is one of our biggest enemies
But how do you know they are from Mars and not Uranus?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:13:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By your reasoning, a red light infringes on your 4th amendment right since it makes you stop your travel? Get over yourself. Your 4th right is regarding your right to be secure in your home and your person. Handing a driver's license over has nothing to do with anything being seized or searched.

Bullshit. Random stops are fishing nets, you know it, I know it, that's why they're done.

Do I have anything to hide? No. Does it pain me in a physical or mental way? No. What I do resent is being pulled over because the police require me to prove that I'm legal, doing nothing wrong, and possess nothing which would arouse suspicion. Why me? Because I'm caught in the net, not for any other reason.

Get over myself? Sure thing, der kommissar. It's all about me and my freedom to move and travel without being caught in a fishing expedition by lazy revenue collectors looking for crime.

Up yours. You ARE the problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:21:43 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Im pretty sure that this isnt true. Im pretty sure that you dont have to wait to see the sign to adjust your speed. And, also the road is pretty long.......and i was 1/2 down it.....speed limit was later confirmed to be 35.

No offense, but saying you're "pretty sure" doesn't really carry the same weight as saying you're absolutely positive the speed limit was 35 on the particular stretch of road you were observed speeding on.

Sorry "Pretty sure" was used in a sarcastic tone, but sometimes its hard to convey that through next
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:26:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- Time of day, vehicle, actions (or lack of), and area are all factors used during profiling. And as pointed out, age can be a factor. What has to be kept in mind is that a single factor isnt used as a determing factor for creating an interaction.  There will be several factors coming into play

Couldn't agree more....and I really don't think profiling is entirely bad......For the most part I think most officers have good reasoning behind the interaction, i just really cant stand when officers will deny that it exisit and that "oh no, an officer would never profile" Its not like i care, i just wish more would be honest about it...

Is it something that you as an officer can get in trouble for? And i mean in the situations that you described....rather than a completly BS situation by a "cop having a bad day"
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
i just really cant stand when officers will deny that it exisit and that "oh no, an officer would never profile" Its not like i care, i just wish more would be honest about it...

- Most have had the whole "racial profiling" thing thrown in their face so much that they equate any use of the term "profiling" to be the same as racial profiling and will deny doing it for fear of law suits, being made to look like a JBT, etc.

Is it something that you as an officer can get in trouble for? And i mean in the situations that you described....rather than a completly BS situation by a "cop having a bad day"
- In the siutaions I described, no.  People piss and moan that we are harassing them for "no reason" or just because they are "insert reason".   Now we can get in trouble if we are doing soemthing like only stopping young black males that drive large older model cars.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:49:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Ya thats pretty much what i figured.......

When i first got my license i hated "cops" and thought they were always out to get me.......but in the recent years i have gained a ton of respect for LEO's, at least the good ones, cause man do they have to deal with some real idiots and assholes.......
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:24:02 AM EDT
[#44]
It wasn't a random check point, it was containment....it was not illegal aliens they were looking for but escaped extraterestials...you probably didn't even notice the black helos in the air did you?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:44:04 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Get over myself? Sure thing, der kommissar. It's all about me and my freedom to move and travel without being caught in a fishing expedition by lazy revenue collectors looking for crime.

Up yours. You ARE the problem.

Loosen the foil just a wee bit.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:54:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:59:34 AM EDT
[#47]
I went through a DL checkpoint in La Verne, CA back in 1999, about 5pm on a weekday.  Good thinking there, it wasn't busy or anything.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:07:35 AM EDT
[#48]
DrFrige- Did you have a concealed weapon on your person? If so, does your state require you to notify LEO? I'll bet that if you were CCW and you told the nice officer, you would have been detained while the "numbers were run". Personally, I think that if a person has a CCW, the "numbers" should not be run. (small thread hijack in progress to satisfy pet peeve)
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:25:29 AM EDT
[#49]
     I've never been happy with the "privilege" argument for driving on public roads.
The state creates nothing, it produces nothing, it invents nothing. Anything the state has to use or give away, be it material, funds, or "privileges" comes not from the state, but from the citizens of the state through taxation.  The state cannot (or should not) grant "privileges" like some monarch...that's not it's job. The state, as intended by the FF, is to be the servant of the people, not the other way around, and as our servant, it's job is to help gurantee our rights.
     Of course I have the right to travel unmolested on public roads. I, and many like me, pay for the roads and their upkeep. We pay for the patroling of those roads.
     Now with rights, come responsabilities. I have the right to travel unmolested, but I do not have the right to infringe upon the rights of others, thus I may not drive drunk, speed, drive recklessly, agressively, or irresponsibly.  Since they also pay for the roads, other citizens also have the right to travel unmolested and I do not have the right to jepardize that through my irresponsible or reckless behavior.  And this is the role of law enforcement: to, through enforcing reasonable laws and restrictions, prevent the criminal and irresponsible amongst us from infringing upon the rights of those about them.
     Liscensing, speed limits, laws against drunk/reckless driving, etc. are all reasonable rules that we all must follow and must be enforced, not to curtail our rights, but rather to help ensure that me and millions of other citizens can safely and smoothy exercise our rights to travel on OUR roads at the same time.
      I rather resent the concept that some bureaucrat takes my money from me under threat of force (try to not pay your taxes and see what happens) and then grants me the "privilege" of utilizing something that I paid for.
      A peaceable citizen, travelling in a responsible manner, breaking no laws (at least apparently breaking no laws), should be permitted go go about his or her business in peace.  Checkpoints may do good in getting drunks off the road, but the concept behind their implementation, IMHO, is statist, unconstitutional (SCOTUS has made several rulings in the last few years that I think are blatently unConstitutional to the casual observer--Eminent Domain for example), and against the intent of the framers.
     I'm not anti-government or anti authority, I would not have worn my uniform the last 20 years if I was. I'm just pro-liberty and that is the reason I put this uniform on in the first place.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:28:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top