In no special order....

ANA soldier on the ridge

Making friends with the locals

Sapper out investigating a suspected IED

Looking toward Pakistan.... the far ridge

The road between Kabul and Jalalabad

A few of us eating dinner in the ANA Barracks

Me in downtown Orgun-E

I have about 12 Gig of pictures so if anyone wants to see  anything special let me know and if I have it and there is no problem with showing it I will.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Very cool. Happy New Year to you. Stay safe.

BTW the terrain is similar to here.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#2]
#1 pic. You would'nt think anyone would be standing up like that on a hill.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
#1 pic. You would'nt think anyone would be standing up like that on a hill.

It is pretty common here, the fact they are visible is enough to keep the Taliban ana Al-Queda from coming out..... they are pretty much cowards who only operate when they think nobody is around.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice pics!
I sure wouldn't mind seeing more!

Also, if you host them on Imageshack, which is totally free, you can post them as clickable thumbnails so that those with slower internet connections can still enjoy them, and those of us who want to see the hi-res ones can click and see them too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#5]
it looks like the solider in the 1st photo has on the marine mapart camo.?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Are those Afghan soldiers in the background of the second picture from the bottom? The ones in the green berets?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Seems like you'd have to lose a bet, or REALLY be on your CO's bad side to get that job.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You kinda stick out in that crowd, bro.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have about 12 Gig of pictures so if anyone wants to see  anything special let me know and if I have it and there is no problem with showing it I will.

just keep 'em coming, I say.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Are those Afghan soldiers in the background of the second picture from the bottom? The ones in the green berets?

Yeah, they invite us to dinner from time to time. Good guys.

The guy in the first pic is wearing the same as those guys, photobucket just made the whole pic kind of pixilated when it resized it... the hi-res version looks very sharp.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#11]
great pics! thanks!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the great pics!  Would love to see more.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/sapper.jpg

Seems like you'd have to lose a bet, or REALLY be on your CO's bad side to get that job.  

It is actually a quite fought over job.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Great pics.  Can you keep them coming?  Very interesting.  Forgive my ignorance but what's your "job" over there?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/ana-dinner.jpg

They look half-way squared away.  They decent fighters?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Great pics.  Can you keep them coming?  Very interesting.  Forgive my ignorance but what's your "job" over there?

We are a light Combat Engineer company.... our 3 main mission are hunting IED's. road building, and security for the road/sapeer missions with the Infantry.

I am the maintenace warrant/HQ platoon leader for the company, so I go along with a bit of each mission as time (and the commander) allows.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks and stay safe, bud.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/ana-dinner.jpg

They look half-way squared away.  They decent fighters?

Not bad for an Army that is less than 5 years old. They lack the solid NCO and officer leadership they need, but that is developing and is farther ahead than I would have expected for an organization that new. They are very brave, and get mad if we pull them back from something we feel is too risky. But on the same hand they will fight for 15 minutes before a mission who is riding in what truck with who..... one of our guys who worked with them described them as "15 year old combat veterans" and that is kind of true...... they are pretty fun to work with, and very eager to learn. I have no doubt that in a few years they will be standing on thier own, they run more and more missions independantly now.

If they brief a mission and they say ANA will be coming with us or securing the high ground, we always see that as a good thing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Some random pictures of us blowing things up......

This first one is us with Polish EOD preparing to blow a cache we recovered:

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Great pics, thanks for your service! Any more I'm sure would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Stay safe, dude.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
]

How do you detonate something like that?

Light it with a Bic, and then run like $&$^%  ???

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/cache2.jpg]

How do you detonate something like that?

Light it with a Bic, and then run like $&$^%  ???

Are those maxi-pad wrappers on the ground?  Is that used for detonation or to keep the bad guys from stealing your explosives?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Its the paper you peel off of C-4 to make it stick
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Do the bars self ignite when one is set off, or do they have to be linked somehow?  Isn't that called fratricide or something?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#26]
As long as each block is touching and you prime in from the center with a blasing cap everything will pretty much detonate. In a detonation the shockwave travels faster than the ambient flame front wich causes the adjoing energetic mass to rapidly decompose with the liberation of copius amounts of heat and gas.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Its the paper you peel off of C-4 to make it stick

[Saving Private Ryan] Its called a sticky bomb[/Saving Private Ryan]

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
As long as each block is touching and you prime in from the center with a blasing cap everything will pretty much detonate. In a detonation the shockwave travels faster than the ambient flame front wich causes the adjoing energetic mass to rapidly decompose with the liberation of copius amounts of heat and gas.

How do blasting caps work?

And are you saying its teh shockwave, not the flame, that causes them to ignite?

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Heat and Pressure set the explosive off..
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#30]
depending if it is electric or non electric. Electric is a bridge wire in the cap surrounded by black powder next to lead styphenate wich detonates  to lead azide which detonates  to rdx. with non electric it is a piece of blackpowder filled time fuze crimped onto a cap which has no blackpowder just lead styphenate azide then RDX. Your trying to build up a shockwave that is strong enough to succesfully propagate into c-4. basicly the fire follows the big bang.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Thanks for the pics Garand Shooter! Stay safe and hurry home.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
depending if it is electric or non electric. Electric is a bridge wire in the cap surrounded by black powder next to lead styphenate wich detonates  to lead azide which detonates  to rdx. with non electric it is a piece of blackpowder filled time fuze crimped onto a cap which has no blackpowder just lead styphenate azide then RDX. Your trying to build up a shockwave that is strong enough to succesfully propagate into c-4. basicly the fire follows the big bang.

Intersting.

For the electric kind, do you have like a battery with a radio activated detinator, or like a really long set of wires ?

For non electric there has to be some mechanical device or something that causes the initial "spark" / whatever. Right?

I guess I'm asking first causes here.

Fascinating stuff, thanx for indluging me.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Electric can be done either way you describe, non-electric there is a device that you insert the fuse into and pull to ignite (M-81? Demo is not my specialty) or have seen it just lit with a lighter when those were not available.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#34]
For electric you can use a long ass spool of wire but most units that do ordnance disposal have a Remote like the Mk-152  You only need about 1.5 volts to set off a cap but most machines generate several hundred volts so you can detonate more than one cap at a time. With non electric they issue ignitersM81 or m-60 wich use a shotgun primer to ignit time fuse but matches also work it is just not as easy.

I hope I am not stealing Garand_Shooters thunder by talking about his pics but this is my Job Explosive Ordnance Disposal.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
For electric you can use a long ass spool of wire but most units that do ordnance disposal have a Remote like the Mk-152  You only need about 1.5 volts to set off a cap but most machines generate several hundred volts so you can detonate more than one cap at a time. With non electric they issue ignitersM81 or m-60 wich use a shotgun primer to ignit time fuse but matches also work it is just not as easy.

I hope I am not stealing Garand_Shooters thunder by talking about his pics but this is my Job Explosive Ordnance Disposal.

Not at all, demo is not my specialty by a log shot I just tag along and learn as I go.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Electric can be done either way you describe, non-electric there is a device that you insert the fuse into and pull to ignite (M-81? Demo is not my specialty) or have seen it just lit with a lighter when those were not available.

Don't you have to be like WAY to close to light with a lighter, or pull something to ignite the blasting caps?

[Blazing Saddles]...and now, for my impression of Jesse Owens...[/Blazing Saddles]

(don't mean to hijack the thread, it just got my interest)

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't you have to be like WAY to close to light with a lighter, or pull something to ignite the blasting caps?

[Blazing Saddles]...and now, for my impression of Jesse Owens...[/Blazing Saddles]

(don't mean to hijack the thread, it just got my interest)

It is time fuse, just cut enough to allow yourself time to get far enough away.

And always test burn a section and time it before you cut your real length, lots vary in how fast they burn.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Pics of the Beer Can satellite dishes please.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I will work on that, although the latest ones have gone away from cans and they have found a source for thin tin to use, but the whole thing is still handmade and quite a work of art.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#41]
By popular demand.......

Not my picture, but I didn't have one on hand so I found one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
By popular demand.......

www.internews.org/images/regions/afghanistan/ChromyAFG25.jpg

Very cool. Thanks

Still though, the next time you pass one of those guys making one in the market, please get a better pic. This idea of handmade satellite dishes being made next to some guy selling goats and a woman making bread really intrigues me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Cool keep em coming! Thanks and stay safe!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Use enough dynamite there Butch?

Cool pics..
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
By popular demand.......

www.internews.org/images/regions/afghanistan/ChromyAFG25.jpg

Very cool. Thanks

Still though, the next time you pass one of those guys making one in the market, please get a better pic. This idea of handmade satellite dishes being made next to some guy selling goats and a woman making bread really intrigues me.

Will do, the best spot for that shot is a town a little ways form here so next time our guys head that way I will either tag along or get them to get a picture.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#47]
is someone giving this guy some bunny ears?
  < first standing row in the middle>

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
is someone giving this guy some bunny ears?
  < first standing row in the middle>

img399.imageshack.us/img399/128/bunny2di.jpg

I think he is..................
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Cool pics. Stay safe.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top