[#1]
Thanks for the pics!!!!!

Keep your ass safe over there
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like fun.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you pay one of the kids to keep the other kids away from you? I've heard of guys doing that and apparently they do a pretty good job at keeping the other kids away.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what we are doing. A lot of times they are not a problem as long as they stay a far enough distance, otherwise our terps do a good job of running them off. But once the kids learn to like you they are a good source of information.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#5]
i mentioned those beer can dishes in your other thread. the first time i saw one of them a few years ago i slammed on brakes and un-assed the vehicle because i just HAD to see this.  Those poles are pretty hard core. i dont know about their EOD but their spec ops guys are good to freakin go.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
16gigs?! GOOD LODE!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
16gigs?! GOOD LODE!

With just about everyone in the company having a digital camera we have lots of pics to share.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:34:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Goddamn thats a lot of RDX.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:17:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for shareing
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:25:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The road between Kabul and Jalalabad

Seeing this photo congers up images of ambushes and battles of wars-gone-by.

Whether it was the British, the Soviets, or waring Tribesmen, it was surely a most dangerous place.

Fantastic pix, G_Shooter!

Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:35:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice pictures.

Some of those mountains and pass and beautiful. I would love to go backpacking there.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:02:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Love the pictures.  Please post more as you can.  

Be Safe.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Great pics, thanks!
I would enjoy seeing more and above all, be careful!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:26:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Kinda reminds me of the movie "The Beast"........

Quoted:

Quoted:

i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/3a0583ad.jpg

Whether it was the British, the Soviets, or waring Tribesmen, it was surely a most dangerous place.

Thanks for sharing!

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:33:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/3a0583ad.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

thats what I was thinking, scarry place to travel
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#16]
A few pictures of the shops

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank you for sharing those pics with us.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/tglance/cache2.jpg]

How do you detonate something like that?

Light it with a Bic, and then run like $&$^%  ???

What a waste of C4 for a few miserable shells. Think we have to pay for this, I would have taken the shells apart and burn the powder.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a waste of C4 for a few miserable shells. Think we have to pay for this, I would have taken the shells apart and burn the powder.

#1, there was more than just recoiless rifle shells there, also RPG rockets and some mines on the bottom

#2 they were unservicable, the good stuff gets turned over to the ANA for use (they would have most likely worked, but were not stored properly)

#3 just removing the powder from the shells does not destroy the projectile, that still has explosive and can be used to make IED's. Gotta blow it up to get rid of it... same goes for RPG rockets and mines.

#4 we don't have time to sit around and take things apart that may blow upon us in the process. We are out in indian country doing this, so sitting around for half a day prying apart shells would be quite stupid.

We do have a clue what we are doing. You would probably be really pissed to see the 2300lb blast we saved just for new years................... time for me to go watch it
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#20]
#5 Taking apart explosive stuff isn't all that safe.  Especially if it's been stored a long time and is corroded or something.

Have any of you EOD guys seen MK 186-0 or -2 over there?

Quoted:
#1, there was more than just recoiless rifle shells there, also RPG rockets and some mines on the bottom

#2 they were unservicable, the good stuff gets turned over to the ANA for use (they would have most likely worked, but were not stored properly)

#3 just removing the powder from the shells does not destroy the projectile, that still has explosive and can be used to make IED's. Gotta blow it up to get rid of it... same goes for RPG rockets and mines.

#4 we don't have time to sit around and take things apart that may blow upon us in the process. We are out in indian country doing this, so sitting around for half a day prying apart shells would be quite stupid.

We do have a clue what we are doing. You would probably be really pissed to see the 2300lb blast we saved just for new years................... time for me to go watch it

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I know. I disassembled my first shells over 45 years ago. Stay safe and bring back some souvenirs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank You for your service to our country.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#23]
The only cats that use the 186 anymore are the Navy the army uses the 152 the last I saw the airforce is still using 122's the marines use everything but last I saw most had 152's ( these are the nomenclature of our firing devices) are you guys destroying all landmines?. Those shots are real nice especialy by engineer standards must have had some EOD supervision. The more C-4 you use on top the less out bound frag you will have. Frag is bad imagine a wall of flying lawnmower blades coming at you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The only cats that use the 186 anymore are the Navy the army uses the 152 the last I saw the airforce is still using 122's the marines use everything but last I saw most had 152's ( these are the nomenclature of our firing devices) are you guys destroying all landmines?. Those shots are real nice especialy by engineer standards must have had some EOD supervision. The more C-4 you use on top the less out bound frag you will have. Frag is bad imagine a wall of flying lawnmower blades coming at you.

Sometimes we have EOD (not always US, sometimes Polish, Estonian ETC), if not we have our EOCA trained guys there. But always one or the other. The EOCA program has freed EOD up to handle more things with less people by letting our guys do alot that they could not do before.

Not just landmines (but mostly), but we go out with EOD to destroy caches (they always love help) and such.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I was initialy worried about the EOCA program but I realy have nothing but good things to say about the graduates I have met. I am sure they think were a bunch of unprofesional assholes but that just keeps them on their toes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

We are a light Combat Engineer company.... our 3 main mission are hunting IED's. road building, and security for the road/sapeer missions with the Infantry.

I am the maintenace warrant/HQ platoon leader for the company, so I go along with a bit of each mission as time (and the commander) allows.

The road between Kabul and Jalalabad seems like job security for that task.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We are a light Combat Engineer company.... our 3 main mission are hunting IED's. road building, and security for the road/sapeer missions with the Infantry.

I am the maintenace warrant/HQ platoon leader for the company, so I go along with a bit of each mission as time (and the commander) allows.

The road between Kabul and Jalalabad seems like job security for that task.

Hell thats one of the best roads in the country, and the MAIN supply route for all goods coming in from Pakistan.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I was initialy worried about the EOCA program but I realy have nothing but good things to say about the graduates I have met. I am sure they think were a bunch of unprofesional assholes but that just keeps them on their toes.

I have nothing but good things to say about Army and coalition forces EOD............ AF is a mixed bag so far.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the pics.

This guy, being in Afghanistan, was one of 2 Arfcommers that sent me a set of dogtags(cat tags) to mark the remains of the SEC. He's overseas and STILL managed to do something nice for a guy back home whose major problem was a dying cat.

Thanks.

Garand, IM me your addy in Afghanistan. I'm gonna try something.

I'm gonna write you a letter, put a stamp on it place it in a bottle with instructions for the finder to mail it. The next time I run the coast I'll pitch it over the side.

If you get the letter, you'll be the first GI in Afghanistan to get a letter that started it's voyage as a message in a bottle.

Good Hunting.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Thanks for the pics.

This guy, being in Afghanistan, was one of 2 Arfcommers that sent me a set of dogtags(cat tags) to mark the remains of the SEC. He's overseas and STILL managed to do something nice for a guy back home whose major problem was a dying cat.

Thanks.

Garand, IM me your addy in Afghanistan. I'm gonna try something.

I'm gonna write you a letter, put a stamp on it place it in a bottle with instructions for the finder to mail it. The next time I run the coast I'll pitch it over the side.

If you get the letter, you'll be the first GI in Afghanistan to get a letter that started it's voyage as a message in a bottle.

Good Hunting.

Cool! IM sent!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Nice pictures.

Some of those mountains and pass and beautiful. I would love to go backpacking there.

We have travel agents located in strip malls and storefronts all over the country, just look in the yellow pages under "Armed Forces Recruiting".

All equipment provided.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice pictures.

We have travel agents located in strip malls and storefronts all over the country, just look in the yellow pages under "Armed Forces Recruiting".

All equipment provided.

Thanks for the pics GS! I really appreciate what you guys are doing there and love to see the pictures. But then I've always loved National Geographic too.

It sure doesn't seem like we hear all that much from the "forgotten" theatre. Except for the odd helicopter crash or what.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Very cool pics. It's great to see some photos from guys on the ground rather than the usual crap that we're usually fed by CNN.

Also, it looks like that Afghan terrain could be very unforgiving.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#34]
A few more....

The RG-31:

The Buffalo:

Jingle truck:

Rezeroing:

Shit burning:
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Thank you for your service first and the pics second.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#36]
<==== 21's rock, but then I may be prejudice you know.

Talking about the amount of explosives used to blow those old munitions....

think about it this way....

Do you want to be the lucky soul who gets to go back to the unexploded pieces out there and
do it again????  Hell no!!

think about lighting some firecrackers on 4th of july...and what happens if a whole string doesn't go off...and then magnify that by a lot.  I don't want to be going back and re-doing it. unh uh no way no how.

Thanks for your service and stay safe.
keep your head down and powder dry.

ETA: ESSAYONS
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Jim Scoutten and Shooting USA have abopted my unit as thier unit of the month for operation thank you!  More pictures and details here: www.shootingusa.com/LATEST_UPDATES/IRAQ/Operation_Thank_You/OrgunE2/orgune2.html

Thanks Jim and the Shooting USA Crew!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top