Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/10/2005 8:11:58 PM EDT
So I get a phone call today at work from my 5 year old boy. He's all excited and said mommy told him he could get a kitten Great. I'm a dog person. I'd rather get a dog that has one paw in the grave than any cat. But we can't get a dog, and I'm not gonna burst my kids bubble because he could use the responsibility. So basically I guess what I need to know is should we get a male or female? We're gonna shoot for a kitten instead of an older cat. I don't want some lazy ass cat that sits around all day and does nothing. I want something that's going to stalk, hunt, and kill. I also want something that is going to keep the other neighborhood cats out of my damned yard. So I probably want a male right? Growing up my moms cat just sat around in the windowsill all day long. I don't want something like that, or does it just depend on the cat? Any input would be great.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone was telling me that the males sucrets an enzime that some people are allergic to.  This might be a reason to get a female.  In addition to males pissing on everything.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So basically I guess what I need to know is should we get a male or female?

I say get a jar of barbeque sauce.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
get a rope!
the cat ran away...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I say you find your nearest Chinese restaurant and make a few bucks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Someone was telling me that the males sucrets an enzime that some people are allergic to.  This might be a reason to get a female.  In addition to males pissing on everything.

One of my hosemates and I went half-and-half on a male kitten, and he shat on my couch and pissed in my CLEAN laundry within two days.

Fortunately, he seems to have the killer instinct we're looking for, to control the bug and mouse population in our rental house.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#6]
you want a cat that can do things a dog can do?

get a first generation bengal house cat :)

they are my favorite cat.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If those are the cats I'm thinking of, they are ridiculously expensive.  In general, a random kitten in FREE (except maybe for shots, neutering, etc).

Blue84S10 - male cats will probably be a little more agressive and more likely to be hunting/stalking, but are also more likely to react badly to other cats (and potentially piss/spray near windows and doors, if they feel like other cats are threatening their territory).

Whatever you do - get it fixed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I would get a female. We have had several cats and this one particular cat was one of the best. She lived about 8yrs before she became coyote food. She was a simple white, gray, and black alley cat we found as a kitten. She had a habit of bringing back mouse "presents" to leave at the doorstep.

Male cats are smarter and can cause trouble because of it( We had a male Burmese that could open doors and cabinets). They also piss on everything.

One of the coolest cats I have ever seen is one my cousin's wife has. He's a 10yo Abyssinian, and looks awesome. The eyes are greenish and his fur is a cool rusty brown that changes shades on different parts of the body.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Bring it to the next shoot. You get your 1919 back yet?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#10]
definitely get he/she fixed.  i have had great experiences with both male and female cats.  both seem to kill the same amount, but some males will fight too much, and some females will be bitches.  if you want a cat that kills, be ready for squirrel heads, rat organs, etc... in your house or garage or whatever.  my cats love bringing me "gifts".
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#11]
train the cat to take a dump on the toliet with one of these, ASAP
kitty whiz
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
definitely get he/she fixed.  i have had great experiences with both male and female cats.  both seem to kill the same amount, but some males will fight too much, and some females will be bitches.  if you want a cat that kills, be ready for squirrel heads, rat organs, etc... in your house or garage or whatever.  my cats love bringing me "gifts".

Just based on the few cats I've owned (and that my wife has owned) and those I've observed among friends and family, the really lazy and sedentary cats have tended to be female rather than male  - but that's a pretty small sample, so don't infer too much from it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

my parents have a g5 and he eats the neighborhood pidgeons and is currently at war with a gang of mockingbirds. It's pretty cool watching him kill. The owner gave him to us because he would beat up their other kittens (they were breeders). The G1 they had was gigantic, about 25 pounds. They had a pure Asian leopard that was double caged and looked like it wanted to kill you.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So I get a phone call today at work from my 5 year old boy. He's all excited and said mommy told him he could get a kitten Great. I'm a dog person. I'd rather get a dog that has one paw in the grave than any cat. But we can't get a dog, and I'm not gonna burst my kids bubble because he could use the responsibility. So basically I guess what I need to know is should we get a male or female? We're gonna shoot for a kitten instead of an older cat. I don't want some lazy ass cat that sits around all day and does nothing. I want something that's going to stalk, hunt, and kill. I also want something that is going to keep the other neighborhood cats out of my damned yard. So I probably want a male right? Growing up my moms cat just sat around in the windowsill all day long. I don't want something like that, or does it just depend on the cat? Any input would be great.

Definitely get your cats fixed.  Males wont wander so much or piss on things and you wont have bloody periods or unwanted pregnancies from the females.  Fixed cats are also much more loving and getting a male fixed is much cheaper and easier than a female.  Two of my 4 cats are brother and sister, and it costed something like 30 or 40 bucks to get the male fixed, and $100+ to get the female fixed.  In this case, the male more closely resembles the type of cat you describe wanting, but that may not always be the case.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I say you find your nearest Chinese restaurant and make a few bucks.

dude, that is so stereotypical of you, it's Korean restaurants
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

FEMALE would be my advice.  A male who is not fixed will be VERY aggressive, but will mark EVERYBLOODYREEKING object in sight.  And soon your house will smell like cat piss in every corner, even if you have them fixed they tend to spray their territory.

The female cat that I got as a kid kicked ass and took names.  Chased the neighborhood mutts out of the yard . . . she was sweet as could be when she was a kitten, but when she got old (almost 20 yrs) she was a real bitch and we had to have her put to sleep.

Males who are fixed get lazy, because of the lack of testosterone, while females become more aggressive.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#17]
get it fixed whatever sex it is cause there are too many strays out there.
I would make it a house cat unless you want fun presents like dead animals and fleas
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Cats are definitely cool to have, lazy or not.  I have 4 cats total - one who insists on living outside because I never got him fixed, two who are brother and sister and another younger cat who is blind (inbreeding).  It's amazing to see how well he's coped with being blind.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
...I want something that's going to stalk, hunt, and kill...

Get a female.
~Dg84
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
get it fixed whatever sex it is cause there are too many strays out there.
I would make it a house cat unless you want fun presents like dead animals and fleas

Been there, done that with the dead animals.  My oldest cat has brought me all sorts of delights - mice...chipmunks...a bird...  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FEMALE would be my advice.  A male who is not fixed will be VERY aggressive, but will mark EVERYBLOODYREEKING object in sight.  And soon your house will smell like cat piss in every corner, even if you have them fixed they tend to spray their territory.

The female cat that I got as a kid kicked ass and took names.  Chased the neighborhood mutts out of the yard . . . she was sweet as could be when she was a kitten, but when she got old (almost 20 yrs) she was a real bitch and we had to have her put to sleep.

Males who are fixed get lazy, because of the lack of testosterone, while females become more aggressive.

+1.  this is what my cat turned to after she was fixed.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I have found that 31 inch tires are the best when dealing with cats...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Big Plus One on all who said to fix your cat.

It is true, males are more apt to pissing on things and tearing up furniture if not neutered.  Females also tear things up (to a lesser extent), but they also go through estrus (heat) and are simply obnoxious and horny all the time for about 5-7 days.  My female cat is not fixed, and she's extraordinarily well-behaved, but when she goes through her heat, you really can't pet her without her getting all excited and drippy.

Above all, be optimistic.  If you are open enough, you will certainly learn to love your cat.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Did you get to Vote???

Thought not,I sugest a recount!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Get a female and get it fixed ASAP!!! I dragged my ass and theat damn cat went through heat twice...I wanted to kill it. Also ended up with two litters of kittens. The cat became mroe vicious outside the house and more loving inside the house after she was fixed.

ETA..whatever you get, make sure you buy a laser pointer. The best cat toy ever.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm 100% taking it in to get it fixed no matter what anyone in the family says (I don't think there will be an arguement with it anyways though). I don't want anymore cats after this one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:08:12 AM EDT
[#27]
If you ever need to get rid of a cat, here's a pretty novel way to do it:

Cat Killer

Merlin
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:39:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I have two Abyssinian cats that are 5 & 4.5 years old and are still very active, definitely the most dog like cats I have seen. I would highly recomend getting two cats, they keep each other busy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:50:09 AM EDT
[#29]
you have never had fun til you've watched a cat chase a laser pointer dot for hours
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#30]
If you are just looking for a kitten in general get it from your local human society or animal shelter.  Most kittens can be bought for $50 to $75 and that includes all their shots and getting them fixed.  I got a couple kittens from my parents farm thinking it would be cheaper since they were free...but the first vet visit for all the shots was $50 per cat.  Then to get them fixed later was another $50.  So my "free" cats actually cost me more than if I paid for one.  Definately get it fixed...they are much better behaved.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

If those are the cats I'm thinking of, they are ridiculously expensive.  In general, a random kitten in FREE (except maybe for shots, neutering, etc).

You ain't whistlin' Dixie there!  From wikipedia.org:

--
In February 1998, a F2 Bengal cat named Cato made the guinness world records by being the most expensive cat purchased. It was bought for $41,435.00 (USD) by Cindy Jackson of London, England. The Bengal cat was sold by breeder Lord C. Esmond Gay of Bedfordshire, England. Note however, that as of 2005, this Bengal cat is no longer the world record holder.
--

I've been pricing Ragdoll cats lately and I thought $600 for a kitten was expensive!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I picked up a 6-week old bottle fed kitten from the animal shelter.
Someone had dropped them off on pet-smarts doorway.

The little guy is completely awesome.

He is about 8 months old now, and was neutered when we got him.

I think neutering the cats early (male I mean) helps tone down the aggressive behavior.

He has never marked, scratches a little bit, (I just couldn't take away the guys weapons, so he is not declawed)

And he is abundle of fun.  Comes and sees me when I get home, follows me around. Wrestles with me. and we play laser pointer before I go to sleep so he isn't running around all night (I mean they are nocturnal animals)

I would highly recommend a shelter kitten, and don't pick one that looks the coolest,

the one you want will pick you.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I acquired 2 female cats about a year ago, not my choice.  I will tell you that after a couple of months they will really grow on you and you will not be making any stupid comments about shooting/eating cats anymore.  Introduce them to the outdoors and they will take to hunging, it's natural for them.  Its amazing to watch ours outside of the kitchen window.  I've never had a dog that can do things these cats can do.  I've never had a male cat so I'm not sure if they're more protective or not but our large female is a force to be reckoned with for other cats. (its also really nice to be able to leave for 4 days and not need a kennel or boarding)
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Get a female. Ours kill squirrels.

They do grow on you. I used to hate all cats. I still shoot feral cats, but I love mine. They kill anything they can. They also come running when I break out the guns.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

That is true Chaingun, we have 2 males and my wife tested allergic to their saliva.  She got a product called AllerPet and you rub it on the cats fur to cut down on the enzyme.  If the male has been nuetered, he won't spray and mark things.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
you have never had fun til you've watched a cat chase a laser pointer dot for hours

That is too funny, of course now our 105 lb Rottie likes to chase the red dot also!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#37]
If you want a furry little killer then don't get a kitten that is too young.  The best mousers are ones that are raised by their mothers- and taught to kill.  The older the kitten the better chance you have that this is the case.  Farms are great places to ask if they have any kittens, as the mothers are usually there for a purpose, and that purpose is to keep the rodents in check.

Get the kitten "fixed" and wormed.  Litter box training is no big deal.  Usually their mothers have trained them to do this, but it comes naturally anyway.  If there is an accident then scoop up the offending turd and put it in the litter box.  The kitten will bury it from instinct and get on the program.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#38]
We just adopted a female kitten from a shelter, her name is Kali, short for Kalashni-cat
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
We just adopted a female kitten from a shelter, her name is Kali, short for Kalashni-cat
www.jessjunk.com/coppermine/albums/Kali/normal_DSC00331.JPG

Awwwwwwww.   Ahem.  
I, uh, I mean, uh, nice cat you got there.  

I grew up around dogs, so I never had any experience with cats.  But a friend of mine got a couple of cats a few years ago, and we got a cat of our own last winter, and now I think cats are great.  

He'll "miss" his litterbox occasionally, but we had him fixed at six months, and he never sprays.  He picks at cloth furniture with his front claws some, but he never scratches wood.  He's been great at taking out bugs in the house, and he's so damned cute.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Sorry about your bad news...cats suck
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#41]
fixed female. Get one for "free" at the animal shelter or the feral cat rescues.

Hey, at least it isn't one of those yappy rat dogs you see being carried in purses.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Sorry about your bad news...cats suck

Was thinking the same thing - and WTF is "mom" making a decision like that without talking it over with you, 1st???

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Spayed females make excellent pets AND they're generally better hunters than males.

This one's a neutered male but I like him anyway.  He's my buddy.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
One of my hosemates and I went half-and-half on a male kitten, and he shat on my couch and pissed in my CLEAN laundry within two days.

Fortunately, he seems to have the killer instinct we're looking for, to control the bug and mouse population in our rental house.

Just out of curiosity, did the mice and bugs shit on your couch and piss in your laundry?  

And I'm curious about the "half-and-half on a new kitten".  A whole kitten ain't hardly a snack, I imagine half of one would just arouse the appetite.  Surely you weren't talking about buying a kitten.  

Edited:  Ohhh, I  misread.  You half-and-halfed on the kitten and then it shat on the couch.  Just remember: cats are like squirrels; old ones you gotta stew for a while, but the young ones are great fried up with some grits and gravey.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
www.jessjunk.com/coppermine/albums/Kali/normal_DSC00331.JPG

What an adorable kitten!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#46]
When neutered when still a kitten, there won't be that much difference between the males and the females.  Besides neutering the cat, keep it inside.

Be prepared to become a cat person.  We used to have dogs, but now will have nothing but cats.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Stand up and say no, man.  Or, just put your balls in a jar and stick them in the freezer.  Probably won't have much need for them anymore...........
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Well we picked up an 8 week old kitten and my bird has mysteriously died We got home and he was hanging from a branch in his cage.  Poor guy
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Well we picked up an 8 week old kitten and my bird has mysteriously died We got home and he was hanging from a branch in his cage.  Poor guy

The cat killed it, you must kill the cat.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I watched my brothers cat untill it died about 6 months ago. It was a Manx and it was cool as shit. It acted a lot like a dog.

If you can dish out the cash then I would find a Manx.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top