Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/22/2005 9:31:47 AM EDT
I have had 2 interviews with them already and went it to do a personality test.

After the 2nd interview I filled out hte paper work for them to do a police background check on me.  The contract I signed was a SINGLE background check.

Today after I finished my personality test I was called into they're office.  My background check was to clean.  I was never fired from any locations, no felonies or misterminers, or even traffic violations.  The manager told me my record looked to clean so he was now doing additional searches with the FBI background check of some type and he listed some other things such as contacting the people and asking them more thoural questions.

I was dumbfounded and even though I needed a job, this was a breach of our contract and my personal information.

I was cool headed but informed him the contract I signed did not authorize these other checks, and that the text for my contacts stated it was for a personality check only (I forget the exact wording at this point, but would they recommend me and do they know me stuff).  I informed him that was a breach of my personal information and I wanted to know everyone who would be seeing that information.  I told him what they did was illegal in the State of WI, but did not know if he broke any Federal laws at this point in time other then breaching a written contract.  He called his supervisor who will be calling me later today on my cellular phone.

for the record I have no CRIMINAL or traffic violations since I turned 18.  I am now 25.  And I only had 1 ticket when I first got my lisence and that was it.  Nothing else is on my record because nothing else is on my record.

Was I in the right? I am only going for a regular CSA (peion at Lowe's).  Is this normally a very shady company?  I have no money left and am now borring money just to get to they're interviews and have not paid a car payment in over a month now.  I desperately need money, but is this place worth working for?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
What is up with all of these damn background checks these days?  My wife applied for at a grocery store bakery a couple of weeks ago.  Still haven't gotten back to her about the background check.

Jiminy F'n Crismas this stuff pisses me off.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#4]
You did fine... if you don't want the job.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure they dont go back far enough to look at your spelling tests.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this Lowes some secret government organization that would require a security clearance?

PS:  I know it's a lumber store, just work with me on the humor angle here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#8]
If this is how things are done now, then I would rather be like the tens of thousands that do nothing and get paid by the gov.  At least they don't require themselves to know my financial situations and everything else from the the FBI or whoever they want! not really but just about.

This really pisses me off.

I answered everything thuthfully and this is what you get in return in the US now?  Used to be if you were honest, hard working, and loyal to your company you were rewarded.  Not a trouble maker
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not seeing very much trust here.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Two words...

Infinite liability.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I hope walmart calls me back.  I could get 10% off things in the store at least then.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#13]
It all depends on what's in the contract, and how badly you need that particular job.  I take it Lowe's isn't a career move for you.

H
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn.

I agree with you 100% on the principality of the issue.

However,  you should pick and choose your battles wisely.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It all depends on what's in the contract, and how badly you need that particular job.  I take it Lowe's isn't a career move for you.

H

I used to run my own small computer business untill times got rough.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Damn.

Bingo. The guy is just doing HIS job. Last thing he wants on his watch is someone showing up squeaky clean on the background check, and then blowing away half the night shift.

Empathy Danielson. Must put self in other's shoe before unleash emotion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I was calm the whole time and never rose my tone or voice to him.  I still wanted the job.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I was calm the whole time and never rose my tone or voice to him.  I still wanted the job.

GO TO COLLEGE
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I had the SAME problem with a Security Contractor in Clearwater. When they ran my background it SPOTLESS so they did some VERY VERY deep searching and when I STILL came up clean they gave me a job. Kinda weird how companies are MORE concerned if a record is very clean
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GO TO COLLEGE

College is OVER-RATED I have a degree and it got me SQUAT
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Multiple BIs to work at Lowe's?

Good lord. I understand wanting to keep violent felons and pederasses out of contact with your customers, but this seems like a bit much.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Two words...

Infinite liability.

+1 You can thank all the ambulance chasing lawyers. If they hire someone with a criminal history who winds up going postal with a customer, then they'll get the hell sued out of them for negligence.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#23]
If Lowe's is doing something illegal, then legal action needs to be taken to stop the illegal actions.

Am I the only one that sees this?????
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Doesn't matter. Put yourself in his shoes... here you've got a prospective employee who is challenging him on a minor technicality of the application process of employment -- talking about breaking laws with how many background checks, etc...

What's this employee going to be like when they don't agree with how product SKUs are printed on the label or how boxes are stacked on the forklift in receiving?

No offense, but I wouldn't hire you either. I am sure you're a good worker and would do your job the way that you've been trained... most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Make sure they dont go back far enough to look at your spelling tests.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn.

Bingo. The guy is just doing HIS job. Last thing he wants on his watch is someone showing up squeaky clean on the background check, and then blowing away half the night shift.

Shoulda kept your mouth shut, gotten the job, then looked for another job.
Easier to find a new job while you are still working
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#27]
This is probably very small consolation to you, Luxan, but I think you did the right thing.
Lowes conducted their background check on you, they conducted two interviews with you, you filled out their personality test.  These companies do not IMO have unlimited right to dig and dig and dig into your past.  I know there are a lot of folks who will disagree vehemently with me on this.  Some people seem to think that once you work for someone or even apply for a job that that constitutes some sort of indentured servitude in which you no longer have any rights as a citizen.  
It sounds to me that you stood up for what you understood was your fulfilment of your end of the deal as initially put forward to you by Lowes.  You did your part in good faith and that gives you every right to question further investigations, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Um, I going to take a wild guess here, but you never signed a CONTRACT with Lowes. You signed a release. In most large corporations like Lowes only a company officer can authorize a contract with an employee.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn.

What a crock of shit......

"just doing his job"....

Do we need to list all the times that phrase has been used to cover someone's ass when they deserved to fry for their actions???

I have zero patience for companies that want to crawl up your ass for a simple job, or when you wish to be a customer....

11,000,000 ILLEGAL motherfuckers here...... but you want to check MY background???

Gimme a break.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#30]
{sigh}

Which is exactly why each and every one of us just 'tells the man like it is' everytime our employer comes around with something stupud.

Dilbert anyone? Anyone?

If we all spoke our minds at the drop of a hat, nobody would have any job.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

11,000,000 ILLEGAL motherfuckers here...... but you want to check MY background???

Gimme a break.

Yea, but how many of them work at Lowes?

Maybe if EVERY employer did a background check, and only hired citizens...

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
{sigh}

Which is exactly why each and every one of us just 'tells the man like it is' everytime our employer comes around with something stupud.

Dilbert anyone? Anyone?

You rang?  What can I do for you today?  FWIW if I didn't have anything to hide and I needed the job, I would have just laughed it off and challenged them to find something.  But that's just me, YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Sorry. If you snuck across the border last week, you would be good to go.

Yep...............
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
{sigh}

Dilbert anyone? Anyone?

We have a winner…

If you want to work most places you learn when to shut your mouth. If you cannot do that you need to work for yourself, because you will have trouble.

AND

The last thing I am going to do is hire somebody that wants to lecture me on my hiring process.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
{sigh}

Dilbert anyone? Anyone?

I'm pretty much self employed because corporate bullshit/politics makes me ill.
I'd give up income to be able to distance myself from the sickness that infects much of the business world and culture.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'd give up income to be able to distance myself from the sickness that infects much of the business world and culture.

+100000
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn.

What a crock of shit......

"just doing his job"....

Do we need to list all the times that phrase has been used to cover someone's ass when they deserved to fry for their actions???

I have zero patience for companies that want to crawl up your ass for a simple job, or when you wish to be a customer....

Gimme a break.

Then don't boohoo that you didnt get the job.  
Like I said, I agree on the principality but there is a time to fight back and a time to shut your mouth.    When you need a job to pay your bills and keep you off the street, it is SIMPLY the WRONG TIME to bring up petty BS about a background check.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#38]
"too clean"  this guy has been watching way to much hollywood...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#39]
By now you've figured out that your application has been stamp with

DO NOT HIRE

Look elsewhere for employment.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#40]
FWIW, I think that morally you're on solid ground and that they have NO right to dig further than their normal policy dictates. That said, you're screwed. They will interpret your objections as a future indicator of endless threats of litigation if they hire you.

When they call you, they're going to tell you that regretfully the position was filled with a 'more qualified' candidate and that they wish you luck in your search for a job.

To be honest, in your position and very much needing a job, I'd have laughed at the interviewers surprise at my clean record and challenged him to find any problems in my background. (in a nice, polite way of course). Let them look would've been my attitude. Yeah, I know, it's called sucking up. Sometimes being able to make a car payment is worth losing a tiny moral battle. At least to me it is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Tell them you were banned at Glocktalk twice & then you'll be in like Flynn.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
{sigh}

Dilbert anyone? Anyone?

YMMV

No. It's called being diplomatic. It's knowing when to object and when to keep your mouth shut.

IMHO, it's also called emotional maturity.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
This is probably very small consolation to you, Luxan, but I think you did the right thing.
Lowes conducted their background check on you, they conducted two interviews with you, you filled out their personality test.  These companies do not IMO have unlimited right to dig and dig and dig into your past.  I know there are a lot of folks who will disagree vehemently with me on this.  Some people seem to think that once you work for someone or even apply for a job that that constitutes some sort of indentured servitude in which you no longer have any rights as a citizen.  
It sounds to me that you stood up for what you understood was your fulfilment of your end of the deal as initially put forward to you by Lowes.  You did your part in good faith and that gives you every right to question further investigations, in my opinion.

I gotta agree with Coolio here....he jumped through the hoops, they did a background check...then they want to go to the FBI and do a deeper background check?

WTF, over?

I mean its a job at Lowes....a fricking hardware store...it ain't building nuclear subs with General Dynamics, or calling in covert strikes with the NSA, its stocking shelves!

I'd be a little curious if some shit store I applied to wanted to crawl up my ass with a microscope too....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
{sigh}

Dilbert anyone? Anyone?

YMMV

No. It's called being diplomatic. It's knowing when to object and when to keep your mouth shut.

Well said....know your place peasant and shut your yap.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
If you have nothing to hide, then let them continue to look for nothing for a while.

Could you sound more JBT'ish?

I know you aren't from your attitude in other matters, and how you so often help folks with law enforcement questions.  
But holy crap, you even phrased it in the "approved JBT" terminology.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Show them a copy of your NFA papers to let them know how squeaky clean you are.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Show them a copy of your NFA papers to let them know how squeaky clean you are.

True, I woulda whipped out my CHL.
Hell, Ohio is even switching to an FBI background check, rather than a plain old sheriff background check.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#48]
I think many of you are confused about how the capitalist job market works. If Lowes wants to have onerous hiring practices it is their right. It is equally your right to not work there. Go work somewhere that better suits your ideas of justice and fairness.

Remember: A job is privilege, not a right.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
{sigh}

Dilbert anyone? Anyone?

YMMV

Well said....know your place peasant and shut your yap.

Oh comeon... knowing how to pick your battles is the mark of a great leader. Charging towards every crowd with a different banner with your sword swinging is a good way to quickly get killed.

{speaking in a purely figurative sense}
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Today after I finished my personality test I was called into they're office.  My background check was to clean.  I was never fired from any locations, no felonies or misterminers, or even traffic violations.  The manager told me my record looked to clean so he was now doing additional searches with the FBI background check of some type and he listed some other things such as contacting the people and asking them more thoural questions.

Dude, this could be stretch but that manager might have been attracted to you and was more interested in smoking your pole than hiring you.  His expansion of the investigation might be to satisfy his own personal curiosity.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top