Page / 2
Posted: 8/11/2005 6:50:44 PM EDT
Just my 2 cents worth
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#1]
A storm is coming.......
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Should there be a limit on how many times you can post in a year before they call you a post whore.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
There should be a limit for team members, too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Good idea!!!!!!!

If the owner's wanted money upfront for all memebers, it would be that way.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just my 2 cents worth

+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just my 2 cents worth

The problem with that idea, is that it would start to lessen the amount of traffic that the dealers get seeing their ads.

I imagine that is bad for everyone.

- G
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Good idea!!!!!!!

+$20
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good idea!!!!!!!

+$20

+$4 more
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes - 1033

Been nice knowing you.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just my 2 cents worth

Took me over 3000 posts before I joined. Had I been cut off I would never have joined.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Bunch of Star-Bellied Sneeches!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#13]
That's dumb... if people spend lots of time on here, and aren't a Team Member, they're being dumb.  It's so much easier as a team member.  Archives, "Active Topics", "My Active Topics", etc... I can't believe I used ARFcom for 2 months before joining the team.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Since there are a plethora of adverts, PAYING ADVERTS, any limits on non-member posting would decrease the advertising rate.

For members, why should we PAY to see ads?  I see 9 right now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#15]
There should be a quality check before any thread is approved. I suggest the following criteria;

Babe of the day
9 mm versus .45
If you could only have one gun
Best AR15
That gun from HEAT
Babe of the day with guns
Any thread started by a female
Food and guns with Pics.

Everything else should be judged on a case by case basis by a panel of post whores.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to visit a forum that was free and open and people could donate money if they wanted to. Then they made it compulsory to pay after a certain time of free posting. The site is a shell of what it was. Instead of a large active user base it is now small and the site largely dead.

Even if someone is willing to pay when it is not compulsory, many people wont if it is made mandatory and will go elsewhere. Plus some people have tight budgets and even if they could spare $20 they have higher more tangible priorities for that $20 and valuable members could be lost for no good reason.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I joined more as what I thought was a donation... the perks made it beyond worth it.
I'm just waiting for this account to expire, so I can switch to my other username in the fall.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Well, I joined more as what I thought was a donation... the perks made it beyond worth it.
I'm just waiting for this account to expire, so I can switch to my other username in the fall.

It's called money. $24 is a good percentage of $35 for an NRA membership.

$24 can get you some ammo. It can get many other things as well and some people have other things that take more priority.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Just to be able to go through 25 pages of the finest butts available on the internet(in the team forum) is worth the price.

Nonmembers have no idea what they are missing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just my 2 cents worth

Thank you. Now go back to gunsnet.net.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes!

And then above say 1000 posts you should be required to go with a Gold membership.

And above 1500 posts you should be required to pay for the Platinum membership.

Of course after that it would be a series of payments much like paying for text messaging over your phone.

Sweet!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yes!

And then above say 1000 posts you should be required to go with a Gold membership.

Of course after that it would be a series of payments much like paying for text messaging over your phone.

Sweet!

SgtAR15 would go broke .........
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#24]
After some thought, it needs to be the other way.  You should have 1000 posts before you could BECOME a team member.  We have had too many paying members that thought they could bend the rules.  This causes problems with banning since they are paying members.

IMHO, the bandwidt problems are due to too many paying members and all of those ads.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes!

Sweet!

SgtAR15 would go broke .........

Not if he only posted actual content.. he could dig that out of the sofa.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I whole-heartedly agree with the original post.  

You should not be allowed to exceed 1,000,000 posts without becoming a paying member.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
After some thought, it needs to be the other way.  You should have 1000 posts before you could BECOME a team member.  We have had too many paying members that thought they could bend the rules.  This causes problems with banning since they are paying members.

IMHO, the bandwidt problems are due to too many paying members and all of those ads.

I may never hit 1000 posts. The only reason I've posted so much lately is because I'm recovering from surgery and on leave from work.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#31]
You're right, that was a conduct code violation.  IM warning sent. ~ 82ndAbn
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd quit posting here if it I was ever required to pay anything to keep posting.

The site is fine with the way it is. There are thousands of team members.

My firearms-related contributions are limited to my NRA EPL, Arfcom, and free lunch at Sturmgewehr. All are 100% voluntary.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#34]
My membership became active on post #48 IIRC

I feel that if I'm using a service, I should pay for it.

Thats just me
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Should there be a limit on how many times you can post in a year before they call you a post whore.

+1

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I also think all team members should be forced to pass a background check and a piss test.

MrCleanForHire can supervise.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#37]
If the site made paid membership compulsory after a certain number of posts, it would die.  The owners know this and that is why it would never happen.  

What is happening is arfcom is turning into an internet version of Junior High School.  Cliques have developed and high post count members pollute nearly every general discussion topic and most others in other forums.  They fancy themselves as the “popular” kids in school an treat everyone who is not a paid member or have a multi-thousand count as someone they can shit on or dismiss out of hand as a troll.  Everyone sees this happening and it is killing the site.  I’m sure goatboy is reading the logs and I would bet a lot of money that he is seeing greater numbers of new members who post for a while and then fall off or leave all together.  The sad thing about this is that a lot of these high post “popular” kids are the definition of junior high “losers”.  Think about it, look at the numbers.  Forget the total number of post and look at the number of posts per day.  Think about how much time someone has to spend glued to the screen to post 20, 25 or even 35 posts a day.  And in some cases this goes on for 3, 4 or 5 years.  That’s 20+ posts a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year for years on end.  By definition these people have absolutely nothing to say.  How could they?  They literally do nothing else.  

I’m sorry but these guys are burying one of the best website communities on the internet.  At this point, I don’t think anything can be done to fix this.  Perhaps it would be helpful for arfcom to start doing what some other sites do with the member’s post count.  They list the actual post count until the member hits a thousand.  After that, they list the count as “1000+”.  If nothing else, this might limit the smiley face and “+1” crap that adds nothing to good conversation and debate.  If you have something to say……….say it.  Don’t hide behind 23,345 posts and expect everyone to like you because of it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

$24 can get you some ammo. It can get many other things as well and some people have other things that take more priority.

Then some people have just been banned so many times they get tired of buying memberships.

Shagt15
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Just to be able to go through 25 pages of the finest butts available on the internet(in the team forum) is worth the price.

Nonmembers have no idea what they are missing.

I guess im gonna have to break down and spend my gas money on a membership...I love to look at T&A all day

by the way: gig 'em        yall are goin down this year at Kyle Field
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If the site made paid membership compulsory after a certain number of posts, it would die.  The owners know this and that is why it would never happen.  

What is happening is arfcom is turning into an internet version of Junior High School.  Cliques have developed and high post count members pollute nearly every general discussion topic and most others in other forums.  They fancy themselves as the “popular” kids in school an treat everyone who is not a paid member or have a multi-thousand count as someone they can shit on or dismiss out of hand as a troll.  Everyone sees this happening and it is killing the site.  I’m sure goatboy is reading the logs and I would bet a lot of money that he is seeing greater numbers of new members who post for a while and then fall off or leave all together.  The sad thing about this is that a lot of these high post “popular” kids are the definition of junior high “losers”.  Think about it, look at the numbers.  Forget the total number of post and look at the number of posts per day.  Think about how much time someone has to spend glued to the screen to post 20, 25 or even 35 posts a day.  And in some cases this goes on for 3, 4 or 5 years.  That’s 20+ posts a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year for years on end.  By definition these people have absolutely nothing to say.  How could they?  They literally do nothing else.  

I’m sorry but these guys are burying one of the best website communities on the internet.  At this point, I don’t think anything can be done to fix this.  Perhaps it would be helpful for arfcom to start doing what some other sites do with the member’s post count.  They list the actual post count until the member hits a thousand.  After that, they list the count as “1000+”.If nothing else, this might limit the smiley face and “+1” crap that adds nothing to good conversation and debate.  If you have something to say……….say it.  Don’t hide behind 23,345 posts and expect everyone to like you because of it.

+1

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#41]
No there shouldn't.

Membership has it's privileges.

The vast majority of AR15.com revenue comes from it's advertisers above and Dealers not it's members.

If this were not the case then perhaps they would drop GayPal and hook up with a Credit Card Company to facilitate memberships.

Bushmaster, Armalite, Trijicon, Bravo Company, SKD, StagArms and AMEETEC don't give a shit if you are an AR15.com member or not.  They want you to see their ad.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
+1

+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Um...speaking of bandwidth problems...does anybody really read the threads on page 138? ... (besides the DUPE posters that pounce on you like Kirsty Ally on a jelly doughnut and berate your topic because it was clearly discussed on page 137)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Just my 2 cents worth

Keep your 2 cents.......$20.00 Troll.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then some people have just been banned so many times they get tired of buying memberships.

Shagt15

Shagt15? Too freaken much! LMAO!

Uncontrollably laughing! For the record...was that intentional?

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#46]
+1........just trying to boost my post count so I can be one of the cool kids too!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
+1........just trying to boost my post count so I can be one of the cool kids too!

Try harder, much harder.....and someday when you have 3000+ post, Sgtar15 will say....Who are you?

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I figure this would be a perfect place to celebrate post number 223.  Woot-Woot
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try harder, much harder.....and someday when you have 3000+ post, Sgtar15 will say....Who are you?

Apparently it's NOW Shagt15
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Maybe we should have an IQ minimum as well?

Remember, it takes 10 IQ points to breathe.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top