Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was wondering why nobody follows orders...

Bullets outrank everybody, that's why I say combat is a clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
yea

it is on saturday at 8pm central (9 maybe, not sure but you won't miss it with either guess.)

it's not that noone follows orders, probably that there's just always someone who doesn't follow orders.

FX gets away with enough as it is.  they don't need FUCK on TV.  I watch "rescue me" "the shield" "nip/tuck" and i'm sure something else...  I get to hear "faggot" "cock" "cocksucker" "asshole" "ass pirate" "tits" "pussy" "pole smoker" "jizz" and all sorts of other colorful words and combinations.  I'm 28 years old, don't practice a religion and don't consider myself a prude, but the language is getting a little intense.  I remember when Bruce Willis and Cybil Sheperd were able to call each other "bitch" and "bastard" and how it was the first time on tv for each word way back in the days of moonlighting.  we've come a long way...

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:02:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was wondering why nobody follows orders...

That didn't seem to be the case to me.  The only guy who consistently doesn't follow orders is the one Black Power dude (who they have portrayed as an asshole).  Dim ignored orders once, but he's being portrayed as a college-boy-overthinker.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:11:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought #2 was much better then #1.  There were somethings that bothered me, but I remembered that it's a TV show.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:31:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So when it repeats this weekend, should I watch it or not?

tonight was ok, much better than the first but i gotta say, this is a badly written show. fuck all the politics and anti-war slant, it's just badly written. someone compared it to "combat" and that's a damn good description. combat was new and interesting for it's time. this show just has cliche after cliche and it must have a really small budget cuz i think all they can afford is a couple of humvees and a few six by's.

all that said, i like the tariq character and will watch to see how that works out.

next week is the abu ghraib story...can't fucking wait to see how we get slammed in that!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:35:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
From what I have heard of the show it is VERY anti-war and anti-Bush.

So WTF would I want to watch it?

Sgat1r5

I told my wife that when we saw the first preview.

Hell look at the propoganda job FX did with the LA Robbery piece.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:06:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Painful to watch as not only is the story propaganda for the suicidal left, the acting sucks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:33:44 AM EDT
[#8]

not only is the story propaganda for the suicidal left

Didn't really see that...to what part are you referring?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:05:52 AM EDT
[#9]
The fact that the insurgents use children and women and old people as a screen came through pretty clear in this episode.  The bad guys don't care who gets killed to save themselves.  Thats a fact people (sheeple) need to understand.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:21:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
From what I have heard of the show it is VERY anti-war and anti-Bush.

So WTF would I want to watch it?

Sgat1r5

No it's not. The show's politics are only what you project on it yourself.

And most war movies and shows are in a way anti war.

I didn't catch the second epasode but I wanted to, just had more important things to do besides sit in front of the TV.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

gee, that's exactly what the hollyweird critic said...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:26:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Saw the commercials during Blackhawk last night. Didn't even think about watching it. More media bullshit, looks like to me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:36:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What percentage of the US Military is Arab-American.  Last night they introduced an Arab-American soldier.  Since this isn't typical of the US Military, therefore it was introduced in the story line for a purpose.  I assume it is to prove that the majority Arab-Americans pro-US, even though polls show otherwise.    It doesn't matter, the fact they ventured out of the typical into the atypical proves an agenda.  What the agenda is up to interprepation.

Another example, this dealing with the atrocities being commited in Iraq.  Little girl get's killed by US forces in a car speeding at a checkpoint.  Why was there no examination of the type of monster that would put a child in harms way like that?  They only portrayed a soldier starting to fall apart.

I look foward to an episode where the soldiers are building a school for kids and no one get's shot or blown up.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:44:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

gee, that's exactly what the hollyweird critic said...

And from what I have seen of the show, only the first episode mind you,  I have to agree. You don't think that maybe some of the guys that went over there for real didn't share the same thoughts after their first experiance in combat? I have a friend I went to highschool with who was there for the initial invasion, doens't talk much about it, but when he does, you get the feeling that he felt very similar to Dim after the first time. Most people are not used to shooting another human being, regardless of the situation, if you don't think that ways on your mind your crazy. Sure you may after a little while be able to look at it and say fuck it it was him or me, but right after you are going to have a shitload of thoughts running through your head.

When does the second episode re-play??
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Is this bitching gonna go on for every episode?  mostly from those who won't even watch them?  It's entertainment, if you're not entertained, change the channel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What percentage of the US Military is Arab-American.  Last night they introduced an Arab-American soldier.  Since this isn't typical of the US Military, therefore it was introduced in the story line for a purpose.  I assume it is to prove that the majority Arab-Americans pro-US, even though polls show otherwise.    It doesn't matter, the fact they ventured out of the typical into the atypical proves an agenda.  What the agenda is up to interprepation.

Another example, this dealing with the atrocities being commited in Iraq.  Little girl get's killed by US forces in a car speeding at a checkpoint.  Why was there no examination of the type of monster that would put a child in harms way like that?  They only portrayed a soldier starting to fall apart.

I look foward to an episode where the soldiers are building a school for kids and no one get's shot or blown up.

I don't know the percentage, but, when I went over with ETC: A/1-7 Cav in 96 we had a Lebbonese mechanic, and, one second generation Egyptian tanker.  The tanker was pretty assimilated, and, seemed pretty much like everyone else.  He didn't even speak the language.  The mechanic was working on his citizenship.  He was pretty pro-US, but, didn't like Israel too much.  The mechanic was very helpful doing interpretation when we trained the Kuwaitis...For all the freakin' good it did.

BTW, I actually thought the scene you were refering to was actually pretty good.  An intellectual over-thinker getting confronted with a situation like that, could well react in a similar fashion.  As you saw, they didn't "abuse" him.    I wouldn't expect there to be an "examination" of the use of civilians.  I thought it was brought up well enough.  Good writing doesn't "tell".  It "shows" and, I think it did that pretty well.

My big problem with this episode was the use of non existant pro-words like "POSREP" to give a six digit grid to thier checkpoint-the following morning-having been left at that spot by thier PL-the previous day,and having been there all night, presumably staying in good comms on the platoon and/or company net.  Kinda like saying "Over and out" or "Roger WILCO".  I'm waiting for those shortly.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Is this bitching gonna go on for every episode?  mostly from those who won't even watch them?  It's entertainment, if you're not entertained, change the channel.

No shit. Some people forget this is nothing more then a TV show.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are approximately 3,500 Arab- Americans serving in our Armed Forces. Source

The exact precentage I don't know.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:57:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grab the tin foil.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I don't know the percentage...

BTW, I actually thought the scene you were refering to was actually pretty good.  An intellectual over-thinker getting confronted with a situation like that, could well react in a similar fashion.  As you saw, they didn't "abuse" him.    I wouldn't expect there to be an "examination" of the use of civilians.  I thought it was brought up well enough.  Good writing doesn't "tell".  It "shows" and, I think it did that pretty well.

My big problem with this episode was the use of non existant pro-words like "POSREP" to give a six digit grid to thier checkpoint-the following morning-having been left at that spot by thier PL-the previous day,and having been there all night, presumably staying in good comms on the platoon and/or company net.  Kinda like saying "Over and out" or "Roger WILCO".  I'm waiting for those shortly.

First and formost, thank you for service.

I think you'd accept that the percentage of Arab-American serving in the US military is small.

They actually did mildly abuse him, though it was an african-american that did it, the seargant who was undecided and a caucasian that somewhat befriended him.

Anyways, my point was to demonstrate a political agenda by highlighting the fact they are focusing on the abnormal situation, rather than the normal.

What drives me away from this show, as I stated earlier is the bad acting.  It seems the technical inaccuracies are more bothersome to you.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know the percentage...

First and formost, thank you for service.

I think you'd accept that the percentage of Arab-American serving in the US military is small.

They actually did mildly abuse him, though it was an african-american that did it, the seargant who was undecided and a caucasian that somewhat befriended him.

Anyways, my point was to demonstrate a political agenda by highlighting the fact they are focusing on the abnormal situation, rather than the normal.

What drives me away from this show, as I stated earlier is the bad acting.  It seems the technical inaccuracies are more bothersome to you.

Well, it's like police shows.  If they showed cops eating doghnuts and, sleeping in thier patrol cars all day, or driving around with a few traffic stops, or domestics, nobody would watch.  They intentionally dramatize circumstances to make a viable show.  I'll fogive them that.  If you watch TV, I think you have to.

The bad acting....well...lol...That's TV for you.  I think the college boy is pretty good, and, I think that SGT was pretty good.  I actually smiled when he barked at the black guy to go get some sleep.  I thought the guy playing the Arab soldier was pretty good too, for as much as he had to do.

Technical inaccuraces drive up the friggin WALL!  If you are going to do a show about the military, get guys that know what they are doing to advise you, and, have them scrub the takes as they go.

I understand what you're saying, but, honestly, I think they did a pretty fair job overall with this episode.

Oh and, yeah, I'll agree the % of Arab Americans is pretty small in the Army, but, you can't just ignore them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#23]
The Afro-Power character's name is Williams I believe.  His nickname is definitely Smoke.  He likes to smoke the "herb" while on duty.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Sorry, I liked the show.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:14:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Well, it's like police shows.  If they showed cops eating doghnuts and, sleeping in thier patrol cars all day, or driving around with a few traffic stops, or domestics, nobody would watch.  They intentionally dramatize circumstances to make a viable show.  I'll fogive them that.  If you watch TV, I think you have to.

Ever seen Adam-12 or Dragnet?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Bullshit show.  Full of obvious and covert anti-war and anti-Bush propaganda.

I watched maybe ten minutes and shut the toob off.

Liberal Hollyweird asshats!  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:22:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, I think I layed out my case pretty well.  Time to work.  

It's not like I'm employed by George Soros to surf right of center websites and post counter viewpoints.  

I know, I know, someone is going to debate me that pro-gun is ACTUALLY a left of center issue.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:38:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Some of you guys have some serious fucking issues.  First of all, it is a TV show.  It is not real.  Things are not going to be like in real life cause guess what?  It aint real.  

It's a fucking TV show.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:41:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dragnet was written in a particular style, and, it was written in and for a different time.  Dragnet wouldn't last 1/2 a season today.   I actually like the show, even if Jack Webb was about the most wooden stiff-ass actor I've ever seen....At least on that show.

Adam-12, I admit, I haven't seen a great deal of, so I can't comment there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Some of you guys have some serious fucking issues.  First of all, it is a TV show.  It is not real.  Things are not going to be like in real life cause guess what?  It aint real.  

It's a fucking TV show.  

That isn't the point.  I think we can all accept dramatization to a degree.  I think we can all accept there has to be a "suspension of disbelief" to a degree.  It's the degree to which it is acceptable to the individual that dictates if they like, or don't like a show.

Politics-wise, I didn't think is was too bad.  It showed terorists getting killed in the war, and, the terrorists using innocent children to shield thier activities.  It showed conflict among soldiers.  It showed racial comments between soldiers.  It showed solider under extreme stress.  It showed wounded soldiers, and, the effects of that on them and thier families.  I don't think that any honest look at the overall situation in wartime can ignore any of those factors.

My issure with the show is technical inaccuracies.  I find that inexcusable in any military show.  That's why my wife can't watch with me..She can't take my bitching
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dragnet was written in a particular style, and, it was written in and for a different time.  Dragnet wouldn't last 1/2 a season today.   I actually like the show, even if Jack Webb was about the most wooden stiff-ass actor I've ever seen....At least on that show.

Jack Webb created, produced, wrote, and directed Dragnet, Adam-12, and Emergency.

The original B+W Dragnet movie is soemthing to see................... Before Miranda.............. We are going to stay here until you confess, you will not sleep, or eat, until you confess............ showed them switching off detectives after thier shifts were over so a fresh group could keep questioning the suspect.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:03:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jack Webb created, produced, wrote, and directed Dragnet, Adam-12, and Emergency.

The original B+W Dragnet movie is soemthing to see................... Before Miranda.............. We are going to stay here until you confess, you will not sleep, or eat, until you confess............ showed them switching off detectives after thier shifts were over so a fresh group could keep questioning the suspect.

I friggin' LOVED Emergency.  I loved how Randolf Mantooth would flick off the cap on the tube of "D5W TKO" (The same call, every time ).  That show is why I went into EMS later.

Webb may've been a technical genius, but, I'm sorry, I stil thought he was stiff as a board as an actor.

And, the point you bring up is a good one.  Even in the mildness of the time for dramas, it shows somthing that is inherently dramatic taking place.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

It's a fucking TV show.  

We do not have "issues"  We have knowlege of the difference between ground truth and bullshit.

The problem is, as has been already stated here, that the show is full of bias and bullshit!  If Bochco had REALLY wanted to produce a true rendition of what life is like for our troops and their loved ones back home, he could have done so.  Instead, he chose the path he has taken and that means lots of Hollywood propaganda, bias and bullshit against the war and GWB.

You insult the vets who have, "have been there, done that" by your comments.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
You would have to pay me to watch it a second time.

Let’s see what my problems were:

1. The Black dude with racial problems.  Isn’t Racial Awareness Program (RAP) 2 in around?  Even if they renamed the thing.
2. The Army is still about Team ship.  I didn’t see much of it.
3. Smoking refers.  That’s a nice and quick way to get kicked out.
4. Nicknames.  Really?  Since when?
5. Backup, backup, backup!  Only a squad guarding the mosque?  And a reduced squad at that?  Where is everybody else?  That squad should have more support!  It should have at least looked like there were others besides them.
6. Just how long does a Basic Load of ammo last?  At the rate they were shooting I’d expect that they would run out of ammo in less than 30 minutes.  Make that 10 minutes at the most.
7. Spread out!  Get your intervals!  No less than 5 yards in between each soldier!  It would be one thing when clearing out a room in a building.  But out in the open?  The Bad Guys did it better.  They (the Bad Guys) attacked like idiots, but they were spread out properly.
8. Mrs. B would have been sent to the rear with that head would.  OK, she was only knocked unconscious, but she still would have been evacuated.  She could be sent back later.

I wonder what Rusted Ace will have to say about the show.

Depends on how badly she is wounded, according to 9-line medevac categories.

But yeah, 9 people took on like 65 in the open?  They would have seen the soldiers at the berm and flanked both sides at the same time, as well as a frontal assault and completely obliterated the soldiers.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You would have to pay me to watch it a second time.

Let’s see what my problems were:

1. The Black dude with racial problems.  Isn’t Racial Awareness Program (RAP) 2 in around?  Even if they renamed the thing.
2. The Army is still about Team ship.  I didn’t see much of it.
3. Smoking refers.  That’s a nice and quick way to get kicked out.
4. Nicknames.  Really?  Since when?
5. Backup, backup, backup!  Only a squad guarding the mosque?  And a reduced squad at that?  Where is everybody else?  That squad should have more support!  It should have at least looked like there were others besides them.
6. Just how long does a Basic Load of ammo last?  At the rate they were shooting I’d expect that they would run out of ammo in less than 30 minutes.  Make that 10 minutes at the most.
7. Spread out!  Get your intervals!  No less than 5 yards in between each soldier!  It would be one thing when clearing out a room in a building.  But out in the open?  The Bad Guys did it better.  They (the Bad Guys) attacked like idiots, but they were spread out properly.
8. Mrs. B would have been sent to the rear with that head would.  OK, she was only knocked unconscious, but she still would have been evacuated.  She could be sent back later.

I wonder what Rusted Ace will have to say about the show.

Depends on how badly she is wounded, according to 9-line medevac categories.

But yeah, 9 people took on like 65 in the open?  They would have seen the soldiers at the berm and flanked both sides at the same time, as well as a frontal assault and completely obliterated the soldiers.

+1 on the head wound.  If she was knocked out and, then, came too, Id've done an assesment on her,a nd, if she can walk and, shoot, she's good to go.  It's a shooting war.  She did sustain a concussion, so she needs to get seen at some point, but, football players get hurt worse and, go back out and play.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a fucking TV show.  

We do not have "issues"  We have knowlege of the difference between ground truth and bullshit.

The problem is, as has been already stated here, that the show is full of bias and bullshit!  If Bochco had REALLY wanted to produce a true rendition of what life is like for our troops and their loved ones back home, he could have done so.  Instead, he chose the path he has taken and that means lots of Hollywood propaganda, bias and bullshit against the war and GWB.

Wilde, I didn't see the first episode, so, I dont' have the whole snapshot of the show, but, the second episode seemed fairly good to me, as far as bias.  I think it was leaning more towards sympathy with our soldiers and, a more conservitive view of things.  

What were your issues with the second episode?  If you didn't see it, that's cool, but, understand it's not just one episode that makes up a series.

My main problems were that they are covering too broad a scope, so no one theme gets it's just due, and, the technical problems are pretty clear.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

zulu -5: sat 2200 050806, sun 2300 050807, tue 2300 050809
east coast times: sat 10:00pm aug 6, 2005; sun 11:00pm aug 7, 2005; tue 11:00pm aug 9, 2005
hahahahaha
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i understand the times and dates but those dates are fucking stupid.  we read left to right and the information should either "increase" or "decrease" in detail- putting the year in between the time and day is stupid.  

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WATCH 10 MINUTES AND THEN MAKE A JUDGEMENT, YOU ARE AS BAD AS THE LIBERALS WHO LOOK AT A BLACK RIFLE AND SAY IT'S EVIL.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
why are they NOT turning on their OTALs when the cars are coming?  That OUGHT to provide much more than a warning shot, right?  

I read something about olympic rollmarks on the other thread.  I saw them myself on more than one occasion.

questions-

1.) why aren't they using their OTALs for illumination in last week's NVG "recon" or in this evening's roadblock?
2.) would a brand new set of guys "over there" have the newer ribbed stocks?  
3.) is it normal to quite often, as dim does, to sling your rifle over your shoulder using the sling as a 2 point and not a 3 point?
4.) where the F*$@ else have I seen the sergeant before?  
5.) where have I seen Smoke before? how about Dim, doublewide, Nassiri or anyone else?
6.) do you think the actor playing dim should get an award for that god awful yell he let out when he saw the girl wasn't as alive as he thought she was?  out of all of the guys he's with, he's seen the most shit, that's for sure...

The guy who plays Sgt. Scream was also in U-571. He was the one who's body got flushed out the torpedo tube when they were creating a field of debris.

I enjoyed the second episode much better than the first. I just thought the first episode sucked because it was just bad writing, not for any political reason. I would love for it to be 100% correct as far as tactics and everything else but that is NEVER going to happen in Hollywierd.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#40]
just watch the 2nd episode.it was a decent show and i will watch the next episode
don't get how it is

LWilde
Full of obvious and covert anti-war and anti-Bush propaganda

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i understand the times and dates but those dates are fucking stupid.  we read left to right and the information should either "increase" or "decrease" in detail- putting the year in between the time and day is stupid.  

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WATCH 10 MINUTES AND THEN MAKE A JUDGEMENT, YOU ARE AS BAD AS THE LIBERALS WHO LOOK AT A BLACK RIFLE AND SAY IT'S EVIL.  

In military time it would be 062200Z AUG 2005, 072300Z AUG 2005, and 092300Z AUG 2005.

I have watched the first two episodes and have a problem with the "Dim" charachter, he's a 'Joker' remake from Full Metal Jacket, only a really BAD one. The guy is a pussy and believes he is smarter than everybody else in the Army combined. I hope the writers reign him in and don't let his anti-American viewpoint ruin the show!

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a fucking TV show.  

Wilde, I didn't see the first episode, so, I dont' have the whole snapshot of the show, but, the second episode seemed fairly good to me, as far as bias.  I think it was leaning more towards sympathy with our soldiers and, a more conservitive view of things.  

What were your issues with the second episode?  If you didn't see it, that's cool, but, understand it's not just one episode that makes up a series.

My main problems were that they are covering too broad a scope, so no one theme gets it's just due, and, the technical problems are pretty clear.

Good points.   I must answer with some questions:

Why don't they show the great courage and outstanding leadership qualities of our grunts?  Not ALL JOs are arrogant, selfish, unthinking, sarcastic buffoons who don't have the welfare of their troops at the top of their hit parade.  I remember men like that...but they were in a very small minority and they didn't last long.

Why the stereotypes?  Why Joe racist?  In a fucking fighting hole THERE ARE NO RACISTS or any other assholes like that.  There is only you...and that man watching your back.  Why is the supervision so lacking in some parts?  I wanted to see more JOs and sergeants, especially the close supervision of the sergeants.  THEY are the glue that hold the small units together and keep their men alive.

Sorry...I could go on but...suffice to say I think they could have done a better job.

Think BHD, BoB or SPR.

I didn't watch it all last night.  In all fairness, I'll take another look and get fully calibrated.  What I've seen so far does not please me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#43]
I watch it because the wife leaves the room when it comes on. The violence bothers her.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
In military time it would be 062200Z AUG 2005, 072300Z AUG 2005, and 092300Z AUG 2005.

I have watched the first two episodes and have a problem with the "Dim" charachter, he's a 'Joker' remake from Full Metal Jacket, only a really BAD one. The guy is a pussy and believes he is smarter than everybody else in the Army combined. I hope the writers reign him in and don't let his anti-American viewpoint ruin the show!

i call the dim and joker characters the "oliver stone" effect. guys with college educations are SO much smarter and wiser and sensitive than knuckle dragging low rent bulletcatchers...yeesh!

actually, the hours would be 5 hours before. zulu time for 2300 east coast time is -5 so it would be 1800z. not to beat a dead horse...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a fucking TV show.  

Why don't they show the great courage and outstanding leadership qualities of our grunts?  Not ALL JOs are arrogant, selfish, unthinking, sarcastic buffoons who don't have the welfare of their troops at the top of their hit parade.  I remember men like that...but they were in a very small minority and they didn't last long.

Why the stereotypes?  Why Joe racist?  In a fucking fighting hole THERE ARE NO RACISTS or any other assholes like that.  There is only you...and that man watching your back.  Why is the supervision so lacking in some parts?  I wanted to see more JOs and sergeants, especially the close supervision of the sergeants.  THEY are the glue that hold the small units together and keep their men alive.

Sorry...I could go on but...suffice to say I think they could have done a better job.

Think BHD, BoB or SPR.

I didn't watch it all last night.  In all fairness, I'll take another look and get fully calibrated.  What I've seen so far does not please me.

Yeah..There was some of the racial stuff going on..Includeing a fight on the checkpoint that I was rolling my eyes at.  I double dog secret squirrel promise those knuckleheads would NOT have wanted to be in my squad.  There was some good leadership shown at a few points.  I think it did a pretty good job at showing the troops being courageous, but, cautious and, jumpy, which, as I've been told by BTDTs, is pretty common.  Can't say I blame them.

As for the troops, it takes all kinds, and, I knew some real dirtbags while I was in.  I knew good guys too.  I, like you, hope they will show some better combat discipline and cohesion.  I think they should've portrayed a National Gaurd unit.  I'd believe the tactical foulups alot more than with a squared away unit like 3ID.

Could it have been done better?  Ohhhhhhh yeah.  There are lots of flaws, and, they drive me bonkers.  I just don't think that it's that bad a show.  I'm going to watch another episode and see what happens.  I'm definitly keeping my gaurd up, though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i call the dim and joker characters the "oliver stone" effect. guys with college educations are SO much smarter and wiser and sensitive than knuckle dragging low rent bulletcatchers...yeesh!

actually, the hours would be 5 hours before. zulu time for 2300 east coast time is -5 so it would be 1800z. not to beat a dead horse...

Well, I don't think Dim comes off as the good guy at all.  I think he comes off as a jerk, and, whats more, I think that's on purpose.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a fucking TV show.  

Think BHD, BoB or SPR.

BhD BoB and SPR all deal with elite soldiers. In the real world soldiers are not all tactical geniouses who are tried and tested hardended warriors.  When untested soldiers go into combat they are usually fuck shit up before they learn to fight. A good example of this was seen in Stan with the 10th mountain they did not have their shit together during the op-anaconda.  They were critized heavily by SOCOM forces for being out of shape and fucked up from the floor up tactically.  I dont understand why you guys dont think that the 3rd infantry doenst have racists know it alls and shitbird officers.  When I was part of the 3rd herd we had officers who didnt know tactics to save thier ass.  We had a west point officer who got lost and stranded in the NTC hell I had a mech infantry officer get lost on a one way street that went to the wash racks.  The Army is not a society of proffesional warriors it is made out to be it is a  
a group of men doing a scary tough shitty job that pays shitty.  When I was younger I thought that the army would be a society or warriors bent on professionalism. It was not it was just a job like anyother full of people who didnt give a shit about the art of war anymore than they absolutly had to.  We had racist fuckups and shitbag low speed high drag commanders who were fat and lazy!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Mother F'er, so everyone says the 2nd was better and I didn't see it....damnit,  now what do I do.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Hey im a vet and I like it.  We got to support this shit if we want Hwood to keep on making it for us.  Sure I got some probs with it like the wannabe black panther "smoke" hating the man and whitey.  That shit would not be tolerated for a second any more and him pulling a knife because Dim was kicking his ass would have got him busted in a second.  Other than stupid shit like that its pretty realistic overall.  IMHO!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Fuckin' ay!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top