Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey im a vet and I like it.  We got to support this shit if we want Hwood to keep on making it for us.  Sure I got some probs with it like the wannabe black panther "smoke" hating the man and whitey.  That shit would not be tolerated for a second any more and him pulling a knife because Dim was kicking his ass would have got him busted in a second.  Other than stupid shit like that its pretty realistic overall.  IMHO!

I dont know what they do in Iraq but every deployment I have been on getting some weed wasn't a problem.  I dont smoke but I was drinking with some former battle buddies of mine from the First Cav who were toking it up pretty good with some UT college girls.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Some of you guys have some serious fucking issues.  First of all, it is a TV show.  It is not real.  Things are not going to be like in real life cause guess what?  It aint real.  

It's a fucking TV show.  

Sooo.... I take it what you are trying say is.... it's a TV show?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#3]
i think DIM will "evolve" as the show goes on.  I'm sure that Bochko and his buddies have plans to try and teach us something they think they've learned instead of just show it like it is.  Dim doesn't come off as thinking he's smart to me.  He comes off as a guy who has been told he's smart and wants to do something else with his life.  He knows what he knows but I'm sure he also knows that there are things he DOESN'T know- he shows it every ten minutes.  It's SMOKE that thinks he knows it all and has his boots stuffed back in his mouth whenever he opens it.  

Dim wasn't very smart with how he tried to show Smoke how ignorant he was being.  I don't see much racism between the troops, but we are supposed to see a difference between whites and blacks (and arabs) it seems according to bochko.  Angel (the choir singer with the bad ACOG knockoff) hates SMOKE more than anyone else.  

WHY do they all have OTALs but no fucking batteries?  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#4]
My VCR Recorded it.

I thought I only timed it to record only the first episode, but I was wrong, so sometime this weekend I shall have the chance to watch it.
There is so much Pro and Con here about the show.  So far it is pretty much Pro, but not by that much.
At this time I haven’t decided to watch it a second time.  At the moment I’m 50-50 on it.

I’ll let everyone know either next week or in another Over There thread.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Good points.   I must answer with some questions:

Why don't they show the great courage and outstanding leadership qualities of our grunts?

They have IMHO.  Bo, Dim, Tarik and Angel have all shown courage and leadership.  They just don't show it every time, without fail.  Sgt Scream has shown excellent leadership so far, as has the Company Commander.

Not ALL JOs are arrogant, selfish, unthinking, sarcastic buffoons who don't have the welfare of their troops at the top of their hit parade.  I remember men like that...but they were in a very small minority and they didn't last long.

Most 2LTs aren't idiots who can't read a map...but that's the stereotype of them, even in the Army.  

Why Joe racist?  

Do you mean the Black Power guy?  He's the only racist I've seen so far.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dupe

And it sucks, too.

hey dupe nazi why do you still continue to fucking post her eif its a fucking dupe??

I'm going to ask you to knock off the use of "Nazi" with me.  Thanks.

This topic, IS a dupe.  Fortunately, the original topic was put in the wrong forum and as such was locked.

If you have a problem with the CoC I suggest you submit your comments to the staff.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
it was way better tonight , i felt like I was  on that roaed block... & the fact that our people are dying by the #'s ... makes it seem even more  revelant
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
'Virgin Soldiers" is on now on the Military Channel, much better it's REAL!!!!   CH #287 on satillite
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#9]
just ended

never watching it again
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
just ended

never watching it again

that bad, huh?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I hat the guy with the missing leg. Just please get rid of him. the new arab soldier is good. He points out how most of the bombers are rich kids and other good points. If you were rich why the hell would you blow yourself up. Mohammad Atta the 9/11 terrorist mastermind was a college educated smart guy,then he found religion.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I liked it again tonight.  That makes three in a row that I have liked.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I hat the guy with the missing leg. Just please get rid of him. the new arab soldier is good. He points out how most of the bombers are rich kids and other good points. If you were rich why the hell would you blow yourself up. Mohammad Atta the 9/11 terrorist mastermind was a college educated smart guy,then he found religion.

Rich kids are insulated and therefore vulnerable to persuasion. Just look at all them that have been suckered by liberals and gangster rap.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I liked tonights as well.  Dim et al are needed to bring up and ADDRESS the issues or misconceptions people have about Iraq.  They seem to pick an issue and stick with it and address how it is in the show.  Its somewhat contrived but I like it.  Tonights was obviously Angel having problems killing the guy.  Turns out he was a spotter and all ended well.  How is that anti-war?  How was the last episode where Sgt Bull was questioning the prisoner?  He never touched the guy and it was all just mind games.  Again not anti-war.

If you don't like it because you don't like the acting (find a show with better actors in its time slot) then fine.  Labeling it anti-war anti-bush is just acting like a simpleton because you think the trailer played in commercials is what an episode is about.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Tonights episode was pretty good as were the last couple. I do wish they would get rid of the kid that had his leg blown off though. He is just god damned annoying.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Tonites episode was the first I saw.  I enjoyed it enough to come
back to it after clicking away at each commercial.  I'm not going to
set the DVR to record it in the future, but may tune in if I notice it on.

Not bad for TV.  And it is encouraging to see non-broadcast networks
making their own programming, like HBO (Soprano's etc.).

DanM
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#17]
It's getting better.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It's getting better.

It had nowhere else to go but UP after the season premiere .

That being said, I've liked the last 3 episodes though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:21:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dupe

And it sucks, too.

hey dupe nazi why do you still continue to fucking post her eif its a fucking dupe??

I'm going to ask you to knock off the use of "Nazi" with me.  Thanks.

This topic, IS a dupe.  Fortunately, the original topic was put in the wrong forum and as such was locked.

If you have a problem with the CoC I suggest you submit your comments to the staff.

Dupe Nazi, leave it alone. You got a problem with a thread don't go into it. You got a problem being called a Dupe Nazi, then stop screaming Dupe on threads.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#20]
So peg-leg's wife is a captain or just a bitchy wife?  she seemed to really know how to keep him sorta in line the last few episodes- she must be a captain?

I'm thinking Dim needs a real bitch slap from sergeant.  He says some REALLY sarcastic shit and with last night's episode, it's just enough to undermine what might have been a real understanding of what actually needed to be done on the mission.  Instead, he got smoke riled up and got angel thinking that maybe he didn't have to do what he was ordered to do...

I'm thinking Eddy should crush up some of his mom's drugs and mix them in with her favorite bottle and make sure she doesn't wake up and then go join the circus, somewhere where we can't see what he's up to anymore.

why when you shoot a man through a window and curtain, will he topple over into the window, break it and fall out?  is the house crooked?  was he leaning agains the window?

WOW!!  Mrs. Bitch likes to F*CK and she looks halfway attractive now!!!  Plus, you can't beat the DDD's she has!!!

Esmerelda is gonna have to start banging truckers too- might as well.  Her husband is being stalked by another "mother."  Between Sergio's squeaky voice and Esmerelda's goofy voice, what's that poor little Hector going to sound like when he starts talking, a fucking GOOSE???
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been watching war movies and war series for a very long time and my opinion of this series is as follows.  This series is nothing like the massive antimilitary anti war movies of the past like Platoon or Apolycapse Now etc.  It seems to me that they are trying to present real life issues and moral war time dilemma's  It is the best war series I think I have ever seen.  I will admit that i get pretty sick of Smoke's hate whitey circa 60's attitude but there is no flagerent bush bashing or anything like that all.  Guys to sum this up this is a pretty good series and we need to support it if we want stuff like Over There and more good war movies like Black Hawk Down ect. to come out.  IMHO  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have been watching war movies and war series for a very long time and my opinion of this series is as follows.  This series is nothing like the massive antimilitary anti war movies of the past like Platoon or Apolycapse Now etc.  It seems to me that they are trying to present real life issues and moral war time dilemma's  It is the best war series I think I have ever seen.  I will admit that i get pretty sick of Smoke's hate whitey circa 60's attitude but there is no flagerent bush bashing or anything like that all.  Guys to sum this up this is a pretty good series and we need to support it if we want stuff like Over There and more good war movies like Black Hawk Down ect. to come out.  IMHO  

Did you think Platoon was a anti-war movie ?
(I didn't remember it that way, but its been a while since I have seen it ?)

Okay maybe anti america in wars movie.    Lets see you had a pscyo homicidal sergent who murdered his fellow sergent and would torture and kill innocent villagers.  Had massive pot smoking while in the field.  Units on patrol in the bush would talk outloud, smoke and curse loudly.  Had no disicpline at all.  Another grunt with the 12 gage who murderded a retarted villager by smashing his head in with the butt of his gage.  The star of the movie Charlie Sheen murders his sergent at end of movie in revenge for him murdering his sergent.  It just went on and on potraying americans in Vietnam as murders,drug users, racists, sloppy and generally all POS's.  I'd call that pretty much anti war!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you think Platoon was a anti-war movie ?
(I didn't remember it that way, but its been a while since I have seen it ?)

It's been called/considered openly anti-war by many of the folks that had anything to do with it.

MASH was anti-war as well. Most War movies are in at least one way anti war.

Even to an extent SPR and Band of Brothers were anti-war. Not that any of them were spesificly writen to be, some were, but they all look at some aspect of war and ask hey is this right?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I think some people feel that any war movie that doesn't have US soldiers eating the hearts out of the enemy is anti-American. No healthy human goes past a pile of quivering body parts for the first time unaffected. So what if a show/movie portrays them trying to justify that? I'm more tunrned away by the show's stale characters and predictable writing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#26]
there is a difference between being an anti-war movie and trying to show a particular nasty aspect of war.  You could have a M*A*S*H* type show on TV now with so much blood and guts that you might think it's nothing but anti-war but it may just be trying to illustrate what medics go through on a daily basis.  

Some of these movies and shows might be trying to point out how tough or honorable a certain type of troop was by showing the shit they went through.  A movie about a tank war where 9 out of 10 tanks were destroyed might not be anti-war, but pro-tanker and trying to show how brave those tankers were, that's all.  maybe...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#27]
So far the show is totaly anti-war, anti america, the attitudes of the guys total bs.Most of the conversation would get all of them courtmartialed. Angel crying because he shot some guy calling in pos for insurgents,what bullshit the guy should be grining. Im sure the democraps love this show, and the folks who have no idea of how the military works are probably thinking its so real in every aspect. Just my 2c.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:01:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
So far the show is totaly anti-war, anti america

No, actually, it has not been anti-war or anti-America.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:05:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I keep missing this show, guess I'll wait for the DVD season set or hope for a rerun
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:10:04 AM EDT
[#30]
WTF, after angels ordeal, I had to think to myself, "I was under the impression that the army tought you to shoot?" Seriously, why couldn't someone else take him out, or if the scope is the issue, take his gun?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:27:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
WTF, after angels ordeal, I had to think to myself, "I was under the impression that the army tought you to shoot?" Seriously, why couldn't someone else take him out, or if the scope is the issue, take his gun?

The idea is that he's the best shot.  It was a good 200 meters and the guy was usually around his wife and kid and they didn't want to chance hurting the wife or kid by accident.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#32]
BHD44-  you seriously don't know what you are talking about.  I would imagine you are a GREAT movie critic though, with your name being the abbreviation for your favorite movie, Black Hawk Down.  Why is the movie title Black Hawk Down?  I never saw a Black Hawk, I only saw Blackhawk helicopters

We all know as an audience that the show is an hour long and obviously the guy they are watching 25 minutes into the show is THE insurgent spotter, but the point is that they don't know and it was made VERY clear that noone can be sure and that they HAD TO BE SURE before he was shot.  When Angel was told to shoot, it was after he heard the sergeant trying to explain that they WERE STILL UNSURE.  His final "orders" to fire were nothing more than "you know what to do" and that was after being told that trucks were on their way anyway.  So, he wasn't ignoring orders.

btw-  you should keep the next two cents you might consider offering.  it's not worth the pixels it's printed on here...

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#33]
OK, I'm confused.  Exactly what kind of unit is this supposed to be?  The description in this thread have me baffled.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I keep missing this show, guess I'll wait for the DVD season set or hope for a rerun

the four epsiodes are on bittorents already for downloading.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
OK, I'm confused.  Exactly what kind of unit is this supposed to be?  The description in this thread have me baffled.

They're in the 3rd Infantry Division.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Fresh virgin army infantry but it was said by the general in this last episode that if they "don't like getting the shit misisons, then stop being so good at doing them."  or something like that.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#37]
They seem to be part of a support unit, maybe a truck or supply platoon supporting a combat unit.  These particular five seem to be some kind of ad hoc security team for said truck or supply platoon.  But this is all just my theory I made to fit the knowns of the show.  We have the two female drivers in the same unit as these five shooters...so there can't be many posibilities.

TO&E and roles are out the window.  I followed Manic Morons threads on tanknet and now he does post on here, some really good reading BTW.  I think more often than not his tank platoon went out in 2 M-1s and 2 hummers, and they were equiped with a range of infantry weapons rather than just carbines/pistols tank crews used to get.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
BHD44-  you seriously don't know what you are talking about.  I would imagine you are a GREAT movie critic though, with your name being the abbreviation for your favorite movie, Black Hawk Down.  Why is the movie title Black Hawk Down?  I never saw a Black Hawk, I only saw Blackhawk helicopters

We all know as an audience that the show is an hour long and obviously the guy they are watching 25 minutes into the show is THE insurgent spotter, but the point is that they don't know and it was made VERY clear that noone can be sure and that they HAD TO BE SURE before he was shot.  When Angel was told to shoot, it was after he heard the sergeant trying to explain that they WERE STILL UNSURE.  His final "orders" to fire were nothing more than "you know what to do" and that was after being told that trucks were on their way anyway.  So, he wasn't ignoring orders.

btw-  you should keep the next two cents you might consider offering.  it's not worth the pixels it's printed on here... Do you have any military experience? Dont knock my user name INTEL. OVER!

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#39]
So when it repeats this weekend, should I or should I not watch the latest episode?

I am having string doubts about ever watching the show again.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#40]
So josephr are you going to do commentary on the whole series for us! Turn off the tv, leave the house go see the recruiter.You sure talk a lot of shit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#41]
no, i won't do commentary on the whole series, just offer my opinions like any other decent person here.  for you though, i'll refute any bullshit or attitude you throw our way.  do you think i need to see a recruiter just because i set you straight on what you thought you had to mouth off about in the show that you must not have watched very carefully?

LonePathfinder- they are a typical platoon.  this episode only centered around the 5 or so that stood out during the last mission where they were performing a roadblock.  The two women truck drivers ended up with them the first show because they were dropping off the new troops to sgt. scream when they ended up getting into a little tangle with a mosque full of ragheads pretending to be civil.  the women are still truckdrivers and only show up when there is a truck involved or one needs fixin'
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
From what I have heard of the show it is VERY anti-war and anti-Bush.

So WTF would I want to watch it?

Sgat1r5

i watched it, I didn't see anything anti-Bush about it really.  Most war movies are anti-war.

You want to hear anti-Bush comments, you should have heard what me and my Platoon mates were saying while we were in Iraq.  Soldiers will bitch about the situation they are in, and will bitch about anyone in charge, inculding the Commander-in-Chief
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
- Clear anti-war/anti-U.S. theme tries to hide to keep share but does so poorly (the General making tactical calls based on PR concerns).

most of the officers we had in Iraq made tactical calls based on PR concerns.  Several times we couldn't return fire because they were firing from a Mosque, we let prisoners go becuase of who they were (related to Sheikhs, etc)

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
no, i won't do commentary on the whole series, just offer my opinions like any other decent person here.  for you though, i'll refute any bullshit or attitude you throw our way.  do you think i need to see a recruiter just because i set you straight on what you thought you had to mouth off about in the show that you must not have watched very carefully?

LonePathfinder- they are a typical platoon.  this episode only centered around the 5 or so that stood out during the last mission where they were performing a roadblock.  The two women truck drivers ended up with them the first show because they were dropping off the new troops to sgt. scream when they ended up getting into a little tangle with a mosque full of ragheads pretending to be civil.  the women are still truckdrivers and only show up when there is a truck involved or one needs fixin'

That would work except 3rd ID is a heavy division, where are their Bradley's if they are an infantry platoon???  Also if they are a typical platoon why is their "squad" only 5 guys?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Josephr

I believe the sergeant, played by eric pallidino, was on several episodes of ER.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LonePathfinder- they are a typical platoon.  this episode only centered around the 5 or so that stood out during the last mission where they were performing a roadblock. The two women truck drivers ended up with them the first show because they were dropping off the new troops to sgt. scream when they ended up getting into a little tangle with a mosque full of ragheads pretending to be civil.  the women are still truckdrivers and only show up when there is a truck involved or one needs fixin'

That would work except 3rd ID is a heavy division, where are their Bradley's if they are an infantry platoon???  Also if they are a typical platoon why is their "squad" only 5 guys?

The 5 of them drove a humvee out to that bunker and it was blown to pieces.  They usually travel in a decent sized convoy of humvees and cargo trucks- bochco doesn't seem to have been able to afford bradleys.  some people have pointed out that he used olympic arms ARs too.  I saw one prancing lion on one rifle on one show...

for all i know, this series might only focus on the 5 of them from now on.  they might have earned themselves enough special details to entertain us for the rest of the season without having to involve the rest of the army.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Son it seems like you have alot of questions about the show why dont they use this that and the other, Because its hollywood! I have military exp. As for your opinion of me i could give a shit less.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Son it seems like you have alot of questions about the show why dont they use this that and the other, Because its hollywood! I have military exp. As for your opinion of me i could give a shit less.

what is that supposed to mean anyway?  my questions about using this that and the other?  are you referring to my questions regarding none of them ever using their laser designators or night vision?  why would those questions make me some sort of an idiot?  i'm asking if it would be common for troops to not use such equipment in the scenarios portrayed, specifically those in the first two episodes.  I was asking if it was "hollywood's" fault not knowing what their props were supposed to do or if there was a reason.

why don't you tell me the reason?  is calling me son going to somehow cause me to become your subordinate?  

military experience?  you definitely don't exude any sense of expertise.  we have read your other posts.  they aren't getting any better
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top