BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong here ... but the US is her country, not Mexico (I mean she IS our Secretary of State).  How about she change her tune and start making Mexico aware that HER country will not tollerate vigilante action by racist Mexicans against Texas/Arizona citizens.

I hate double standards

Well, I haven't seen any organized Mexican groups planning to patrol the borders with weapons either.

Except the mexican military providing security to drug runners.  Firing on the US Border patrol and US ranchers pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong here ... but the US is her country, not Mexico (I mean she IS our Secretary of State).  How about she change her tune and start making Mexico aware that HER country will not tollerate vigilante action by racist Mexicans against Texas/Arizona citizens.

I hate double standards

Well, I haven't seen any organized Mexican groups planning to patrol the borders with weapons either.

Except the mexican military providing security to drug runners.  Firing on the US Border patrol and US ranchers pretty regularly.

Again with this.  Read the definition of the word vigilante.  That's what is underdiscussion here.  Everyone keeps giving examples of extreme criminal activity.  Where are the Mexican vigilante groups?

Oh well, it's just one word.  What we mean is something else blah blah.  But, Ms. Rice is a seasoned diplomat and her words mean exactly what she says, and each word is chosen with great care.

She said that vigilante activity will not be tolerated, that's all.  And it shouldn't be.  Why are everyones panties in a wad?  Yeah, the US immigration policy is shit. Yeah, it doesn't appear that GWB gives a rats ass.  Yeah, it would be nice if there was a wall of flame between the US and Mexico.

But, that's not the way it is.  Nowhere in her speech did she say she thought the Minuteman project was a bad idea, that the US was against it, nothing like that.  All she said was they have every right within US law to make their point, but no special permission will be given them to break the law. Sounds pretty damn fair and American to me.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
One more time for the slow learners.  Where are the Mexican vigilante groups you talk about?

Where is this American invasion of Mexico that there should be Mexican vigilante groups?

Edited to correct misunderstanding. Sorry, Tex.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One more time for the slow learners.  Where are the Mexican vigilante groups you talk about?

For an even slower learner, where is this American invasion of Mexico that there should be Mexican vigilante groups?

Exactly my point.  What we have in this country are not Mexican vigilantes but criminals, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why in the hell is racism and white supremeiscist even relevant here?  

Because it's a Red Herring thrown out by people who have no valid argument.

Most sheep just see the word and start foaming at the mouth thinking "Racism bad! Bad Racist!" like some aversion-trained retard.

Once they get the idiots thinking that, they have, for all practical purposes, won the argument.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This thread just shows that most
people cannot understand the
concept of a carefully worded
diplomatic statements. As with
the President's AWB comments,
every word means something and
needs to be parse accordingly.

That said, the one word that I am
concerned with is "vigilante." I'll
await confirmation of this statement
before I pass judgement.

Agreed.  This almost sounds like a slanted way of saying that The Feds are going to let the Minutemen prove their case before the country, without interference, as long as they don't royally screw the pooch.
The Minutemen have just been granted the leeway to do for the Administration what the Administration doesn't really havce the ability to do, which is get the border problem in front of everybody, as well as the reasons that the border is in the shape it is in.
If Condi and the Administration publically backed the Minutes, they'd be seen as snubbing Mexico.  Yes, it is stupid, but that's politics.
The next best thing is exactly what happened: Comment on what will draw bad Federal attention.
Implied is the message that the Feds approve of the legal activities.

+1

Exactly right.  I think her words were chosen very carfefully to reflect just that, but not come right out and say it.  I've not seen anything where it appears anyone intends to interfere with what the Minuteman have planned, as long as all laws are obeyed.

Now, what needs to happen is to make damn sure that there are not one or guys in that group that do something stupid and make the entire operation look like nothing more than organized crime.  That would be the real shame.  This is a great opportunity for a lot of attention to be paid to an important issue.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#10]
To arpaul. The men of my tribe didn't have time to fuck any buffalo, as they were too busy driving other tribes out of the great lakes region. Do a little research before you start lumping all indians into one particular group that you think you know about. Back on topic. I have zero confidence in Rice or the Bush administration. Good lord look at our new A.G.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#11]
What happens if the minutemen stop an Al-Quada agent with tons of explosives?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate double standards

Again with this.  Read the definition of the word vigilante.  That's what is underdiscussion here.  Everyone keeps giving examples of extreme criminal activity.  Where are the Mexican vigilante groups?

Oh well, it's just one word.  What we mean is something else blah blah.  But, Ms. Rice is a seasoned diplomat and her words mean exactly what she says, and each word is chosen with great care.

She said that vigilante activity will not be tolerated, that's all.  And it shouldn't be.  Why are everyones panties in a wad?  Yeah, the US immigration policy is shit. Yeah, it doesn't appear that GWB gives a rats ass.  Yeah, it would be nice if there was a wall of flame between the US and Mexico.

But, that's not the way it is.  Nowhere in her speech did she say she thought the Minuteman project was a bad idea

False.  she described them as Vigilanties, not citizens, not patriots, not observers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
More racist crap in this thread than I care to count.

I did not notice. Perhaps I am desensitized.  You do know that neither "mexican" or "illegal immigrant" are a race right?  that a person can be one or both of those, and be of any race.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Some of you guys are worse than the nuts at DU when you get an idea in your head.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
She said that vigilante activity will not be tolerated, that's all.

No, she called the group (the entire group,) "the minuteman vigilantes."
That's fucked up.

Scott
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn good thing we voted for good old GWB.

At least we still have our guns. Like the alternative was better?

I am really not convinced that Kerry, restrained by a Congress that loathed him and a press that disliked him, would have been substantially worse than GWB.  And I do think that he would have been allowed to get away with far fewer fantastically stupid things like the Medicare Drug deal, the ag bill, the No Child Left Behind act, and so on.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
She said that vigilante activity will not be tolerated, that's all.

No, she called the group (the entire group,) "the minuteman vigilantes."
That's fucked up.

Scott

Exactly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

before I pass judgement.

Agreed.  This almost sounds like a slanted way of saying that The Feds are going to let the Minutemen prove their case before the country, without interference, as long as they don't royally screw the pooch.
The Minutemen have just been granted the leeway to do for the Administration what the Administration doesn't really havce the ability to do, which is get the border problem in front of everybody, as well as the reasons that the border is in the shape it is in.
If Condi and the Administration publically backed the Minutes, they'd be seen as snubbing Mexico.  Yes, it is stupid, but that's politics.
The next best thing is exactly what happened: Comment on what will draw bad Federal attention.

+1

Exactly right.  I think her words were chosen very carfefully to reflect just that, but not come right out and say it.  I've not seen anything where it appears anyone intends to interfere with what the Minuteman have planned, as long as all laws are obeyed.

Now, what needs to happen is to make damn sure that there are not one or guys in that group that do something stupid and make the entire operation look like nothing more than organized crime.  That would be the real shame.  This is a great opportunity for a lot of attention to be paid to an important issue.

OK, I have been hearing that Bush is a calculating polical genius and that every one of his fantastic mistakes have been somehow a devious secret plot to set the liberals up for the kill.  OK, that is wearing a little thin, five years in (more if you count his lackluster term as governor here).  When are we, you know, going use all of this amazing leverage that Bush has set up (by doing, you know, exactly what the liberals want, over and over again) to beat the liberals down?  Seriously, when is Bush going in for the kill?

Maybe he is just a dumbass and there is no secret plan after all.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Some of you guys are worse than the nuts at DU when you get an idea in your head.

And some of you Republicans need to stop drinking the cool aid.  Stop pretending everything this administration does is 100% perfect.  Doing so only encourages the party to pick bad candidates.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
More racist crap in this thread than I care to count.

I did not notice. Perhaps I am desensitized.  You do know that neither "mexican" or "illegal immigrant" are a race right?  that a person can be one or both of those, and be of any race.

the only thing I noticed was the stuff about someone fucking buffalo
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why in the hell is racism and white supremeiscist even relevant here?  

Because it's a Red Herring thrown out by people who have no valid argument.

Most sheep just see the word and start foaming at the mouth thinking "Racism bad! Bad Racist!" like some aversion-trained retard.

Once they get the idiots thinking that, they have, for all practical purposes, won the argument.

TacticalMan,
Thank you for you statement.  In reading it and found I needed an adjustment. I did not realized how deep in the sheeps pin I was getting.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#22]
When is all of this taking place again?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And some of you Republicans need to stop drinking the cool aid.  Stop pretending everything this administration does is 100% perfect.  Doing so only encourages the party to pick bad candidates.

No kidding.  If you actually look at what Bush has *done* as opposed to what he has *said* he looks an awful lot like his father, Clinton, and Jimmy Carter.

Government control of the smallest parts of public life from the Federal level?  Yup.
Deep rooted support for official affirmative action quotas?  Yup.
Support for strong, pervasive Federal gun control? Yup.
An ongoing effort to keep Federal control of and not sell off/return to states all of the BLM land?  Yup.
Nutty environmental policies unsupported by science?  Yup.
Weird military policy, planning, support, and followthrough?  Yup.
A State Department unchained by the constraints of official policy?  Yup.

Do I really need to go on?

I miss Reagan, more and more, every day.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, I think what she is basically saying is that they are not above the law.  I would hope not.  If they just started shooting or assaulting illegals, that would be against the law, and they would deserve to go to jail.  I don't have a problem with that.

Exactly!  That is, even if she said it and it's not made up by this nutjob group.

I should have expected you to side with Washington. If a democrat was in office you would screaming bloody hell. Washington is leaving our borders totally undefended. My hats off to any American who stands up to defend himself, his land, and his country.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Sooo, just don't commit illegal acts.

Not so easy to do really.  I'm sure the gov't will be looking for ANY reason to pop these guys. Like not using the crosswalks to cross the street gets you 3 days in the pokey while they prove your identity.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing about twenty year old brainwashed GOP fanatics who support anything/everything  that comes out of Washington.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sooo, just don't commit illegal acts.

Not so easy to do really.  I'm sure the gov't will be looking for ANY reason to pop these guys. Like not using the crosswalks to cross the street gets you 3 days in the pokey while they prove your identity.

Well, it starts in a few weeks. We will see if all the doom and gloom predictions of JBTs rounding up participants comes to pass.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

support anything/everything  that comes out of Washington.

not at all, i think our border situation is just short of a disaster, BUT I can't believe everyone is basing their knee-jerk reactions from an article off aztlan
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huge +1!  FYI guy's the candidates look even worse for 2008.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Read the following carefully, it's from Websters.  Then tell me again about the Mexican vigilante groups.

What you refer to are criminal dipshits, not vigilantes.

Main Entry: vig·i·lan·te
Pronunciation: "vi-j&-'lan-tE
Function: noun
Etymology: Spanish, watchman, guard, from vigilante vigilant, from Latin vigilant-, vigilans
Definition: a member of a volunteer committee organized to suppress and punish crime summarily (as when the processes of law appear inadequate);

Man! You are getting focused on ONE WORD!

You are missing the point. We are being INVADED by people from ANOTHER COUNTRY. And our political leaders DO NOTHING! I don't have a problem if people want to come to America for a what ever "good" reason they have. BUT they must go through THE PROPER PROCESS to do so. Imigration does not = illegal imigration and if our government won't do anything about it, then it's up to the average citizen.

I say, tell the Mexicans, if you want to come here, fine, do it legally, otherwise, you'll be shoot coming across the border. Just like any other country would do. I bet if we had 3 million people invading Mexico like they are doing to us, there would be a lot of dead Americans.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you Democrats keep embracing racism, it's fun watching your party self-destruct
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

before I pass judgement.

+1

OK, I have been hearing that Bush is a calculating polical genius and that every one of his fantastic mistakes have been somehow a devious secret plot to set the liberals up for the kill.  OK, that is wearing a little thin, five years in (more if you count his lackluster term as governor here).  When are we, you know, going use all of this amazing leverage that Bush has set up (by doing, you know, exactly what the liberals want, over and over again) to beat the liberals down?  Seriously, when is Bush going in for the kill?

Maybe he is just a dumbass and there is no secret plan after all.

There is no kill.  There never will be.  There is only a very long chess game on dozens, perhaps hundreds, of issues, each followed by a small gain.
Perhaps both his successful election runs were "kills" just by themselves?  There was plenty of weeping and wailing and knashing of teeth from the opposition for it not to mean he did something big.

Do you remember when he appointed some folks with no scientific background to the TNRCC (they were evangelical friends of one of his supporters from some snake-handling Protestant church) and during a rather acrimonious hearing on hog farms outside of Amarillo one of them decided that the way to resolve questions about groundwater quality when the Sierra Club and the hog farmers were giving very different estimates was to get on his knees and ask Jesus for guidance, in various voices, swaying back and forth?  How it scared the shit out of the hog farmers and the Sierra Club?  And how people at the time who supported Bush said that actually it was OK because weird-ass appointments like those was a plan to put conservatives (funny, I don't remember speaking in tongues at any of the events I went to as a young conservative) in state positions, so it was all OK.  And when asked Bush made a few weak jokes and then refused to answer any more questions.  And then said that we should all "move on".  And Bush's appointees then proceeded to make some really strange calls, almost as if (surprise, surprise, surprise) they had no scientific background and when they tried to get on the line to Jesus, swaying on their knees, he gave the wrong answer about groundwater plumes on a regular basis.  And how then Bush wouldn't talk about it at all.  And then none of his supporters wanted to discuss this, but would suggest that I was making too big a deal out of things like that.  And perhaps I should be careful because I could be giving ammunition to the liberals.

I have a lot of these stories about Bush.  And I am not exactly a DU troll.

EDIT:

And he barely won.  Against someone who behaved like a lunatic (Gore) and someone who was arguably a traitor and should have been hung (Kerry), HE BARELY WON!!!!!  Doesn't anyone besides me see a problem with slapping ourselves on the back over this?

And we are not winning on the small issues.  Let's just look at domestic drilling and refining.  Is it any easier to set up a green field refinery now than in 1999?  No.  Are we drilling in the ANWR?  No.  Have we gotten rid of the 1986 gun control legislation?  No.  Have we gotten rid of all of the blackmail regulations with highway funding (forcing a .8 BAL, seatbelt use, a 21 year old drinking age, etc)?  No.  Has the BLM started to sell off all of  the Federal lands in the West?  No.  Have we resolved any of the serious festering BIA issues?  No.  Do we have permanent repeal of the capital gains taxes, the estate tax, and the top rate cut down to 25%?  No.  Have we shrunk the Federal government?  No.

What small gains?

EDIT for spelling.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

not at all, i think our border situation is just short of a disaster, BUT I can't believe everyone is basing their knee-jerk reactions from an article off aztlan

Fuck her, the admin, and a good portion of the politicians in washington.  If they would have done their jobs prior to this incident there would be no need for the Minuetmen
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you Democrats keep embracing racism, it's fun watching your party self-destruct

What are you, stupid?  How is wanting to protect our borders racist?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What should we base it on? The purely moronic statements coming out of Washington? An administration that has done nothing but make the situation worse. This is not just a little problem. Get a clue and start using your own mind to make decisions. You know right and wrong.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck her, the admin, and a good portion of the politicians in washington.  

Real classy, your debating skills are obviously superior to mine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Damn good thing we voted for good old GWB.
His administration cares more about the illegals than they do our own people and our national security.
All done to kiss the aztlan ass for votes.

Is this a shock? He's as much of a conservative as arnold, look how he spends money look at how he's protecting our borders.

He was the lesser of two evils and that is all.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love how this twenty year kid calls anybody who dares to question even one Bush policy a "Democrat".
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What should we base it on? The purely moronic statements coming out of Washington? An administration that has done nothing but make the situation worse. This is not just a little problem. Get a clue and start using your own mind to make decisions. You know right and wrong.

First we should see if SHE ACTUALLY SAID IT!  From an actual news source.  Then, if she did say it, we should look at the context in which she said it.
Their is absolutely nothing wrong with saying "My country will not tolerate illegal actions by vigilantes"  Especially when you are America's chief diplomat.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your wasting your time, the admin can do no wrong.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#42]

You want groups

Here

Here

Here

Here is a list of a few items America needs

This is what every American neighborhood needs

This just shows, not all are coming into America to earn a legal living. This is causing alot of crime. Making it un-safer everyday to live in America.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love how this twenty year kid calls anybody who dares to question even one Bush policy a "Democrat".

Careful or you'll be labled a "Cyanide troll account".
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read the following carefully, it's from Websters.  Then tell me again about the Mexican vigilante groups.

What you refer to are criminal dipshits, not vigilantes.

Main Entry: vig·i·lan·te
Pronunciation: "vi-j&-'lan-tE
Function: noun
Etymology: Spanish, watchman, guard, from vigilante vigilant, from Latin vigilant-, vigilans
Definition: a member of a volunteer committee organized to suppress and punish crime summarily (as when the processes of law appear inadequate);

Man! You are getting focused on ONE WORD!

You are missing the point. We are being INVADED by people from ANOTHER COUNTRY. And our political leaders DO NOTHING! I don't have a problem if people want to come to America for a what ever "good" reason they have. BUT they must go through THE PROPER PROCESS to do so. Imigration does not = illegal imigration and if our government won't do anything about it, then it's up to the average citizen.

I say, tell the Mexicans, if you want to come here, fine, do it legally, otherwise, you'll be shoot coming across the border. Just like any other country would do. I bet if we had 3 million people invading Mexico like they are doing to us, there would be a lot of dead Americans.

No one is arguing that the border situation is shit.  You posted this article and your thoughts, and I didn't respond to that because I pretty much agree with what you said.  Then, later in the thread, people ripped into her for her choice of words.

So yes, I am focused on one word because that's where the argument came in, that somehow what she said was out of line.

I don't disagree at all with your original post and the point you made with it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your wasting your time, the admin can do no wrong.....

I assume you believe everything aztlan prints?  How about the Brady Campaign?  Find me an actual news source verifying this statement and I will debate the substance of her speech.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
First we should see if SHE ACTUALLY SAID IT!  From an actual news source.  Then, if she did say it, we should look at the context in which she said it.

Give me a break! Don't try this BS again. I also don't give a Rat's ass what "Context" she meant. It's wrong and your wrong for defending it. Face it; even Bush/Rice can be wrong sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

This just shows, not all are coming into America to earn a legal living. This is causing alot of crime. Making it un-safer everyday to live in America.

NONE of them earn a legal living UNTIL they are LEGAL citizens of the US period!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a break! Don't try this BS again. I also don't give a Rat's ass what "Context" she meant. It's wrong and your wrong for defending it. Face it; even Bush/Rice can be wrong sometimes.

Quoted:
I assume you believe everything aztlan prints?  How about the Brady Campaign?  Find me an actual news source verifying this statement and I will debate the substance of her speech.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#49]
How is private citiziens watching private property vigilantism?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Their is absolutely nothing wrong with saying "My country will not tolerate illegal actions by vigilantes"  Especially when you are America's chief diplomat.

You forgot something...

"My country will not tolerate illegal actions by the Minutemen vigilantes",  "will not pardon any extra-legal actions by border vigilantes nor do we support the activities of these groups". She added, "Even though we can not interfere with these activities, you can rest assured that if they violate the law, they will be held accountable".

CLOSE THE BORDERS!

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top