Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2005 7:04:07 AM EDT
Tommorrow i have a job interview. I can get a job anyday of the week. What makes this interview important is. I REALLY WANT THIS JOB. Im a machinist. This is for a machinist postion. I think a suit would be overdressing and jeans underdressin. Im not a fashion guy, nor do i subscribe to GQ.

I want to wear something that is acceptable. Most of the interview sites i ahve visited say to wear a suit. What do you think? Whats a winning ward robe?

Thank you ahead of time
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#1]
My two centavos: Khaki pants, shined shoes, long sleeved shirt, tie - at a minimum.

The machinists you interview with probably won't give a shit how you look, so as long as you don't smell and can bring something to the job - you should be fine.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#2]
When in doubt, a suit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My two centavos: Khaki pants, shined shoes, long sleeved shirt, tie - at a minimum.

Make that $.04. That's probably perfect for that job - get a haircut, too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:07:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

When in doubt, a suit.

+1   It's hard to be overdressed, real easy to be underdressed
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:10:01 AM EDT
[#5]

The machinists you interview with probably won't give a shit how you look, so as long as you don't smell and can bring something to the job - you should be fine. Good luck.

Its a big fortune 500 company. So im not going to be interviewing with machinists. Not at first. It will be handled by the Human resources department. IM really friggin nervous. The interviewer will be a woman if that makes a difference.

Khakis...ok? WHat color shirt? Is there a winning combo? WTH this sucks
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Its a big fortune 500 company. So im not going to be interviewing with machinists. Not at first. It will be handled by the Human resources department. IM really friggin nervous. The interviewer will be a woman if that makes a difference.

Suit!  

Suit!  

Suit!  

Suit!  
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#7]

It will be handled by the Human resources department.

Then a suit for sure.  HR people will expect it.  Otherwise they won't think you are serious about the job.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Suit
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok suit. If your sure about suit. Whats a good suit/shirt color?
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#10]
From what I've heard, dress one level higher than you would if you were already working there.

everyday suit/tie... *really* good suit and tie (can't really go anywhere from there)

everyday dress shirt/tie... suit

everyday shirt/tie and khakis... dress shirt/tie

everyday business casual (polo shirts and dockers)... shirt/tie and khakis

everyday jeans... business casual

coveralls and grease under the fingernails... I'd still go with khakis and a nice chambray button up shirt with possibly a tie.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Suit!  

Suit!  

Suit!  

Suit!  

Suit.  If it was Jim's Machining and Live Bait, then shirt, tie, and blazer would work.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Its a big fortune 500 company.
+
It will be handled by the Human resources department.
+
IM really friggin nervous.
+
The interviewer will be a woman if that makes a difference.

=

Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Scottman That looks really good. And i need a new suit. But for sure? Is that going to be overdressed. For sure you cant overdress?
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ok suit. If your sure about suit. Whats a good suit/shirt color?

Hard to go wrong with:  (a) gray/charcoal suit and white shirt; or (b) dark blue suit and white shirt.  Both work well with black belt and shoes (which is what most men have in their closets).

BTW there's no need for you or any gun owner to subscribe to GQ. They were the one who published the infamous Black Talon article back in 1993-4.  Anti-gun idiots.  I wrote them a nice letter when I canceled my subscription.  

Good luck on your interview!

Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:18:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I was going to say suit, but the "one level highher" theory makes sensse.

For a machineist, If I thought there would be any "skills testing" I would bring a change of clothes.  NEVER be caught unprepared, If there is even a remote chance of them asking, have an answer ready.  If you think there os a possibility they might ask yo uto "machine something" come ready to do that, if not as you are, have clean work clothes in your car.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#16]
For a machinist, a suit would be overdressing, I think.  We had a guy come in for a manager position at a lumber yard in a suit and he looked ridiculous. The owner doing the hiring said as much as well. Just wear a button shirt, pants that aren't  jeans, and shoes that aren't sneakers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
From what I've heard, dress one level higher than you would if you were already working there.

everyday suit/tie... *really* good suit and tie (can't really go anywhere from there)

coveralls and grease under the fingernails... I'd still go with khakis and a nice chambray button up shirt with possibly a tie.

This is good advice.  I have heard two levels in some cases.  My strategy for interviews is my nicest suit (usually black or charcoal), white shirt, and nice tie, but a subtle tie, nothing too loud.  Details that don't usually matter but that you should pay attention to: shoes look good, haircut fairly neat.  I say pay attention to these because you may wind up interviewing with someone who is very detail oriented and/or prior military, paying attention to details NEVER hurts.

I would think HR wants to see you in a suit, though when you interview with your peers a blazer and a pair of khaki's should work.  Even in my retail experience we expected job candidates to wear a tie into the store.

shooter
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#18]
i wore a suit to a job interview at a machine shop ... as soon as i got there, the woman told me to take off my coat and loosen my tie .... she also said that it was good that i wore a suit, becuase that is what i was supposed to do ...

bottom line.  wear a suit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:19:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Addendum: Dress one level higher than the person interviewing you.

A new suit might be in order.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#20]
One CAN overdress, but it usually requires something rediculous, like wearing white tie and tails to a baseball game.

Now, for a job interview as described, as SUIT may be a bit overdressed, but a pair of clean, pressed slacks, shined shoes, shirt, tie, and JACKET is a minimum.

And I mean JACKET as SPORTS COAT, or BLAZER, not one of your favorite football team.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Scottman That looks really good. And i need a new suit. But for sure? Is that going to be overdressed. For sure you cant overdress?

Not if you're going to be talking to HR.  HR = desk jockey, and will be expecting a suit.  It would be different if you were interviewing "on the floor" with other machinists, but even then you would be well advised to wear a suit.  

The only way you'd overdress is if you showed up in a tux.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Kilts & a Turquiose Bolo Tie.

Sounded like you could use some levity

Nah....as was stated.  A suit & a fresh haircut & close shave big 1+.  You can alway apologize for being a bit over dressed.  You'll not get that chance if you are under dressed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Khaki's with a nice button-down, a tie and a jacket/sportscoat can also do the job, and says "formal" and professional, without the stuffiness of a suit.

However, I agree with the others to definitely err on the side of formal, since it's a big company.  Even if they think you are overdressed, it won't count against you, it will jsut signal that you are REALLY interested, and that you wanted to make a good impression.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The machinists you interview with probably won't give a shit how you look, so as long as you don't smell and can bring something to the job - you should be fine. Good luck.

SUIT Navy Blue or charcoal grey, white shirt, patterned red tie. Black belt & black lace-up shoes. Get off the computer & haul ass to S&K or the Men's Wearhouse NOW.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Yep, wear a suit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I own a "blue collar" type company.

If a prospective shows up in a suit, I'm duly and immediately impressed that they obviously want this job enough to "suit up".

I, personally rarely wear a suit,....................................
But then again, I don't have to apply for a job.

Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SUIT Navy Blue or charcoal grey, white shirt, patterned red tie. Black belt & black lace-up shoes. Get off the computer & haul ass to S&K or the Men's Wearhouse NOW.

Oh, JEEZ! I missed that!

SUIT! Absolutely, positively NO EXCUSE for ANYTHING else!
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Suit.  There is no reason to interview with HR in any other attire.  

G23c
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Suit im going with the suit.
Crap we are spending a lot of money this week.
Rent, digital camera and now a suit.
I need a new suit though. Ill kill 2 birds with one stone. If they think im overdressed, they wont count that againts me. And i would have to buy a suit in a couple weeks anyways. So what is the difference if i buy it now or later.

Thanks. Indeed im going to mens warehouse or burlington coat factory.
Thanks. Still nervous as shit. IM usually pretty confident. But this is one of those Big Time jobs.
The kind that actually pays decent money and has benefits.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What he said. +

A lite colored shirt can also be worn.

Shined Shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Women look at your crotch and your shoes. Wear boxers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know this is going to sound gay but I'm a girl so I can get away with it.

Don't afraid of some color. I'm serious. You don't *have* to go with a white shirt. To avoid the stuffieness, you *can* go with a colored shirt. I'm not talking hot pink or anything, but I've seen some *very* good looking suits that didn't have a white shirt. White might be a smidge too formal. You don't want to look like you're going to a funeral after the interview.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Suit im going with the suit.
Crap we are spending a lot of money this week.
Rent, digital camera and now a suit.
I need a new suit though. Ill kill 2 birds with one stone. If they think im overdressed, they wont count that againts me. And i would have to buy a suit in a couple weeks anyways. So what is the difference if i buy it now or later.

Thanks. Indeed im going to mens warehouse or burlington coat factory.
Thanks. Still nervous as shit. IM usually pretty confident. But this is one of those Big Time jobs.
The kind that actually pays decent money and has benefits.

Thanks again

Good luck!!!  

Definitely don't be afraid to ask the salespeople for advice on combining shirts and ties with the suit you get.  I suck at that kind of stuff, and I'd rather be a little embarassed in the store, than be embarassed later when I'm wearing it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd go with a white shirt unless I was interviewing with a "trendy" place.  Suit should be black, or dark grey/blue.  Go with a red or blue tie, solid color or discrete pattern.

My Creds?  I've interviewed with multiple large law firms.  Standard dress was black suit, white shirt, and red tie solid or subtle pattern.  I'd guess that the standards of fortune 500s are not too different from major law firms.  HR types are pretty much the same, they know all the "rules" of an interview, one if which says wear a suit if you are serious about the job.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Dress two levels above how you will dress while performing the job.  I'm guessing you would wear jeans and a t-shirt to the job and put coveralls on when you get there.  I would wear slacks with a button up shirt and tie to the interview.  Skip the khakis and polo shirt.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Im going with a suit. Some kind of pastel shirt and a tie. Im waiting for my wife to get off of work so we can go shopping. I shaved my head about 2 weeks ago. SO the hair cut is already taken care of.(short short hair looks better than receding hairline). If i overdress. At least ill have a new suit. Because i need a new suit anyways.

Color suggestions would be nice. Maybe charcoal. Or gray?
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I own a "blue collar" type company.

If a prospective shows up in a suit, I'm duly and immediately impressed that they obviously want this job enough to "suit up".

I, personally rarely wear a suit,....................................
But then again, I don't have to apply for a job.

THANK YOU.

Quoted:

.(short short hair looks better than receding hairline).

YOU BET!!   And WAY better than a comb-over.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Dark Blue or Charcoal.  Forget Black.  
White or Light Blue Shirt with RED tie.  Screw the patterns.  Solid red is good enough for W, it is good enough for a job interview.
Shine your shoes (preferably black lace up wingtips), get a haircut, shave (twice), clip your nails .  In other words clean up like you were going to the prom.   Look them right in the eye when you talk.  Sit straight, but relaxed.  No fidgeting hands.  Clasp them together in your lap if you have to.  Don't be afraid to smile.  OOOZE confidence.  Even if  you are so scared you are about  to shit your pants.  Take your time answering questions - but not too long.  

And whatever you do, when they ask you what your biggest weakness is (they always ask this), don't say "I don't have any or I tend to work to hard"  Interviewer will recognize it for bullshit.  Be prepared with an honest weakness - it shows them you recognize that there is always room for improvement.   Be prepared for a "Biggest Strength" question also.  Be honest but don't go overboard.   Say "yes/no  sir/mam" .  Thank them and if you don't get the job immediately, go home and write a thank you note to those with whom you spoke.  Call them back 1 week later to check on the status.  Lets them know you are interested.  Stay in touch periodically, but don't bug the hell out of them.  

ETA:  On the weakness question - have a stock answer ready but don't give it immediately.  Take a few seconds and act like you are thinking about it.  Same with biggest strength question.

Good  Luck.
Let us know.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#39]
you have some great advice in all previous pics.  With regards to my advice it is worth what it costs.  Personally, i  had some crappy jobs right out of college and then got focussed and got the dream job of my life and doubled my salary.  It's all about selling yourself, where you have been and where you plan to go.

You probably already know about the company and what they produce but find out some other facts about the company ie company website or insider info.  Think about some questions that you can ask about the company that will also show them that you have done your homework.

Give them an opportunity to make a case as to why they would want to hire someone with your qualifications.

Be conservative with the suit.  meaning traditional cut, basic color suit.  The color of the shirt and tie can tell a little about your personality and who you are.

the most important thing is that you are comfortable with the suit and act like it is not the only suit that you own.

Interviewers will ask some stupid questions, but they have standard meanings to read what kind of person you are.  there are some good books that you might look at to get a few ideas.  Remember, always turn a negative answer into something positive. Ex. I made this mistake but this is what it taught me.  Show them a capacity for growth and the future.

Sorry, about the long drawn out reply for a question that you did not ask an probably knew already.  It sounds like this is pretty damn important to you and your family.  These are some basic things that helped me recently.

Best of luck.

Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#40]
One tip, the thank-you letter to the person interviewing is a great idea.  Have it typed up and in your pocket/briefcase/car.  Take it to the nearest post-office immediately after the interview so that HR will have it the next day.  Scores points.  (Nothing elaborate.  "Thank you for your time...I enjoyed coming to the facility...look forward to future ...Sincerely, )

Good luck!
Scott

Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You probably already know about the company and what they produce but find out some other facts about the company ie company website or insider info.  Think about some questions that you can ask about the company that will also show them that you have done your homework.

Jeeze!  I can't believe I forgot to mention that one!  +10000
Go to their web site and follow the link to: About XYZ Inc.  

Year founded, # of employees, #states/countries they do business in, primary products - basic shit like that.  You don't have to know how many hemoroids the CEO has, but they will expect a small amount of knowledge about the company.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#43]
When you go buy the suit, take your time and make sure it FITS! The most expensive suit in the world isn't going to cover up a poor fit. Get the sales people to help you, if it has to be altered, do it. You're not going to make a good impression in a ill fitting suit, you'll look like a dope, and the HR people will begin to wonder how good you're skills really are...Oh, get a haircut too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Pressed Dockers, pressed shirt and tie if possible, shined shoes or at least clean professional footware and a decent haircut and shave.  If you have a mustache, trim it up.  A suit may be a bit much, it is a job where suits and ties are not everyday wear I do not think they expect you to wear one.

Clean, neat and presentable.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#45]
My first interview in the mining field was with Newmont. I asked the guy who interviewed me if I should "dress up" for the interview. His response was that if you come in a suit, you will not get the job.
You have to love being a geologist!
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Im just about to go out to jos banks. Mens warehouse is a little bit more pricey.

Something like this

Wife is coming with so im not going to get raped by the sales people.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#47]
You can "casualize" the suit by not wearing as dressy of a shirt - such as an Oxford Cloth type shirt rather than your standard white or blue shirt.  

If you come in and feel as if you're over dressed remain calm, shake hands, remove your jacket, lay it over your chair and take the seat offered.  You'll be at ease and show confidence.

Best of luck!!  Patty
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When in doubt, a suit.

+1   It's hard to be overdressed, real easy to be underdressed

Suit, but nothing fancy

minimum is long sleeve shirt nice slacks, tie, shined shoes.  Sports coat?
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I got a similar suit to that one. I got it at mens warehouse. We went to jos banks.  They have 2 prices. The one on the internet and the one at the store. Guess which one is a lot higher. (bastards)
Forked out another 260.00. Bought a white shirt and a gray tie. Looks good together.
I appreciate all the help the hive has given me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Squared away on shoes? Socks?

Good Luck tomorrow.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top