Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup all squared away.
My wife needs to hem the cuffs. Mens ware house charges 30.00. Didnt seem worth it
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you think of this. WHite shirt gray tie brown shoes gray patterned socks

Yep im bringing my good luck important document pen with me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What do you think of this. WHite shirt gray tie brown shoes gray patterned socks

That'll work.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you wear a watch.

MT
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That'll work, but take your hands too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
My breitling is in the bank vault all i have is a crappy digital watch. SHould i take that or not?

Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can get a job any day of the week, then it doesn't matter
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Dark Suit

i.e. dark pants, blue shirt (at least medium starch from dry cleaners)
tie (not a busy pattern,broad stripes at most)
matching belt and shoes

trust me, the woman/women will notice
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My breitling is in the bank vault all i have is a crappy digital watch. SHould i take that or not?

Stop over thinking it. If you wear the watch on a day to day basis, go ahead and wear it.

Explain to the WIfe that you need to look relaxed tomorrow. Therefore, she should... help... you with that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#11]
How early is too early for coming to a job interview? IM going to be there 15 minutes early. What to you think too early?
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:23:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Suit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Can't you dress yourself?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:30:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How early is too early for coming to a job interview? IM going to be there 15 minutes early. What to you think too early?

Do five.  That's close enough to "on time,' but early.

Scott
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:47:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
One CAN overdress, but it usually requires something rediculous, like wearing white tie and tails to a baseball game.

Now, for a job interview as described, as SUIT may be a bit overdressed, but a pair of clean, pressed slacks, shined shoes, shirt, tie, and JACKET is a minimum.

And I mean JACKET as SPORTS COAT, or BLAZER, not one of your favorite football team.

I have to agree with Zaphod, a suit might be overkill, but khakis or slacks with a sport coat is a great compromise.

96Ag
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:57:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I always drive the route the day before to make sure I know where I am going, and if it's a big company, make sure you know where to go when you get there.  Nothing more stressful than being lost when you have an interview in 5 or 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#17]
be sure to let us know how it went!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#18]

No Not for this one.

Thanks. If its overkill at least I got to play dress up for a day. And I got off my ass for once.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:58:56 AM EDT
[#19]
People come to my interviews with a suit, if they want the job.  You come in sweat pants and a t-shirt, and you will sit in the lobby all day while I am in an "emergency meeting".  I had a clown bring his coffee in and give me attitude.  Although qualified, I could see that he didn't want the job bad enough.  

A professional consultant told a group of soon to be unemployees to "dress for the job" during an interview.  I hammered her on just how many interviews that she had actually conducted.

One of the best classes I ever attended was in trade shool.  Someone who had been sitting in my seat several years back, was an HR manager and described what he looked for before the first words were ever exchanged.  

A suit says "I WANT THIS JOB",  and that is what you stated.  If it comes down to a handfull or a couple candidates, the suit may be the deciding factor (and the haircut).
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do five.  That's close enough to "on time,' but early.

Scott

Get to the parking lot early.  Then walk in 5 minutes early.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
198.246.251.11/fpx/look_template.psd.xml?cmp-show=373809PRO_S04&cmp-show=433703_VR_F03&cmp-show=695505MCK&cmp-end=1&qlt=85&rgn=0.2078,0.0362,0.3324,0.95&wid=173&hei=494&ftr=5&cvt=jpeg

That is pretty sharp.  It would be a little a-typical for interview attire, but it does look GOOD.  Where is it?

shooter
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I just came back from a airline mechanics job interview last night. I was all dressed yesterday morning (brown leather shoes, light brown dress socks, tan dockers with matching belt, white long sleeve dress shirt and tie) moments before heading out the door I had a wardrobe malfunction.......my top button would not stay buttoned so I couldn’t put on my tie! I was freaking! What I ended up doing was pulling out a nice matching knit sweater to wear over the shirt......worked out great anyway. But boy I was sweating even though we have cooler weather........plus the elevated stress of the interview, which turned out well!

I agree that at a minimum, dress shirt and tie, but in my case the outfit I ended up wearing worked also!

Good luck with the job!

"Fashion tips by Quib"
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Another tip that goes along with bringing along a pen is, bring along an extra copy of your resume and any letters of recommendation or certificates.

At one interview I went to, I met the head of HR at the receptionists desk. From there we waited for the interviewing manager to arrive. He showed up and we were introduced, but guess what.......he forgot my resume! He turned to the HR lady and asked if she had a copy of my resume, she says “yea upstairs somewhere on her desk”.  Before another word was spoken I reached into by binder and pulled out my extra resume which really impressed them, not enough to get the job, but it showed I thought ahead and came prepared!

Edited to add: My "Resume Binder" which I call it, has in it:

-Extra resume with documents.
-Pen, pencil, that modern non-liquid white out.
-Original employment documents (i.e. certifications or training certs) separated and labeled  by employer name and in sequence of employment.
-10 year employment history with all the typical info required on an application.
-10 year place of residence address list.
-Personal contact reference list.
-Drivers License # and bank info for setting up direct deposit.

I’m nervous as is when interviewing, so being prepared in advance with the above items makes things easier on me plus looks professional to the future employer!
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:21:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The machinists you interview with probably won't give a shit how you look, so as long as you don't smell and can bring something to the job - you should be fine. Good luck.

Its a big fortune 500 company. So im not going to be interviewing with machinists. Not at first. It will be handled by the Human resources department. IM really friggin nervous. The interviewer will be a woman if that makes a difference.

Khakis...ok? WHat color shirt? Is there a winning combo? WTH this sucks

WEAR A SUIT!

Machinsists may not care how you look, but HR will deal with a lot of people, most of whom will interview with suits.  Wearing a suit will show professionalism and respect towrds your potential employer, especially if you are interviewing for a job where you will not have to wear dress clothing.  Wearing khakis will suggest that it is "not worth the effrot" for you to dress up.

Don't be nervous.  Just present who you are, what you know, and what you have to offer for the company and it will go fine!

Good luck on the interview!

[edited]  I saw the suit you got in the pics, looks nice, plus it sets you apart a little from the typical back suit/blue shirt and charcoal gray suit/white shirt, so it will help them remember you visually.  Good choice, looking sharp!

A good suggestion from someone else to bring a change of clothes on the off chance you have to go down to the machine shop or whatever to prove some skills.  Can't hurt to have it with you.

Bring a pen, pencil, and a notebook (I ususlly have a leather bound one) to write in.  Also, write down any questons you want to ask on the first page of the notebook- in any industry there are standard quetsions that you ask in an interview, good to have them handy in case you get nervous.  That way you don't go home and say "D'oh, why didn't I ask that!"

Once again, good luck!
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Interview went very well
Had to get interviewed by 2 panels of interviewers. Heads of their repsective departments.
They told me i was in the running and they would let me know by the end of the week
I was told i was the only canditate in a suit. I said that is because i erally want to work there and it is worth the effort, to look nice for you

Thanks for the help. I think I got this job
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Don't wear a wristwatch or other jewelry which is too flashy or more expensive than your boss may have. It smacks of arrogance, and may give the impression you want more $$$ than they're willing to offer.

Wear a classic, simple dress watch. Seiko or something. $50 at the local mall.

KISS. Keep it simple and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I was told i was the only canditate in a suit. I said that is because i erally want to work there and it is worth the effort, to look nice for you

Haha, that's a great line!  Never would have thought of it.  Best of luck!  
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Sgatr15

Obviously not, or he doesn't have clothes that get ironed or hung on hangers often.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Interview went very well
Had to get interviewed by 2 panels of interviewers. Heads of their repsective departments.
They told me i was in the running and they would let me know by the end of the week

Thanks for the help. I think I got this job

Sounds like it went well !!!

Fingers crossed that they'll call you.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Good luck, hope you get the job! Sounds like you made a good impression!
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Good luck! Let us know!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Most bizarre job seeking experience i ahve ever had.
So far.
Got suit.
Had 2 panel interviews with 5 people.
Now ive got people calling me telling me a private investigator has been asking them questions.
They are really doing a thourough back ground check. Ive talked to their investigators 2x. I dont think there was this much investigation for my security clearance in the navy.

Thanks for all the help on the clothing. I ended up with a nice suit at least. And maybe a job.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Well best of luck to you
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top