Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/13/2005 5:24:40 PM EDT
I am trying to explain to my Dad why tannerite is legal if it explodes.  He says he can't imagine why it would be legal if it is an explosive, and he doesn't think it is legal to be manufacturing explosives(because you have to mix it up).  Some links to official sites would be helpful as well.

Thanks

ETA to add the deal!
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Because people on farms need to be able to get rid of stumps without the gov looking over their shoulders?

Or maybe just, well, because.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#2]
same reason why lye and gasoline are legal?

cuz we live in the U S of A!
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
whats tannerite
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Why isn't dynamite legal?  I think it should be.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Because the Democrats and the news companies dont know about it yet.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Its binary.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Because Tannerite is not a high order explosive like TNT or C-4, it is low order like black powder.

any link to info about this?
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Because the Democrats and the news companies dont know about it yet.

Once again correct.

Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Its binary.

01100010011010010110111001100001011100100111100100100000011001010110100000111111
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Because Tannerite is not a high order explosive like TNT or C-4, it is low order like black powder.

Actually, no. I believe Tannerite is a high order. Tannerite does not deflagerate like black powder or even modern smokeless powder. Tannerite detonates at an estimated 5000-7000 fps. However as Clean4Hire stated, it is binary and is not considered an explosive until mixed. And, since you're not actually manufacturing the components of the explosives and simply mixing the pre-manufactured components, it is legal. Of course, since most shooters do not have a licence, nor the facilities, to store high explosives, it must be used as soon as it is mixed.

A chemical engineers review of Tannerite binary exploding targets

Edited: Damned typos
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why isn't dynamite legal?  I think it should be.

When my father was a kid, my grandfather use to send him to the hardware to pick up some dynamite.

Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm pretty sure that scene in Heat where they buy explosives with just a driver's license is accurate. all depends on the type of explosive
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that scene in Heat where they buy explosives with just a driver's license is accurate. all depends on the type of explosive

There were a few states that only required a in-state DL to purchase dynamite but I'm not sure that's still the case Homeland Security and all.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Guys-

We're working out the details with Daniel Tanner right now, but we're about to offer a discount for AR15.com users. While Tannerite has been legal mostly because it flies under the radar, and has managed to stay ahead of the laws. However, since that end may be in the near future, we're going to help Daniel Tanner sel la bunch of the stuff here in the next few weeks.

If you've never used it, Tannerite is about the most fun you can have with a rifle. It is dangerous, so care should be used when placing it downrange, but it is very stable to handle and is perfectly legal because:

1) It is not an explosive until you mix the two components
2) As long as it is used once mixed and no storage of an explosive is necessary, it is not banned by federal law (some states may have restrictions)

Again, give us a few days to get the deal together, and I will be posting details here, Daniel will be joining the forums, and he will be introducing a new target specifically for AR-15s. (even I don't know the details yet)

Anyway, stay safe, and keep an eye out for Tannerite on this site...

That's awesome! Isn't the minimum age to buy it 21 though?
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Guys-

We're working out the details with Daniel Tanner right now, but we're about to offer a discount for AR15.com users. While Tannerite has been legal mostly because it flies under the radar, and has managed to stay ahead of the laws. However, since that end may be in the near future, we're going to help Daniel Tanner sel la bunch of the stuff here in the next few weeks.

If you've never used it, Tannerite is about the most fun you can have with a rifle. It is dangerous, so care should be used when placing it downrange, but it is very stable to handle and is perfectly legal because:

2) As long as it is used once mixed and no storage of an explosive is necessary, it is not banned by federal law (some states may have restrictions)

Again, give us a few days to get the deal together, and I will be posting details here, Daniel will be joining the forums, and he will be introducing a new target specifically for AR-15s. (even I don't know the details yet)

whooooah.  Most excellent.  I wanted to buy some but its freakin expensive...  maybe a discount will persuade me to make a purchase...
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#18]
This site rocks, don't it?
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Uh...tagged.
marked.
interested.
giddy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Dang it, now I have ANOTHER purchase to make.

I am going to be broke thanks to this site.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Guys-

However, since that end may be in the near future, we're going to help Daniel Tanner sel la bunch of the stuff here in the next few weeks.

Care to elaborate?
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dang it, now I have ANOTHER purchase to make.

I am going to be broke thanks to this site.

+1
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Guys-

Damn! Save for Tannerite or save for Key West Spring Break blowout... HELP ME CHOOSE!
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guys-

Damn! Save for Tannerite or save for Key West Spring Break blowout... HELP ME CHOOSE!

NO brainer........tannerite!
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Im a distrubitor for the AZ guys.

Have yet heard about that.  When I last talked to him all was well.

I guess I have to call him now.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guys-

However, since that end may be in the near future, we're going to help Daniel Tanner sel la bunch of the stuff here in the next few weeks.

Care to elaborate?

Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Sweet. whats the deal, and where do i sign up?
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Is it dangerous.
I want something for the 4th of july. I dont want to ignite it with a bullet. And i dont want any pressure waves to break windows or shrapnel to hurt people. Is this possible? I jsut want a big bang to go along with the bottle rockets and fire crackers. M80s are illegal now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Tag.
I have really got to try this stuff!
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#30]
It's inert until mixed.

Why is pseudephedrine legal!!! Cuz until you cook it...

You know the rest of the story...
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Is it dangerous when mixing it? Has it ever blown up when someone was mixing it
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#33]
tag

Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

i doubt it.

.22LR wont set it off, and I dont know if most handgun calibers will either. But rifles have a lot of power.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#35]
tag
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Is it dangerous.
I want something for the 4th of july. I dont want to ignite it with a bullet. And i dont want any pressure waves to break windows or shrapnel to hurt people. Is this possible? I jsut want a big bang to go along with the bottle rockets and fire crackers. M80s are illegal now.

You're gonna want to go with traditional fireworks for this.  Tannerite isnt really colorful, just loud!!

Still buy some tannerite and go shooting for the fourth!
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Dammit, I am trying to flatline my credit cards.  But if there is a special for arfcommers, I am just going to have to get me some.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Oh well. we only own hand guns and a shotty. BUt i am hoping to with your help build me a nice ar 15.
Thanks ahead of time for that. BTW.
Even with you guys i disagree with, i still think this is the best firearms forum in the world.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Glad to hear that Tanner will become a part of this site--I had a chance to witness a bottle get set off today (courtesy of, and great thanks to, sydwaiz, who nailed it with an M1 Garand)...I want some now!
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#40]
www.tannerite.com/

call him up and ask, he'll tell you the specifics.    or is that to much bother?
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Guys-

WOW!!!

TAGGAGE!
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#42]
T is for TANNERITE TAG!
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#43]
On phone now with Daniel Tanner now.

Seems like all is well in the Tannerite world....

Link Posted: 2/13/2005 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#44]
tag..discount is interesting
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not only is it safe to mix, but you can't set it off with a .22 or handgun round, and you can't light it with fire, fuze, etc. It is certainly safe to handle and even play football with a bottle. That' what makes it so nice- very stable yet very effective.

So really only a rifle round can set it off? Whats the most stuff someones ever mixed?
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Is it dangerous.

Big-Bang Cannons
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#47]
tag
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not only is it safe to mix, but you can't set it off with a .22 or handgun round, and you can't light it with fire, fuze, etc. It is certainly safe to handle and even play football with a bottle. That' what makes it so nice- very stable yet very effective.

So really only a rifle round can set it off? Whats the most stuff someones ever mixed?

Personaly I have seen 16 bottles.

Have been told about more, lot's more!

Link Posted: 2/13/2005 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Not enough of you guys have quoted Ed Sr's response.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top