Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I had to put down the family German Shepherd back in 98.

One word of advice for those of you who may find themselves in a similar situation:  Don't stand too close to the animal.  I was sprayed with blood after I pulled the trigger.  

I had him lay down and I shot him point-blank in the head with a 9MM +P JHP.  Big mistake.  If there's ever a next time, I think I will get a little farther back.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#2]
first off, I've had to do 2 of our cats in the past year or so. and straight up. I cried while I did so even knowing it ended their suffering,
BUT.
Are you saying  it's ok to kill anothers pet or companion ? not sick, not suffering , not doing anything and  that just happen to be "in your yard" or cross your piece of dirt?

that's pretty sad  man. << just in case one of my pets that went missing was one of them.

a dog chasing your farm animals, killing chickens, ok, I can accept and agree with.( same goes in these parts for chasing deer not that I've ever shot someones pet )
coyotes and other non pets not included in this question?

Chris

Quoted:
I have no qualms about dropping the hammer on a troubling animal.  Cats, dogs, coyotes, etc. that come in my yard/field and threaten my animals are dispatched immediately, just as I would expect any other farmer to do if it were my animal on their property.

It is much harder if the animal was a pet and companion, but I still don't hesitate if it will end said companion's misery.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]
What is this pill ETH speaks of?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
first off, I've had to do 2 of our cats in the past year or so. and straight up. I cried while I did so even knowing it ended their suffering,
BUT.
Are you saying  it's ok to kill anothers pet or companion ? not sick, not suffering , not doing anything and  that just happen to be "in your yard" or cross your piece of dirt?

that's pretty sad  man. << just in case one of my pets that went missing was one of them.

a dog chasing your farm animals, killing chickens, ok, I can accept and agree with.( same goes in these parts for chasing deer not that I've ever shot someones pet )

Chris

Quoted:
I have no qualms about dropping the hammer on a troubling animal.  Cats, dogs, coyotes, etc. that come in my yard/field and threaten my animals are dispatched immediately, just as I would expect any other farmer to do if it were my animal on their property.

It is much harder if the animal was a pet and companion, but I still don't hesitate if it will end said companion's misery.

He said, "Cats, dogs, coyotes, etc. that come in my yard/field and threaten my animals are dispatched immediately
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you euthanize your own pets

Many times over the years.

Read...   "Of mice and men" you get the idea

GM
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
just seems pretty shitty to kill someone elses pet or companion animal.
sounds like one just in the yard is a threat dispatched just in case to me.

I may be getting the wrong gist from his post.

if so, apologies.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#8]
so fill us in man.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Lets say you have a troubled animal.  Like maybe a stray cat that is giving you trouble or a pet dog that has turned bad.

Do you do the killing yourself?

Why or why not?

Sgtar15

The vet would not let me actually give the shot, because it takes some practice to hit the blood vessels.  I held her until she was completely gone.  20 years old and she was gone.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BUT.

Chris

Quoted:

He said, "Cats, dogs, coyotes, etc. that come in my yard/field and threaten my animals are dispatched immediately

Clarification: I raise chickens and ducks for poultry shows.  I have a lot of them, and thus, a lot of time and energy devoted to raising them.  To me, they are pets and a food source (eggs).  Therefore, I drop any foreign, predatory animal within 150 yards of my house, barn or poultry runs.  Coyotes were thrown in there to show that I consider stray (or roaming) dogs and cats as well as wild predators to be vermin and are to be dealt with accordingly.

I also own 9 barn cats and 2 dogs, a Doberman and a mutt, that co-exist very well with my other animals.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for the clarification.

someones pet or companion 9DOG OR CAT) though, is not "vermin". but that's just my opinion of course, I am not raising chickens and ducks.

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
BUT.

Chris

Quoted:

Clarification: I raise chickens and ducks for poultry shows.  I have a lot of them, and thus, a lot of time and energy devoted to raising them.  To me, they are pets and a food source (eggs).  Therefore, I drop any foreign, predatory animal.  Coyotes were thrown in there to show that I consider stray dogs and cats as well as wild predators to be vermin and are to be dealt with accordingly.

I also own 9 barn cats and 2 dogs, a Doberman and a mutt, that co-exist very well with my other animals.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
BUT.

That's what I am saying.  Sniper attack with Aquila 22LR.  I'll try to post pics of the next batch so you can clear your eye ducts some more.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

someones pet or companion 9DOG OR CAT) though, is not "vermin". but that's just my opinion of course, I am not raising chickens and ducks.

It is when it crosses into my yard....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#15]
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."

-Immanuel Kant

TY NY patriot.

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:
BUT.

That's what I am saying.  Sniper attack with Aquila 22LR.  I'll try to post pics of the next batch so you can clear your eye ducts some more.

Sgtar15

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."

-Immanuel Kant

TY NY patriot.

Chris

What are you having for dinner tonight?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#17]
ahhh SGt, so you're a good cotholic adult , who plays with childrens dolls and is intentionally cruel to animals.

you have the makings of a grand ole serial killer.

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is when it crosses into my yard....

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#18]
it ain't my pet  or anyone elses there jeffery.

food is raised for killing. we all gotta eat.

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Immanuel Kant

TY NY patriot.

Chris

What are you having for dinner tonight?

Sgatr15

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Chris

Lots of places eat cat...and dog.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]
"places" ????????????????????????????

name a few in this country that serves dog or cat, and a link of proof..

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

Lots of places eat cat...and dog.

Sgatr15

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#22]
no, I didn't, but thanks for the link.

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Immanuel Kant

TY NY patriot.

Chris

You did see this post by NYPatriot, right?--

Quoted:

Sorry to hear about your loss Sgtar15. Seeing as we are opening up around here, I thought I might share as well.

I recently lost a beautiful cocker spaniel puppy (8 months old). He loved to romp around, chew on his toys, and generally behave like energetic puppies do.

Problem was, I found this behavior very annoying, so I tied him in a pillowcase, took him out to the woods, and clubbed him to death with an Aluminum bat. I guess you could say he played himself to death.

Oh well... at least I won't have to walk him at all hours of the day & night anymore.

While we're sharing of course...

. . . in this thread:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=283150

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
"places" ????????????????????????????

name a few in this country that serves dog or cat, and a link of proof..

Chris

Okay....

www.all-creatures.org/anex/cat-soup-08.html

And I never said in this country...although I am sure it occurres.

Sgatr15

PS  You don't want more do you?  Because I have more....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#24]
if you have one IN THIS COUNTRY. you know, a civilized nation.

We all know them orientals will eat anything that moves.

nice try, but this ain't korea or viet nam.

you ain't korean are ya ?

Chris
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#25]
If anybody thinks that the physical act of loading a beloved pet that is at the end of it's days into a vehicle and driving it to a vet's office where you wait your turn to take Spot into see old Dr. Death...you got the picture...you are the one wearing sunglasses and quietly choking back sobs...everybody else in the room damn well KNOWS what YOU are up to...has any practiccal difference from personally taking YOUR pet out back and ending it's suffering by your own hand is not being honest with himself. Your pet is YOUR responsibility. I think it is...well...a matter of loyalty to personally end the suffering. Further, the bringing of a stranger (the vet) into the the final moment would be intrusive.  It ain't easy but it is the RIGHT thing to do. I've done it ...I hate it...but I will continue to perform that act of loyalty to my animals as the need arises. Don't use a "+p" anything...a .22 short is sufficient. This is a fucked up thread.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#26]
In an emergency yes , such as one that is causing injury induced pain .

Other then that NO , drug induced euthanasia is painless and without trauma .
Sure a bullet to the brain is quick , but they hear the sound in that last split second .
If it's my pet , I owe them better then that .
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#27]
It's like this....a true pet is family.   So I say this.  Look me in the eyes.  Let someone I know do the deed.  Let a true friend do it.  Someone whom it means something to.  If it is not family then it has no meaning.  It's simple killin.   I could let the Vet do it, but it has no meaning.  My pet has a life and it has meaning.  Does it sadden me to do this?  Yes, but I do it out of love and not money.  That is why I do it myself.  It means something to me and to my pet because it is between me and my pet as it should be...family, as it should be.  And maybe if God is willin then me and my pet will cross pathes again and will have a mutual respect.  Respect for life...and respect for death...respect for death as in a family way...on a higher level, not as a servent or meaningless death but as a death that hurts the one one whom administers it as a family member and looses a loved one.  And respect for life, for a fimily member who wishes death has not come to a loved one.  I hope this makes sense.  I have taken care of many pets...none without tears and respect as family members because that is what they were.

Wes
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#28]
You know Sgtar15... the more you post the more I realize that you are truly a sick person.

You are obsessed with the killing of small animals & that is not a healthy mindset. Normal people don't take pleasure in the thought & practice of killing cats & dogs. They don't talk incessantly about the topic, and they don't revel in the notoriety that killing these animals brings them.

I suspect that your sadistic obsession with killing pets is a symptom of some other deep seeded & dangerous personality disorder Sgtar15, and I would seriously suggest that you seek professional help before your demented tendencies lead you down the path toward hurting another human being.

I'm not engaging in hyperbole or Internet posturing here... you strike me as a disturbed individual & frankly it scares me that you own firearms. You are obviously not of sound mind & are thus unfit to own a butter knife, let alone an AR-15.

I suspect that you will shrug off this post as so much nonsense, but hear me well Sgtar15... IMO you have served notice that you are a sick, obsessed sadist & I have no further use for you. It nauseates me that I must continue to share these forums with your kind, and I just hope that others will recognize you for what you really are.

Steer clear of me in the future Sgtar15 & I will surely do the same.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I have offered to put peoples animals down before, I have no pets though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I said yes, & I have done in many pets for others as well. Sometimes with permission.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Considering, I dont like most animals and want to elimnate them does it make me a bad person
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It's like this....a true pet is family.   So I say this.  Look me in the eyes.  Let someone I know do the deed.  Let a true friend do it.  Someone whom it means something to.  If it is not family then it has no meaning.  It's simple killin.   I could let the Vet do it, but it has no meaning.  My pet has a life and it has meaning.  Does it sadden me to do this?  Yes, but I do it out of love and not money.  That is why I do it myself.  It means something to me and to my pet because it is between me and my pet as it should be...family, as it should be.  And maybe if God is willin then me and my pet will cross pathes again and will have a mutual respect.  Respect for life...and respect for death...respect for death as in a family way...on a higher level, not as a servent or meaningless death but as a death that hurts the one one whom administers it as a family member and looses a loved one.  And respect for life, for a fimily member who wishes death has not come to a loved one.  I hope this makes sense.  I have taken care of many pets...none without tears and respect as family members because that is what they were.

Wes

I've got a sick pet, and have been trying to decide if I should do it myself  when the
time comes. I just made my decision. Thank you
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I once had to put down a hamster from my GF's sister that had many many tumors

My old man put my hamster in a paper bag and held it over the tailpipe when it was sick.

I woke up that day and said "Where's Harry?"

cue sad puppy dog eyes

I think it depends on the situation.  I'd like to ask the vet for pills and do it but, from recent experience, we just rushed the big guy to the vet for the big sleep.  

- BG
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Does accidentally flushing a hamster count?

Can hamsters swim?
I don’t know.  Let’s put him in the toilet.

Yep he’s swimming…

But how well can he swim?
Flushhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Where did he go!
I don’t know…
WAAAAAAAAA! I’m telling mom!

!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Beekeeper, defend him if you must, but I believe that his "jokes" & "Internet persona" indicate that the man is struggling with some powerful inner demons.

By your logic, if I were to adopt an "Internet persona" that "jokes" around about subjects like committing arson or molesting children I would just be making funnies & blowing off steam, right? That would be OK with you & you would still think that I was a normal person??? I don't think so...  

Beekeeper, I don't hide behind "Internet personas", troll accounts, or any other bullshit facades... I am who I am, both on the Internet & in real life. Talk to me on these forums or talk to me face to face... my opinions, observations, worldview, and general demeanor are the same. I always speak the truth as I see it, and I expect others to do the same.

Beekeeper, if Sgtar15 is really the upstanding guy that you say he is, let him come out from behind the curtain & display that he is actually a sane & rational man... then I might believe you. If he continues to play his demented little character however, I'm inclined to think that he advocates some or all of what he posts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
THE YARD CATS JUST WON'T QUIT HAVING KITTENS.... BUT THEY SEEM PREDISPOSED TO LEAD POISION.  I FOR ONE AIN'T PAYIN' 80 BUCKS TO FIX A CAT THAT WASN'T HERE A MONTH AGO AND MAY NOT BE HERE A MONTH FROM NOW. IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME A BIT. ANYONE WHO LETS AN ANIMAL DESTROY THERE PROPERTY NEEDS TO GO ON THE DR. PHIL SHOW.
MY CHICKENS....YEP, FIRST SIGN OF SICKNESS IT'S THE OLD RUSTY CHICKEN MACHETE FOR THEM.
IF MY DOG WAS DOWN AND NOT FIXABLE ( HIT BY A CAR AND REALLYREALLY MESSED UP) I COULD DO IT. IT'D BE TO MAKE IT EASY ON HIM.
I'M A NURSE AND I SEE A LOT OF SUFFERING BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T WANT THE RESPONSIBILITY AND LET A LOVED ONE GO...

home.comcast.net/~vx/capslock.gif

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't know Sarge.  Never met the guy.  "Spoke" with him in chat a couple of times, traded a few IM's with him, that's it.

He's a stand-up guy who likes to get your goat.  Nothing more, nothing less.

He's quite good at exposing people.  Quite good.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:56:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Well this thread is ruined now.

Yes, I have killed before in the past.  Yes I have killed many a cat, chicken, and so forth....geese were the harest, they have stroing necks.

And yes, I own two cats.  Did I tell you about the time a sparrow landed at my feet and stayed with me for 1/2 hour before it died?  That about killed me as I cried for 15 minutes over that stupid bird.  When I was a kid my dad took me hunting, I shoot a deer and saw those big brown eyes close, I don't think I could do that again.

But I sure as fuck ain't paying some vet $50+ to kill an animal when I obviously can do the job myself.  ANd if MY pet ends up on YOUR lawn I won't be giving anyone to much grief if they end up killing it.  AFter all, if I love it enough I will keep it inside right?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:55:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Sure a bullet to the brain is quick , but they hear the sound in that last split second .
If it's my pet , I owe them better then that .

So don't use sub-sonic ammunition.
I do it myself, they don't know what happens, ever.

I do, but I am honest enough with myself tro know that there is no difference in "who killed fluffy" between doing it by hand or hiring it done; it was still my decision, volition, and action either way.
It helps if you are farm-raised, or at least exposed.

Larry
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't have any qualms whatsoever, it's just that i have to sit down and try to decide what tool would best be suited for the job. Hmm a club or my M-4......
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:15:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Reminds me of the little old lady who owned two chimpanzees.  They both died, so she took them to a taxidermist so she could have her "babies" memorialized.  "Would you like them mounted?" he asked.  "No," she said, "holding hands would be fine."
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#47]
I took my Boxer to the vet, and held her forehead to mine, looking her straight in the eyes and whispering to her that everything would be OK as the vet administered the injection... I buried her in the back yard in the shade of the crepe myrtles where she would often go to relax.

Lord, I miss my dog.

I did the same thing with my Chow.  He just went to sleep with me holding him and scratching his ears.  The vet didn't want me to do it, but screw him. Guess they just didn't want a middle age guy blubbering in their office.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Beekeeper, defend him if you must, but I believe that his "jokes" & "Internet persona" indicate that the man is struggling with some powerful inner demons.

By your logic, if I were to adopt an "Internet persona" that "jokes" around about subjects like committing arson or molesting children I would just be making funnies & blowing off steam, right? That would be OK with you & you would still think that I was a normal person??? I don't think so...  

Beekeeper, I don't hide behind "Internet personas", troll accounts, or any other bullshit facades... I am who I am, both on the Internet & in real life. Talk to me on these forums or talk to me face to face... my opinions, observations, worldview, and general demeanor are the same. I always speak the truth as I see it, and I expect others to do the same.

Beekeeper, if Sgtar15 is really the upstanding guy that you say he is, let him come out from behind the curtain & display that he is actually a sane & rational man... then I might believe you. If he continues to play his demented little character however, I'm inclined to think that he advocates some or all of what he posts.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
You know Sgtar15... the more you post the more I realize that you are truly a sick person.

You are obsessed with the killing of small animals & that is not a healthy mindset. Normal people don't take pleasure in the thought & practice of killing cats & dogs. They don't talk incessantly about the topic, and they don't revel in the notoriety that killing these animals brings them.

I suspect that your sadistic obsession with killing pets is a symptom of some other deep seeded & dangerous personality disorder Sgtar15, and I would seriously suggest that you seek professional help before your demented tendencies lead you down the path toward hurting another human being.

I'm not engaging in hyperbole or Internet posturing here... you strike me as a disturbed individual & frankly it scares me that you own firearms. You are obviously not of sound mind & are thus unfit to own a butter knife, let alone an AR-15.

I suspect that you will shrug off this post as so much nonsense, but hear me well Sgtar15... IMO you have served notice that you are a sick, obsessed sadist & I have no further use for you. It nauseates me that I must continue to share these forums with your kind, and I just hope that others will recognize you for what you really are.

Steer clear of me in the future Sgtar15 & I will surely do the same.  

WTF???
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I hated to see you so disparaged, and in such a serious fashion.  I was just trying to help.  

I know Mikey...I know....but now people are going to start to think I have feeling and and actually give a shit....

SGatr15
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top