Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I have put a couple of dogs down that were very sick. One of the toughest things in the world.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#2]

I've got a sick pet, and have been trying to decide if I should do it myself when the
time comes. I just made my decision. Thank you

Welcome dude,
I understand and am sorry, I think your pet will be more comfortable in the prescence of 'his own' family.

Wes
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Mommie Colt_SBR    

Colt_SBR
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
2 months ago I took my 11 yr old beagle to the vet to have her put down. It was her time.
I stayed with her during the euthanasia procedure. And I cried.

She was a loving & faithful companion and will remain in my heart forever.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Did it once to my childhood dog who was 16.  Took him out in the desert and put him on a blanket.  When he went to sleep, I put a 22 from a rifle point blank into his head.  Never felt a thing.  Buried him in a limestone cave covered by a rock cairn. At the time (20 years ago) I felt I owed it to him to do it personally.  That was one of the hardest things I've ever done and I'm not sure I could do it again.  I love my dogs like they were my biological children and I would do anything for them.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I let god do it, he took out one of my cats last nght.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeap, have done it in the past.  Mostly strays and the neighbors' pets that were sick and wanted them to be put down.  

One time we had two beagles and the bitch had pups.  It was around March and she let the pups freeze by leaving the dog house and going sleep with the male.  Dad looked at her and said the pups die you die.  The next day the last pup died, she had slipped her collar.  A 130 gr hollowpoint from a .308 cleans out the brainbucket of a beagle real good.  

Any dog willing to let her pups die doesn't deserve to live.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife and I took our 9 year old German Shepherd to the vet's office to have him put to sleep this spring.  During the injection, my wife held him in her arms on the floor.  She laid on the floor with him and cried uncontrollably for almost 20 minutes until I finally had to take her out of the office and take her home.  Up to that point, I couldn't remember the last time I cried.  I should be fortunate I guess in that it was the hardest thing we've ever gone through as a couple

I honestly don't know of an easy way to do it.  I have another one that is starting to show her age and I can't even think of the day we have to go through that again.  I do know that although I'll be there with her when she goes, I could never do it myself

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top