User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
They want all of our pie!

We must defend our pie to the last man!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd kind of like to know the bottom line here, also.  Has something happened, or not?  If it has, what, and by whom?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]
If there's ANY subpoena at present, it has an automatic, mandatory gag-order attached to it.

I have been party to such a thing and I can speak to the certainties of the mandatory gag-orders which accompany nearly all such subpoenas nowdays.

You have no freedom of speech, and even telling your wife that you have been served a subpoena could threaten your physical freedom.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What he is saying is CENSORSHIP is going to be forced upon us if we keep saying we want Muslims dead!

In other words due to the Patriot Act someone is telling him we can no longer do the Patriotic thing and have freedom of speech!

The Soviet Union had nothing on .GOV!!!!

I guess you just posted without reading any of the above posts, YOU HAVE NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH HERE!! this is a privately owned site. Nothing is being forced on you here. If you don't like it then you can leave, simple as that.

Fair enough (and correct).

The problem I have is that there are apprently "Enemies" out there that have "attacked" us.  Now this MAY be .gov and/or some anti-gun/leftist types.  If this was about Juan and Ed Sr. simply exercising their rights as owner of this site then I'd chalk it up to "philosophical differences" between them and the members of THEIR site, but it doesn't appear to be that at all.

This APPEARS to be OUTSIDE pressure by people or organizations unknown that are FORCING the owners of this site to "lie low", not by their own choice but by FORCE.

Anyway that you want to slice it, THAT SUCKS.  If by anti-gun indviduals or groups, that makes any "appeasement" especially disgusting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He implied that he had been subpoenaed under the Patriot Act for information.  If that's not what it is, if it's private citizens or groups attacking Arfcom, I say unleash the dogs of war - goatboy himself said "Look what these people can do when they're pissed off."

Goatboy, it might be time to lift this veil of secrecy that arf has operated under for so long.

But the patriot act is a good thing that the .gov can use to catch terrorists and keep us safe.

Fuck that shit.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What he is saying is CENSORSHIP is going to be forced upon us if we keep saying we want Muslims dead!

In other words due to the Patriot Act someone is telling him we can no longer do the Patriotic thing and have freedom of speech!

The Soviet Union had nothing on .GOV!!!!

I guess you just posted without reading any of the above posts, YOU HAVE NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH HERE!! this is a privately owned site. Nothing is being forced on you here. If you don't like it then you can leave, simple as that.

Fair enough (and correct).

The problem I have is that there are apprently "Enemies" out there that have "attacked" us.  Now this MAY be .gov and/or some anti-gun/leftist types.  If this was about Juan and Ed Sr. simply exercising their rights as owner of this site then I'd chalk it up to "philosophical differences" between them and the members of THEIR site, but it doesn't appear to be that at all.

This APPEARS to be OUTSIDE pressure by people or organizations unknown that are FORCING the owners of this site to "lie low", not by their own choice but by FORCE.

Anyway that you want to slice it, THAT SUCKS.  If by anti-gun indviduals or groups, that makes any "appeasement" especially disgusting.

Bang.  That's exactly what I mean, and exactly why I started this thread.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I see what he's talking about, and GB is right.  It's a problem big bloggers like Charles Johnson at littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog have.  The people who comment after all the stories he links to tend to be a little.........extreme.  It has the effect of the people Johnson criticizes, such as terror enablers like CAIR, to say "Look at our critics!  They're racisst!  They're Haters!  You can't trust anything they say!"

GB is afraid anti gunners would use outrageous comments on his site to discredit gunowners, or imply it's dangerous to let people have guns because they have extremely strident opinions that call for the deaths of people based on their religion. He's afraid of instead of being an example of responsible ownership, what's said on arfkom could become a LIABILITY OR JUSTIFICCATION to circumscribe gun ownership rights.

I think he's completely on base and right on with that.

+1

We are the largest gun site on the net. we have to realize that we are used to set the profile of a standard american gun owner.

We see in the news about wackos associated with "extremeist sites." Do we want to be such a site?

I think not. it would cause too much trouble and undermine all that we have worked together to accomplish.

ARFCOM has already been labeled an "extremist site" by the media after the Ryan Anderson case. If you thought thought that this placed was monitored heavily before you can bet your ass it is now. From the friendyl, to the moderates, to the down right anti's.  

It would be nice if arf said "Fuck you" and carried on business as usual, but then again not everyone is as Um-PC as I am. There's money involved here too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:30:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If there's ANY subpoena at present, it has an automatic, mandatory gag-order attached to it.

I have been party to such a thing and I can speak to the certainties of the mandatory gag-orders which accompany nearly all such subpoenas nowdays.

You have no freedom of speech, and even telling your wife that you have been served a subpoena could threaten your physical freedom.

And we should all act accordingly.  If there is a supoena on this site, I can imagine the .gov has gotten all of our ip addy's and started tracking them as well, or at least a few of you guys ()

TXL
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#9]
So if team members decide they want to leave, do they get a refund?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So if team members decide they want to leave, do they get a refund?

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#11]
TXLewis.... Act according to how/what?

The Federal Behavioral Code of Expression Standards?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bang.  That's exactly what I mean, and exactly why I started this thread.

I agree. But until GB decides to let us in on WHO is doing it, I don't see what can be done to stop any harassment he is receiving.

Either way GB you are doing a great job, keep it up!!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Kind of makes you wonder?

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/malkin200402130909.asp
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, if the board changed in such a way that a team member wanted to no longer be associated with it, wouldn't they be entitled to have their money refunded, even if prorated?

EDIT: Never mind, I read the membership agreement.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#16]
To our benevolent Federal Government overseers:

For every 1 pimply-faced permanent adolescent advocating religion-based genocide on arfcom - there are 10 losers on DU threatening to “finally get a gun” if GW is re-elected.  The only thing most of the keyboard kommandos here are capable of “rounding up” is their Mom’s secret Little Debbie snack stash.

The blowhards here, for the most part, have already passed an NICS background check – it’s those weirdoes over on DU you have to watch out for.

The Patriot Act police would be better off calling in Weight Watchers here and concentrating their efforts elsewhere – believe me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:44:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And we should all act accordingly.  If there is a supoena on this site, I can imagine the .gov has gotten all of our ip addy's and started tracking them as well, or at least a few of you guys ()

TXL

I know you're being but it begs the question... IF this site is actively on .gov's radar and has been for some time, what does that say that no one outside of select few knew about it?  I'm NOT trying to point fingers because I sure as hell don't have enough information to something like that, but IF it has been that way I feel that we've been had.  That this site is nothing more than a "honey pot" or, more accurately, "flypaper".

I don't have enough Renyolds Wrap in the house to go any further with this right now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#20]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For the love... I'm ready to roll up my sleaves.  Whose with me?  This site is way too important to way too many people including myself to allow revokation of our 1st amendment rights.

Guys, Goatboy is 100% CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!

This is a large site!!  This IS a community of 10,000's of people and sponsors.  With that comes responsibility....and certain RULES!!!!!!!

At the very, very, very worst...Goatboy is taking a an extremely tolerant and right leaning stance on this issue.

Goatboy isn't trying to make everyone happy, and he isn't trying to make the advertizers happy, and he isn't trying to make most people happy.

He is just doing what HE thinks is  right and best for this, OUR, community!

And since Goatboy is the REAL MAYOR, (ie site owner), then he can do that!!

I don't have to like it....

I can disagree with it...

SHIT!!  He even lets me post and BITCH AT HIM ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!

SO you know what???  After all is said and done I still freaking want to STAY HERE!!!!!!!
And that's all I have to say about that.

Sgt(maybe)ar15

Right on, Sarge.....Goatboy, in his position, has to do a huge balancing act between letting us rant and promoting 'hate speech' nowadays.

I have said before that I DO NOT agree with everything done here....but I DO realize that things happen beyond my comprehension, and I have great respect for the guys who own/run/manage/moderate this site.......I think we'd all understand a bit better if we walked a mile in their shoes. And I think we all agree that the Avilas & co. are honorable enough men that, since we can't walk that mile in their shoes, we can just trust them to do what's best for the site.

I wouldn't say that about many people, especially that I've never met, and certainly not a politician, but I think it can be said of the Avilas.

I hope I'm not wrong. I like it here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:The Patriot Act police would be better off calling in Weight Watchers here and concentrating their efforts elsewhere – believe me.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I won't repost the whole thing, but I'm still laughing.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#24]
WOW...that was powerfully accurate
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be nice if arf said "Fuck you" and carried on business as usual, but then again not everyone is as Um-PC as I am. There's money involved here too.

It would be nice if we would all say to the government:" The constitution says I can do this,so fuck you and the existing laws.I am having as many  machineguns,C4,etc  as I want, because I am garanteed one in the 2nd ammendment,etc".............but not everyone is as UnPC as you are!

Note:PD,this is not directed at you.I just wanted to use your line of thinking to be sarcastic about how we want to keep "redrawing the line" as the gov takes more and more of our righta away.

Actually you could ,unfortunately the JBT's would shoot your dog, stomp your cat and kill your family. Unless of course you have superior numbers and will. Now the C4 bit is going a bit far, the Federalist Papaers tell us that we are entitled to the access of the same SMALL ARMS as the standing Army. "Small Arms" is defined as .50 caliber and under.

I know you're not dumb Ed, but just because the government (or more specifically somoneone in the government) says you can/can't do something does not make them right.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Kind of makes you wonder?

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/malkin200402130909.asp

Kinda' scary.

Thursday night, I did a little Internet digging on the groups.google.com search engine of Usenet discussion forums, which provides some interesting clues about Anderson. Washington State University confirms that he graduated from the school in 2002 with a degree in military history, focusing on the Middle East. Using the e-mail address [email protected], Anderson posted prolifically to a strange and volatile variety of Internet newsgroups, including forums for gun enthusiasts, skinheads, cinema, games, Islam, and Arabic culture. He offered opinions on everything from the movie Starship Troopers to sniping weapons and presidential politics. Putting aside the chronic misspellings, the 154 messages are an instructive glimpse into the mind of an immature American youth with a potentially dangerous longing to belong.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#28]
... WTF cares?

... GoatBoy stated he had it handled, I believe him, he's a man of his word. If he needs your help he'll ask you for it I'm sure; so far as I know he hasn't asked. He also stated the obvious, (paraphrased) "if you're active on Internet blogs or gun-forums and you're not breaking the law, there's nothing to worry about".

... What could be more simple and clear than that? Now, do I believe there are shit-stirrers, banned-members troll-accounts, attention whores, true lunatics and drama queens on the site causing problems? Absolutely, probably %15 or more of the active accounts.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
LAUGHING MY MOTHERFUCKIN ASS OFF!!!!!!!!

Let's see... it was just a few months back when I was railing away on the encroachment of the 1st Amendment within the context of the FCC and the Howard Stern Show.

Of course, a bunch of people here hated Howard because of XYZ.... and that justified the FCC and ClearChannel's actions.

The implications are pretty clear. If you are a sizeable enough media resource, you will be subjugated or you will face the consequence. This is a reality of the present administration.

I was called names, tinfoil hatted, etc... but in my own personal experience, I can come up with several things which the Avilas may be facing, which are very real, and very serious.

Then again, what do I know. I am just a DU troll... DUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDU!!!

We were pissbags then, remember?  

NOW we are torch carriers for freedom.  

Funny how that works.  

Having said that, I know that GB and Ed. Sr. have to do what they have to do.  

It would be nice to know WTF is going on, but it's their show.  

I have to defer to them.  

I only ask that the standard be enforced uniformly for ALL members.  

If a comment is off limits in one thread, then it's always off limits (practical monitoring considerations accounted for of course).  

I can still pretty much say what I want to say here, and that's good.  

Mods who don't enforce the rules uniformly need to be removed however.  

And certain "grudges" and personality issues need to be dealt with before banning people.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I see what he's talking about, and GB is right.  It's a problem big bloggers like Charles Johnson at littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog have.  The people who comment after all the stories he links to tend to be a little.........extreme.  It has the effect of the people Johnson criticizes, such as terror enablers like CAIR, to say "Look at our critics!  They're racisst!  They're Haters!  You can't trust anything they say!"

GB is afraid anti gunners would use outrageous comments on his site to discredit gunowners, or imply it's dangerous to let people have guns because they have extremely strident opinions that call for the deaths of people based on their religion. He's afraid of instead of being an example of responsible ownership, what's said on arfkom could become a LIABILITY OR JUSTIFICCATION to circumscribe gun ownership rights.

I think he's completely on base and right on with that.

If he's on base we've got David/Goliath problems.  Did Alec Baldwin or Spike Lee get called out for their "outrageous" statements?  I think the media was heehawing right next to them....

Like I said, if he's right it will be the same fight as the one for religious free speech where you can have it "in your own home..in the closet."

Dan Rather can preach lies and the fourth estate (including conservatives like Debra Saunders) continues to play it down...  Frankly I think they're afraid of losing their status to the new media types on the internet.  That they disparage them as less than professional is just another clue to their superior liberaleliteness.  Free speech out of control on the internet .....guess people don't really care for McCain Feingold "stand in the corner" legalisms.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
To our benevolent Federal Government overseers:

For every 1 pimply-faced permanent adolescent advocating religion-based genocide on arfcom - there are 10 losers on DU threatening to “finally get a gun” if GW is re-elected.  The only thing most of the keyboard kommandos here are capable of “rounding up” is their Mom’s secret Little Debbie snack stash.

The blowhards here, for the most part, have already passed an NICS background check – it’s those weirdoes over on DU you have to watch out for.

The Patriot Act police would be better off calling in Weight Watchers here and concentrating their efforts elsewhere – believe me.

I hereby nominate Dolomite for ARFCOM Press Secretary.  Disarming the enemy through humour.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#33]
DOLOMITE: That was hilarious! Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Well I can certainly see where the owners of this site must feel like they are between a rock and a hard place. With all the nuts running loose in this world and maybe even on this site.

The Patriot Act: Who thought up that  f#<king  name? I don't see anything remotely Patriotic about focusing their magnifing glass on people who abide by the law, [soapbox ] One must remember,gun owners as a whole are probably the most patriotic people in this country of ours. I take this as an insult,if this is the case!

Where to go from here? Not my site,not my problem....whatever,but this my opinion.

I say sue the bastards, whoever it is that thinks they can come in here and force us to think as they want us to. I don't cotton to being told to say or act a certain way in fear of what "they" may think,but as said earlier,you can't condon the killing of inocent people.

However you must stand up for what you believe in.
I would be willing to kick some cash for legal defence.
I say fire the first round

Edit: Damn GB I wish I would have seen your post before I pecked out all of the above.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
What could possibly get this site shut down??? Inquiring minds want to know.

You guys have to realize something very important.  Goatboy relies on service providers to connect to the Internet.  Most providers have acceptable use policies that forbid the types of things like hate speech and death threats.  All it takes is one complaint and one URL for some reactionary at whoever provides the service to this site to shut it down.  And this is all above and beyond discrediting us as gun owners.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If it was a "patriot act" subpoena for information ... wouldn't it be illegal for him to tell us about it?

It would be illegal for him to consult anyone, inlcuding his lawyer.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If it was a "patriot act" subpoena for information ... wouldn't it be illegal for him to tell us about it?

I can think of one "Rebel-Grey" reason to be subpoena'd for info.

It's not my house, I don't throw stones.

He's already been tried and sentenced.  The only thing they could possible be looking for now is collaborators and like-minded individuals.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#39]
for all the government monitors

to the Avilias, you have my full support in anything u gotta do.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#40]
deleted.damn I wished I lived in a free country.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Such a shit-storm from people with nothing to lose except a place to hang out on the computer all day.

The Avilas, OTOH, have *real* money, HUGE amounts of time, and "blood, sweat, and tears" invested in this place.

It's amazing to me how anyone could fail to see that difference.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Agreed.

ETA: I was agreeing with Ed's last post.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Such a shit-storm from people with nothing to lose except a place to hang out on the computer all day.

The Avilas, OTOH, have *real* money, HUGE amounts of time, and "blood, sweat, and tears" invested in this place.

It's amazing to me how anyone could fail to see that difference.

very true!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Posted by Goatboy:
As for the PCness of the site, it's simple and I've explained this several times. There are certain things which will get a place shut down and with all the AWB anger from liberals,

I've never seen a site get shut down. Can you name a couple?

they've taken shots at us and won a few minor battles the past few weeks which I have had to deal with.

Who has taken shots at AR15.com? What were the battles over which they won?

I think if you were a little less obtuse it would help the situation with your members.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I think goatse.cx finally got suspended.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#46]
btt
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I think goatse.cx finally got suspended.

I'm *not* checking!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I see clearly now that I read Goatboy's post.  Makes perfect sense to me.

I agree.  What more clarificatin could anyone possibly need after reading his post?  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I see clearly now that I read Goatboy's post.  Makes perfect sense to me.

I agree.  What more clarificatin could anyone possibly need after reading his post?  

Maybe a "Who". How about a "What"?

Sunshine cleanses. I want to know the answers to the simple questions I asked. Frankly, it sounds like tin-foil bullshit to me.  
"Pissed post-AWB liberals"? Yeah, right! What are they going to do? Whine? They already do that.

Nothing like a little intrigue to boost ratings, eh?

Just admit it, there's NEVER been any sites shut down due to this mysterious political/social force, and there's never been threats to AR15.com because of what's posted here. This is all BS to support current policy. If there is no desire to change the policy, fine. But don't make stuff up to sound all international mysterious.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Posted by Goatboy:
As for the PCness of the site, it's simple and I've explained this several times. There are certain things which will get a place shut down and with all the AWB anger from liberals,

I've never seen a site get shut down. Can you name a couple?

Sort of related, I thought this might be relavent: I run a web hosting company.  One of our customers posted a picture of an underage girl on his site (actually, it was a picture posting site, and one of *his* users uploaded the picture).  Long story about who/what/where/how etc but the police contacted our bandwidth provider who then blocked all traffic to that IP address.  So in effect the site was "shut down", and since it was a shared IP it brought down a few hundred other sites too.  Unless you're a very big player there is always someone else upstream from you.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top