BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2004 6:03:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
This Dan Rather guy is really starting to lose it. He will be gone in two months, is my guess.. fullclip
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll be damned. Why do I have a feeling lots of people in high places may be implicated in this before all is said and done?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
They've honestly gotten so arrogant that they just make the shit up out of whole cloth these days.

Be good to see a few old media shitbirds go down in flames.

Chalk another one up for net media. (and the truth) WTG Drudge!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Documented  er  (tagged)
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Another level of shame may become of this similar to that of Watergate.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Freepers are calling on Abilene area members to go to all the Kinkos in Abilene to keep Dems from getting there and destroying evidence, etc...This could get interesting!

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1217338/posts
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#13]
What could be some of the Abilene, TX connections? Who are the undesirables there that could be involved?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#15]
They need to fry these fukers in public!! I am not supprised at all!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#16]
The liberals never cease to amaze me!  NOTHING is out of bounds when it comes to winning back power.

What a disgusting bunch of losers...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Freepers are calling on Abilene area members to go to all the Kinkos in Abilene to keep Dems from getting there and destroying evidence, etc...This could get interesting!

Free Republic has pulled that thread.  Don't give a reason...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Where do the leaders of the "Texans for snapper heads" or whatever tha group of hacks is called, live?

Texans for Truth
P.O. Box 201958
Austin TX 78720-1958

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Okay maybe I'm slower than normal tonight, but is this supposed to be an allegation that Rather was actively involved in the creation and publication of these documents beyond being a dupe? That seems like a stretch.

Oh would the fabrication of these documents be a crime? They were supposed fake government documents.

Don't know if this is true,but I've heard the mere release of these documents(if real)would be illegal in and of itself.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#21]
John Frickin' Skerry: "I faxed those records, before I decided not to..."
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Free Republic has pulled that thread.  Don't give a reason...

yes it does, reason given is NO THANKS

What??

Why SHOULDNT freepers in Abilene get down to Kinkos and mill about and look out for undesirable Kerry operatives?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#24]

This from the people who accuse Bush of doctoring the intellegence on Iraq!

I can't believe these people want to run the country!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Is that "okay" a hyperlink to this page?

Why YES I believe it is!  WTF?!?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#27]

GWBush is from Texas.
Karl Rove lived in Texas.
Lt. Col. Jerry Killian's family is in Texas.
Texas Air National Guard is in... Texas.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
GWBush is from Texas.

Texans for Truth is in... Texas
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#29]
kmclive.com/

To Abilene we go and find the documents

~10:41pm~ EST
JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH ABILENE KINKOS: Bill Burkett has a standing account with the Kinkos in Abilene Texas, and while the lady who answered the phone would not be more specific she did say Burkett was in there last week - she waited on him on last (a week ago) Tuesday....

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#30]
BUSTED!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
GWBush is from Texas.

And the billing records for the production of those memos is in Texas.

Bet it cost something like $12.00 to sucker CBS.

We should start a pool. (I want 12 bucks! )
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#33]
The full article is up Kinkos article

CBS Guard Documents Traced to Tex. Kinko's
Records Reportedly Faxed From Abilene

By Michael Dobbs
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 16, 2004; Page A06

Documents allegedly written by a deceased officer that raised questions about President Bush's service with the Texas Air National Guard bore markings showing they had been faxed to CBS News from a Kinko's copy shop in Abilene, Tex., according to another former Guard officer who was shown the records by the network.

The markings provide one piece of evidence suggesting a source for the documents, whose authenticity has been hotly disputed since CBS aired them in a "60 Minutes" broadcast Sept. 8. The network has declined to name the person who provided them, saying the source was confidential, or to explain how the documents came to light after more than three decades.

There is only one Kinko's in Abilene, and it is 21 miles from the Baird, Tex., home of retired Texas National Guard officer Bill Burkett, who has been named by several news outlets as a possible source for the documents.

Robert Strong, who was one of three people interviewed by "60 minutes," said he was shown copies of the documents by CBS anchor Dan Rather and producer Mary Mapes on Sept. 5, three days before the broadcast. He said at least one of the documents bore a faxed header indicating it had been sent from a Kinko's in Abilene.

Strong's comments came as CBS News President Andrew Heyward in an interview acknowledged that there were "unresolved issues" that the network wanted "to get to the bottom of." Since the broadcast, critics have pointed to a host of unexplained problems about the memos, which bore dates from 1972 and 1973, including signs that they had been written on a computer rather than a Vietnam-era typewriter.

"I feel that we did a tremendous amount of reporting before the story went on the air or we wouldn't have put it on the air," Heyward said in an interview last night, while acknowledging "a ferocious debate about these documents."

Asked what role Burkett may have played in CBS's reporting of the report, Heyward said: "I'm not going to get into any discussion of who the sources are."

Burkett, who has accused Bush aides of ordering the destruction of some portions of the president's National Guard record because they might have been politically embarrassing, did not return telephone calls to his home. His lawyer, David Van Os, issued a statement on Burkett's behalf saying he "no longer trusts any possible outcome of speaking to the press on any issue regarding George W. Bush and does not choose to dignify recent spurious attacks upon his character with any comment."

In news interviews earlier this year, Burkett said he overheard a telephone conversation in the spring of 1997 in which top Bush aides asked the head of the Texas National Guard to sanitize Bush's files as he was running for a second term as governor of Texas. Several days later, he said, he saw dozens of pages from Bush's military file dumped in a trash can at Camp Mabry, the Guard's headquarters.

The Bush aides Burkett named as participants in the telephone conversation were Chief of Staff Joe M. Allbaugh and spokespersons Karen Hughes and Dan Bartlett. All three Bush aides and former Texas National Guard Maj. Gen. Daniel James have strongly denied the allegations.

Suspicions that Burkett could have been a source for the CBS documents first surfaced earlier this week when Newsweek magazine reported that Mapes flew to Texas to interview him over the summer. Yesterday, the New York Times reported that a CBS staffer, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed that Burkett was a source for the "60 Minutes" report but "did not know the exact role he played."

Yesterday reporters from several news organizations were camped near Blair, Tex., outside Burkett's home, which is on a working ranch, with a gate barring access to a one-story farmhouse and a pickup truck outside. At 6 p.m. Central Time, Burkett walked to the gate on his cane with a black dog by his side to collect his mail. He refused to answer questions over whether he provided the documents to CBS.

"Get out my way," he told the reporters. "You need to go home."

Earlier this year, Burkett gave interviews to numerous news outlets, including The Washington Post, alleging corruption and malfeasance at the top of the Texas National Guard, many of which have never been substantiated. He has also been a named source for several reports by USA Today, which reported Monday that it had independently obtained copies of the disputed memos soon after the broadcast.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#36]
This gets better every day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Drudge has a link now that Rather now has doubts!!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24633-2004Sep15.html
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't know how they do it in the National Guard, but on active duty they'll shitcan everything you leave behind when you transfer. Less paperwork involved.

Sounds like someone got caught with their crank in the fax machine....

In news interviews earlier this year, Burkett said he overheard a telephone conversation in the spring of 1997 in which top Bush aides asked the head of the Texas National Guard to sanitize Bush's files as he was running for a second term as governor of Texas. Several days later, he said, he saw dozens of pages from Bush's military file dumped in a trash can at Camp Mabry, the Guard's headquarters.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#40]
kmclive.com/

~10:58pm~ EST
CONCERNING BURKETT: How about an immediate search warrant for the original documents in his Baird Texas home? It seems to me that this looks almost too good to be true - but the real break was the Washington Post reporting that the copies came from Kinkos.

Get on it!  Quick!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn, this Burkett dude isn't who I was hoping the source would be. I wanted it to be the DNC or at least someone from the Kerry campaign. He's too much of a nobody. But at least the documents have pretty much been proven a forgery, so that should be enough to discredit any of his other claims.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The full article is up Kinkos article

CBS Guard Documents Traced to Tex. Kinko's
Records Reportedly Faxed From Abilene

By Michael Dobbs
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 16, 2004; Page A06

-snip-
-snip-

Bullshit.
If they were going to 'sanatize' the records, they would have BURNED or SHREDDED the documents, not thrown then in a friggin trashcan where any ol' shmoe could see them.

Wonder what the bad blood with Burkett is all about, or if he is being paid off by the Kerry Kamp?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Rather's on CBS's 60 Minutes as I write this, talking to the old secretary of Killian who says the memos are fake the words are true.  

Rather is talking like it's something that has nothing to do with him personally....a "tard" he is.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
kmclive.com/

~10:58pm~ EST
CONCERNING BURKETT: How about an immediate search warrant for the original documents in his Baird Texas home? It seems to me that this looks almost too good to be true - but the real break was the Washington Post reporting that the copies came from Kinkos.

Get on it!  Quick!

A search warrant?  On what grounds?  Its not a crime to lie to the media.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I was on the phon ethis evening and I caught a portion of Hannity's interview with Killian's son this evening.  I wasn't paying a great deal of attention, but I thought I heard the son say the old hag was not his dad's secretary!

Did anyone else see that interview?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Perhaps someone should scan the hard drives of the computers at that Kinkos...might find something resembling a TANG document...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#49]
And if he heard an incriminating conversation, then saw actual proof that it took place, why didn't he grab the trashed docs?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Isn't there SOME WAY they can interpret some law to get the FBI in on it so they can search Burkett's home?

I'm sure he's already cleaned house, though :/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top