Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/10/2004 2:15:51 PM EDT
I've always been interested in popular myths that become "common knowledge" in the gun culture.

For instance, many years ago, someone noticed that when a high velocity bullet hit a small limb on a tree, it was deflected and often missed the game animal completely.

Then someone theorized, "I bet big, slow moving slugs like a .45-70 or a .444 Marlin would just plow-through bushes and not be deflected."

Gun magazines started calling these big rounds "Brush-busters" and touted them for hunting in thick brush.

Then, some time later, some wize guy thought, "I wonder if this "fact" is true?"  He then drilled some holes in some boards and placed a couple rows of 1/2 inch wooden dowels in them, placed a target 10 feet behind the dowels, and fired both fast, light bullets, and the slow, heavy "brush-busters".

Guess what?  Both were equally deflected.  Turns out that the accepted "fact" about the heavy bullets was wrong.  It took only a simple experiment to determine that it was an error.

My question:  What other "commonly believed facts" regarding firearms are proven to be wrong?

(And I bet we see someone arguing that it is a fact!!.)
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
What about .22 bounching around in you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
All my Glocks go right through the metal detectors.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#3]
the AWB banned automatics.

i'd like for every anti to test that one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#5]
My favorite is the shotgun blast that knocks the guy back 15 feet (or through sheetrock) in the movies.  People have asked me about that old gem numerous times.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've always been interested in popular myths that become "common knowledge" in the gun culture.

For instance, many years ago, someone noticed that when a high velocity bullet hit a small limb on a tree, it was deflected and often missed the game animal Vietcong completely.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Any gun can be converted to full auto in 10 seconds with a rubberband and a paper clip
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted: "My favorite is the shotgun blast that knocks the guy back 15 feet (or through sheetrock) in the movies. People have asked me about that old gem numerous times.

Right!!!!  My pet peeve!  Knock down power.   Movies are like the News Media,  they exaggerate  the facts to dramatize what they want to.  

The shotgun with that kind of power would have also thrown the shooter through the opposite wall.

Physis; Force: every action has an opposite and equal reaction.  Or something like that.................I really didn't pay attention in class because there was this chick sitting across from me who..........
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#9]
All you have to do is fiddle with the trigger on an AR and you will have an M16
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My favorite is the shotgun blast that knocks the guy back 15 feet (or through sheetrock) in the movies.  People have asked me about that old gem numerous times.

Unfortunitly, you would be surprised at how many AR15.com members believe that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Guns are a GOOD investment.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A .50 BMG can take down satellites.

Your comment reminds me that after the original argument about "brush buster" rounds, some guy thought "I bet a .50 BMG wouldn't be delected by no brush."

So, some barnyard ballistican set up some dowels and shot through them with a .50 BMG.

Sure enough, it's trajectory was deflected, just like everything else.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#14]
If you hit a 185lb man in the movies with a shotgun; he goes flying back 15ft.  If you hit a 185lb deer with a shotgun he/she runs away and dies.  Maybe If actors had four legs?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#16]
If it says O  L  Y  That means  DON'T BUY
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Ice Cream trucks will make AWs readily available to children.  

--->You can bury an AK in the mud, come back a month later, and it will fire flawlessly.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I own Olys, hint the screen name. They work very well have never had any problem,
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Some guys at work think that a .410 shotgun shooting slugs, is the same as a rifle for long range shooting. They want to buy the Win. 9410 best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Some guys at work think that a .410 shotgun shooting slugs, is the same as a rifle for long range shooting. They want to buy the Win. 9410 best of both worlds.

www.remington.com/NR/exeres/000015acwzzhyysbkseubkkp/RemArms+Product+Group.asp?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fammo%2fballistics%2fshotshell%2fslugs%2ehtm&NRNODEGUID=%7b993D3E2D-A169-41B9-BDE6-6831471E3700%7d&NRQUERYTERMINATOR=1&cookie%5Ftest=1
By about 100 yard your better off throwing rocks
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#21]
You can make any gun full auto by "filing the  sear and/or firing pin"
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#22]
M16's are so deadly because the bullet tumbles through the air.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
M16's are so deadly because the bullet tumbles through the air.

Well you beat brouhaha.

I figured he'ed be here with that old gem.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#24]
"Any gun can be converted to full auto in 10 seconds with a rubberband and a paper clip"

"All you have to do is fiddle with the trigger on an AR and you will have an M16"

"You can make any gun full auto by "filing the sear and/or firing pin""

Dummies!  Everybody knows that army guys are taught how to convert guns to full auto... they just change the trigger housing.  They said it in the newspaper.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What about .22 bounching around in you.

They do... ...I think.

Thats why their the caliber of choice for assaisins, quited and turn your brain to mush.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#26]
When I was young, our firearms instructor told the class that you shouldn't shoot
trees with a rifle becouse......

The bullet goes into the tree and follows a growth ring in the tree and the bullet
comes out the entry hole right back at you.  

I don't know if he was having fun with us, but at 12 years old I believed him.

GM
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I don't know if he was having fun with us, but at 12 years old I believed him.

GM

At least he stopped you from shooting up his trees.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#28]
How about the old 'Cop Killer' myth……

"Just dip your bullets in Teflon Grease and they will go through a bulet proof vest like a knife through butter…"

I love that one.

Andy
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#29]
My friend told me today at school, "With the 5.56 round, you can shoot someone in the foot and the bullet will come out of their neck cause it is made to bounce around in your body!!" Ok, so the 5.56 round does tumble, not that much though.

The best myth is that the AWB actually worked...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#30]
How about bullets "rise" when the leave the muzzle
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#31]
"A 230-grain .45 ACP projectile will knock a man off his feet."
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I was asked the other day...
"Can you shoot someone 2.5 miles away with a sniper weapon?"

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Answer:  "Sure.  But it's going to take a lot of luck."
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#34]
One myth that the busted on that show "Mythbusters" was that if you shoot out the window of a pressurized airplane cabin either a person could be sucked out of the small hole created or that the hull would rupture or both.  In fact all that happened was that a small hole was created.  II believe they were using one of the guys' sig 9mm pistol.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
My friend told me today at school, "With the 5.56 round, you can shoot someone in the foot and the bullet will come out of their neck cause it is made to bounce around in your body!!" Ok, so the 5.56 round does tumble, not that much though.

The best myth is that the AWB actually worked...

Yeah the old saying with the .22, thats what makes it deadly it some who bounces around inside of you. But with that type of force you would think it would simply go through the bone or back out the skin. Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Also on "myth busters" shooting at gas tanks of cars will not cause a big explosion.  They shot it with .308 and .223s... just made clean holes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
How about the old 'Cop Killer' myth……

"Just dip your bullets in Teflon Grease and they will go through a bulet proof vest like a knife through butter…"

I love that one.

Andy

I was watching cops one time and they showed a guy with a dc-9.
The cop showed these teflon coated bullets and explained they are cop killers. Too bad they where made to go through windows and so on and would be less likely to go through a jacket then a hollow point. Being they where made for friction. so good look at the hot knife through butter concept
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Answer:  "Sure.  But it's going to take an act of God."

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It took me over an hours worth of explaining and about 30 drawings to convince an E9 that this was not true.  I still dont think he believed me.  He was right and I was wrong because "I think I learned more about bullets after being in the army for 23 years than you did after being in college for three."

Drew
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
One myth that the busted on that show "Mythbusters" was that if you shoot out the window of a pressurized airplane cabin either a person could be sucked out of the small hole created or that the hull would rupture or both.  In fact all that happened was that a small hole was created.  II believe they were using one of the guys' sig 9mm pistol.

That people believe this myth always amazes me! Planes have been getting shot full of holes since WWII and the Pilots and crew don't get 'sucked out'…

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It took me over an hours worth of explaining and about 30 drawings to convince an E9 that this was not true.  I still dont think he believed me.  He was right and I was wrong because "I think I learned more about bullets after being in the army for 23 years than you did after being in college for three."

Drew

We once had about a 10 page thread about this issue.

The guys that were wrong left still believing that they were right.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Guns kill people.

AB
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That people believe this myth always amazes me! Planes have been getting shot full of holes since WWII and the Pilots and crew don't get 'sucked out'…

ANdy

Yeah.  but it happened to Goldfinger, so it must be true.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

most planes during WWII weren't pressurized, but I get the point
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I grew up hearing the myth that in Vietnam "they could fire our ammo, in their guns, but we couldn't fire theirs"......I heard this repeated about a year ago at the public range I go t.  I asked the dumbass that parroted it what ammo we had that they could use, and he couldn't tell me.  All I can figure is this myth started with the .308 being 7.62 like the AK is a 7.62.....
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#46]
A .223 with ball ammo will not kill a deer. It will zip right through.

You should see the damage resulting from that bullet zipping through at 3000 fps. Both lungs mush, the heart turned into pulp.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Any gun can be converted to full auto in 10 seconds with a rubberband and a paper clip

Really? Do you have a link?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I grew up hearing the myth that in Vietnam "they could fire our ammo, in their guns, but we couldn't fire theirs"......I heard this repeated about a year ago at the public range I go t.  I asked the dumbass that parroted it what ammo we had that they could use, and he couldn't tell me.  All I can figure is this myth started with the .308 being 7.62 like the AK is a 7.62.....

I was actually told this in Basic Training at Fort Polk in 1970, by an instructor at the rifle range.  Even then, I knew it was wrong, but decided to just keep it to myself and not to tell the Drill Sergeant that he was wrong.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

There was a discussion about this in another forum. A Nagant in 7.62x54R can fire 7.62x51 NATO with at least some degree of success. My friend actually did this, and hit a bulls-eye! He didn't even realize he fired a 308 in his Nagant until he tried to extract it, and the case came out dinged up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

117 posts and you are already an expert? Unless you own a Military Colt rifle, you're barking at the moon. Oly's problem is not their weapons(OK, except the cast plinkers). There is some bad blood around these parts.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top