Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
"You can't hunt deer with an AK-47. If you shoot a deer with an AK-47, the deer will just blow-up!"

oh yeah, and Le Mas bullets too
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I grew up hearing the myth that in Vietnam "they could fire our ammo, in their guns, but we couldn't fire theirs"......I heard this repeated about a year ago at the public range I go t.  I asked the dumbass that parroted it what ammo we had that they could use, and he couldn't tell me.  All I can figure is this myth started with the .308 being 7.62 like the AK is a 7.62.....

the Viet Cong could use our US 60mm morter rds in their morter tubes but the Chi-Com 60mm morter  rds could not be used in a US 60mm morter tube, because the Chinese 60mm morter rds had some extra wire wrapped around the fins that prevented the rds from fitting in a US 60mm morter tube, this one isnt a myth
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If it says O  L  Y  That means  DON'T BUY

117 posts and you are already an expert? Unless you own a Military Colt rifle, you're barking at the moon. Oly's problem is not their weapons(OK, except the cast plinkers). There is some bad blood around these parts.

Oh yeah, they have admited to problems espically in the past. But since doing all there own casting etc and tooling quality has gone way up.

And they just brough out a new high quality plinker. Also there lifetime warranty isn't if you break it we will replace it. But if anything screws up due to us we will replace it.
And 80'000rnd barrels guaranteed thats pretty sweet.

Also they are willing to play with things and come up with new ideas. OA-93 is my fav. The 9mm carbine. The 7.62x39mm
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Guns are a GOOD investment.  hr

SCORE!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#5]
In the book "Blow" (same one they made the movie about), the author, this former coke dealer talks about how he and other criminal bad dudes selected the .357 magnum because it was legendary at being able to go "right through the engine block" of the car the OTHER bad guy's hiding behind...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've always been interested in popular myths that become "common knowledge" in the gun culture.

For instance, many years ago, someone noticed that when a high velocity bullet hit a small limb on a tree, it was deflected and often missed the game animal completely.

Then someone theorized, "I bet big, slow moving slugs like a .45-70 or a .444 Marlin would just plow-through bushes and not be deflected."

Gun magazines started calling these big rounds "Brush-busters" and touted them for hunting in thick brush.

Then, some time later, some wize guy thought, "I wonder if this "fact" is true?"  He then drilled some holes in some boards and placed a couple rows of 1/2 inch wooden dowels in them, placed a target 10 feet behind the dowels, and fired both fast, light bullets, and the slow, heavy "brush-busters".

Guess what?  Both were equally deflected.  Turns out that the accepted "fact" about the heavy bullets was wrong.  It took only a simple experiment to determine that it was an error.

My question:  What other "commonly believed facts" regarding firearms are proven to be wrong?

(And I bet we see someone arguing that it is a fact!!.)

I saw that, it was determined that the spinning of the bullet made it de-stabilize through brush. Ideal brush buster is a non-rifled slug!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]
More thrusts per squeeze.......
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#8]
No mag springs yet?  

"You should rotate your mags every once in a while to let the springs have a rest."
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Remember those 38 special bullets that Would BLOW UP when they hit someone. I remember when they OUTLAWED them!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am pretty true that if you put a pistol grip and flash hider on a 10/22 it can take down airplanes.

I've got one like that    Shhhhhhhh
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Also on "myth busters" shooting at gas tanks of cars will not cause a big explosion.  They shot it with .308 and .223s... just made clean holes.

Now you are just taking all the fun out of life...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If it says O  L  Y  That means  DON'T BUY

Umm, yeah... the only remaining manufacturer of .45 ACP uppers.  And you say that.  I did kinda get the feeling that this guy was just pointing out another myth though.

Quoted:
I was asked the other day...
"Can you shoot someone 2.5 miles away with a sniper weapon?"

I never seen a mortar tube with a scope on it.

These are a pretty good read actually, I especially liked the one about a bullet following tree growth rings.  Pretty good way to keep a bunch a kids from scarring your trees up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted: 117 posts and you are already an expert?

How about "High post counts make you smarter than people with low post counts." ?  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#17]
The only rifle in 45acp  is a Thompson PERIOD
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Silencers Go Poooof and a magazine is the same thing as a clip.

Jerad
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#19]

The olympic comment was a myth!  I'm sorry to All THE OLYMPIC OWNERS ON THE BOARD
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I can not believe this was not said.  Glocks can go through an airport metal detector because they are made of plastic.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Guns are completely banned in Australia
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Guns are completely banned in Australia

What they aren't?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:25:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Guns are Banned in England…

(No their NOT… I have a Marlin 1894, an AR15A2 and now looking at a Saiga 12K (AK47) semi Auto 8 shell Shotgun… woohoo!

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:36:22 AM EDT
[#24]
alot of good ones here. Some I had never heard before. The cop killer one is always good. The thing is as most of you obviously know is that any bullet can be a cop killer. One of my favorites is shooting water will cause the bullet to turn around and come back at you. I guess that is why they made "Boattails" huh? Take care.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:54:22 AM EDT
[#25]
guns are the root/cause/lead to all crime.

Just ask thoughs across the pond I tell them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Guns sometimes just "go off".
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
No mag springs yet?  

"You should rotate your mags every once in a while to let the springs have a rest."

I used to do that in the Army, until I read a very good article debunking that myth.  IIRC, the SOG guys in Vietnam, including John Plaster, would load their 20 rnd mags with only 19, believing that it wore out the springs to carry them fully loaded al the time.  Also, before a mission, they would fire off their ENTIRE basic load of rounds (something like 400) at the range, to test the function of all of their mags.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#28]
The right to CCW automatically turns your state into the "wild wild west" with shootouts at every corner.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Guns are a GOOD investment.  

Not necessarily true.

The value of my NFA weapons had almost doubled in the last 3 years.

But, all of that can change with the stroke of a pen.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also on "myth busters" shooting at gas tanks of cars will not cause a big explosion.  They shot it with .308 and .223s... just made clean holes.

Now you are just taking all the fun out of life...

I wonder what would have happened if they used tracers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The olympic comment was a myth!  I'm sorry to All THE OLYMPIC OWNERS ON THE BOARD

I found it amazing and hilarious that THAT was the only comment that some people didn't "get" was stated as a MYTH, like everything else in this thread.

Are oly owners a little defensive?  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#32]
That a suppressor will work on a revolver.

For the last 9 months, all I have heard from all the gun owners I know is "There aint no way they're gonna let that ban go away."  There's a myth for ya!!

As for the bullet rising... don't tell that to every gun dealer and hunter around here.  A common line I hear when two guys are sighting in their rifles "Man, that bullet's still on the rise... it'll be dead on at 200."
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#34]

As for the bullet rising... don't tell that to every gun dealer and hunter around here. A common line I hear when two guys are sighting in their rifles "Man, that bullet's still on the rise... it'll be dead on at 200."

Why is this so wide spread? Does anybody have a short anwser of a link that will explane this to me?
I do not want to get this thread off topic but would like some info on this bullet riseing thing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

As for the bullet rising... don't tell that to every gun dealer and hunter around here. A common line I hear when two guys are sighting in their rifles "Man, that bullet's still on the rise... it'll be dead on at 200."

Why is this so wide spread? Does anybody have a short anwser of a link that will explane this to me?
I do not want to get this thread off topic but would like some info on this bullet riseing thing.

I imagine it's because a picture showing a ballistic path - say if you are trying to explain hitting  atarget at 200 yeards - shows a curve - going "upwards" from the firearm, to the high point, and then "down" to the target at 200.  The logical implication that the rifle is pointed slightly upwards to get that curve is not emphasized, so a lot of idiots take it literally.

I'm probably being unclear - let me try to find a picture. ...

The red line is the bullet path - and I think some people look at this and interpret it to mean that bullets "rise" after being fired

or like this one:
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Myth - Allowing the AWB to expire will increase terrorism in the U.S. and jeopordize our national security.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#37]

I imagine it's because a picture showing a ballistic path - say if you are trying to explain hitting atarget at 200 yeards - shows a curve - going "upwards" from the firearm, to the high point, and then "down" to the target at 200. The logical implication that the rifle is pointed slightly upwards to get that curve is not emphasized, so a lot of idiots take it literally.

Thanks. I did wonder about this when I saw the picture. Rifle pointed upwards sure makes it clear to me. Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Here the biggest one I found: Ar-15's are better and more reliable then the Ak-47!
What a whopper of a lie!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#39]
.45’s are better than 9MM’s.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#40]
AK47's are bullet hoses, you cant hit anything with an AK47, there a piece of communist crap!

Chinese guns are JUNK GUNS! commie crap!

HI POINT 995 carbines are state of the arts!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#41]
"Assault Weapons are the weapon of choice for Terrorists"
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#42]
My favorite myth, Guns kill people.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#43]
"Handguns are safer to use in a home because they don't penetrate as much as an AR-15."
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
"Handguns are safer to use in a home because they don't penetrate as much as an AR-15."

Ha ha - you're never going to kill that myth!  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Psychopath shooting a rifle at ordinary innocent people out of the trunk of an old Chevy = "sniper". This will continue to piss me off forever.

Flash suppressor = "silencer".

3 or 4 guns = "arsenal."

Man with 9mm pistol and 100 rounds of ammo = "heavily armed."

Gun dealers make huge profits on every sale.

Mattel made M16s.

Islam is the Religion of Peace. (Not really a gun myth, but a popular one nonetheless.)

Gun manufacturers market their weapons to criminals and children.

The Hollywood portrayal of gun usage is accurate.

Only Hollywood celebrities deserve to be protected by concealed weapons.

ARFcommers don't like pie.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Yep has been tested, the .223 stops pretty quick once it hits drywall, hell its a varmit round.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Gun dealers make huge profits on every sale.

that was a good one................
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep has been tested, the .223 stops pretty quick once it hits drywall, hell its a varmit round.

You better believe it's been tested......by me!  But it ain't no varmit round;  it is a very good man-stopper.  And that's no myth.

(See DK-Prof, I can win converts.)
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

(See DK-Prof, I can win converts.)

Keep up the good work
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
"Any gun can be converted to full auto in 10 seconds with a rubberband and a paper clip"

"All you have to do is fiddle with the trigger on an AR and you will have an M16"

"You can make any gun full auto by "filing the sear and/or firing pin""

Dummies!  Everybody knows that army guys are taught how to convert guns to full auto... they just change the trigger housing.  They said it in the newspaper.

In an AR15 it requires drilling a 3rd hole in the receiver for the sear.

Or... you can just make a lightning link for next to nothing. Either way, its your hide.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top