Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2004 2:04:00 PM EDT
I know it's AR15.com, but I registered at Glocktalk and they still haven't sent me my super secret password so I can't post.
 Anyway, I have recently been given a Glock 27. I shot it and I like it but it's too small for my tastes. I decided I might like a Glock 19.
 Now I start hearing all this stuff about can't shoot lead, can't shoot reloads, the new 19's have some kind of new barrel geometry that is causing feeding problems.
 What's the deal? How can it make any difference if you shoot lead? I don't like commercial relaods, but I've been loading 20 years and think I can load spec rounds OK. The barrel thing seems to be a point of controversy.
 I am not picky about carry guns and currently carry a Smith and Wesson 3953. I have carried a lot of other guns over the years and really don't care what gun I have as long as it feeds, extracts, and ejects. The main things I want in a carry gun is light weight and a sloppy chamber.
 What is the deal with Glock? Is the stuff they are talking about chairborne commando BS? I know instruction manuals now pretty much say "Never load your gun or shoot your gun and for God's sakes never carry your gun loaded. It's just too risky". Lawyer CYA BS.
 No lead? No relaods? WTF?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTK!

(in before the kaboom!)
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
foul spawn of satan plastic crap i tells ya!!!

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya either love em or hate em.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
More glocks in professionals hands than any other, so they must be good!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Due to the type of rifling, you can't shoot lead bullets.  Copper cased lead is just fine.  Pure lead fouls the rifling.

If you want to shoot lead, buy a replacement barrel with regular rifling

Reloads are fine, but like any gun they can void the warranty.

The .40 s&w has a problem with not support the casing fully and some glocks go kaboom.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#6]
something about the shape of the rifling makes lead build up really bad from unjacketed ammo. then that causes a pressure increase, and the bottom of the chamber is an oval instead of circle so part of the case isn't covered and might blow out if the pressure gets too high
third party barrels with normal rifling can be used if shooting unjacketd ammo is necessary
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#7]
1. Friends don't let friends buy Glocks.

2. Glock supports ballistic fingerprinting and have been involved in programs with the Feds to do just that.

3. Glock doesn't really give a shit about "civilians".  They make their money from the LEO's and FED's, anything else is just a bit of gravy.

4. GlockTalk started going to hell over a year ago with massive amounts of PC bullshit.  I bailed and a lot of longtime members have as well.  Check glocksunlocked.com if you want a less "let's pretend" type of discussion forum.

Oh, and IBTL!

Opinionated bastard, aren't I?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
My G-19 has been with me for 9 years and I have put lot's and lot"s buleets thru it , no problems for me and I don't expect any problems for the next 9 years.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my G19.

147gr jhp, from any reputable vendor is a damn fine carry load, NIJ likes Federal.

The smaller .40's have a tendency to fail.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Very reliable
Combat accurate
Long trigger travel
Same trigger pull everytime
Higher capacity (one or two more rounds compared to other modern designs)
Relatively thicker (slightly)
Low bore axis
Grip angle (individual thing)
No lead bullets (polygonal rifling)
Very rust-resistant tennifer finish

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

3. Glock doesn't really give a shit about "civilians".  They make their money from the LEO's and FED's, anything else is just a bit of gravy.

Do you have something to back that up or are you just pulling shit out of your ass??
I have a Glock 26, not a Glock bootlicker, and have had real good luck both with their customer service and reliability of of their guns.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I only own five of them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you shoot lead bullets in a glock?

YES, you just have to clean the lead out otherwise due to the polygonal bore it will foul resulting in increased pressure.  If its bad enough, you'll blow it up.

Can you shoot reloads?

YES,  However, in 40 S&W, most factory chambers are not fully supported.  Since a reloaded case is not entirely resized (you cant get it all in the die) and 40 is a high pressure round, eventually it will fatique to the point of failure and KABOOM.  Even those the shoot fully supported chambered 40's tend to reload brass no more than 5 times.  Remember this is more a 40S&W and chamber issue than a Glock specific issue.  With lower pressure rounds - 45acp, 9mm this is much less an issue.   I have reloaded 9mm cases well over 10 times and have never had a problem.  

Occasionally, I'll notice a split case (at the neck) then I trash that lot (I reload and store pistol ammo in lots of 1K).  My glock 34 have over 80K thru it...  The 2 glock slides I have seen cracked were with factory ammo.

Hope that helps....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I like em, cheap reliable not alot of crap out there to mount on them

but I don't think they are the best for carry they .45 is really wide so I am just going to stick with the 1911.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I have never had a problem with a Glock.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 17 and a 27.

I have shot the living shit out fo the 17 and have used reloads mostly through it.

The 27 is a great little gun and fits right in a fannypack nicely.

I like em. Not my first choice, but they aight.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#17]
My G19 ran thousands of rounds just fine. That said, I carry a 1911 now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't like Glocks. Never shot one, so I shouldn't even chime in. I held it in my hand, and didn't like it. I prefer out of the Poly pistols a Springfield XD. It rides in the hand nice (1911 style grip). However I prefer trusty Smith wheelguns the most.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My G19 ran thousands of rounds just fine. That said, I carry a 1911 now.

Every now and then I get the urge to switch over to a  Lightweight Commander.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#20]
IMO, the G19 is the most perfect CCW available. It is also extremely popular with private security, plain clothes officers, and executive protection teams. There is no handgun I would rather have than my 2nd Gen. GLOCK 19. I have carried it almost every day for over five years and put over 22,000 round through it with ZERO malfunctions.

The G19 is compact enough for concealment, yet just big enough to allow great shootability. It is also light and perfectly balanced with a loaded mag. It has no rough edges or pointy things so it is very comfortable to carry and doesn't snag on clothes. The GLOCK is easy to operate with no safety levers to operate before firing. This, along with a short, consistant trigger pull with fast reset makes the GLOCK intuitive to operate. It also points naturally for most people.

The G19 in paticular, offers more firepower per size than any other pistol, with the standard 15 round mags. Factory mags holding, 17, 19, 31, and 33 rounds are also available.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Just say no to drugs Glocks!

Hk will show you the way!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Never had a problem with mine. G30 compact .45, only shoot jacketed factory ammo in mine.

BUT I have seen LOTS of photos of KABOOMS!

I think that most of them were .40s. I do recall at least one .45 kaboom. I think that a common denominator in most if not all of the kabooms is handloadings and /or lead bullets.

I like mine a lot. But I still prefer the 1911.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#23]
"Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering KABOOM....."
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
"Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering KABOOM....."

Glocks Rock.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#25]
The Glock boxes are great for holding popcorn.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#26]
How to disassemble a Glock.

Step 1:  Pull the trigger.

I stopped after that....

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Glock are fun to paint...and chicks think they are cool!

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I've shot 1000's of hardcast thru my G17: Never a problem.

124 RNL
W231 powder

Works great!

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Why someone would buy such a POS is still a mystery.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
IMO, the G19 is the most perfect CCW available. It is also extremely popular with private security, plain clothes officers, and executive protection teams. There is no handgun I would rather have than my 2nd Gen. GLOCK 19. I have carried it almost every day for over five years and put over 22,000 round through it with ZERO malfunctions.

The G19 is compact enough for concealment, yet just big enough to allow great shootability. It is also light and perfectly balanced with a loaded mag. It has no rough edges or pointy things so it is very comfortable to carry and doesn't snag on clothes. The GLOCK is easy to operate with no safety levers to operate before firing. This, along with a short, consistant trigger pull with fast reset makes the GLOCK intuitive to operate. It also points naturally for most people.

The G19 in paticular, offers more firepower per size than any other pistol, with the standard 15 round mags. Factory mags holding, 17, 19, 31, and 33 rounds are also available.

I find they tend to want to point in the air. I think you have to learn to point at the target's feet to become fast with a Glock.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#31]

I find they tend to want to point in the air. I think you have to learn to point at the target's feet to become fast with a Glock.

I agree, but you can get use to it
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Professional what ?

Glocks get a lot of police contracts because they are the lowest bidder on the contracts.
Always follow the money.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Anyway, I have recently been given a Glock 27.

Now I start hearing all this stuff about can't shoot lead, can't shoot reloads,  

I have had a G27 for years now.  I love it.  I also have a G30.  Both are great shooters.
I have been shooting West Coast Plated Bullets for years.  They are a Copper Plated bullet
that has a lead core.  The same cost as lead but not the mess.   Be careful about shooting lead with the standard barrel from a Glock.  The way the rifleing is made makes for faster lead buildup.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#34]
glocks kick ass!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a kimber .45 and just purchased a Glock 30 in .45 cal.  I have had glocks before but the G30 is by far my favorate.  Its is extremely accurate and easy to shoot.  It is probably more accurate than my full size kimber.  Its a bit fat but i prefer the .45 cal and the .40 and the 9mm is only 1/10 of an inch narrower.  And with the mags going way way down in price its a perfect time to get a glock.  Now i love my kimber but the glock is also a great gun.  The Glock is a TOOL where as alot of 1911's are great guns.

My kimber has never failed me in 1500 rounds, but if i had to only carry one it would be my Glock.  I can carry G21 mags as spares and they hold 13 rounds each.  so instead of carrying 22 rounds with your standard 1911 you can carry 37 rounds with the Glock 30.

I did just buy 2 new Milt Sparks VMII holsters for them both and man they are top notch.

If i am not mistaken the 40 cal glock is built on the 9mm frame.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Why someone would buy such a POS is still a mystery.

Sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
  Now I start hearing all this stuff about can't shoot lead, can't shoot reloads, the new 19's have some kind of new barrel geometry that is causing feeding problem

I have a 19 myself, and there is a feeding problem with some 3rd gen 19's, a problem that Glock knows about (as does the NYPD, for that matter).   I have a 3rd gen myself and did experience a few problems, but that was cleared up when I changed the followers in the clips.  Apparently the 2183's are not too good, but Glock will ship you new followers free of charge if you call and ask.  Solved the problem for me.  I wouldn't not get one because of that.  Reloads are fine as well, from what I have experienced.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I currently own 8 Glocks and carry G-30 daily.  I have shot thousands of lead rounds through my guns, and my brother has shot countless more through his.  What people say you should do, and what you really can do are mutually exclusive. There is fact and there is implied junk analysis that is based on no fact.  I do shoot only plated or FMJ in my 9's now, because they are easier to clean, and I can afford it.   I continue to shoot lead through my .45's.  The .357Sig is simply too hot for lead.  

I have huge hands, big feet (size 14) and my Johnson drags the ground.  The Glock 26 and 19 fit my hand fine.  

I don't only own Glocks.  I have Sigs and 1911s in the stable, so I don't get into the gun bashing troll environment.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I agree, but you can get use to it

Yeah, but why?

Glocks seemed OK doing slow fire stuff, but man did they suck when I tried them in rapid target acquisition type drills and man-on-man duels.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#40]
I have seen only 2 real kB's in my 42 years:

1>  was in 1982, my dad's Ruger Security Six .357 revolver when he was doing an annual re-qualifying with the PD and the PD was using reloads made by a shiite-head in the city garage. (Double, possible triple powder load in the case) It ruptured the cylinder, lodging the remaining 4 unfired rounds in what was left of the cylinder and turned the backstrap into a teepee. Dad took 4 stitches in the back of the web of his right hand at the local ER. If the weapon had been a SW instead of a Ruger, he may have lost his hand. (For the record, I prefer SW's to Rugers but Rugers are tougher, period.)

2>  was a security guard at Redcastle Gun Club in Skiatook with a lead cast bullet in a Glock 17. Unsupported chamber blew the mag right out of the bottom of the weapon, lacerating his supporting hand and shattered the POS frame into so many fragments that all were not recovered.

That's why I shoot my USP or my P220
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Professional what ?

Glocks get a lot of police contracts because they are the lowest bidder on the contracts.
Always follow the money.

A few years back there were lots of S&W M&P .38s being carried by the "professionals".
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#42]
This is your Glock:

This is your Glock on Kaboom:

Any Questions?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Always follow the money.

I really think the big advantage that a Glock has is the higher capacity magazines.  If the specs require a 15-round magazine, then a single stack ain't gonna make it.

That said, I own both a Glock 17 and Glock 21.  I just prefer the larger grip of the Glocks.  The 1911 clones I've shot seem to twist in my big, fat hand.  I don't think Glocks are vastly superior or even obviously superior to other pistols.  I just prefer them.  To each his own.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Professional what ?

Always follow the money.

You think anyone can underbid Ruger or even S&W.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
This is your Glock:
www.topglock.com/images/g17.jpg
This is your Glock on Kaboom:
www.thegunzone.com/glock/images/glock21-kb.jpg
Any Questions?

Yes.
What were the circumstances surrounding the kB?
Was the G21 fired with factory ammo or reloaded?
If reloaded, was the bullet lead or jacketed?
If reloaded, was the powder charge within specs?
If reloaded, was the OAL proper?
If reloaded, how many times was that particular piece of brass used?
If it was factory, was there a defect with the factory ammo(like the .40 Federal ammo several years ago)?
Was the bbl OEM or aftermarket?
If aftermarket what brand?
How many "modifications" were made to the gun by the owner?

I've seen pictures of an M1A that kBed. Doesn't mean there is something wrong with M1As. All guns can be made to kB with the proper application of stupidity.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll see your Glock 21, and I'll raise you a USP .45.
ANY GUN CAN KABOOM.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or they are cheap and lowest bidders win goverment contracts.

Glocks combust on contact with oxygen.

Don't get me wrong aug, I like hk just fine. I'm a lil more frugal than most maybe and a Glock works just fine for me and millions more. Any weapon can kaboom !

I give glock a hand for making a super reliable firearm that is less expensive than its competition.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'll see your Glock 21, and I'll raise you a USP .45.
ANY GUN CAN KABOOM.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/jrhack79/hkKB.jpg

Please provide a source and background or it doesn't mean anything.  There are multiple cases of Glocks KBing.  I've yet to hear of a HK KBing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top