User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone know where I can buy a gigantic blender?
View Quote
Harbor Freight?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#2]
FBI planning something big
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
In other news, 5000 gallons of nitromethane went missing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Terrance Yeakey was the OKC police officer
View Quote
Tks
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think covered hoppers are compartmentalized and (usually) made up of 2, 3, or 4 separate compartments. I’m only guessing but they might have meant a compartment was empty.

*I think*
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably not even a full carload.

Car load would be 4 times as much.  Roughly 4 semi loads per train car.

I think covered hoppers are compartmentalized and (usually) made up of 2, 3, or 4 separate compartments. I’m only guessing but they might have meant a compartment was empty.

*I think*

indeed!

There's a significantly non-zero chance that it was never filled.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My heaviest train was 17,000 tons. 30 tons is a rounding error. A fully loaded grain car weighs 143 tons, or more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How can you steal 30 tons of something and it go unnoticed?

My heaviest train was 17,000 tons. 30 tons is a rounding error. A fully loaded grain car weighs 143 tons, or more.

New “arithmetic” rounding error?  It’s order of magnitude.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I don’t think there is any question about it. It can only be attributable to human error. This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due to human error.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully it kept making its way to Cali.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How can you steal 30 tons of something and it go unnoticed?
View Quote

How can a RR lose track of a car?
Now if there is a tanker truck of nitromethane dragster fuel missing too, then things will get interesting
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
pretty sure there are different grades of fertilizer they all can't be used in explosives...they are safeguards in place in the makeup of fertilizer these days.
hyped up story
iirc
View Quote

It sounds like the ammonium nitrate in the story is the porous, uncoated prills as it was made by an explosives manufacturer.  This will absorb diesel fuel or nitromethane well.  The denser and/or coated prills are used as fertilizer and do not detonate well due to the coating additives.  However, it has nothing to do with making it more difficult to use as an explosive.  Ammonium nitrate is deliquescent ie. will absorb moisture from the air until it actually forms a puddle.  So the prills are coated to reduce their ability to absorb moisture for better storage life before being spread as fertilizer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Inside job.
View Quote

Or islamic terrorist cell who posed as llegal immigrants at the mexico/us border that Biden and Mayorkas claims is CLOSED and under control (LMMFAOROFL)
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It sounds like the ammonium nitrate in the story is the porous, uncoated prills as it was made by an explosives manufacturer.  This will absorb diesel fuel or nitromethane well.  The denser and/or coated prills are used as fertilizer and do not detonate well due to the coating additives.  However, it has nothing to do with making it more difficult to use as an explosive.  Ammonium nitrate is deliquescent ie. will absorb moisture from the air until it actually forms a puddle.  So the prills are coated to reduce their ability to absorb moisture for better storage life before being spread as fertilizer.
View Quote

Explosive grade AN is more porous for surface area contact with the additional liquid fuel.

Fertilizer grade can be coated (CAN-27) but most fertilizer grade AN is polished for surface durability.

Ammonia Nitrate has fuel and oxidizer on the molecule but it’s not balanced very well, hence adding a fuel to it.

Nitromethane is already a good explosive and just needs air gaps to create compression hot spots and it will propagate an explosive wave. Which is why pure nitromethane is not shipped by rail car any longer owing to an incident with someone slapping closed a valve creating a “water hammer” shock wave that ignited/detonated the rail car.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Explosive grade AN is more porous for surface area contact with the additional liquid fuel.

Fertilizer grade can be coated (CAN-27) but most fertilizer grade AN is polished for surface durability.

Ammonia Nitrate has fuel and oxidizer on the molecule but it’s not balanced very well, hence adding a fuel to it.

Nitromethane is already a good explosive and just needs air gaps to create compression hot spots and it will propagate an explosive wave. Which is why pure nitromethane is not shipped by rail car any longer owing to an incident with someone slapping closed a valve creating a “water hammer” shock wave that ignited/detonated the rail car.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best additive to sensitize nitromethane is 5% ethylene diamine, AKA Picatinny Liquid Explosive (PLX).  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLX

This has been used in, among other things, butterfly mines.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#14]
What ever came of this? did they locate it?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What ever came of this? did they locate it?
View Quote

It’s in the ballast.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Much ado over nothing.  It's shipped in hopper cars, hopper gates leak product enroute all the time.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:35:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Much ado over nothing.  It's shipped in hopper cars, hopper gates leak product enroute all the time.
View Quote

Piles of rotting grain/corn/soybeans in switch yards are my favorite.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:10:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:49:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would imagine it has more to do with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ than terror.

That's a fuck ton of money.
View Quote

Going around $800 a ton around here. I wish they would bring me a couple of tons. Good fertilizer.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:32:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Context is everything .

To a terrorist or somebody trying to defeat terrorism 30 tons of AN is a sizeable amount .

To a large scale farmer , not so much.

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#21]
You guys are crazing think it's been taken for explosives. I bet some farmer cleaned that shit out for his crops fertilizer is one of their biggest expenses now!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:49:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. These type cars are often dropped off at my work. I've watched our guys go out and unload the cars. The bottom gates on each hopper section have to be opened with a big pnuematic tool. I'm guessing it's a rack and pinion mechanism that requires a lot of torque. The material drops down a hatch that is between the rails on our siding track. Under the siding hatch is a horizontal auger. The auger pushes the material in the plant.

There is no way someone nabbed 30 tons by shovelling it into a dozen dump trucks.

I'm guessing some dipshit at the loading yard failed to close the bottom gates properly. The material was likely metered out slowly over a few hundred miles in transit. It's ammonia nitrate. It is a common ferilizer that can also double duty for bombs. If not for that latter characteristic, this might not have made the news.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top