Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You mean the ones that are used to driving in snow. Those OTR drivers. Or the ones that don't go north of I20?
View Quote

It's not snow, it's sheets of ice on the highway that's the problem. Kinda like leaving your lawn sprinklers on. It rains and freezes on the ground. Bridges and overpasses first.

It was still dry on the south side of town. FedEx won't commit to moving any freight.

Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Tomorrow is the only day when the high is 32f. Where I am at least.
Have to go to DFW Wed night. Hopefully the drama is over by then.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

• Colder weather than most of our buildings/homes are built for (we're built for hot weather).

• 1-3" of ice on the road, with enough road salt in the state, that a county or two in NJ would go through in a week.

• Californians and New Yorkers/Jersians thinking they can drive just as well here as back on their snow-covered icy roads.

• Idiot drivers aren't limited to just the I95.

• We have more overpasses than most states.

View Quote

Every. single. time.
Snow on the road is rare here. Ice (like a frozen pond ice) on all pavement and no great methods to mitigate it.
I've seen northern cities when they ice - ice, not snow. Guess what? Before salt and gravel trucks roll it's the same drama there as here.

Back to TX bashing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That’s a long ass commute. We took the boys down to Dallas this weekend for the oldest boys birthday. Glad we came home last night.

Was scheduled to go into work at 7am and made it two miles and said this ain’t worth it. They ended up closing at 10am or so.
View Quote

I should’ve taken the Excursion, I might be staying in Dallas for a   couple days. I make $10-15 more a hour in Dallas so I commute.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Every. single. time.
Snow on the road is rare here. Ice (like a frozen pond ice) on all pavement and no great methods to mitigate it.
I've seen northern cities when they ice - ice, not snow. Guess what? Before salt and gravel trucks roll it's the same drama there as here.

Back to TX bashing.
View Quote

Can't be true. All the Yankees tell me icy roads are no worse than a gravel driveway, there's never a reason to drip your faucets and they can regulate their core temperature with nothing more than a three-wolves t-shirt.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Raining and 40’s all week in Houston…

Kinda wish I had my truck instead of the low rider.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sitting in the Terminal C Admirals Club at DFW. Flight to Nashville scheduled to leave at 12:45. We will see.
View Quote

I'm flying in tomorrow, arriving around 2pm. Wondering if I'm gonna get canceled.....
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Great. My son is driving in from his hitch in the Permian Basin Wed morning. He's going to drive through Dallas and pick up his daughter who's been visiting her grandparents. I wish he'd head straight here and stay south of that mess. Oilfield trash can't drive for shit
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

People suck here, too, when we get ice or snow. I've also never seen studded tires here. We get maybe 3-5 decent snow events a winter. I would think that only happens in places that have snow cover for most of the winter or where roads don't really get plowed.

I live off a hwy and amazed at how people don't think twice about driving on snow covered roads at full speed. There are a lot of accidents and people going off the road. Drive around after a decent snow and you can see tire marks going off into the ditch

What I think makes a big difference is that TX has a fuck ton of overpasses in big cities and interstates with overpasses. Thats not really a thing here. The interstates stay at ground level as much as possible. Those elevated areas cause a lot of the issues down there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In addition to cities not being really prepared for it (though the DFW area usually gets some snow every winter), the inhabitants aren't prepared for it.  No Hakipellitas or however you spell it, no snow tires, certainly no studded snow tires or chains usually.  You're lucky if most people have within-wear guidelines M+S tires.   Moreover, there's plenty of idiots who think they can drive in snow/ice, the same way they drive in the much more often torrential downpours.  

All adds up to staying at home.  In Houston, we often don't even have sand, the once every couple years we get snow/ice.  The giant Belt and Grand Parkway onramps look like skating rinks.  No good.

EDIT:  Pretty sure I got caught in the one Findsman is talking about.  Nothing like creeping at literally 5-10 MPH on the causeway into South Dallas on 45...and still hearing your tires occasionally slip.  Some poor bastard was towing a pontoon boat behind a non-snow/ice optimized 2500.  I still remember the sounds his tires made as they parted company with traction, and he proceeded on an all-wheel straight slide towards the right end lanes...

A few things for our Southern friends to know. I've never seen studded tires once in Minnesota.  Zero. Rarely does someone have snow tires, I'd say 98% of the cars on the roads here have all season tires.  There is no such thing as Southern ice. We get ice storms here too. Probably more than you do. Black ice is not what you call black ice. Black ice is formed at intersection from idling car exhaust.  This can happen on clear cool days like today when it is -10 before wind chill. Black ice does not fall from the sky, that is just ice.

I fully understand why a winter storm causes major chaos down there. There is not the infrastructure for mass fast plowing and salting.  When it snows here we have way more plows to deal with it. But, it seems like there is basically no money spent down there at all. It is not like a snow storm is a once in a lifetime event down in the Dallas area.  It looks like snow and below freezing is an annual event. Plowing and salting a couple of the main interstates shouldn't be THAT difficult.  I can certainly see side roads and highways being a mess for days.

There is still no excuse for the absolute shit drivers from Texas though. I see them driving terrible in the summer with their flashers on during a sprinkle.

People suck here, too, when we get ice or snow. I've also never seen studded tires here. We get maybe 3-5 decent snow events a winter. I would think that only happens in places that have snow cover for most of the winter or where roads don't really get plowed.

I live off a hwy and amazed at how people don't think twice about driving on snow covered roads at full speed. There are a lot of accidents and people going off the road. Drive around after a decent snow and you can see tire marks going off into the ditch

What I think makes a big difference is that TX has a fuck ton of overpasses in big cities and interstates with overpasses. Thats not really a thing here. The interstates stay at ground level as much as possible. Those elevated areas cause a lot of the issues down there.

I've only changed planes at MSP, and haven't been to IN at all.  In MT, studded tires are an occasional sight---my mother's Subie has them, and she still won't take the car anywhere off the main highway seemingly----but there's a lot of "side roads" in W. Montana.

The overpass comment is absolutely true.  We have a bunch of them.  They freeze.  A lot.  Plus we have idiots who do things like leave their sprinkler system timers on during freezes.  Lawn gets watered at 4AM, sheet of ice on adjoining road by 4:15...

(EDIT:  I swear I didn't see joemama's exact point on this at the top of the page, when I posted.  LOL.)

People everywhere are shit at driving anymore. Do the things I learned in Drivers Ed, some 30 years ago, and people act like you're a wizard.  Having a cop dad while learning to drive, didn't hurt.  Mainly for being able to spot suspicion of DWI contestants from a ways off.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Every. single. time.

Back to TX bashing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

• Colder weather than most of our buildings/homes are built for (we're built for hot weather).

• 1-3" of ice on the road, with enough road salt in the state, that a county or two in NJ would go through in a week.

• Californians and New Yorkers/Jersians thinking they can drive just as well here as back on their snow-covered icy roads.

Every. single. time.

Back to TX bashing.

Bold truth!
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm flying in tomorrow, arriving around 2pm. Wondering if I'm gonna get canceled.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sitting in the Terminal C Admirals Club at DFW. Flight to Nashville scheduled to leave at 12:45. We will see.

Yup, my flight for tomorrow has just been canceled....  
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Doesn’t Dallas close down for 1” of snow?
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#13]
How wide are the shoulders,  and are they stone/ rock?
Trick around here is to run the right wheel path on the aggregate shoulder, if there is no frost.
Obviously this won't work with paved or curbed .
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Snow? No.

1" ice? Absolutely.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How wide are the shoulders,  and are they stone/ rock?
Trick around here is to run the right wheel path on the aggregate shoulder, if there is no frost.
Obviously this won't work with paved or curbed .
View Quote

We call that “farmer traction”
It works
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#16]
As much as I like bashing Texas, I have to admit we had slushy ice that turned to ice when night fell and it caused a lot of problems up here in the mountains in CO.

I tried to pull into the median to run traffic and slid past my pull out. Tried it twice more, going really slowly and don't make it. Thought my tires were worn because the road looked clear but then a big event let out and we had three crashes right away  

Apparently, CDOT didn't realize the roads were all black ice, either.  Hell of a mess. Thousands of people trying to get home and we had to shut the road for over an hour.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35747/high5_JPG-2691184.JPG

For everyone shit-talking Texas, imagine one of these every 2-5 miles with basically zero ice-melt/salt, maybe a thin layer of shitty play sand.  I was personally stuck here for about an hour and half around 16 years ago with the empty light on.  

ETA I did finally make it to a gas station without running out.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, when you say winter weather it’s what? Raining and 50*?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35747/high5_JPG-2691184.JPG

For everyone shit-talking Texas, imagine one of these every 2-5 miles with basically zero ice-melt/salt, maybe a thin layer of shitty play sand.  I was personally stuck here for about an hour and half around 16 years ago with the empty light on.  

ETA I did finally make it to a gas station without running out.  

yeah we got more spaghetti mixers than anyone else can imagine and they are currently frozen solid
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have fun at the airport the next 3 days
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Snow is no big deal.

Ice however… just stay home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was in Dallas one time during an ice storm. I have never seen driving like that in my life. Be safe.

Snow is no big deal.

Ice however… just stay home.

If it snows I'll be out fucking around in my FX4... ice i'll be in front of fireplace having a beer
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh you sweet child of summer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Snow? No.

1" ice? Absolutely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snow? No.

1" ice? Absolutely.

icemaggeddon dropped 4-8" of ice that was a fun time
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As much as I like bashing Texas, I have to admit we had slushy ice that turned to ice when night fell and it caused a lot of problems up here in the mountains in CO.

I tried to pull into the median to run traffic and slid past my pull out. Tried it twice more, going really slowly and don't make it. Thought my tires were worn because the road looked clear but then a big event let out and we had three crashes right away  

Apparently, CDOT didn't realize the roads were all black ice, either.  Hell of a mess. Thousands of people trying to get home and we had to shut the road for over an hour.
View Quote

I70 is a hot mess all winter.... so multiply that x6 with all our highways having significant elevated roadways for overpasses and spaghetti mixers with less plows/whatnot per capita if I had to guess
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh you sweet child of summer.
View Quote

it was 70 on saturday
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I lived in Dallas for over 14 years.  Any hint of ice or snow and the Metroplex becomes gridlocked.  I would rather face a full-on Nor’easter here in NH than 1/64” of ice in DFW.  Concrete roads, so no salt to melt the ice, and long, tall bridges that can’t salted and are too steep to safely drive on when icy.

Good luck down there!

BTW, don’t think about moving up here.  We’re expecting low temperatures in the -16F to -22F range later this week.  It’s going to be a little brisk outside.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Radar is changing, freezing rain is mostly gone. It's changing over to sleet/snow. Mostly snow.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

brother got his plow truck stuck yesterday in N WY
View All Quotes

I believe it.  It was a mess here over the weekend.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Okay I've had enough of this cold
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is a pic from when I left work. We just had a few bands of sleet pass through. Ice on the windshield of the Yukon was about 1/8 " thick.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

BTW, don’t think about moving up here.
View Quote

Well....okay, if you say so. Dadgummit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Steady freezing drizzle in the midcities. Not showing on radar.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been stuck there overnight because of fucking rain.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I drove I20 from the LA border through Dallas in a snowstorm.  Lived in El Paso when it snowed too.

It was fucking hilarious.  I probably could have walked the whole way just by stepping on cars in the ditch.  Texans are hands down the worst inclement driving group in the US.  With the loudest mouths too.  Pure comedy.

Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah earlier today when it was thunder sleeting here, checked radar; and it only showed a very faint light pink (ice) coverage moving over.  It has stopped sleeting now, but there is a good inch on the roads (in Denton).
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I’m 35 miles SW of FWT. I haven’t seen a drop of precipitation all day. They cancelled school so I’ve had my two little assholes home all day for no reason.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I drove I20 from the LA border through Dallas in a snowstorm.  Lived in El Paso when it snowed too.

It was fucking hilarious.  I probably could have walked the whole way just by stepping on cars in the ditch.  Texans are hands down the worst inclement driving group in the US.  With the loudest mouths too.  Pure comedy.

View Quote

I20 from LA huh?

Eta.. Louisiana not Los Angeles

That's how they section of road is all the time
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

ok.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Did Ted Cruz take off for Cancun yet?
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

If he was smart he did. No reason to be here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Not icy yet where i'm at in mesquite, just drizzly but the roads are wet.  Just had some idiot in a single cab dodge ram try to floor it and haul ass down the street that runs along side our house (as many of the fuck weasles in this neighborhood do), lost the backend out from under him went sideways and t-boned a parked car.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#43]
OMG its winter...
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#44]
i thought just northerners couldn't drive in the snow............

i'm so confused.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I’m 35 miles SW of FWT. I haven’t seen a drop of precipitation all day. They cancelled school so I’ve had my two little assholes home all day for no reason.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks like a big day tomorrow

Link Posted: 1/30/2023 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Already made hot cocoa.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not until the power fails
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#49]
It was clear and 27 at 6:00 AM this morning and all was good. Rain fell for about a half hour and now it's a freezing mist. We closed the office at 2 and will be WFH tomorrow. Schools are already closed for tomorrow as the freezing rain is supposed to pick up around sun rise.

TLDR; Today wasn't bad, but tomorrow will suck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#50]
I drove from Ames to Davenport Saturday evening.
17°F, freezing drizzle.
Roads were salty from before and I could still keep up speed.
But the windshield defrost was on high, making the car an oven, and yet anything over 55mph caused icing.
I had to stop to de-ice the headlights.  (not enough heat from LEDs)
Passed by several people on the side of the road chipping ice off their headlights and windshield.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top