BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jesus Fucking Christ

This is the reason why 2m/70cm has become 11 meters.

Before you folks buy anything go here:
Http://www.arrl.org

Or else you will face enforcement penalties:
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/unauthorized-radio-operation#:~:text=Federal%20law%20generally%20prohibits%20radio,other%20civil%20and%20criminal%20penalties

View Quote

I bet you turned in your bumpstock
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus Fucking Christ

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/unauthorized-radio-operation#:~:text=Federal%20law%20generally%20prohibits%20radio,other%20civil%20and%20criminal%20penalties

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 4:04:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm gonna get one of these just so I can have all the transmitting POWER!
Amazon Product
  • \u25b6\u3010Long Range Communication\u3011Professional Ham Radio\uff0cUp to 128 channels.Output :10W ,High/Mid/Low Tri-Power Switchover,FCC certificated,FCC ID:2AJGM-AR152,The signal waves have the ability to penetrate wood; steel and concrete; giving you better range and performance in urban environments and around buildings

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Who cares about rules and regulations?

I just want to Pump Up the Volume.

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 that I have to figure out how to program... i have the little disc that comes with them... shoulder mikes, bigger batteries and antennas...  subscribed to this thread to read it when I actually can
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Excellent read! Very interesting!
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed!
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Were radios like this of any practical use during the last Florida hurricane?
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In this thread, we watch all of the unlicensed GDers discuss breaking federal law.  
View Quote

It's a fully automatic, high capacity radio built for war.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who cares about rules and regulations?

I just want to Pump Up the Volume.

View Quote

How's your cock ring?
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have 2 that I have to figure out how to program... i have the little disc that comes with them... shoulder mikes, bigger batteries and antennas...  subscribed to this thread to read it when I actually can
View Quote

Shitcan the disc.

Download CHIRP and use that to program.

I'm a computer tard and I figured out how to program the Baofengs with CHIRP.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bought one last year for sledding up north after the request of my buddy and it worked great in the rolling hills and valleys of the UP. It makes disappearing into the forest without him/as a group so much easier.

As mentioned, absolutely buy the programming cable and download CHIRP. I have never touched/owned a programmable radio and had it ready to go within 15 minutes with all the FRS and GMRS channels with CHIRP.
View Quote

We sled and back country ski with them. They don't have a lot of range when you get deeper into the mountains and valleys. I got really stuck last year and I was on my own until my buddies got close enough for comms. I'm going to upgrade the antenna to see if it helps.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We sled and back country ski with them. They don't have a lot of range when you get deeper into the mountains and valleys. I got really stuck last year and I was on my own until my buddies got close enough for comms. I'm going to upgrade the antenna to see if it helps.
View Quote

I can clearly talk to my friend that lives 5 mile straight line distance from me with this antenna on my uv5r

https://a.co/d/2NpyK6U
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
You might get lucky with a signal bounce, but these are line of sight radios. If you're stuck in a valley you're not getting a signal over the hill to the other side without an relay or a really high antenna.

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You might get lucky with a signal bounce, but these are line of sight radios. If you're stuck in a valley you're not getting a signal over the hill to the other side without an relay or a really high antenna.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm positively shocked at how well my baofeng rig cuts through the timber and geography of our land. My brother was way down in creek bottom whispering to me about deer movement. I was on the opposite corner of a 200 acre rectangle, on the other side of a ridge, deep in the timber whispering back. Thats obviously not miles of distance, but there was a lot of shit between us including hill side. It was bad enough that when I envisioned tackling this problem, I started by buying an Argent Data Systems simplex repeater, solar cell, power regulator, etc. I was gonna string the repeater up a tree on the ridgeline. Turns out it wasn't necessary. We hear eachother fine without. I don't know what path our radio waves are taking but it's doing it fine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is there high country in the area that you can park a truck on with a mobile radio running cross-band repeat? For the laymen, the handheld talks to the truck radio, the truck radio then sends that signal out at a much higher power on a different frequency, handhelds listen on that frequency.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#17]
This thread reminds me of how little I know. My son called last night and asked me how we could communicate in SHTF as we are 200 miles apart. Can someone give me a down and dirty solution to his question?
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B09M3MBNQ2
View Quote

Whoa, it's military grade and tactical so you know it has to be good!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This thread reminds me of how little I know. My son called last night and asked me how we could communicate in SHTF as we are 200 miles apart. Can someone give me a down and dirty solution to his question?
View Quote

Two ICOM HF radios and a 10 or 20 meter beam antenna.

or

Two Kenwood HT's and a 2m/70cm repeater on a '2000 tower running D-Star or an EchoLink node.

Plus a General/Extra license for HF or a Tech license for the HT/2m/70cm. You can also use the tech license on 10m.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know man, OD is a bit passé.  If it doesn't come in MultiCam® then they should at least offer coyote or sand.

Though I guess I could always rattle can it and toss to down the driveway a few times.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I finally ordered one, bigger antenna and the cable.

Not planning on transmitting at all, just listening and only if things get spicier.

No real interest in being a HAM radio geek but things being what they are, I'd have to consider myself stupid if I didn't have some measure of comms if things got wonky.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't know man, OD is a bit passé.  If it doesn't come in MultiCam® then they should at least offer coyote or sand.

Though I guess I could always rattle can it and toss to down the driveway a few times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OD is passé. But that ain't OD. That's ranger green. Ranger green is the hotness. Works in all environments. For high-speed operators only.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

OD is passé. But that ain't OD. That's ranger green. Ranger green is the hotness. Works in all environments. For high-speed operators only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck.

It's harder keeping my mil-LARP kit up to date than it is my club-kid LARP outfits.

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

or

Two Kenwood HT's and a 2m/70cm repeater on a '2000 tower running D-Star or an EchoLink node.

Plus a General/Extra license for HF or a Tech license for the HT/2m/70cm. You can also use the tech license on 10m.
View Quote

I hope you're not serious with that advice.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

or

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or

Yeah, for a widescale and long-term SHTF situation, HF will likely be the best option.  You'll both need to be able to power your stations, but you'll have no other dependencies.  In that scenario, many/most third-party repeaters would eventually go offline and sat phones eventually stop working, due to dependence on ground processing stations.

Thus, long distance comms are not going to be an option for most folks.  Setting up an HF station is a significant commitment of time and expense, as would be planning to ensure you both have power after that super volcano blows off.  Instead, you may just need to wait for Kevin Costner to visit your village.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought these were outlawed like 2 years ago? Thats why I bought ten of them based on that GD scared thread lol
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not planning on transmitting at all, just listening and only if things get spicier.

No real interest in being a HAM radio geek but things being what they are, I'd have to consider myself stupid if I didn't have some measure of comms if things got wonky.
View Quote

Now you've done it. You're completely hosed. You know these damn things reproduce asexually, right? All it takes is one. One day soon, you'll find it has siblings.

Here's my proof...

Attachment Attached File

Now I've gotta figure out a way to get a Motorola Apx 8000.

Eta: and a Disco32 DISCUS. Those look cool as hell.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus Fucking Christ

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I thought these were outlawed like 2 years ago? Thats why I bought ten of them based on that GD scared thread lol
View Quote

They just programed them differently.

Ironically you can unlock the new ones in like 2 minutes.

My going theory is that with the US tanking semiconductor production in China, Baofengs will become unavailable in the future and will actually rise in value.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I have more than half a dozen variants.  I remember when the baofeng UV5r first came out.  Prior to that the sub $100 Wouxun kg-uv1p was the cheap go to.  

I got my first UV5R varients over the years for the following prices:

2013 UV5ra $36.99

2017 UV5ra $21.98

2019 UV5rex $24.99

April 2022 not baofeng but similar... model P10UV for $17.99

Just now 2022 UV5r with extended battery for 29.79

I have gotten a few from ebay over the years and the prices have always fluctuated between just under $20 to $30 on average/ excluding different variations which can be + or - $10 over the basic ones.

To date I have actually worn out two or three UV5r.  For light duty use they outlast their cost, even when comparing to a name brands, but with that said you do get what you pay for.  All said and done they are a fun functional tool that have their place.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
SHTF (no cell, internet, land lines) its not going to happen unless you both setup a NVIS station.  Then the most reliable cutting through atmospheric conditions is using a digital mode like FLDIGI (this is a radio only digital mode it doesn't use internet or cell systems)

You guys could make something happen, but it will take learning, money and motivation to get it setup and you have to practice and develop a SOI.

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Have a few folks in my off road club that use these things. None of them are licensed. I have not been impressed with them. They seem overly complex and don't sound that great. I rely on one of the guys in my group to program folks that show up to our trail rides with them. I have a Midland Base Station GMRS in my Jeep and hand out cheap FRS radios ($27 for 2 at Walmart) to folks that show up without a radio.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Two-Way-Walkie-Talkie-IPX4-22-Channel-Green-2-Pack/961052106

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I have no interest in HAM. Seems like a complete waste of time. Great hobby if you really hate being around your family. Right up there with reloading.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you never transmit, you won’t be able to use it when the time comes. It’s not complicated, but there are lots of ways to make it not work well, especially if you’re trying to hit repeaters.

Just get a gmrs license, it’s literally just paying a fee to the King to use his airwaves. Then learn how to hit your local GMRS repeater and chat with those guys. Every one I’ve ever hit has been full of friendly and helpful regulars.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Ive used them about a mile or more with a ridge between us. Worked damned good.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#35]
A decent antenna cost as much as this thing does!

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

or

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or

Best bet is the HF. Those repeaters could go down.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I got a few BF-F8HP that are actually 8 watts and the nicer antenna.

We tested it and the range is definitely further. We got about 4 miles.

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A decent antenna cost as much as this thing does!

View Quote

They work fine with the antenna they come with for what they are, a 5W VHF/UHF HT.  To get more than that you are better off with basic mobile and external antenna in a vehicle, or as a base station.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Have a few folks in my off road club that use these things. None of them are licensed. I have not been impressed with them. They seem overly complex and don't sound that great. I rely on one of the guys in my group to program folks that show up to our trail rides with them. I have a Midland Base Station GMRS in my Jeep and hand out cheap FRS radios ($27 for 2 at Walmart) to folks that show up without a radio.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Two-Way-Walkie-Talkie-IPX4-22-Channel-Green-2-Pack/961052106

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Midland_Radio_Mount_jpg-2577109.JPG https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Midland_Radio_Mount2_jpg-2577111.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/HAM_GMRS_Radio_coversion_table_JPG-2577103.JPG

I have no interest in HAM. Seems like a complete waste of time. Great hobby if you really hate being around your family. Right up there with reloading.
View Quote

Grab a 115 and you will be much happier!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#40]
What's the best antenna to get HAM weather channels and local emergency channels?
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Linked repeater network.

Or HF radios using an NVIS antenna on the 80m band.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 1:13:23 AM EDT
[#42]
If you use a Chase Freedom card and pay for part of it with rewards points, you can get 50% off the first $30 of purchases from Amazon LLC.
But that makes it $25 instead of $22, so you have to pay nearly $13 for it.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a Chirp cable that qualifies for the 50% off.
So I ended up around $22 for 5R and cable.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 1:45:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What's the best antenna to get HAM weather channels and local emergency channels?
View Quote

Receiving noaa channels shouldn't be a problem. If you want leo or fire, it would depend on the system they use, and the frequency.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:00:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What can you hear on these worth hearing ?
View Quote

I mainly use it for the NOAA weather and tides.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Online information on BaoFeng models is a little confusing; Is there a difference between these two radios?

Both radios look identical on the outside.

The one on the left (UV-82 Plus)(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09495V4QW) was about $27 on Amazon, came in a 3"x3"x6" brown box; the one on the right (UV-82)(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RSWFT2K) was about $37 and came with a programming cable, shoulder mic, and an additional, longer antenna, and came in a 6"x9"x2" color-printed box. The specs on the Amazon pages are otherwise identical as far as I could see

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#46]

I keed, I keeeeed. Calmate!
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Preach, brother. I have a stack of Baofengs as a General Class as well. I also have a GMRS license for exactly the reasons you describe.

Don't tell the other hams at the meeting, but I use my Baofengs on GMRS all the time. I'm not buying another set of handsets just for that.

#BreakinTheLawBreakinTheLaw (imagine Beavis as you read this)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You and your family will be much further ahead with a handful of Good GMRS radios and either a mobile GMRS radio with a decent antenna or handhelds that are repeater capable using a repeater in your area. Having your own repeater pretty much ensures your own family ability to communicate locally in a 'SHTF'.

I'm telling you this a General class (mid level, HF privileges) HAM licensee. Getting your family into HAM can be like teaching a pig to sing  just get a GMRS family license for $90 and go play with your radios.
Preach, brother. I have a stack of Baofengs as a General Class as well. I also have a GMRS license for exactly the reasons you describe.

Don't tell the other hams at the meeting, but I use my Baofengs on GMRS all the time. I'm not buying another set of handsets just for that.

#BreakinTheLawBreakinTheLaw (imagine Beavis as you read this)

I heard a rattling sound in the radio body of my icom 2720 and decided to take a look inside.
So I popped of the cover and found that a little transistor had fallen off the board somehow.
No idea how it fell off. No idea. None.
Well , being that is such a small component about the size of pin head, I was unable to solder it back to the board.
Consequently I realized it will accidentally transmit out of band if you needed to in like an emergency or something. Yes that's it, in an emergency.  Yep.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How far can these reach in mostly flat suburbia with the stock antenna? With a better car antenna?
View Quote

I can hit a repeater that's 25 miles away with the Nagoya antenna as long as there's not too many trees in the way.
It helps a lot that it's at 700 feet though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Just ordered one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Mine came in today.  Thanks, OP.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top