Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
UV5Rs have started showing up at local gun shows for like $50 each.
I just kinda chuckle as I walk by.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine came in today.  Thanks, OP.
View Quote

I ordered two of those units from Amazon and they arrived yesterday evening. They have so many capabilities it is almost unbelievable that one small unit such as this is so cool and vetts so high. I went out in the woods for several hundred meters from our house and quality communication back to the house was achieved and we're just getting started and will upgrade soon! Thanks OP with your help we just saved about ninety dollars on these units! Cheers brah!
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#3]
What frequencies should I add to the channels? CHIRP has a lot of options.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
National Simplex frequencies:  146.52 on 2m; 446.00 on 70cm

NOAA stations in your area (find via CHIRP drop down)

2m and 70CM repeaters in your area (search via dropdowns both by political (state and county) and location (distance from your address).

Any special frequencies you and your group use.

All of these can be added via simple C&P function just like Excel etc.  Several good YT videos on how to do it.  1st step:  Delete the two channels already on the radio; these are factory test channels.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Everytime one of these threads pop up I put 2 in my cart and then talk myself out if it as I can't think of when I'd use them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Are these waterproof?

If so, I need a few.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

2m and 70CM repeaters in your area (search via dropdowns both by political (state and county) and location (distance from your address).

All of these can be added via simple C&P function just like Excel etc.  Several good YT videos on how to do it.  1st step:  Delete the two channels already on the radio; these are test channels.
View Quote

Good advice...plus GMRS channels.  For listening.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

NOAA.
GMRS Channels.
GMRS Local Repeaters (mygmrs.com/map).
Amateur Band Repeaters (repeaterbook.com).

Quoted:
Are these waterproof?

If so, I need a few.

Water resistant. NOT Waterproof.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 1:16:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I used one of these for intel gathering during the antifa riots. Yeah, there are better radio's out there, but I was quite happy with these little guys. If I have to trash a radio, I'd much rather trash these than a nice Motorola.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a few of these and they are ok radios at this price. Not great but good enough for what you pay.  BTW, for the record, I have a buddy who is also a ham that lives about 8 miles away from me (relatively flat farmland between us) and we rigged up a couple of homemade yagi antennas made from cheap harbor freight tape measures and some PVC pipe for a total of about $25 in parts for 2 antennas.  We have used them on these radios and they  work great at 5 watts at that distance and could probably go quite a bit further.  These types of antennas are also great for fox hunting.

Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Just saw this online and thought I would park it here for folks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you hook two of these cheapies together for a repeater, & hang em off a drone @ 400'?
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 5:43:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can you hook two of these cheapies together for a repeater, & hang em off a drone @ 400'?
View Quote

you can. (Well no idea bout hanging them off a drone).  But I could never get the 2 radio repeater thing to work.  Did the Surcom with a radio.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yo dawg, I heard you like radios.

So I hung two radios off of a radio so you could radio further while you radio.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Jail break and use on GMRS. Subscribe to Notarubicon on YouTube to avoid the Sad Hams.
View Quote

I bought one of the copies of the AN/PRC 152 that is basically a UV5-R and it does GMRS right out of the box.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine came today. Now to figure out what to do with it lol.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

All of these can be added via simple C&P function just like Excel etc.  Several good YT videos on how to do it.  1st step:  Delete the two channels already on the radio; these are factory test channels.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mine came today. Now to figure out what to do with it lol.
View Quote

I don’t know squat about radios, but I set mine to the weather broadcast. Pretty useful while I figure out how to operate this thing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

you can. (Well no idea bout hanging them off a drone).  But I could never get the 2 radio repeater thing to work.  Did the Surcom with a radio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can buy portable repeaters.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Haven't played with mine yet, still doing research.

Why the UV-82 over the UV-5R? There seems to be more info out there on the 5R.

How does the Retevis RT85 stack up against the other two?

I could use four more radios, should I stick to the UV-82 or switch it up?
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I went with four UV5R's since the plan is to give away to friends/family/neighbors.  Ill program them and have their name displayed.

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

People always say the UV-82 is overall a better radio than the UV-5R.  But I never really hear why......I never had the 82 so I cant say.  If I wanted a better radio still in the cheaper price range (around $85) the Yaesu FT-65R has been a pretty good performer for me.  Its also made in Japan, and its easy to unlock via a numeric code.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is one physical difference between the UV-5R and UV-82 that stands out, which is the keypad.

Attachment Attached File

The UV-5R is a bit shorter and wider, and has the zero key to the right of the other numbers, which some people don't like.

The UV-82 is slightly taller and slimmer, and has the zero key at the bottom, in the standard phone keypad configuration.

I also read that there was something different about the placement of the two channel buttons on the side, but I can't remember which model was preferred or why.

These are just personal preference issues, though. Hopefully someone can comment on whether there are any major performance differences between the two.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:39:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Everytime one of these threads pop up I put 2 in my cart and then talk myself out if it as I can't think of when I'd use them.
View Quote
Get several, they make  decent wheel chocks.
Also,  not bad  for a chew toy, if your dog likes plastic.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:30:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've done it. One on vhf one on uhf under a phantom 3.it worked fine.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

People always say the UV-82 is overall a better radio than the UV-5R.  But I never really hear why......I never had the 82 so I cant say.  If I wanted a better radio still in the cheaper price range (around $85) the Yaesu FT-65R has been a pretty good performer for me.  Its also made in Japan, and its easy to unlock via a numeric code.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you can actually program the Yaesu from the front panel without wanting to chuck the radio into a pond.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#29]

$20...… I just bought another one.   You almost can't help BUT buy a bunch at that price!
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Baofengs are gateway drugs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#32]

My humble HT collection.

Yaesu, TYT and the FANG.

I do want at least one more handheld..... but i am holding out for new submersible Yaesus. Hello..... Mr Su??!! Why you keep discontinuing the good ones?

Attachment Attached File

And a magic box for DMR.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#33]

- FT-470: was my second HT when I was a teen (the battery still holds a charge surprisingly)
- UV-878: is my daily use HT
- UV-5R: Got me back into the hobby
- FT-25: Hiking APRS rig
- UV-878v2: My motorcycle rig
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My humble HT collection.

Yaesu, TYT and the FANG.

I do want at least one more handheld..... but i am holding out for new submersible Yaesus. Hello..... Mr Su??!! Why you keep discontinuing the good ones?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123862/E022C21D-88F3-4F15-B802-9374FE85F6B5_jpe-2620283.JPG

And a magic box for DMR.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123862/507CBF66-0A45-4075-93C1-7F29E152C44B_jpe-2620286.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My humble HT collection.

Yaesu, TYT and the FANG.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123862/E022C21D-88F3-4F15-B802-9374FE85F6B5_jpe-2620283.JPG

And a magic box for DMR.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123862/507CBF66-0A45-4075-93C1-7F29E152C44B_jpe-2620286.JPG

I need a dual slice hotspot so I can Brandmeister Nebraska and TGIF ARFCOM at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The government says that a man with a penis can legally be referred to as a she, and in fact may penalize you if you don't play their along with their mental fantasy games, you think that any of us give a dang how they define family?
View Quote

I liken regulation of the radio spectrum to wildlife management.  It's a necessary thing to keep a finite system healthy.  Will the "rules" go out the window if the S hits the F?  Yup, I know it will.  But as I said before, if you want to KNOW your comms will work in the apocalypse, whatever that looks like, it costs you a few bucks per DECADE to be able to train legally in the now.  If you could do that training without affecting others, I'd say screw the FCC and their $70 GMRS license, but the fact is you're consuming a shared resource when you key up on those frequencies.  Anyone not in your immediate family as they define it should pony up and get a callsign that isn't "wooodpecker 6".
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Depends. When I first got mine a couple years ago I was a dum-dum and didn't realize they didn't have CB frequencies. Not much in my area that isn't on P25 Phase II digital either. I can listen in to county school bus shenanigans. . I think the most I've used them so far were at nascar races where they really came in handy.

Other than that you can use them with and without licenses (depending on frequencies) for close range LoS comms. They can do a lot, you just have to know how to use them. If you're dong hikes/hunting where your get out of cell range they can be handy. Portable weather radio too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What can you hear on these worth hearing ?
Depends. When I first got mine a couple years ago I was a dum-dum and didn't realize they didn't have CB frequencies. Not much in my area that isn't on P25 Phase II digital either. I can listen in to county school bus shenanigans. . I think the most I've used them so far were at nascar races where they really came in handy.

Other than that you can use them with and without licenses (depending on frequencies) for close range LoS comms. They can do a lot, you just have to know how to use them. If you're dong hikes/hunting where your get out of cell range they can be handy. Portable weather radio too.

@crownvic96 Your dong goes out on hikes without you??

King Missile - Detachable Penis
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought 2 for the kids as walkie talkies.  I'll put FRS, wx, and maybe some radio stations on them.  They can talk to their friends in the next neighborhood over.

Plus, everyone will have one when we go camping and hiking.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#38]
The UV-5R Explained For Beginners - Full Overview Of The Baofeng UV5R & What The UV-5R Buttons Do

Baofeng UV-5R: Legal Things That Anyone Can Do - NO HAM LICENSE NEEDED - Easy & Fully Legal
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's just a bit more, but the UV-82 is a nicer radio. Whatever you do, make sure you get a programming cable and learn how to use Chirp to program them. Using the keypad on a Baofeng to manually program will make you want to kill baby seals and punch small children in frustration.

Make a Chirp file and clone all your Baofengs with the same settings and stack them cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-82-Power-Portable-Antenna/dp/B09496MLH3
View Quote

Can these be unlocked like the other ones shown in that video?

ETA: Nevermind, $19 for the 5R so I just bought 2 of them and the programming cable. Fuck it, guess I need to learn how to use them now.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

ETA: Nevermind, $19 for the 5R so I just bought 2 of them and the programming cable. Fuck it, guess I need to learn how to use them now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's just a bit more, but the UV-82 is a nicer radio. Whatever you do, make sure you get a programming cable and learn how to use Chirp to program them. Using the keypad on a Baofeng to manually program will make you want to kill baby seals and punch small children in frustration.

Make a Chirp file and clone all your Baofengs with the same settings and stack them cheap.

Program them via CHIRP, easey peasey.

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don’t be surprised if the cheap programming cable is garbage.  They frequently use cloned serial driver chips that require sketchy drivers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Does CHIRP work with a Chromebook? The computer I used for it died and I only have a Chromebook.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Does CHIRP work with a Chromebook? The computer I used for it died and I only have a Chromebook.
View Quote

How comfortable are you with Linux?

https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/8739
https://www.reddit.com/r/Baofeng/comments/s5cxok/is_it_possible_to_get_chirp_on_a_chrome_book_to/

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#45]
You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a pair that I bought years ago so the wife and I could communicate in an emergency if cells were down, like a massive power failure.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I liken regulation of the radio spectrum to wildlife management.  It's a necessary thing to keep a finite system healthy.  Will the "rules" go out the window if the S hits the F?  Yup, I know it will.  But as I said before, if you want to KNOW your comms will work in the apocalypse, whatever that looks like, it costs you a few bucks per DECADE to be able to train legally in the now.  If you could do that training without affecting others, I'd say screw the FCC and their $70 GMRS license, but the fact is you're consuming a shared resource when you key up on those frequencies.  Anyone not in your immediate family as they define it should pony up and get a callsign that isn't "wooodpecker 6".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The government says that a man with a penis can legally be referred to as a she, and in fact may penalize you if you don't play their along with their mental fantasy games, you think that any of us give a dang how they define family?

Absolute fact.

Buying one and saying you'll be GTG for use in emergency is like buying a rifle and throwing it in the closet, never going to the range, but saying you're now fully prepared for a fight.

It takes almost nothing to get on the air legally, and the benefits of testing out and actually USING your equipment are enormous.

Ham Tech and General are easy, and cheap, and GMRS is now only 35 bucks, and simple and quick.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#48]
You don't license a radio.

You get a radio license because of what kind of communications you want to pursue.

If you want to participate in amateur radio, then get an amateur radio license. You don't get an amateur license because you bought a baofeng.

Same with GMRS or LMR. You get a license to do whatever activity you are wanting to do, which frequencies you want to use, who you want to talk to etc.

Regardless of whether you get a license or not, if you talk on the radios, you need to get reasonable frequencies programmed into the radios first. By default they do not come with usable frequencies. Baofengs are designed for the land mobile radio market, where a technician somewhere sets up the radios for a company or whatever with the frequencies that are needed for that application. They are not a pre-programmed consumer product. There are alternative versions with different firmware that have pre-programmed channel sets for GMRS, or MURS, but the ones linked in the OP are the bare-bones unprogrammed. You need technical knowledge to make them work.

Due to rampant misuse, interference issues etc many of the ones sold in the US now are locked to amateur-band only operation out of the box. They aren't type approved for amateur radio so this makes no sense, nor does it make sense to dump uninformed walkie-talkie buyers into illegal amateur band operation, but this is the government at work. The amateur service is not the place for general walkie-talkie personal communications, use the MURS, GMRS, or FRS channels.

This UV-5R is almost literally the worst radio on the planet, yet it gets posted monthly and 87 dozen people run off to amazon or wherever and order them because it seems like the prepper thing to do.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I bought 2 for the kids as walkie talkies.  I'll put FRS, wx, and maybe some radio stations on them.  They can talk to their friends in the next neighborhood over.

Plus, everyone will have one when we go camping and hiking.
View Quote

Make sure their friends don't have the CTCSS codes (so called privacy codes) enabled or they will not be able to hear your kids.
Pain in the butt to change on the Baofengs.  Have to know the frequency to match FRS/GMRS codes.
Easy to do on a FRS/GMRS radio.  Just set the code to 0 or off.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You don't license a radio.
[snip]
This UV-5R is almost literally the worst radio on the planet, yet it gets posted monthly and 87 dozen people run off to amazon or wherever and order them because it seems like the prepper thing to do.
View Quote
From a purely technical standpoint, you're probably right.

However, from a Big Picture perspective, I would maintain that they are the best Ham radios in the world.

They are cheap, so lots of people get interested enough to buy them.  With CHIRP, they are extremely easy to program and then use.  Non-Ham people start using them, perhaps on GRMS or MURS or maybe even the Ham frequencies (illegally); they listen, use them, then get interested in the Ham hobby.  I would bet that Baofeng radios are a big reason new people are getting into the Ham community.

At worst case, people buy them, use them a couple times, lose interest, then toss them into a drawer never to be seen again.

Hence, I'm glad whenever there is a new Baofeng thread.  
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top