Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not wasps. Bald faced hornets.
View Quote

I am not an "flying asshat" expert but BFH are the worst assholes to deal with.  I usually get the red wasp building shit around me.  I caught a yellow jacket nest around 10 years ago by accident...they let me know real quick while on the mower.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one like that. I’m waiting till it gets colder.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
One of them just stung the dag so I'm ready to escalate the situation.  I'm to the point of pulling the shed away from the shop with the tractor and burning the fucker to the ground.
View Quote

That’s a little extreme.

I like it, go for it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's how I'd do it.

Form your right hand into a cylinder, like you're going to peer through it like a telescope.  Do the same with your left, but butt it up to your right hand, forming an even longer cylindrical tube.  Point it towards the teenage boy at the neighbor's house, raise the tube to your lips and shout "Wanna make fifty bucks?"

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you drive close to it?

Make a nice strong mixture of insecticide in a pump up sprayer.

Set the sprayer for a single stream.

Sit in a vehicle with the window lowered just enough to get the spray wand out.

May consider stuffing some paper towels or rags in any gap between the window and the door frame.

Spray about a gallon or so of the mixture all over the nest, soaking it and punching holes in it as much as possible.

They will all be dead or gone in a day or two.

I have gotten rid of Yellowjacket nests this way a few times and it works pretty good for them, should work for hornets also.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, be careful.  BFH have one or two sentries… if you approach the nest they sound the alarm and swarm before you mess with them.  Even if you’re just strolling by obliviously.  You’ll see one or two waking around or posted up stationary near the entrance like bouncers. Sometimes the guard will come out and buzz you.

Most other wasp/hornet nests kind of wait for you to engage the nest before they react.  I can stand 4-5 from a yellow jacket nest and observe it somewhat safely.  If you walk near a BFH nest they bring the fight to you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#7]
A small fighter/drone should be able to penetrate the outer defenses.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Tannerite
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#9]
This...
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Just bag 'er up...

Man tries to remove wasp nest with plastic bag and fails horribly - Daily Mail
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

You know, I bet that looked like a REALLY good idea when he thought that one up in his head.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

My grandfather told me he was going to try that with a bald faced hornet nest years ago; he was going to line a box with a black garbage bag, put it under the nest then cut the branch it was on with loppers so it would fall into the box.

This nest was head-high and every bit of 24” across, biggest “round hanging” nest I ever seen.  We talked him out of it.  They would have murdered him before he even got the branch cut.  He was like, “I’ll do it at night.” … ok gramps, then you’ll just end up dying in the dark.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get a can of wasp&hornet spray - the kind that squirts up to 20ft.

Wait until dark then hose the shit out of the entrance and lower portion of the nest. Knock it down come daybreak.

That stuff works.
View Quote

That's why I would do also but I will say a nest that big will have tons of alive bees in it when you try to knock it down.

OP you might want to do this over the course of a couple nights.

Spray it down good. Knock some of it down and run away.

Do that over a few nights.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#14]
This stuff works.  About $5 at Walmart, HomeDepot, Dollar Store...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Raid-Wasp-Hornet-Insect-Killer-33-17-5-oz/11027619
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does one pour dust up?

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19-qku8F8fA
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#17]
that is an spic size nest!
Lemme get some popcorn going!
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just bag 'er up...

Man tries to remove wasp nest with plastic bag and fails horribly - Daily Mail
View Quote

The screeching sound in the background was a sign...
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, you're going to have to find the entry hole. Then you're gonna want to attack it after dark at night time when the hive is sleeping. I'd use some PT Wasp Freeze, it will drop them dead in less than 10 seconds. I would empty a whole can of it into the hole, spraying around in every direction. I wouldn't attempt doing this without at least a pair of good thick denim jeans and also a thick leather jacket, for face protection maybe a racing helmet, and thick leather gloves for your hands.

Alpine dust, or delta dust, or sevin dust might work too but it's not gonna kill them as fast as PT Wasp Freeze can. Wasp freeze incapacitates them, so they can't fly and sting you.

Wasp Freeze - Wasp & Hornet Killer Aerosol Spray
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a T/C Contender/Encore with a 16" .22LR barrel and some CCI shot shells.

Sharpen your skeet shooting skills.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Shotgun blast, multiple rounds.
View Quote

This, from a benelli m4 if possible.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's why I would do also but I will say a nest that big will have tons of alive bees in it when you try to knock it down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait until dark then hose the shit out of the entrance and lower portion of the nest. Knock it down come daybreak.

That stuff works.

This, except do not try to knock it down.  Spray thoroughly, wait a few minutes, spray again and leave it alone for a few days before trying to remove it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I need to get rid of this nest. It’s on the back of a storage shed I had while the shop was getting built. There isn’t much room between the building a shed so fire isn’t an option. Any other solutions that don’t involve me getting stung a few hundred times?

https://i.postimg.cc/D0MYn2v5/BC9551-E1-4135-4-F8-E-9-CBF-E4-CBF90-A01-DA.jpg
View Quote

THAT is an impressive hive.

Plan your attack carefully, or even in victory you'll pay a price.
You're dealing with things that have no fear. No pity. No remorse.

Ever see Aliens?
Yeah, kinda like that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#25]
If you lived close id come over and remove it with a trash bag. Only rule is youd have to video tape it for GD.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This, except do not try to knock it down.  Spray thoroughly, wait a few minutes, spray again and leave it alone for a few days before trying to remove it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That stuff works.

Yes sorry I definitely didn't mean to knock it down right away. That would be bad.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My grandfather told me he was going to try that with a bald faced hornet nest years ago; he was going to line a box with a black garbage bag, put it under the nest then cut the branch it was on with loppers so it would fall into the box.

This nest was head-high and every bit of 24” across, biggest “round hanging” nest I ever seen.  We talked him out of it.  They would have murdered him before he even got the branch cut.  He was like, “I’ll do it at night.” … ok gramps, then you’ll just end up dying in the dark.
View Quote

sounds a bit like this one.. Cringe what he does with those hedge trimmers.. only a canadian...

Bald faced hornets nest removal gone wrong (Fail)
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, you are making much too big a deal of this. Wait until well after dark, then spray the nest down with a whole can of wasp/hornet spray that has the 20 foot spray.  Observe the nest the next day.  If any activity is noted, spray the nest again with another can of wasp killer, again only at night. Lather, rinse, repeat, until it is dead, dead, dead. Eventually the nest will be saturated with insecticide and they will all die.

This works every time. It might take a couple or 3 applications with a nest that size, but a hanging one the size of a football does not even need a whole can.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I need to get rid of this nest. It’s on the back of a storage shed I had while the shop was getting built. There isn’t much room between the building a shed so fire isn’t an option. Any other solutions that don’t involve me getting stung a few hundred times?

View Quote

Fuck that thing!
Call the bug man.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#30]
If you're need isn't immediate, you might try boric acid.  

Safely kill ALL Hornets, Yellow Jackets and Wasps for 1/2 mile. Safe for honeybees.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#31]
40mm HEDP
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#32]
You better invest in a good bee suit.  Bald face hornets have smooth stingers and can poke all the way through a cheap one.  

We used a hose positioned to spray the nest... a long hose.    Then let it soak till it fell from the weight.   The hornets left.    Easy and cost me nothing.    Do it in the evening when the nest is less active.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Just man up and go grab it and tear it down.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Whatever you do, do it after dark and shoot the video horizontally.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Maybe have an epi-pen and liquid Benadryl handy just in case. Please video the attack / revenge for training purposes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File

For some reason seeing that pic reminds me of Trump's hair.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The OP looks like a yellow jacket wasp nest.
View Quote

It's bald-faced hornets.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#38]
We found one on our deer lease years ago that size hanging from a tree limb. I was 13 or 14 years old, the old guys got liquored up and decided to go get the nest (one of the guys had 5 nests as decoration in his house). Anyway, my daddy told me to stay in camp, but I HAD to see this go down.

They had me drive the truck. They carried a 20lb propane tank and a 50 gal plastic trash bag. I drove under the nest, they sacked it, stuck the propane hose in the sack and opened the valve. They cut the limb after a few seconds and yelled "DRIVE!"

Next morning they removed the sack and shook the nest. The final count was over 400 dead or dying hornets. Crazy old bastards are all dead and gone now. Good times.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

The secret of my success is that I don't use chemical poison but feminist wasps.

They will begin to complain about their wasp roles and demand diversity quotas.

Then they will convince the Queen to not procreate and blame everything on the males.

In the last phase they will invite hostile flies from the neighborhood to immigrate into their nest.

It takes only three generations to destroy the wasp society.  Or you get your money back.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Pretty sure that what you see on the outside is only the lobby area. Like a hotel.
The rest of the inside of your shed is the actual hive.

However if none are in the shed you can make your attack from inside.

Drill a small 3/16" hole in the siding from inside the shed. Pump full of wasp killer or propane or some other gas.

Eta2

Try and plug their hole with a stick so they can't readily escape.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd shoot it with a BB gun from a distance for a few hours for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
OP, be careful.  BFH have one or two sentries… if you approach the nest they sound the alarm and swarm before you mess with them.  Even if you’re just strolling by obliviously.  You’ll see one or two waking around or posted up stationary near the entrance like bouncers. Sometimes the guard will come out and buzz you.

Most other wasp/hornet nests kind of wait for you to engage the nest before they react.  I can stand 4-5 from a yellow jacket nest and observe it somewhat safely.  If you walk near a BFH nest they bring the fight to you.
View Quote

Yeah, they're aggressive!

Having them bounce off a bee veil is pretty intense, and they come in so hot it feels like someone's throwing marbles at you! It's also a bit unnerving having them grab onto the mesh directly in front of your face and do angry pelvic thrusts.

I also wore two pairs of coveralls, because I believe they can sting through a single pair.

Seriously though, I've had to take nests like that out before. I would suit up, climb a ladder directly to the nest, plug the entrance with one hand, and then inject an aerosol pesticide directly into the nest. All while being dive-bombed by the angry bastards...

The aerosol would kill everything in the nest almost immediately. It was kind of crazy how fast it worked. Once I removed my hand from the entrance, dead bees would just pour out. Then I would dust the entrance with residual powder to take out the flyers once they returned to the nest, and the entire nest would be dead by the next morning.

I kinda miss that job sometimes...
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#44]
The most important thing is for you to record the removal attempt, just in case it may be hilarious for others to watch.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Whatever you do, PLEASE post a follow-up! It's either going to go really smooth, or completely terrible.

I'd opt for a nighttime soaking with the long range poison for a few consecutive nights and see how much activity there is - then make the decision to smash it down or not.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Pretty sure that what you see on the outside is only the lobby area. Like a hotel.

Drill a small 3/16" hole in the siding from inside the shed. Pump full of wasp killer or propane or some other gas.

Eta2

View Quote

Spray / use chemicals through the small hole?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Cold weather is coming, can't you wait for it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eta2

Yes
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eta2

Yes

The aerosol I used came with a straw, just like WD-40. Something like that would work great for your idea.

You could also try blowing some residual dust into the nest through the hole.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Call and report a fire. When you hear sirens, douse with gasoline and strike a match. The fire department handles the rest.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top