Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 32
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:10:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have some astigmatism and wear progressive lense glasses. For shooting and such I got a pair of OAKLEY SI with my progressive prescription as well as transition lenses (wow, my eye pro sounds liberal) in them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have some astigmatism and wear progressive lense glasses. For shooting and such I got a pair of OAKLEY SI with my progressive prescription as well as transition lenses (wow, my eye pro sounds liberal) in them.
View Quote

I've got a few Oakley SI glasses and goggles, and ESS and Wiley X.  They are all good.  I'm trying to update my Oakley SI account but I'm having trouble...I hate id.me, what a clusterfuck of a website.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It takes a bit for them to wet out, from a dried state, and allow flow again.

I have no idea, the science behind this. Why a new dry one flows fine. A used and then dried one has to be wetted again.

I would make a point of only back flushing with clean water. I don't want dirty water on that side of the filter. But it seems that back flushing is the best way to re-wet a used filter.

You'll have to figure out your preferred SOP.
View Quote

Our water is pretty good, but I’ve found that for planned trips, I’ll wet-out the filter and test it before packing up. I store them dry but soak them and test them before heading out. For an emergency kit, this is why it’s good to have some starting water as it will take time to soak or wet-out your filter and if you need to back-flush, you have clean water to start with.  This is another reason I’ve kind of gone back to the larger Squeeze over the Mini; it seems to wet out much faster.

Another reason to have a backup means of water purification is to backflush with a more concentrated water solution of chlorine dioxide, especially for longer trips where your water filter pretty much remains wetted out.

Quoted:
Anyone know of a cup that the Grayl will nestle in? It's kind of an odd shape.
View Quote

@Lungbuster

I’ll have to check the brand when I get home, but there’s a Montbell Titanium 600 cup that will fit the smaller Grayl.

Quoted:
I don't want to grapple with a helmet. I don't want to wear a helmet. It's about threat assessment.

A cop jumping off his bike trying to make an arrest has a high likelihood of grappling.

A civilian in a shtf scenario imo would be similar to service members overseas.
View Quote

I think for me a ballistic or bump helmet are situational specific items. Ballistic is if I’m defending the home against an active threat, heading to fight in fantasy land, or Mad Max kicks off and I’m trying to drive home. A simple bike or bump helmet (I prefer the less tactical looking versions as I do ride a mountain bike) isn’t a bad thing to have if navigating an urban area after a crisis; falling debris, protruding rebar, sharp concrete, etc.

I would fully agree that I wouldn’t want to do close proximity combatives while wearing one…

Quoted:
One thing to.

Eye pro?.

We hit that topic yet.
View Quote

I always have sun glasses with me, but in my truck and any travel bag or pack, I’ll have a pair of clear goggles. Most of my range training is done with Wiley X SG1 goggles, but there are cheaper options such as motorcycle riding or safety glasses or goggles. Carhartt has some very inexpensive safety glasses (about $15 on Amazon); I plan to pick up a few to stash around.

I’ve done my share of nighttime patrolling off-trail in heavy foliage and it doesn’t take much to poke your eye out. Basic PPE and surviving with one-eye is harder than two eyes and your shooting eye is doubly important. Any movement at night, you should consider (and practice) wearing clear eye-pro. Again, any crisis around an urban area is likely to end up with debris, dust, and smoke in the air; eye protection is pretty damn important if you're planning to self-rescue or navigating through that type of environment.

ROCK6  
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Rock, I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One thing to.

Eye pro?.

We hit that topic yet.
View Quote

I wear glasses so that’s taken care of. That said, what about reflections?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One thing to.

Eye pro?.

We hit that topic yet.

I got killflash on all my goggles. You don't?  Your funeral, pal.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

OK, I laughed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One thing to.

Eye pro?.

We hit that topic yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
One thing to.

Eye pro?.

We hit that topic yet.

@protus I bought and wear Magpul sunglasses all the time when I'm out and about. Ballistic protection to a decent level, and don't look super operator. No idea about clear though, I should investigate more.

Quoted:

Agree.  I think the warning on helmets is good for bike riders.  Take a break cycling, unhinge the helmet.  I did it as a teen for comfort, not just self-preservation.

If you are wearing kit and any kind of helmet, yeah, someone could grab and use it as a means of controlling your head and thus body movement, like in any grappling scenario,  but like you said Stevie, you likely wouldn't even let them get that close, and as they started to approach, your gun or knife would quickly arrest any such moves on their part.  If they do close with you and grab for your helmet first, they just committed and left themselves wide open for endless countermoves which you'd have already initiated.

On a totally different subject, just saw these being peddled on ebay for $20 and up, found em cheaper, and thought some might like em... cool "take no prisoners" pirate style "no quarter" morale patch by Prometheus designs.  https://www.knifecenter.com/item/PDW40227502/prometheus-design-werx-pdw-no-prisoners-flag-morale-patch  This companies' morale patches usually sell out quickly, increase in value in the aftermarket, and these are already out of stock on their website.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/491499/EDCE3C6C-B0B8-4B60-8864-389A1F121AF0_png-2394613.JPG

@viralinsurgency I dropped all my patches (and I had cool ones!) after the summer of love pictures started circulating. I was able to ID guys based on their morale patches in multiple photos saying "hey wasn't that the same guy as that other picture...." And it was advised here that you don't do anything too crazy to stand out from similarly dressed dudes should you be in a situation where you may not want to be individually identified. Made sense to me.

Also, what's the consensus on watches and boots? I would think it's important to tell time but smart watches have similar tracking ability as phones so that seems out, and my normal watches seem like they would either glow in the dark too much under NODs or be too attention grabbing. Thoughts?

Also I need boot suggestions. I'm hiking every day now and wearing out my sneakers too quickly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#9]
On morale patches making you identifiable, yes, absolutely.  I bought one anyhow.    Love me my morale patches. Sorry you got rid of yours- did you sell em off? If or when shit goes sideways, tits-up or otherwise in a bad way, I will sterilize my gear of morale patches.  Fun in the meanwhile.

As for goggles and eye pro, aside from sunglasses, I have a couple pairs of these Bolle ballistic goggles, in tan and black.  $20 shipped from Botach.  https://botach.com/bolle-x1000-tactical-goggles-anti-fog-anti-scratch-ballistic-lens/  They have a great semi-hard shell case, much better than the ESS canvas style carry bag.

If anyone is looking for a sweet deal on a lightweight 2person tent, Kelty 2019 model is $120, weighs 4.5 lbs.
Kelty free standing 3 season tent, alum poles, $120

For boots, my go to is Rocky S2V's.  Love em.  Have a pair of 6" from another company that are super comfy that are a close second.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@protus I bought and wear Magpul sunglasses all the time when I'm out and about. Ballistic protection to a decent level, and don't look super operator. No idea about clear though, I should investigate more.

@viralinsurgency I dropped all my patches (and I had cool ones!) after the summer of love pictures started circulating. I was able to ID guys based on their morale patches in multiple photos saying "hey wasn't that the same guy as that other picture...." And it was advised here that you don't do anything too crazy to stand out from similarly dressed dudes should you be in a situation where you may not want to be individually identified. Made sense to me.

Also, what's the consensus on watches and boots? I would think it's important to tell time but smart watches have similar tracking ability as phones so that seems out, and my normal watches seem like they would either glow in the dark too much under NODs or be too attention grabbing. Thoughts?

Also I need boot suggestions. I'm hiking every day now and wearing out my sneakers too quickly.
View Quote

Garmin Foretrex 601.

Salomon Quest 4's.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Garmin Foretrex 601.

Salomon Quest 4's.
View Quote

Would you keep wearing GPS watches if things fell apart?  I wear a Fenix by Garmin now, and love all the features to track progress, fitness and terrain data, but I never upload it anywhere, other than syncing the Garmin app.  

I read somewhere that the watches were compromising current military folks wearing them, but unsure if that was as a result of social network posting or directly through Garmin.  Anyone have input?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#12]
@Rock6

A friend and I were talking about a cup for the Grayl and he sent me this:

He shows the cup at the 17 min mark.

Dave Canterbury (yeah, I know) is making a cup specifically for it. Looks pretty good and looks like it shouldn't rattle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Would you keep wearing GPS watches if things fell apart?  I wear a Fenix by Garmin now, and love all the features to track progress, fitness and terrain data, but I never upload it anywhere, other than syncing the Garmin app.  

I read somewhere that the watches were compromising current military folks wearing them, but unsure if that was as a result of social network posting or directly through Garmin.  Anyone have input?
View Quote

If things fell apart where there was no GPS I'd just wear my citizen ecodrive.

IIRC that was people who had a step counter app on their phones.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dave Canterbury (yeah, I know) is making a cup specifically for it. Looks pretty good and looks like it shouldn't rattle.
View Quote

I'll have to watch outside of work, but I have a few that fit and for those that are slightly too big, I've found the versatile addition of a "pre-filter" bag is very handy to save the lifespan of your filter.

Grayl Pre-Filter

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can help here.

There are two different things at play. First, the 401 and 601 GPS systems have no automatic uplink to the internet. In other words, you're not going to be tracked with a GPS receiver like the 401 and 601.

Now, the specific issue you're talking about was where .mil folks were wearing fitness trackers that anonymously produced a heat map. The problem is that there wasn't supposed to be anything in that particular place, but there was a clear tracing of people walking around there.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/QQwgH7GoB1xvlcQMVBCXN-MRK-4=/0x0:1340x669/920x613/filters:focal(563x228:777x442):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/58483601/Screen_Shot_2018_01_28_at_1.55.31_PM.0.png

link to article

Your fitness watch like apple, galaxy, garmin, etc will usually sync to your phone and then the data will be uploaded to the owner of the app, like Samsung or Apple. They can use it however they wish.

The only time you should be worried about tracking with regards to your watch/phone is if you're being tracked by a three-letter agency.
View Quote

Thanks, @bcauz3y

Not sure if this uses 401 or 601 and a web search didn't elucidate.

I doubt anyone has an interest in tracking little ole me, but the final sentence hits on the meat of the matter.  The Fenix and others have GLONASS and GPS, and while I figure in a failure in civility the satellites will still be up and GPS working, I wouldn't wanna wear my watch for data and nav if 3 letter agencies could just select an area and "see" all the Garmins in that area.  Or if a decent hacker could do the same via Garmin or the satellites.  Don't wanna be a target for minding my own business.

So, do we ditch the GPS watches or are we safe to continue wearing them?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks, @bcauz3y

I doubt anyone has an interest in tracking little ole me, but the final sentence hits on the meat of the matter.  The Fenix and others have GLONASS and GPS, and while I figure in a failure in civility the satellites will still be up and GPS working, I wouldn't wanna wear my watch for data and nav if 3 letter agencies could just select an area and "see" all the Garmins in that area.  Or if a decent hacker could do the same via Garmin or the satellites.  Don't wanna be a target for minding my own business.

View Quote

The 401 and 601 are specific garmin units. Small wearable or mountable ones that can give you a track, navigate to a way point, or give you firing data if it has applied ballistics like the higher end versions.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The 401 and 601 are specific garmin units. Small wearable or mountable ones that can give you a track, navigate to a way point, or give you firing data if it has applied ballistics like the higher end versions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, @bcauz3y

The newer versions have "smart notifications", not something I personally want on a GPS.

Stay Connected

Smart notifications¹ — available on both devices — let you receive emails, texts and alerts from your mobile device right on your wrist. Use the Garmin Connect™ Mobile app to initiate the LiveTrack¹ feature to allow others to follow your journey (within cellular coverage). Other connected features include automatic uploads to our Garmin Connect™ online fitness community and automatic software updates when paired to a mobile device.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/572639
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
The only time you should be worried about tracking with regards to your watch/phone is if you're being tracked by a three-letter agency.

I’m part of the IC and work on a three-letter agency campus for the Army. They were pretty direct about encouraging employees NOT to use TikTok. All phones, iWatches, FitBits, or any transponding devices are prohibited. There’s a reason they won’t allow them at their own workplace…

ROCK6  

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The newer versions have "smart notifications", not something I personally want on a GPS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, @bcauz3y

Stay Connected

Smart notifications¹ — available on both devices — let you receive emails, texts and alerts from your mobile device right on your wrist. Use the Garmin Connect™ Mobile app to initiate the LiveTrack¹ feature to allow others to follow your journey (within cellular coverage). Other connected features include automatic uploads to our Garmin Connect™ online fitness community and automatic software updates when paired to a mobile device.

If you’re trying to be sneaky, you shouldn’t have your phone on you in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you’re trying to be sneaky, you shouldn’t have your phone on you in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, @bcauz3y

Stay Connected

Correct, my point was that the newer models have the ability to connect to another device, obviously wirelessly since you wear it on your wrist.  It says you can cut the notifications off but does that mean you completely shut it off or is still pinging or receptive for active signals in the background?  I don't know, I've only briefly looked into them since I rarely use the GPS I have (an older 60CSx that I need to replace since the SD card holder broke).

I only carry my phone with me about half the time and I have a basic Mission Darkness farady bag I can toss it in.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Apologies, I wasn't clear.

There are two broad classifications of GPS devices for the purposes of this conversation. There are more, like embedded, remote, etc - but they are out of scope for what we're talking about.

GPS Navigation Device (Portable GPS)

These devices are designed to operate independently. A most common example is used by .mil and .leo agenies, as well as SAR teams for the purposes of individual navigation. link to the Foretrex 601
I personally have these in every go-bag I have. They only "ping" satellites for the purposes of navigation and do not transmit their location to any cellular or wireless network. They're basically GPS receivers in a sense of the word. They are safe to use no matter what. You cannot be tracked with this device. There are some of these devices which come with intentional cellular or satellite communications mechanism. They are intended for survival location beaconing in case of an avalanche or shipwreck. Obviously, this isn't what you'll be using in your bag, but don't go intentionally buy a Garmin inReach if you're trying to move covertly.

snip
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, @bcauz3y

Apologies, I wasn't clear.

There are two broad classifications of GPS devices for the purposes of this conversation. There are more, like embedded, remote, etc - but they are out of scope for what we're talking about.

GPS Navigation Device (Portable GPS)

These devices are designed to operate independently. A most common example is used by .mil and .leo agenies, as well as SAR teams for the purposes of individual navigation. link to the Foretrex 601
I personally have these in every go-bag I have. They only "ping" satellites for the purposes of navigation and do not transmit their location to any cellular or wireless network. They're basically GPS receivers in a sense of the word. They are safe to use no matter what. You cannot be tracked with this device. There are some of these devices which come with intentional cellular or satellite communications mechanism. They are intended for survival location beaconing in case of an avalanche or shipwreck. Obviously, this isn't what you'll be using in your bag, but don't go intentionally buy a Garmin inReach if you're trying to move covertly.

snip

Thanks for the info.  I'm familiar with how the inReach, etc work but wasn't sure about the 601/701.  From the manual, Garmin states that it pairs with your phone (Garmin app required) or other fitness devices via Bluetooth, which must be switched on.  Looks like there is no need to find a NiB or factory refurbished 401.  

Owner's manual for reference.
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/foretrex601-701/EN-US/GUID-E58FDEFA-AAB7-447D-84AA-30D452E486E1-homepage.html
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I’m part of the IC and work on a three-letter agency campus for the Army. They were pretty direct about encouraging employees NOT to use TikTok. All phones, iWatches, FitBits, or any transponding devices are prohibited. There’s a reason they won’t allow them at their own workplace…

ROCK6  

View Quote

That's what I figured.  So the Garmin Fenix gets retired down the way, and replaced by an old school Luminox and a compass.  Just one more device to charge, anyway.

I'll continue to use it to track runs & workouts for now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Correct, my point was that the newer models have the ability to connect to another device, obviously wirelessly since you wear it on your wrist.  It says you can cut the notifications off but does that mean you completely shut it off or is still pinging or receptive for active signals in the background?  I don't know, I've only briefly looked into them since I rarely use the GPS I have (an older 60CSx that I need to replace since the SD card holder broke).

I only carry my phone with me about half the time and I have a basic Mission Darkness farady bag I can toss it in.
View Quote

From a brief readover, it looks like it bluetooths to your phone and your phone is what actually sends out/receives information.

Turn off the bluetooth and you're gtg.  Even if it is on, bluetooth only has a spitting-distance range.

I get the concern but in this case its nothing-burger.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

On that note, a GPS device is not a replacement for a compass and map.

Consider how incredibly important it is that you can find your way. It would only take a handful of armed goblins to force you to change your route or retreat in a direction you hadn't planned.

We look at the GPS devices as a luxury, but we have laminated maps for every state we travel in and also regularly do nav exercises. It's a perishable skill.

get a map like this

Get the right compass.

Northern Hemisphere UTM

Get your declination. (this changes constantly, so check it every couple of years)

Declination.

My advice would be to go hang out at Randall's Adventure Training or something similar.

Here is the PDF they provide for free. linky

View Quote

American Pioneer Corps also does free land nav exercises.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Of course, keep in mind that the .gov can throw "the switch" at any time and turn off .civ use of satellites for GPS.
View Quote

I don't know if you (or anyone) can answer this question, but I've always wondered about this.

If the .gov shuts down GPS for civvies, will glonast still work?  I figure it would since the US doesn't have a ton of sway with Russia, but who knows.

Seems like a good reason to get a receiver that can receive both tho.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Consider how incredibly important it is that you can find your way. It would only take a handful of armed goblins to force you to change your route or retreat in a direction you hadn't planned.

We look at the GPS devices as a luxury, but we have laminated maps for every state we travel in and also regularly do nav exercises. It's a perishable skill.

get a map like this

Get the right compass.

Northern Hemisphere UTM

Get your declination. (this changes constantly, so check it every couple of years)

Declination.

My advice would be to go hang out at Randall's Adventure Training or something similar.

View Quote

For maps, I love these books:

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yessir, the SPS version of GLONASS should still work normally.
View Quote

Cool, thanks.

That's what I figured but...I was wrong once before.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

get a map like this

Get the right compass.

Northern Hemisphere UTM

Declination.

For maps, I love these books:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/915n6wkkxRL._AC_UL320_.jpg

I've kept one in all of my vehicles for as long as I've been driving.  I write notes on the pages that are relevant to me, ex. some of the streams are seasonal, forestry service roads that are locked, locations of areas I may want to avoid in troubled times, possible hazmat choke points (ex. chemical spill at a paper mill, general wind direction and nearby roads that are likely to be closed), etc.  I want to be able to visualize a larger area than the average GPS or even tablet shows and figure out multiple routes.  Just part of an area study, which everyone should do.  

I can scan (or take a picture of) individual pages if needed and I have USGS topo maps for areas I frequent.  I'm one of the few people I know who still keeps maps in the door pocket of his truck; all wrapped inside a large Zip-loc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#35]
The Gazateers are very useful. Full of a lot of info and detailed enough to use on a very local basis. Not quite a 1:24k topo, but good for what they are.

On the phone thing: I know some guys who know about this stuff as part of their job. They won't talk about anything they wouldn't want the world to know, while in vicinity of a phone. Much less carry one to anyplace sensitive. I've not discussed GPS with them because I don't really use one. But I will next time I see them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've kept one in all of my vehicles for as long as I've been driving.  I write notes on the pages that are relevant to me, ex. some of the streams are seasonal, forestry service roads that are locked, locations of areas I may want to avoid in troubled times, possible hazmat choke points (ex. chemical spill at a paper mill, general wind direction and nearby roads that are likely to be closed), etc.  I want to be able to visualize a larger area than the average GPS or even tablet shows and figure out multiple routes.  Just part of an area study, which everyone should do.  

I can scan (or take a picture of) individual pages if needed and I have USGS topo maps for areas I frequent.  I'm one of the few people I know who still keeps maps in the door pocket of his truck; all wrapped inside a large Zip-loc.
View Quote

Yeah, I keep one behind my rear seats in my truck.

If you go to the USGS website you can download topo maps for free.  I've got the local ones saved on a device and they're fairly helpful.  But you can't write on them and using a compass with them can be tricky.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
@Rock6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN8nmGzwA4k

View Quote

In this video he also shows what appears to be a Sawyer Mini attached to a MSR Dromedary bag. I looked it up, and sure enough, the newer style Dromedary bag caps have a 28mm thread for the smaller cap.

You can buy the cap by itself for about $7.50:
https://www.rei.com/product/114974/msr-3-in-1-hydration-cap
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One thing to.

Eye pro?.

We hit that topic yet.

I’m a goner!
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#39]
For maps and such I thought this was an interesting video. I like the open street mapping app.

I know, a Trex video on a Garand Thumb thread.

Mapping Tools
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@Rock6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN8nmGzwA4k

View Quote

That stainless cup looks nice, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wear a Casio pathfinder. It's ~12 years old and on it's third band but it's still working perfectly. It's solar and set by the atomic clock via satellite. I'd trust any solar G-Shock watch also.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Pic of everything I'm taking to warfighter.

Deets to follow when I have time to type.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:35:21 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Are you gonna ride the rocking horse to get there???!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:08:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Are you gonna ride the rocking horse to get there???!
View Quote

Cars are loud and gas will be limited in the event of societal breakdown.

Of course I'm gonna ride the horse.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Of course, keep in mind that the .gov can throw "the switch" at any time and turn off .civ use of satellites for GPS.
View Quote

Do they turn them off or just turn on Selective Availability?  If DOD turns them off then DOD can't use them.  You can't stop the signal if it's on.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They would just turn on SA, but...

Actually, turns out that my information is dated.

This means that any modern GPS satellites do not have the SA feature.

View Quote

That surprises me that they would delete that feature.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
On morale patches making you identifiable, yes, absolutely.  I bought one anyhow.    Love me my morale patches. Sorry you got rid of yours- did you sell em off? If or when shit goes sideways, tits-up or otherwise in a bad way, I will sterilize my gear of morale patches.  Fun in the meanwhile.

As for goggles and eye pro, aside from sunglasses, I have a couple pairs of these Bolle ballistic goggles, in tan and black.  $20 shipped from Botach.  https://botach.com/bolle-x1000-tactical-goggles-anti-fog-anti-scratch-ballistic-lens/  They have a great semi-hard shell case, much better than the ESS canvas style carry bag.

If anyone is looking for a sweet deal on a lightweight 2person tent, Kelty 2019 model is $120, weighs 4.5 lbs.

For boots, my go to is Rocky S2V's.  Love em.  Have a pair of 6" from another company that are super comfy that are a close second.
View Quote

4.5lb is way heavy for a modern tent, take a look at the lanshan 1 or 2 tents & make your own poles from a surplus TCOP pole off ebay. I prefer the lanshan 1 original since you can use just the inner as a bug net, together with the fly or tarp depending on circumstances.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

4.5lb is way heavy for a modern tent, take a look at the lanshan 1 or 2 tents & make your own poles from a surplus TCOP pole off ebay. I prefer the lanshan 1 original since you can use just the inner as a bug net, together with the fly or tarp depending on circumstances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a two person, so you would split the body and poles between you and your wife, let's say.  Easily manageable.  It isn't an ultralight tent for hiking the AT, but something for casual camping or backpacking, and it was offered in that regard for consideration since it is a great deal.  I remember buying north face and Sierra design tents like this for $250, so $119 is a steal, especially for quality.

As previously discussed in the thread, for bugging out or a 3-4 day recon, a tent isn't even going to be used.  Just a tarp or fly for wind/rain and your gortex shell or maybe a bivvy sack or poncho liner.

Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top