Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 32
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I spy a Rite in the Rain pad. You're gonna do great.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
View Quote

That's a weird looking Glock.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Speaking of eye protection and glasses, a spare pair of inexpensive but durable glasses is a good idea if you need them to see, same with reading glasses.  Not being able to remove a splinter or thorn (some thorns for example get infected quickly), thread a needle to repair a piece of gear, read a map or GPS, etc. is going to suck.  Even a low powered pair of readers can make it easier to see things up close in detail if needed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's a two person, so you would split the body and poles between you and your wife, let's say.  Easily manageable.  It isn't an ultralight tent for hiking the AT, but something for casual camping or backpacking, and it was offered in that regard for consideration since it is a great deal.  I remember buying north face and Sierra design tents like this for $250, so $119 is a steal, especially for quality.

As previously discussed in the thread, for bugging out or a 3-4 day recon, a tent isn't even going to be used.  Just a tarp or fly for wind/rain and your gortex shell or maybe a bivvy sack or poncho liner.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On morale patches making you identifiable, yes, absolutely.  I bought one anyhow.    Love me my morale patches. Sorry you got rid of yours- did you sell em off? If or when shit goes sideways, tits-up or otherwise in a bad way, I will sterilize my gear of morale patches.  Fun in the meanwhile.

As for goggles and eye pro, aside from sunglasses, I have a couple pairs of these Bolle ballistic goggles, in tan and black.  $20 shipped from Botach.  https://botach.com/bolle-x1000-tactical-goggles-anti-fog-anti-scratch-ballistic-lens/  They have a great semi-hard shell case, much better than the ESS canvas style carry bag.

If anyone is looking for a sweet deal on a lightweight 2person tent, Kelty 2019 model is $120, weighs 4.5 lbs.
Kelty free standing 3 season tent, alum poles, $120

For boots, my go to is Rocky S2V's.  Love em.  Have a pair of 6" from another company that are super comfy that are a close second.

4.5lb is way heavy for a modern tent, take a look at the lanshan 1 or 2 tents & make your own poles from a surplus TCOP pole off ebay. I prefer the lanshan 1 original since you can use just the inner as a bug net, together with the fly or tarp depending on circumstances.

It's a two person, so you would split the body and poles between you and your wife, let's say.  Easily manageable.  It isn't an ultralight tent for hiking the AT, but something for casual camping or backpacking, and it was offered in that regard for consideration since it is a great deal.  I remember buying north face and Sierra design tents like this for $250, so $119 is a steal, especially for quality.

As previously discussed in the thread, for bugging out or a 3-4 day recon, a tent isn't even going to be used.  Just a tarp or fly for wind/rain and your gortex shell or maybe a bivvy sack or poncho liner.

I hate tents
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Speaking of eye protection and glasses, a spare pair of inexpensive but durable glasses is a good idea if you need them to see, same with reading glasses.  Not being able to remove a splinter or thorn (some thorns for example get infected quickly), thread a needle to repair a piece of gear, read a map or GPS, etc. is going to suck.  Even a low powered pair of readers can make it easier to see things up close in detail if needed.
View Quote

I e been fortunate that for the last 24 years I've been wearing glasses my script has barely changed. I typically just get new glasses when they get scratched or broken.

I have a hoard of pretty decent backups. Unfortunately they're scattered throughout my bags
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I hate tents
View Quote

I do too, and have a small hammock that tucks in a bag the size of a few pairs of socks. I also keep a gi woobie in my pack and have thought about sewing a zipper on it, and draw string tube at one end to be able to put it around the hammock.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I do too, and have a small hammock that tucks in a bag the size of a few pairs of socks. I also keep a gi woobie in my pack and have thought about sewing a zipper on it, and draw string tube at one end to be able to put it around the hammock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate tents

I'm a sylny tarp kinda guy in the rain and snow. Otherwise I like to sleep under the stars
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm a sylny tarp kinda guy in the rain and snow. Otherwise I like to sleep under the stars
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/facebook_14948012624951-432111_jpeg-2398091.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate tents

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/facebook_14948012624951-432111_jpeg-2398091.JPG

Same, but the mosquitos and no see ums (biting midges and throw in the deer flies for extra fun) can make that a miserable proposition around here, especially when it's hot and humid and you really don't want any more covers on you than you need.  With as many rivers, creeks and swampy lowlands as we have down here the woods are teaming with them during the warmer months, which is most of the year.  I carry a piece of mosquito netting in my bag to drape over my head (usually supported by putting a stick on either side of my head) but to actually get a decent nights sleep a tent is really the way to go- as much as it sucks to carry one.

I have no idea if it's actually true or not but I remember reading that some of the gold rush miners in Alaska and BC went nuts from all of the summer mosquitos; if they're as bad as they are here at times I can understand why.  

ETA- DEET works but isn't good for you or your gear and some folks are good at smelling it; not ideal if you're trying to be stealthy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Same, but the mosquitos and no see ums (biting midges and throw in the deer flies for extra fun) can make that a miserable proposition around here, especially when it's hot and humid and you really don't want any more covers on you than you need.  With as many rivers, creeks and swampy lowlands as we have down here the woods are teaming with them during the warmer months, which is most of the year.  I carry a piece of mosquito netting in my bag to drape over my head (usually supported by putting a stick on either side of my head) but to actually get a decent nights sleep a tent is really the way to go- as much as it sucks to carry one.

I have no idea if it's actually true or not but I remember reading that some of the gold rush miners in Alaska and BC went nuts from all of the summer mosquitos; if they're as bad as they are here at times I can understand why.  

ETA- DEET works but isn't good for you or your gear and some folks are good at smelling it; not ideal if you're trying to be stealthy.
View Quote

A mosquito net "tent" is a good idea. I've always just sucked it up and dealt with them. A fire plus a pipe works really well and they typically go away at night. It's dusk that sucks.

Now that I'm about to go camping with my 3yo I'm either going to have to find a tent I stored somewhere or get a new one. I want him to have a good experience.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I also have a hennessy hammock with the bug net, I can use the tarp I have already with it. Or use the factory rain fly, but the weight is about 2 lbs. The other hammock I have weighs like 8oz or so.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah you're not gonna survive a night in Texas without a bugnet. The Lanshan (early version, not the PRO one) inner can be set up with a trekking pole/DIY pole/stick/hung from the apex and use that as-is, or under a tarp (I like the British Basha) or use the fly. Khaki color blends well here. Inner by itself is 12oz

Just another option.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:52:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A mosquito net "tent" is a good idea. I've always just sucked it up and dealt with them. A fire plus a pipe works really well and they typically go away at night. It's dusk that sucks.

Now that I'm about to go camping with my 3yo I'm either going to have to find a tent I stored somewhere or get a new one. I want him to have a good experience.
View Quote

My sil tarp set up is.

Siltarp
5x7 treated ripstop nylon ( think self treated silnylon) its weighs 4 oz.
Cot sized bug net.

I hang the net under the tarp and stake down to tie outs etc on my ground sheet.

Bug free except for the..

ZzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzz,zzzzz z
All night  
Lol.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate tents

Is that an old pic or did ya get a new Walker buddy?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate tents

Old old pic
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I found my old tent.
Attachment Attached File

Fuck it's muggy. I slept under the stars in the Philippines more comfortably.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I found my old tent.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20220527_114557_jpg-2398715.JPG

View Quote

This one is basically a bug net, unless you add the fly, for wind and rain.
Still on sale.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Still on sale.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/491499/5C7B3C80-D277-4973-BCDD-E43688324E85_png-2398727.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found my old tent.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20220527_114557_jpg-2398715.JPG

Still on sale.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/491499/5C7B3C80-D277-4973-BCDD-E43688324E85_png-2398727.JPG

Thanks, that looks good. I was looking at this one.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My sil tarp set up is.

Siltarp
Cot sized bug net.

I hang the net under the tarp and stake down to tie outs etc on my ground sheet.

All night  
Lol.
View Quote

Serious question: why not just get a single person ultra-light tent? I'm still trying to figure out the allure of tarps + peripherals (bug net, ground cover, etc. etc.) vs a minimalist tent setup. The new ones take all of 60 seconds to set up and weigh...well, about as much as a tarp + all the peripherals. And it's just one piece of gear
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Serious question: why not just get a single person ultra-light tent? I'm still trying to figure out the allure of tarps + peripherals (bug net, ground cover, etc. etc.) vs a minimalist tent setup. The new ones take all of 60 seconds to set up and weigh...well, about as much as a tarp + all the peripherals. And it's just one piece of gear
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My sil tarp set up is.

Siltarp
Cot sized bug net.

All night  
Lol.

For me I only use it when it rains. You don't have to worry about a dog tearing the floor, and they're more flexible to setting up in tight spots.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Based on some videos I've seen of the mosquito clouds surrounding a hiker in AK, yeah, I can see that.

Had similar experiences on a kayak camping trip in the northern part of MI's lower peninsula. Swarms of skeeters. DEET/Picaridin only works until you seat it off (or it gets washed off your hands, on the water). Assholes can/will find the one patch of bare skin.

Friend had warned me in advance, so I bought one of those head net things to wear over a boonie cap (keeps the net away from skin, otherwise, the skeeters will just land and poke through it).

Yeah, in the warmer months, a tent with a good no-see-um mesh is a big help (I've got the older/discontinued for some reason Alps Zephyr 2, and Zephyr 3 model, and a Mountain Hardwear Vision 3 model with are all-mesh uppers for bug-free ventilation/stargazing). The Zephyr 2 is great for man + kid/well-behaved dog, but as with all tents, the sizing/occupant claims are snug for 2 adults. Prefer 3-man sizes for 2 adults (and the rain fly vestibule adds room for keeping equipment/packs/boots dry, and/or cooking in the rain).

Other thing to consider, is stupid mosquito borne crap like West Nile and Eastern Equine Encephalitis. Bad enough  to get that crap in normal times with full access to med facilities. Getting that crap in SHTF...
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. A good experience early/young is the key. A crappy experience early can/will put them off the whole thing.

A few considerations specifically wrt to taking the lil one out, and not specific to BoB/GHB use:

- check the reviews on that Kelty. They don't seem to be that encouraging.
- how warm/hot can it stay after dark in your AO? Here in MI summers, in the hottest part of the year, it can still be in the 80s at night (and the damned skeeters may be worst at dusk,  but they'll still happily feast on you through the night). This is important in considering whether to spend the extra time/money looking specifically for an all-mesh tent, or the other tent you posted.

While ANY mesh will affect light breezes, on hot nights without rain, the all-mesh ones are still loads better than the ones that only have mesh doors and windows.

- you're a big dude. Make sure the tent has enough room
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks, that looks good. I was looking at this one.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/Screenshot_20220527-120535_png-2398731.JPG
View Quote

Hard to beat $62, and usually REI brand is quality gear.  Kinda looks weird, but who cares if it's functional.

ETA I reviewed the REI tent... drawbacks are fiberglass poles (no good in winter and snap after aging) and solid walls, mesh only on ceiling and upper doors.  Fly only covers top 1/3.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Where's your illegal cell phone jammer, or a fake one to look impressive?  

RF jammers are illegal to own in the USA.  So that's probably a fake one.  I should build a fake one to wear on my vest to impress!

I like GT, but sometimes he goes over the top and it loses appeal. This is one of those times.  Putting an illegal device on one's tactical vest for Youtube is just like putting some gold bling around one's neck.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Regarding bug juice as mentioned upthread:

DEET works against most biting insects and ticks, but eats plastic.

I've found the Sawyer Products picaridin-based stuff to work well against skeeters, gnats, midges, and ticks. It doesn't eat plastic nor does it have a strong smell. IMO that in combination with treating your gear and clothes with permethrin is a good combination.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Old old pic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate tents

Old old pic

Sorry.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

RF jammers are illegal to own in the USA.  So that's probably a fake one.  I should build a fake one to wear on my vest to impress!

I like GT, but sometimes he goes over the top and it loses appeal. This is one of those times.  Putting an illegal device on one's tactical vest for Youtube is just like putting some gold bling around one's neck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Jammer or AN/PRC-163 multi-channel radio (or some other multi-channel)?  He never really shows it or mentions it and I've never seen one of the newer radios in person so I don't know.  The three equal length antennas do look more like a jammer but it looks like he's got his push to talk and some other wires running to/from it as well.  Probably some piece of issued gear, it's pretty common for him to have something he's testing or figuring out how to incorporate into his various setups in his videos.  

That said, if things get to the point where my busted up self is running around with a long gun and camo, much less having to do some sort of "mission", we're well past the point of me caring what the FCC has to say about anything.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I found my old tent.

View Quote

I would hate that tent, too.

I use a section of loose bug net, in combo with a tarp. Just drape it over me. It weighs nothing. If the bugs are particularly tenacious, I suspend it with a ridge line, running under the tarp. Usually have a ridgeline, anyway. Helps keep the tarp in tight pitch without as much stress on the actual fabric, and gives me a place to hang stuff like wet socks, head light, etc.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Personal preference.

Tarp is still lighter (than any tent I've seen)
Can be pitched in many ways allowing for buttoned down, or more ventilation.
Can exit quicker.
Can pitch taller, so you're not crawling through the mud to get in.
Can conform to the area available.
Allows more connection to the "outside"

Cons:
Allows you to sleep with all the friendly critters that decide they want to bunk with you.
Lack of the micro climate a tent provides in the winter
Takes more skill to set up.
Not as fast as some tents but faster than others, with skill and practice.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Jammer or AN/PRC-163 multi-channel radio (or some other multi-channel)?  He never really shows it or mentions it and I've never seen one of the newer radios in person so I don't know.  The three equal length antennas do look more like a jammer but it looks like he's got his push to talk and some other wires running to/from it as well.  Probably some piece of issued gear, it's pretty common for him to have something he's testing or figuring out how to incorporate into his various setups in his videos.  

That said, if things get to the point where my busted up self is running around with a long gun and camo, much less having to do some sort of "mission", we're well past the point of me caring what the FCC has to say about anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That ^

I'd have one for my own reasons, and for any dumbasses around me that can't handle comsec.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My sil tarp set up is.

Siltarp
Cot sized bug net.

All night  
Lol.

Versatility.

Set up anywhere. Just wrap yourself in it if nothing else. Plus, on cold nights you can use a small stove to knock off the chill if you’re so inclined. You certainly can’t do that with anything that’s got a built in floor.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My $.02 on tents and hammocks...

You can't get out of them fast enough, you've got limited situational awareness, and they get left behind if you need to move quickly.

My solution is an old school roll-up pad, a poncho with liner, and a mosquito net.

You can tear it down and smash it into a bag in seconds, it weighs nothing, every component is useful for multiple things and you can maintain 270 deg of visibility/awareness.
View Quote

I don't know. I've seen people exit a hammock pretty damn fast.

I can get out of the Hennessy quick and quiet but you are totally in a cocoon. I don't like it and don't use it even recreationally. I hate the feeling of being deaf and blind. Very exposed and vulnerable feel.

View from my tarp.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Versatility.

Set up anywhere. Just wrap yourself in it if nothing else. Plus, on cold nights you can use a small stove to knock off the chill if you’re so inclined. You certainly can’t do that with anything that’s got a built in floor.
View Quote

I use either a tent or a tarp setup.  I understand the benefits of each, and which one I use depends on the situation.  

But you can certainly set up a stove in a tent, just need to protect the floor, and the ground tarp you likely have under the tent.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Training them young

Spending the night under the stars. Already. Not. Excited.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Shoot a fellow could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that!

Any updates or lessons learned after WFC?
View Quote

Yep. Have a small phone keyboard and once I get back home I'll get a big write up.

Ruck went well and I cut about 20 minutes off of last year's time.

Huge fuck up I had on the land nav was where I was shooting my azimuth on the WRONG mountain and spent four hours ranting because I KNEW the point was supposed to be there.

I could have knocked it out in like 15 minutes but I was dead certain I was right and wasted way too much time.

Only found one other point before it started getting late and I was pissed off.

Partner and I KILLED on the o-course though even in a downpour.  We had the 2nd fastest time and were only off the fastest by a few minutes.

An Eotech with a magnifier and a Pistol with a red dot are almost like cheating.

@S1W and I both ran the same combos and he is a VERY good shot.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep. Have a small phone keyboard and once I get back home I'll get a big write up.

Ruck went well and I cut about 20 minutes off of last year's time.

Huge fuck up I had on the land nav was where I was shooting my azimuth on the WRONG mountain and spent four hours ranting because I KNEW the point was supposed to be there.

I could have knocked it out in like 15 minutes but I was dead certain I was right and wasted way too much time.

Only found one other point before it started getting late and I was pissed off.

Partner and I KILLED on the o-course though even in a downpour.  We had the 2nd fastest time and were only off the fastest by a few minutes.

An Eotech with a magnifier and a Pistol with a red dot are almost like cheating.

@S1W and I both ran the same combos and he is a VERY good shot.
View Quote

Good work!  Looking forward to hearing more.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's been a few weeks since I watched the video but I think that's a MANET radio, not a cell phone jammer.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Can't tell if serious.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Its a little late but here's a breakdown of what I brought to Warfighter and why.

For those who don't know, American Pioneer Corps puts on an annual event called the Warfighter Challenge consisting of 36 hours of events including a 12 mile ruck with 35-50 lbs, an 8 point land nav course split between day and night, and a mile and half obstacle course with both pistol and rifle targets.

My pack consisted of the following bottom to top:

Camelbak
Sleeping bag
Battery Pack for Phone
Helmet battery back ups
Rain Poncho
One Man Tent
Binder with map, protractor, sharpie and paper
ar15
Mess Kit
Bivvy Sack
Harbor Freight Rope
Two Mechanical Pencils
Pistol
Military Style Compass
Red Camp .8 liter Boiler
Life Straw
Sawyer Filter
Water Purification tablets
Weapon Batteries
Two Lighters
Helmet with Nods
Tarp
Write in the Rain
Fenix PD35
Red Lense for Light
Hatchet
War Belt
TYT MD-UV390
Plate Carrier
50 Feet of Paracord
Ecotek Sleeping pad
IFAK
Cliff Blocks
Vortex Binos
Vortex Rangfinder
Emergency Rations
Jar of Peanut Butter
2 x MSR Isopro Fuel cans
4 x Kind Bars
4 x Cliff Bars
6 x Various PEAK meals
MSR Pocket Rocket 2 Ultralight
Cleaning Kit for both pistol and rifle
E-tool

I ended up using everything but the life straw, filter, HF rope and hatchet at one point or another.

I could probably cut out the war belt since I could carry 150 rounds on my chest and just have more in my pack.

In a real situation I could also probably cut out the camping food and stick with the peanut butter and rations and still have about 7400 calories.  The life straw could also probably go.

The actual ruck was 12 miles with 35lbs.

Outside of the tent, plates, sleeping bag, tarp and hatchet, mostly everything else was in my pack and I was right around 35 lbs before water, probably 50 total including the rifle and pistol The only item missing was my garmin fortrex which was left behind by mistake, but other than that I didn't have anything I felt a pressing need for.  The camelbak however was a tremendous pain in the ass and leaked 2 or 3 times during the event.  I don't mean little leaks either, and I ended up with a liter of water on my ass a few times.  Two were because the straw wasn't closed, and one was where the actual bladder did not seal correctly.  Both of which were my fault, but it has made me second guess my hydration source.

Other Takeaways

Nods are great.  Everyone should get them.

Eotechs with a magnifier are OP.  I may or may not try an LPVO, but I hit a hefty amount of targets with that combo.

Pistols with Red dots are also OP.  Everyone should get them.

Having molle on the outside of your pack is fantastic and allows you a lot more flexibility.  Would recommend getting a pack with molle.  Also if you do have NODs don't get a tall pack which which will push your head down when you have em on.

Liners are Great.

Salomon is Great.

Wool socks are also great.

Highly recommend people in this thread try to attend next year.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here are some boomer memes to make you feel better.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

They're not laughing with you they're laughing at you!

(sorry dude)

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#45]
There's ALWAYS next year though.

You're gonna join us... right?
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
There's ALWAYS next year though.

You're gonna join us... right?
View Quote

I have to and the wife wants to as well.  The only problem is she's probably going to get dibs on having me as her battle buddy if she goes.    

The good news for me is she worked at Philmont Scout Ranch as a Ranger, Training Ranger and Rayado Ranger leading expeditions for up to two weeks in the northern New Mexico mountains.  She's rusty but knows land nav and how to carry a heavy pack a long way and live out of it.  She was also on the Philmont SAR team and actually got to litter carry a lightning strike victim off a mountain with her team.  She still tries to do one 7 day mountain backpacking trip each year there.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have to and the wife wants to as well.  The only problem is she's probably going to get dibs on having me as her battle buddy if she goes.    

The good news for me is she worked at Philmont Scout Ranch as a Ranger, Training Ranger and Rayado Ranger leading expeditions for up to two weeks in the northern New Mexico mountains.  She's rusty but knows land nav and how to carry a heavy pack a long way and live out of it.  She was also on the Philmont SAR team and actually got to litter carry a lightning strike victim off a mountain with her team.  She still tries to do one 7 day mountain backpacking trip each year there.
View Quote

Awesome, you guys will be in great shape.

The competition this year was a little fierce.

We had a hardcode mountain climber, two marines who run marathons for fun, the top civilian team from 2020 and me.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Having shared your experience, I moved to these:

www.amazon.com/dp/B008S9DYLC

Haven't had any trouble since. If you don't go with this one, make sure the drinking tube is insulated. Having it freeze up is like not having it at all, but you still get to carry the weight.
View Quote

I like that, especially the open top so you can get in there and clean them better.

The next time I change out a bladder I may go this direction.
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top